Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

iPhone - Are you getting one?

Read 129357 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Re: iPhone - Are you getting one?
      Reply #690: Sep 08, 2016 01:21:19 pm
      Absolutely. Anyone at all up to date with tech would guess that wired headphones as they exist now will eventually become redundant. The issues arise when a company like Apple force the change by completely removing compatibility with standard tech and making you buy yet another apple peripheral so that you can listen to some music.

Basically, you want to listen to music on your new iPhone 7? Better buy some first gen wireless headphones that are undoubtedly overpriced - just like Apples wired headphones!

Not really though, as the phone comes with the  analog to lightning adapter. If you have multiple pairs then yes, you'd have to buy multiple adapters, but I'd guess that within a month or so, you'll be able to pick up those adapters cheap and just leave them on any set of headphones you use. My biggest beef is that you can't charge and listen to headphones at the same time. To me that  was the part that is going to be frustrating because as a frequent traveler, I do that a lot.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #691: Sep 08, 2016 01:23:10 pm
      That's my issue, I go on bike rides that last longer than 5 hours. Sometimes I'll be out, not near a plug socket for 10-12 hours.

I don't like the design of the earbuds to begin with. I always end up with an aftermarket pair. What I would like  to see are more options for in ear, bluetooth enabled "earbud" type options from third  parties. Everything is going wireless, I just can't believe we don't already have multiple affordable options already. 
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #692: Sep 08, 2016 01:27:30 pm
      Nar, they will not. Battery life of 5 hours, seriously, you on a long journey, listening to an audio book, having to stop to recharge. No thanks.

What if you're exercising, what's going to keep them in place, and if one comes out.... mono sound, cause that baby could be smashed or lost.

I can still listen to music on my iPhone 3GS, same quality down to my multi-product enabling 3.5mm jack headphones.

Very true at this point mate, but eventually there will be long lasting, secure wireless headphones, I don't think there's any doubt about that. Its as obvious an improvement as a mobile cordless phone.

The trouble is when Apple force you to buy a shitty first gen version of a future product which is just not the standard at the moment. Complete waste of money.

They say it's "courageous", I think it's more crappy business tactics to force Apple users to be even more dependent on Apple products and synchronicity.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #693: Sep 08, 2016 01:34:08 pm
      Very true at this point mate, but eventually there will be long lasting, secure wireless headphones, I don't think there's any doubt about that. Its as obvious an improvement as a mobile cordless phone.

The trouble is when Apple force you to buy a shitty first gen version of a future product which is just not the standard at the moment. Complete waste of money.

They say it's "courageous", I think it's more crappy business tactics to force Apple users to be even more dependent on Apple products and synchronicity.

Didn't the Moto Z already do away with the headphone jack on their  phone? So really, they were more courageous than Apple ;D
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,248 posts | 2848 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #694: Sep 08, 2016 02:12:03 pm
      Not really though, as the phone comes with the  analog to lightning adapter. If you have multiple pairs then yes, you'd have to buy multiple adapters, but I'd guess that within a month or so, you'll be able to pick up those adapters cheap and just leave them on any set of headphones you use. My biggest beef is that you can't charge and listen to headphones at the same time. To me that  was the part that is going to be frustrating because as a frequent traveler, I do that a lot.

This is Apple's problem, they are very good at making solutions to problems that don't exist. The apple watch, so you don't have to take your phone out of your pocket to see who's calling/messaging. Seriously, that was a selling point.

Lightening adapter, I guess they got rid of the 3.5mm jack to make a bigger battery, not making the battery last longer.

As for 3rd party adapter, I have many 3rd party wires for charging and it is not uncommon to get a message telling me that this accessory is not compatible with my phone, I am sure apple place codes in their official products to allow them to work properly, thus keeping a semi-closed shop on compatibility.

As for stereo sound, firstly, why? you have earphones, or what ever they are called, and if you don't use them, the screen will only be 12" away from your eyes, further if your old! why do you need stereo?

Water proof! don't get it wet! simple as, take care of the phone, it's cost £/$600 FFS.

Pressure sensitive home button, can see this not working after a few months.

Reminds me of the car Homer built.

If Apple aren't careful, they may be killing the goose.

Can't understand why you can't turn the home screen on its side like you can with the iPad, wireless charging even, or heavens forbid expandable memory.

More than happy to stay with the 5s.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,248 posts | 2848 
      Reply #695: Sep 08, 2016 02:15:01 pm

Exactly, trouble is, there are a lot of lemmings who will follow, LEMMINGS, now there is a game.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #696: Sep 08, 2016 05:27:03 pm
      This lack of a headphone jack is straight bullshit. I'm pretty happy with Android so I wasn't going to switch over anyway, but that's just a bit stupid.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,248 posts | 2848 
      Reply #697: Sep 14, 2016 06:30:56 pm
      iOS10, not so good reviews on Twitter, anyone upgraded yet?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #698: Sep 14, 2016 07:33:52 pm
      iOS10, not so good reviews on Twitter, anyone upgraded yet?

Got it last night. No problems for me. Not a whole lot different so far, no more slide to unlock, some changes to messages and notifications but otherwise I've not really noticed any difference. My battery usage  seems to be down a bit, so  maybe more efficient.
      DirtyRed
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts |
      Reply #699: Aug 09, 2017 10:11:50 pm
      No, but I borrowed one to film the Pixies at a festival. Installed tinder for a bit but I didn't get laid. It was more like a tablet than a phone.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,117 posts | 1183 
      Reply #700: Aug 09, 2017 10:28:00 pm
      This is Apple's problem, they are very good at making solutions to problems that don't exist. The apple watch, so you don't have to take your phone out of your pocket to see who's calling/messaging. Seriously, that was a selling point.

Lightening adapter, I guess they got rid of the 3.5mm jack to make a bigger battery, not making the battery last longer.

As for 3rd party adapter, I have many 3rd party wires for charging and it is not uncommon to get a message telling me that this accessory is not compatible with my phone, I am sure apple place codes in their official products to allow them to work properly, thus keeping a semi-closed shop on compatibility.

As for stereo sound, firstly, why? you have earphones, or what ever they are called, and if you don't use them, the screen will only be 12" away from your eyes, further if your old! why do you need stereo?

Water proof! don't get it wet! simple as, take care of the phone, it's cost £/$600 FFS.

Pressure sensitive home button, can see this not working after a few months.

Reminds me of the car Homer built.

If Apple aren't careful, they may be killing the goose.

Can't understand why you can't turn the home screen on its side like you can with the iPad, wireless charging even, or heavens forbid expandable memory.

More than happy to stay with the 5s.

Do you still have the 5s?

Have thought about upgrading but can't quite bring myself to spend £500+ on a new phone. Plus the new ones are that much bigger.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,248 posts | 2848 
      Reply #701: Aug 11, 2017 07:56:50 pm
      Do you still have the 5s?

Have thought about upgrading but can't quite bring myself to spend £500+ on a new phone. Plus the new ones are that much bigger.

Yep, it's fine, still getting the iOS updates.

Only down side is getting covers.

Does crash some times, so you have to reboot it.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,248 posts | 2848 
      Reply #702: Jul 22, 2018 04:09:25 pm
      Well, binned Apple, gone to the Galaxy S9.

Seamless move, I can see Apple failing, this new phone does so much more.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #703: Jul 22, 2018 04:39:51 pm
      Well, binned Apple, gone to the Galaxy S9.

Seamless move, I can see Apple failing, this new phone does so much more.

Apple isn’t going to fail. Really not even worth debating it to be honest.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #704: Jul 22, 2018 04:42:46 pm

I agree they won't fail at the moment, they havefar to many loyal customers right now, but no company is invincible and Apple have lost their mojo and wow factor lately.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,248 posts | 2848 
      Reply #705: Jul 22, 2018 04:45:44 pm

I know it won't fail per say, but I asked a 'genius' at my local Apple store, and asked what was the real difference between my 5s and the X, and they said it was quicker... that was it.

I just can't see how they can improve, as they are so restrictive, and expensive.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #706: Jul 22, 2018 05:28:46 pm
      I know it won't fail per say, but I asked a 'genius' at my local Apple store, and asked what was the real difference between my 5s and the X, and they said it was quicker... that was it.

I just can't see how they can improve, as they are so restrictive, and expensive.

They are expensive but their residual value is higher after a couple of years. It evens out and for me the IOS ecosystem just works better. I’ve had both. Wouldn’t consider android ever again.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,248 posts | 2848 
      Reply #707: Jul 22, 2018 05:53:57 pm
      They are expensive but their residual value is higher after a couple of years. It evens out and for me the IOS ecosystem just works better. I’ve had both. Wouldn’t consider android ever again.

Not in my experience.

5s, less than 2 yrs old.
      Latest iOS nearly killed it, so slow, camera took ages to activate, finger print recognition hardly worked to unlock, but was fine for in apps.
      Battery was useless, would crash between 22-32% when using camera/Snapchat, despite discharging it fully once per month as advised.

Phone itself was in 100% condition as passed all tests for part exchange in the Samsung shop.

I feel that Apple are made to fail after 18-24 months to get you to upgrade.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #708: Jul 22, 2018 06:18:04 pm
      Not in my experience.

5s, less than 2 yrs old.
      Latest iOS nearly killed it, so slow, camera took ages to activate, finger print recognition hardly worked to unlock, but was fine for in apps.
      Battery was useless, would crash between 22-32% when using camera/Snapchat, despite discharging it fully once per month as advised.

Phone itself was in 100% condition as passed all tests for part exchange in the Samsung shop.

I feel that Apple are made to fail after 18-24 months to get you to upgrade.

A 5s? That’s basically a four year old generation. Of course it’s not going to run the the latest software well. My son has a 6S, it runs like a champ, battery is at 85% capacity still and the phone is over 3.5 years old.

My androids would get about 18 months before the OS would start to consume itself and make the phone unstable. You can have your Android OS, have fun with hackers too....much more susceptible to exploit.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,248 posts | 2848 
      Reply #709: Jul 22, 2018 06:20:45 pm
      A 5s? That’s basically a four year old generation. Of course it’s not going to run the the latest software well. My son has a 6S, it runs like a champ, battery is at 85% capacity still and the phone is over 3.5 years old.

My androids would get about 18 months before the OS would start to consume itself and make the phone unstable. You can have your Android OS, have fun with hackers too....much more susceptible to exploit.

But that's the issue, I know the 5s is old, but why the hell do apple say their latest iOS will work on it, when they know the phone will struggle?
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,628 posts | 1551 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #710: Nov 06, 2022 09:52:58 pm
      HELP

I have an I-phone which seems to be stuck  :(

I wanted to switch it off so pressed on the buttons on the left and right at the same time as I usually do and now the screen is stuck and says

Slide to power off

Emergency SOS

X

I've tried everything and it wont shift, it's just stuck.

Anyone have any suggestions? It's never done this before.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,577 posts | 6635 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #711: Nov 07, 2022 02:45:46 am
      slide, power it off

once that's done, press the same two buttons at same time like u did before and it should restart xxx
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #712: Nov 07, 2022 11:09:15 am
      HELP

I have an I-phone which seems to be stuck  :(

I wanted to switch it off so pressed on the buttons on the left and right at the same time as I usually do and now the screen is stuck and says

Slide to power off

Emergency SOS

X

I've tried everything and it wont shift, it's just stuck.

Anyone have any suggestions? It's never done this before.

Hold those two buttons in for like 12 seconds or so and it should reset completely.

Quick Reply