Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

iPhone - Are you getting one?

Read 129353 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: iPhone - Are you getting one?
      Reply #667: Oct 26, 2015 01:47:46 pm
      Apart from an HTC, I've never had this dying 18 months in problem. Never stuck with a brand or even a service provider, always look for the best deal for me and this time may be the first time I''ll go sim only.  My note 3 shows no sign of dying and does what I need it to do, though lots of apps I've never even opened.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #668: Oct 26, 2015 04:29:10 pm
      Give your Samsung about 12 months and then you will start hating it. Have a couple of friends and they loved theirs until about 8-12 months in. One is now on iPhone (his first, he was always Android) and the other is thinking about going back to an iPhone.

I started in Android (HTC) 3 phones back, like it till about 18 months and then couldn't wait to get rid of it. I'm a Windows guy too, no Apple fanboy here, I strongly dislike Mac OSX. But as for phones, I like iOS and have been nothing but happy with my last and current iPhones.

iPhones are defective sometimes too, plus they don't have the warranty to protect them past the initial 12 months, whereas Android phones have a warranty for the length of the 24 month contracts.

I have helped and served many, many people who have owned a Samsung. I think I've had one serious complaint about the OS slowing down due to faulty hardware and that was dealt with by our repair center. They received a free replacement phone, which you wouldn't get with Apple as they were 16 months into their contract.

In fact, people have actually wanted their iPhones repaired as the buttons were knackered, the speakers went, the software fu**ed up - and I had to tell them that Apple don't cover the phones after a year so they're stuck with it. They now mostly want to switch to Android.

In addition, hundreds of people have switched from iOS to Android based on my recommendation, and they've all been happy with the move - either that, or they're all too pissed off to come back and bite my head off. Either/or.

What exactly was it that your friends hated about their Samsung devices?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #669: Oct 26, 2015 04:58:59 pm
      iPhones are defective sometimes too, plus they don't have the warranty to protect them past the initial 12 months, whereas Android phones have a warranty for the length of the 24 month contracts.

I have helped and served many, many people who have owned a Samsung. I think I've had one serious complaint about the OS slowing down due to faulty hardware and that was dealt with by our repair center. They received a free replacement phone, which you wouldn't get with Apple as they were 16 months into their contract.

In fact, people have actually wanted their iPhones repaired as the buttons were knackered, the speakers went, the software fu**ed up - and I had to tell them that Apple don't cover the phones after a year so they're stuck with it. They now mostly want to switch to Android.

In addition, hundreds of people have switched from iOS to Android based on my recommendation, and they've all been happy with the move - either that, or they're all too pissed off to come back and bite my head off. Either/or.

What exactly was it that your friends hated about their Samsung devices?

Just random flakiness, blue screen type hardware errors, slowness, battery issues, although you can at least replace the batteries easily unlike iPhones. On my HTC once I upgraded to the newest OS my phone would just randomly slow down, throw errors, etc....

I like the backup process for iPhones as well, it's pretty simple and pretty reliable. And being in IT Security, iPhones aren't near as prone to hacking as Android devices although I'd wager that I put more emphasis on that than normal users would.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #670: Oct 26, 2015 05:27:44 pm
      Just random flakiness, blue screen type hardware errors, slowness, battery issues, although you can at least replace the batteries easily unlike iPhones. On my HTC once I upgraded to the newest OS my phone would just randomly slow down, throw errors, etc....

I like the backup process for iPhones as well, it's pretty simple and pretty reliable. And being in IT Security, iPhones aren't near as prone to hacking as Android devices although I'd wager that I put more emphasis on that than normal users would.

Yeah sometimes you'll get that although it can happen with any device. iPhones are definitely not immune to slowing down due to software.

Backing up is just as easy with your Google account. All you have to do is login through WiFi and it's done. Just like iCloud. Also, if you delete your photos by mistake then Google will store backups for 30 days.

Android OS will have more backdoors as it's essentially open-source and devs can code it to their own liking. Sometimes that's the price you pay for customisability (that's now a word, Chrome...). Mind you, remember the iCloud debacle? User data & content leaked. Nothing that severe has happened with Google.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #671: Nov 24, 2015 10:38:52 pm
      Phone wise I'm an Android user and always have been simply because I've always found you get a better phone for your money on Android.

Having said that I do use iPod for my music and after having an old Nano for a while now I've taken the plunge and bought a new iPod Touch today with some money gave to me for my birthday and Xmas.

Now I know some people will find it weird having a separate device for calls and music but I've always been like this and after only an hour or so with the new touch I can say it's a fantastic bit of kit.

« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2015 11:20:36 pm by srslfc »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #672: Nov 24, 2015 11:13:21 pm
      Yeah sometimes you'll get that although it can happen with any device. iPhones are definitely not immune to slowing down due to software.

Backing up is just as easy with your Google account. All you have to do is login through WiFi and it's done. Just like iCloud. Also, if you delete your photos by mistake then Google will store backups for 30 days.

Android OS will have more backdoors as it's essentially open-source and devs can code it to their own liking. Sometimes that's the price you pay for customisability (that's now a word, Chrome...). Mind you, remember the iCloud debacle? User data & content leaked. Nothing that severe has happened with Google.

Yea, the iCloud debacle wasn't really one though. Someone got into people's accounts due to weak passwords (if that's the one you are referring to). That's a whole lot different than having a vulnerability that the vendor doesn't fix. They can't force people to have good passwords. Or as I like to say in my line of work....you can't patch stupid.

;D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #673: Nov 24, 2015 11:15:18 pm
      Phone wise I'm an Android user and always have been simply because I've always found you get a better phone for you're money on Android.

This would raise an interesting topic of discussion. I would actually say that you get more for your money with an iPhone because after 2 years, the device still has a pretty high residual value if you want to outright sell it to one of the many resellers. When I went from my 4S to the 6, I got $200 for my old phone which basically all but paid off my new device. Now I haven't had an Android in awhile, but I don't ever recall getting that kind of a deal for a 2.5 year old Android device. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #674: Nov 24, 2015 11:24:01 pm
      This would raise an interesting topic of discussion. I would actually say that you get more for your money with an iPhone because after 2 years, the device still has a pretty high residual value if you want to outright sell it to one of the many resellers. When I went from my 4S to the 6, I got $200 for my old phone which basically all but paid off my new device. Now I haven't had an Android in awhile, but I don't ever recall getting that kind of a deal for a 2.5 year old Android device. 

Interesting point FL and I have no real way of debating the point though as I never end up selling my old phone as I've either gave it to a family member or broken it before upgrade.

I'm sure a top end android like a S6 would hold good value though and I think costs less over the life of a contract than an iPhone.

MsGerrard
      Reply #675: Nov 25, 2015 04:53:14 pm
      I've just upgraded my i-phone 4s to an i-phone 6s and its a beautiful sleek phone, very happy indeed with it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #676: Nov 25, 2015 04:59:18 pm
      I've just upgraded my i-phone 4s to an i-phone 6s and its a beautiful sleek phone, very happy indeed with it.

That's a nice jump in technology Ms G.

I would recommend a tempered glass screen protector. I picked one up for Amazon for about $8 and it's saved me a few times already.  I also have a case that covers the corner as I found the new design is a bit slippery and being bigger, I had a little getting used to the size of it in my hand.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #677: Nov 25, 2015 05:25:05 pm

I would recommend a tempered glass screen protector. I picked one up for Amazon for about $8 and it's saved me a few times already.  I also have a case that covers the corner as I found the new design is a bit slippery and being bigger, I had a little getting used to the size of it in my hand.

I'd had the 4 for over two years FL, so jumped straight to the 6, they gave me a very good deal so I couldnt resist. I've got a nice case for it, but yes, my boyfriend said I should get a screen protector which I probably will, its so much than the 4, but feels much lighter in the hand.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #678: Nov 25, 2015 05:31:33 pm

I noticed the slippery style of my Touch as well FL and think I will get a cover for it as well.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #679: Nov 25, 2015 07:08:51 pm
      I noticed the slippery style of my Touch as well FL and think I will get a cover for it as well.

I hate having a cover on my phone, but also dislike having a scratched up, screen busted phone as well ;D

I have found that I can get a clear TPU case on Amazon usually for around $10. The only downside to the clear is that it will yellow over time, but at $10 you can always just snag a new one. It's very slim and doesn't add anything at all to the phone, but does protect the corners.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #680: Sep 07, 2016 02:27:04 am
      Yesterday, today, and probably even tomorrow.

Whatever time-zone you are in, Apple will be unveiling their new line of tech today (Sept 7) and in this case, iPhones. Number 7 to be exact.

I'm very intrigued to see what they have to offer compared to their competitors in 2016's market. Especially after Samsung's latest safety and PR fiasco, Samsung have issued a 'global recall' of ALL Note 7's (due to batteries exploding) right before Apple's conference event.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tim Cook got his d*** out on stage and waved it around with glee, it still wouldn't be as bad as the Note 7 potentially burning your house down. The ball is in Apple's court. But will the iPhone be as impressive as what most Android companies have released this year? (2K screens for example).

So I'll pose the question to you again, iPhone 7 - are you buying one?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #681: Sep 07, 2016 03:36:30 am
      Ill be buying a 7 as the battery in my 6 is about useless after two years but I don't want to mess with replacing it. It's not going to be a major leap forward although it will likely have a much improved camera (especially the 7 plus), faster processors (making it the fastest phone by an even larger margin) and a better battery as well as waterproofing. The 8 is really going to be the major leap forward but don't think I can wait that long.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,248 posts | 2848 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #682: Sep 07, 2016 08:01:45 pm
      Wireless earphones buds, seriously WTF?

Ill be buying a 7 as the battery in my 6 is about useless after two years but I don't want to mess with replacing it. It's not going to be a major leap forward although it will likely have a much improved camera (especially the 7 plus), faster processors (making it the fastest phone by an even larger margin) and a better battery as well as waterproofing. The 8 is really going to be the major leap forward but don't think I can wait that long.

What they don't tell you, is you need to drain the battery regularly, to keep all the cells active, I do mine one a week.

The phone thinks all is ok, but less and less of the battery is able to hold a charge. Don't keep it plugged in all the time, the 100% looks great, but it's killing the battery.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #683: Sep 07, 2016 11:46:52 pm
      Wireless earphones buds, seriously WTF?

What they don't tell you, is you need to drain the battery regularly, to keep all the cells active, I do mine one a week.

The phone thinks all is ok, but less and less of the battery is able to hold a charge. Don't keep it plugged in all the time, the 100% looks great, but it's killing the battery.

I usually do drain it once a week at least, in fact, because I travel so much I usually drain it once a day. I really do overuse a phone with all of the travel I have for work so its not a surprise and I will say it's a pain that I just can't replace a battery easily. But I do really like the phone.  It's my second iPhone and I don't see any reason to switch. He android before that, wasn't too impressed.

I like the idea of the wireless airpods but not sure I'd pay $169 for them.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #684: Sep 08, 2016 10:58:43 am
      Lithium-ion batteries which work much better and last longer than their nickel-cadmium predecessors. First of all, they are not susceptible to the memory effect which means you can recharge them at any time. In fact, lithium-ions will last longer if you never allow them to fully discharge.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,248 posts | 2848 
      Reply #685: Sep 08, 2016 11:01:09 am
      I usually do drain it once a week at least, in fact, because I travel so much I usually drain it once a day. I really do overuse a phone with all of the travel I have for work so its not a surprise and I will say it's a pain that I just can't replace a battery easily. But I do really like the phone.  It's my second iPhone and I don't see any reason to switch. He android before that, wasn't too impressed.

In that case, sounds like another Apple not actually making a product that works.

My iPhone5 battery kept dying at 30%, contract was up, so got a reasonable deal on a 5S 32gb rather than an expensive deal on an iPhone6.

Seem I made a good choice. But why should Apple worry with all the power packs available.

I noticed a lot of places in the US have free charging points, I wonder if there is collusion with Apple and shops that provide charging points? Cough cough Starbucks, cough cough tax not being paid.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #686: Sep 08, 2016 11:02:36 am

Absolutely. Anyone at all up to date with tech would guess that wired headphones as they exist now will eventually become redundant. The issues arise when a company like Apple force the change by completely removing compatibility with standard tech and making you buy yet another apple peripheral so that you can listen to some music.

Basically, you want to listen to music on your new iPhone 7? Better buy some first gen wireless headphones that are undoubtedly overpriced - just like Apples wired headphones!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,248 posts | 2848 
      Reply #687: Sep 08, 2016 12:02:05 pm
      Absolutely. Anyone at all up to date with tech would guess that wired headphones as they exist now will eventually become redundant. The issues arise when a company like Apple force the change by completely removing compatibility with standard tech and making you buy yet another apple peripheral so that you can listen to some music.

Basically, you want to listen to music on your new iPhone 7? Better buy some first gen wireless headphones that are undoubtedly overpriced - just like Apples wired headphones!

Nar, they will not. Battery life of 5 hours, seriously, you on a long journey, listening to an audio book, having to stop to recharge. No thanks.

What if you're exercising, what's going to keep them in place, and if one comes out.... mono sound, cause that baby could be smashed or lost.

I can still listen to music on my iPhone 3GS, same quality down to my multi-product enabling 3.5mm jack headphones.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #688: Sep 08, 2016 12:10:05 pm
      Until Apple address there terrible battery life issues then they will continue to lose out to Samsung, Sony etc. Android is not perfect by any means but it is currently far better than Apple in my opinion.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #689: Sep 08, 2016 12:11:00 pm
      Nar, they will not. Battery life of 5 hours, seriously, you on a long journey, listening to an audio book, having to stop to recharge. No thanks.

What if you're exercising, what's going to keep them in place, and if one comes out.... mono sound, cause that baby could be smashed or lost.

I can still listen to music on my iPhone 3GS, same quality down to my multi-product enabling 3.5mm jack headphones.

That's my issue, I go on bike rides that last longer than 5 hours. Sometimes I'll be out, not near a plug socket for 10-12 hours.

Quick Reply