Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Hooliganism at Euro 2016

Read 38296 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Hooliganism at Euro 2016
      Reply #23: Jun 12, 2016 12:24:52 am
      Can someone who has actually been to Marseille please explain why the city itself is seemingly adding to violence.

Keep seeing people saying 'Russia vs Germany in Marseille, bound to happen' and the like.

I know Naples is meant to be a bit rough? Is it just a rough place or something else?

Marseille old port town well known as a tough place, notorious for gangsters and drugs.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #24: Jun 12, 2016 12:26:20 am
      Marseille old port town well known as a tough place, notorious for gangsters and drugs.

Ah okay, figured as much.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #25: Jun 12, 2016 12:34:37 am
      https://www.periscope.tv/w/1RDGlOAvlDdKL

Collymore recording in the town centre. Said loads of locals all got grouped together, a few whistled and then legged it up a street. There's a reporter who said loads of Russian hooligans flew to Switzerland and hired cars to France so they weren't detected by security officials.

Police were about 400 yards away and launched gas canisters into random places and did F**k all else.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #26: Jun 12, 2016 12:46:40 am
      Marseille Violence: City 'Like A Battlefield'

Witnesses describe gangs looking for English fans to attack, with tear gas fired and bottles thrown as violence flares once more.

The scene in the French city of Marseille has been described as being "like a battlefield", after England fans clashed with Russian supporters on the streets.

French police fired tear gas and used water cannon on fans on a third day of unrest in the lead up to the Three Lions' first game of Euro 2016.

The match ended with a 1-1 draw at Marseille's Stade Veledrome.

Sky's Sports Correspondent Paul Kelso said a gang of what appeared to be Russian supporters stormed into the old port area of the city, looking for English fans to attack in the hours before kick-off.

He said: "A gang of what appears to be Russian supporters, hooligans, very well organised, stormed into the old port area and looked for English fans to attack.

"Bottles being hurled at England fans and what appears to be a lack of containment. Lots of injuries. Head injuries. Some nasty cuts and the police, whatever tactics they tried to employ, clearly hasn't worked.

"For the second time in more than 18 years, Marseille looks more like a battlefield."

At least five people have been wounded in the violence, with six people arrested.

TV footage showed fans throwing chairs taken from restaurant terraces and fighting on a stairway, where one man was seen kicking another down the stairs.

Sky's Siobhan Robbins said she saw 300 youths storm down a street in the same part of the city.

Robbins said she had been told they were local French youths.

She said: "We saw chairs being thrown, we saw bottles being thrown, tables being thrown.

http://news.sky.com/story/1710510/marseille-violence-city-like-a-battlefield

The police are pathetic, they're only arsed when it concerns the English.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #27: Jun 12, 2016 02:07:00 am
      Went to Marseille in the 80's, the place was a hovel back then, drugs, prostitution and the gateway to North Africa with it's large ethnic minority to boot.

It's the armpit of Europe.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #28: Jun 12, 2016 02:16:53 am
      Big believer that you attract problems
      A minority of English followers are hell bent on violence or put themselves in a situation where they will be part of it.
      Embarrassing behavior once again.
      Don't care if you are 'goaded' by Russian or local French gangs.
      The issue is that you put yourselves in that situation
      Once more I am ashamed of my country
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #29: Jun 12, 2016 02:25:49 am
      The ever reputable Barney Ronay from The Guardian tweeting that hundreds and hundreds of fans m have been left to make their own way back to the hotel and accommodation and are wandering aimlessly around Marseille. Little kids in replica shirts in tears in the middle of the night.

The lack of protection and security for these supporters seems to be appalling. Miserable failure by UEFA and the French authorities who you'd expect better of considering the terrorist attacks that have blighted that nation.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #30: Jun 12, 2016 02:40:13 am
      I saw footage on the BBC news about what had happened regarding the violence, and from what I saw our English folks were doing nothing but enjoying themself, having a drink, then got attacked by the russians and the french. Yeah sure, we shouldnt have reacted, but what would you do? you have paid a small fortune to get abroad, enjoy another country, enjoy the football, all you want to do is sit and relax, then some tw*t comes along and lobs a bottle or chair at you, if that was me, I would react like many have, I would grab that bottle or chair, then grab the one who threw it, then shove it up their ass!

We dont have a great reputation, this is true. Look at what the chelsea fans did to that french lad who wanted to get on the train that time, but from what ive seen so far, a majority of our fans have done nothing wrong.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #31: Jun 12, 2016 04:21:15 am
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/violence-nice-northern-ireland-poland-8171259#rlabs=1%20rt$category%20p$2

Witnesses said local hooligans from the ā€œNice Ultrasā€ started brawls with travelling fans ahead Ireland and Polandā€™s match today.

Northern Irishman Alex Sloan witnessed the ā€œterrible scenesā€ and criticised French police for allegedly allowing the hooligans to spark the riot.

It seems the French and their authorities have a lot to answer for.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #32: Jun 12, 2016 06:07:53 am
      Huge believer in that your attract trouble.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #33: Jun 12, 2016 07:23:11 am
      You'd have to imagine there would be some sort of ban for a club teams fans rushing the opposition supporters like he Russian fans did.
      How can Russia safely host a world cup with thugs like these waiting to attack the visitors?
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #34: Jun 12, 2016 08:27:58 am

Another thing is the Russian idiot who let off a firework that sounded like a bomb had gone off, in a country recovering from appalling terrorism, is worthy of a hefty prison sentence. You could feel the sudden hush of what the crowd were thinking and I was unsure if something had happened!What is just as concerning is If that particular Pratt was  able to get fireworks and flares past security, what else could someone get past? Massive failure by French security there.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #35: Jun 12, 2016 08:58:59 am
      Quote from lester76
      Big believer that you attract problems
      A minority of English followers are hell bent on violence or put themselves in a situation where they will be part of it.
      Embarrassing behavior once again.
      Don't care if you are 'goaded' by Russian or local French gangs.
      The issue is that you put yourselves in that situation
      Once more I am ashamed of my country

Our fans went to Marseille twice in recent years for European Cup games. I don't recall any major aggro. Having been there in a personal capacity, I do see similiarities with Liverpool, a tough, working class city with a nice port. Obviously it's much warmer in Marseille, while Liverpool is more cosmopolitan than the North African dominated immigration in Marseille, but that apart, there are more similarities than differences.

The disorder is more to do with culture tbh. The majority of fans that travel to England away games are from lower league clubs that never play in Europe. But most nations fans can be trusted to go away, respect the city, have a drink, go to the game, then go home as they should. However England fans can't, and when they go away, they often leave their mark. Usually most locals don't respond, but in Marseille they do, and when you throw in the Russians too, there is a potential storm brewing and it doesn't take much for it to turn ugly.

Things would help however if UEFA regionalised the group stages with 2 stadiums relatively near each other for each group, with one venue for the seeds and the other venue for everyone else, rather than having teams play all over the place. The next Euros will be much worse from that perspective. But UEFA are not all that bothered with the logistics of it, they just arrange the games and leave the local security services to deal with any issues that arise.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #36: Jun 12, 2016 09:06:41 am

I'm not and what you're saying hardly makes sense, it's a throwaway comment with little actual foundation. I've seen people attacked for nothing as I've been attacked too so nope!

They should shut down the Euros, they're ill prepared or should I say don't give a crap, I've never seen kick offs like this at what should be a well policed major event.
      Redangel

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #37: Jun 12, 2016 09:32:50 am
      As I understand it, the authorities have known for months that groups of Russian thugs were planning attacks, especially on the British. It does seem that policing this tournament was too much for the French, with the ever present threat of a terrorist attack, the Country under a state of emergency and groups of thugs hell bent on causing mayhem!
      As for UEFA, as ever they never learn, segregation was minimal, it's crazy.
      How can Russia host any tournament after this, especially a World Cup!
      I pray no one gets killed, but looking at those videos it seems only a matter of time, if the police and UEFA don't get their act together.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #38: Jun 12, 2016 09:37:26 am
      Disgraceful. How are the authorities getting away with this?

And the cu*ts in Russia are hosting the World Cup. And Qatar. Redo the process and award them to other countries. Until that happens, the stench of FIFA and Blatter remains.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #39: Jun 12, 2016 10:03:52 am
      How can Russia host any tournament after this, especially a World Cup!

Only thing I will say is that Euro 96, held in England, passed off relatively peacefully.  Maybe.. just maybe.. with it being hosted inside Russia - their own police etc may have a better idea of controlling their own hooligan element.

Very much doubt England fans, if we get to the WC 2018, would travel in anything like the numbers they are to France too.

Just a thought.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #40: Jun 12, 2016 10:04:41 am
      Disgraceful. How are the authorities getting away with this?

And the cu*ts in Russia are hosting the World Cup. And Qatar. Redo the process and award them to other countries. Until that happens, the stench of FIFA and Blatter remains.

I totally agree with you John but with the problems in the world today it is difficult to stop thugs masquerading as football supporters.We only have to look down the East Lancs Road to see the problems those arse holes cause.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #41: Jun 12, 2016 10:14:25 am

That only applies to the minority.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #42: Jun 12, 2016 10:34:10 am
      The thing to understand about french police is :
       - it is state of urgency here since last november due to terrorists attacks, with policemen rest hours cut in two, and massive police forces were required to protect COP21 this winter in the middle of that
       - in last 3 months we have had massive strikes and protests about a labor rights law, with daily riots involving black blocks or suburban gangs in most big cities, and even more police being required
       - ... and the worse floodings since 30 years, requiring police to do rescue jobs alongside firemen in addition to all that

Our policemen are on their knees, actually it should be seen as a good surprise they haven't killed any excited supporter yet, considering most are close to nervous breakdown after barely having a rest in 8 months. It was really the worse time for them to have a Euro bringing armies of hooligans to take care. IMO the state of our security forces would have justified to just cancel it.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #43: Jun 12, 2016 10:39:49 am
      I totally agree with you John but with the problems in the world today it is difficult to stop thugs masquerading as football supporters.We only have to look down the East Lancs Road to see the problems those arse holes cause.

Very true, Billy. Hard to pick a thug from a supporter.

Which begs the question - why aren't there police in the stadiums with the stewards? Paris has troops walking streets in full army gear and loaded up with guns and that's on a normal Wednesday afternoon. Surely they should have the same at such an event? Even if they have to outsource and bring help in from overseas. Surely safety is priority and no shortcuts should be taken?

Madness.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #44: Jun 12, 2016 10:43:59 am
      considering the terrorist attacks that have blighted that nation.

That's the rub here, it appears the police etc have spent more time preventing/preparing for terrorism than they have large groups of pissed up football fans.

France has been Anarchy for weeks/months preceding the Euro's with strikes, fighting and floods.

I've got a horrible feeling something really big is going to happen as the distractions for the French authorities is providing the perfect opportunity, hope im wrong.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #45: Jun 12, 2016 10:53:31 am
      The thing to understand about french police is :
       - it is state of urgency here since last november due to terrorists attacks, with policemen rest hours cut in two, and massive police forces were required to protect COP21 this winter in the middle of that
       - in last 3 months we have had massive strikes and protests about a labor rights law, with daily riots involving black blocks or suburban gangs in most big cities, and even more police being required
       - ... and the worse floodings since 30 years, requiring police to do rescue jobs alongside firemen in addition to all that

Our policemen are on their knees, actually it should be seen as a good surprise they haven't killed any excited supporter yet, considering most are close to nervous breakdown after barely having a rest in 8 months. It was really the worse time for them to have a Euro bringing armies of hooligans to take care. IMO the state of our security forces would have justified to just cancel it.

"good surprise they haven't killed any excited supporter" - you F***ing kidding me? If the police can't protect people then they shouldn't be hosting the tournament.

Quick Reply