Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

iPhone - Are you getting one?

Read 129603 times
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Re: iPhone - Are you getting one?
      Reply #621: Sep 12, 2014 01:45:59 pm
      At the start of this thread years back I said I wouldn't ever own one.

I've since had every model, and just coughed up £540 for the 6.

Properly in Apples pocket
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 760 posts | 38 
      Reply #622: Sep 12, 2014 01:56:31 pm
      Just ordered the 4.7"64G version. A good layout at first but got a decent monthly payment. With a massive amount of data. Was just going to get a 5s at one point but my mate who is a bit of a techy said I should definitely wait for the 6. Hope he is right. The guy on the phone said it could be up to four weeks till delivery. Hope it's quicker than that!!.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #623: Sep 12, 2014 08:08:32 pm
      Is there any reason that people on this thread aren't buying the HTC One M8, Galaxy S5, LG G3 or the Xperia Z3?

Is it iOS that you're used to? If so, Android is far more customisable and user friendly, in addition to being completely unlocked.

Screen? Well, Apple isn't even hitting the 1080p benchmark yet with their iPhone 6 screen, which means the screen itself will be of a noticeably lower quality than your standard Android or Windows 1080p screen. Pictures and videos won't be near the quality you'd expect from a smartphone in 2014. Most phones next year will be QuadHD (1440x2560). The LG G3 already is.

Processor and speed? For 3 years Apple have stuck with dual core processors, whilst HTC, Samsung and the Android market have been dishing out quad cores for at least two years now. This means multitasking is easier, faster and smoother. And let's face it, we ALL do more than one thing at a time on our phones now. Not to mention, Apple have stuck with 1gb RAM - I don't know why they'd do this, as this is going to severely limit the amount of apps you can open at once. Most phones are gearing towards the 3/4gb benchmark now. My 18 month old HTC has 2gb.

Camera? It's still got nothing on the Android market. 12mp compared to Sony's 20mp. 1080p recording compared to the S5's 4k recording. Low light pictures not even comparable to the M8's.

Aesthetics? It's tried to be a glorified M8 but has had delusions of grandeur along the way and failed terribly. It has effectively copied HTCs metal unibody method. Keep in mind if HTC had done this to Apple, they'd have a massive lawsuit on their hands.

I think the iPhone 6 PLUS might be a step in the right direction with their higher screen resolution, but even that was a long time coming. Like I said, phones are fast moving to QuadHD and Apple ARE being left behind.

I'm saying all of this simply because I don't want people getting ripped off. There are far better phones out there on the market, for a much lower price (£800, who are they kidding?!) that have many more features, are faster, bigger and generally better. Don't fall into the Apple "innovation" bullshit. They're not so much innovating anymore as imitating.

StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #624: Sep 12, 2014 09:25:10 pm
      Is there any reason that people on this thread aren't buying the HTC One M8, Galaxy S5, LG G3 or the Xperia Z3?

Is it iOS that you're used to? If so, Android is far more customisable and user friendly, in addition to being completely unlocked.

Screen? Well, Apple isn't even hitting the 1080p benchmark yet with their iPhone 6 screen, which means the screen itself will be of a noticeably lower quality than your standard Android or Windows 1080p screen. Pictures and videos won't be near the quality you'd expect from a smartphone in 2014. Most phones next year will be QuadHD (1440x2560). The LG G3 already is.

Processor and speed? For 3 years Apple have stuck with dual core processors, whilst HTC, Samsung and the Android market have been dishing out quad cores for at least two years now. This means multitasking is easier, faster and smoother. And let's face it, we ALL do more than one thing at a time on our phones now. Not to mention, Apple have stuck with 1gb RAM - I don't know why they'd do this, as this is going to severely limit the amount of apps you can open at once. Most phones are gearing towards the 3/4gb benchmark now. My 18 month old HTC has 2gb.

Camera? It's still got nothing on the Android market. 12mp compared to Sony's 20mp. 1080p recording compared to the S5's 4k recording. Low light pictures not even comparable to the M8's.

Aesthetics? It's tried to be a glorified M8 but has had delusions of grandeur along the way and failed terribly. It has effectively copied HTCs metal unibody method. Keep in mind if HTC had done this to Apple, they'd have a massive lawsuit on their hands.

I think the iPhone 6 PLUS might be a step in the right direction with their higher screen resolution, but even that was a long time coming. Like I said, phones are fast moving to QuadHD and Apple ARE being left behind.

I'm saying all of this simply because I don't want people getting ripped off. There are far better phones out there on the market, for a much lower price (£800, who are they kidding?!) that have many more features, are faster, bigger and generally better. Don't fall into the Apple "innovation" bullshit. They're not so much innovating anymore as imitating.

Pretty much my thinking, screen on my xperia z cracked so went with the s5, got a great deal and wouldn't even consider an iPhone tbh
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #625: Sep 12, 2014 09:56:50 pm
      Pretty much my thinking, screen on my xperia z cracked so went with the s5, got a great deal and wouldn't even consider an iPhone tbh

There is simply no reason to. I cannot think of a single advantage the iPhone 6 has over any recent android devices. Not one. And I'm trying to be as impartial as possible here.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #626: Sep 12, 2014 10:16:20 pm
      There is simply no reason to. I cannot think of a single advantage the iPhone 6 has over any recent android devices. Not one. And I'm trying to be as impartial as possible here.

Unless everything else is iOS like your iMac, iPad to running XBMC over Airplay etc.

lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #627: Sep 12, 2014 10:18:27 pm
      I know the specs are better on the Android but most people I know think that the IPhone software and is more user-friendly when compared to Android.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #628: Sep 12, 2014 10:20:31 pm

Find myself nodding along in agreement whilst reading this Res.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #629: Sep 12, 2014 10:25:04 pm
      Do I really need one? 

??? ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #630: Sep 12, 2014 10:36:53 pm
      Used to be an iPhone fanboy myself.  As someone who uses a couple of Macs for work - integration was a positive feature although it has been obliterated in recent years.

I always used to get the biggest memory I could - although I'm very surprised people are still shelling out for 64Gb versions.  With the huge increases in home broadband speeds, network speeds, cloud storage I'm struggling to see why 'most' people would need anything bigger than the 16Gb.  But it's your money - spend as you will. 

People do realise that 24 month contracts are finance to buy the phone right?  I've got an unlimited data plan on my mobile for £12 a month so if I was getting the phone I'd buy it outright and throw that sim in.

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #631: Sep 18, 2014 11:08:41 am
      I have a 16Gb iPhone5.

If I want to install the new iOS8, I have to delete over 25% of my content.

This makes no sense at all.

Plus there are some privacy issues highlighted here.

http://www.zdnet.com/seven-privacy-settings-you-should-change-immediately-in-ios-8-7000033598/

I have not read it all, but these firms need to know we need privacy, and they need to stop stealing our data.

I'm not rushing to update.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #632: Sep 18, 2014 11:38:03 am
      I have a 16Gb iPhone5.

If I want to install the new iOS8, I have to delete over 25% of my content.

This makes no sense at all.

Plus there are some privacy issues highlighted here.

http://www.zdnet.com/seven-privacy-settings-you-should-change-immediately-in-ios-8-7000033598/

I have not read it all, but these firms need to know we need privacy, and they need to stop stealing our data.

I'm not rushing to update.

Download it on your computer mate, then you don't have to delete any storage
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #633: Sep 18, 2014 12:00:52 pm
      Download it on your computer mate, then you don't have to delete any storage

Cheers, may try that when iOS8.1 comes out, won't be long I'm sure.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #634: Sep 18, 2014 04:56:40 pm
      Must admit, I was planning on getting the 6+. Have a Blackberry at the moment (huge mistake and never again!!).
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #635: Sep 19, 2014 10:29:50 am
      Must admit, I was planning on getting the 6+. Have a Blackberry at the moment (huge mistake and never again!!).

No, wait for the Note 4 (or even the Note Edge!). Far superior in every way, screen size, resolution, specs and even build quality now. Samsung have revamped their devices starting with the Galaxy Alpha and the quality has moved on to their flagship phones. It looks amazing, and is out in early October.

Note 4:

Note Edge:

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #636: Sep 19, 2014 12:37:17 pm
      No, wait for the Note 4 (or even the Note Edge!). Far superior in every way, screen size, resolution, specs and even build quality now. Samsung have revamped their devices starting with the Galaxy Alpha and the quality has moved on to their flagship phones. It looks amazing, and is out in early October.

Note 4:

Note Edge:

VERY nice.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #637: Sep 19, 2014 05:24:41 pm
      That Note Edge looks awesome Res.

When's it due out?
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #638: Sep 19, 2014 05:33:22 pm
      That Note Edge looks awesome Res.

When's it due out?

Early October. I think it's the 18th in the US and 11th here.

But yeah it does look awesome. Thinking about getting one myself on a separate contract.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #639: Sep 19, 2014 05:54:06 pm
      Early October. I think it's the 18th in the US and 11th here.

But yeah it does look awesome. Thinking about getting one myself on a separate contract.

Glad now I didn't take an early upgrade.

But still pleased with my Moto G so not sure if I'll go for a new phone or stay contract free for a while.
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #640: Sep 19, 2014 07:08:49 pm
      Anyone have any experience with Sony Experia z2?

I've had mine a week now and it literally pisses on the Iphone.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #641: Sep 19, 2014 07:23:44 pm
      Anyone have any experience with Sony Experia z2?

I've had mine a week now and it literally pisses on the Iphone.

What a weird app!

IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #642: Sep 20, 2014 01:50:26 am
      Still using the Note 3 and love it.

If I was to have my pick of the phones at the moment I'd be taking out a HTC M8. Best of the bunch in my opinion.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #643: Sep 20, 2014 01:25:36 pm
      Well, you were told your iPhones/pads were coming this morning, stop phoning me and saying can the driver come back because you decided popping out for 15 minutes was a bright idea. See you Monday.....maybe.

Quick Reply