Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Martin Skrtel (Fenerbahce)

Read 7938 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Martin Skrtel (Fenerbahce)
      Jun 15, 2016 10:40:05 pm
      « Last Edit: Jun 16, 2016 05:54:39 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Re: Martin Skrtel - Fenerbahce
      Reply #1: Jun 15, 2016 10:42:55 pm
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2: Jun 15, 2016 10:45:57 pm
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #3: Jun 15, 2016 10:52:33 pm
      Great servant to the club but it is time to move on.

Good move for him.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #4: Jun 16, 2016 01:55:40 am
      i love skrtel and it's the perfect time to go. i hope he kills it there for years to come and we, skrtel and fener are all better after this transfer. i wont forget the goals he scored for us in a hurry - he might have the record for 4 own goals a few seasons back but he scored 8 too which is fantastic. some sweet goals against city, 2 against arsenal in the opening 10 minutes, one in a cup final, he wasn't bad. he's fought for our club gallantly the past couple years when we didn't have many fighters (except suarez). he wasn't the best defender but his will and what he had got him playing a high standard in the toughest league with some fantastic players around him.

harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #5: Jun 16, 2016 02:00:35 am
      Good move for all parties.  Martin doesn't suit Jürgen's front foot, high pressing defensive style.  However, in a team that likes to defend deep he is a great asset.  From what I've seen, Fener like to keep men behind the ball and defend the 18 yard box in a low block scheme.  Martin should do quite well in this setup. 

Good luck Marty and thanks for your service!!  YNWA
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #6: Jun 16, 2016 02:52:22 am
      I think people are too quick to dismiss Skrtel's contributions to LFC these days, but I agree it's an interesting move for all parties. I'm afraid he's past his best and playing in a team that doesn't suit him too well. That said, I have a lot of time for Martin - the effort was always there, could be a real beast on his day and when playing in a particular type of setup, he was among our very best. Criticize him as a player all you want, but to me he's a true red who has given his all.

Fenerbahçe are a decent team to play for at this stage of his career and if this does happen, I'll wish him all the best.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Martin Skrtel (Fenerbahce)
      Reply #7: Jun 16, 2016 05:58:41 am
      Wish him all the best but in truth he had to go and he sealed his fate in the defeat to Saints IMO. He's had a mixed career with us, at times he has been rock solid and other times he has been a complete mare.

But like I said, best of luck to him and hope he regains that confidence he lost a while ago. One thing about Skrtel though, you can't question his loyalty to the club over the last 8 years, that's a long time for a player to stay at a club.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #8: Jun 16, 2016 07:18:43 am
      Good luck to him but easily forgotton for me , simply not good enough had wsy too many poor games , scored some nice goals but all too often didnt do the job he was supposed to do . Good luck all the same .
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #9: Jun 16, 2016 11:23:31 am
      Sky HP Sauces have jumped on board this one now.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #10: Jun 16, 2016 11:30:12 am
      I was made up to hear the news he's going, that's the truth, but I have ran the gambit of emotions through the years with him playing for us and he still confuses me. I do like the guy even with his many faults on the pitch. BUT I can't trust him and cringe when I see he's playing.

We need to sort our defence and goalkeeping out, it's been ridiculous for so long and that's the main reason we fail to achieve anything for years on end.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4973 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #11: Jun 16, 2016 02:38:50 pm
      I don't slate player's who give their all when they have played for our club, Skrtel has been a good servant and although he's not exactly lit the EPL up recently he has contributed very well, it is best for all concerned to part company, so I thank him.for his services and wish him all the best with his new club.

All the best Martin

YNWA
      MsGerrard
      Reply #12: Jun 16, 2016 04:46:46 pm
      Gave his all over the years he's been at LFC, but like many others I think it's time to move on, I'd like to thank Martin for his service and wish him all the very best for the future.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #13: Jun 16, 2016 04:49:40 pm
      I think I must be one of very few players to have had his name on the back of a shirt :D. Will never forget the amazing season he had when he was our player of the season by a long way.

Thanks for your service, Martin, good luck in Turkey!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #14: Jun 16, 2016 05:48:14 pm
      Skrtel at times could be fantastic when at his best and in the right set up. And at other times sketchy and erratic. Always gave his all, never caused any problems, good move for him and us IMO.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #15: Jun 17, 2016 02:05:40 pm
      Probably one of the biggest casualties of Brendan's defensive setup was Martin. Under Kenny and Rafa he was excellent.

Reports from his agent that it's going to be a 3-way go for his signature between Besiktas, Fener and Galatasaray. All decent clubs to be playing at and i wish him all the best. Not many have given the service he has, with the dignity he has.

Good luck skin-head!
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #16: Jun 17, 2016 05:51:10 pm
      £5M for a player we paid what £6M for and who has given us 8 years and 300 odd appearences (some good, some bad and some ugly) I think it's very good business. Shame his peak years were spent in a system which left him exposed but he always gave 100%. Good luck in Istanbul. They love their nutters there hey from Bruno Alves to Martin Fenerbahce must love keeping their supporters on their toes.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #17: Jun 18, 2016 06:07:37 pm
      Just read that he might be off to Roma instead
      Can't find the link.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #18: Jun 18, 2016 06:17:50 pm
      Just read that he might be off to Roma instead
      Can't find the link.

I read that earlier, can't remember the guy's name but I think I'll be able to find the link. Not sure how reliable he is...

https://twitter.com/EmaGiulianelli/status/744159739899060224?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #19: Jun 18, 2016 06:49:04 pm
      I read that earlier, can't remember the guy's name but I think I'll be able to find the link. Not sure how reliable he is...

https://twitter.com/EmaGiulianelli/status/744159739899060224?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I just saw this as well. Crikey I feel like a bit of a fool now wishing him luck at Fenerbahce. I'm going to keep my gob shut now and see what happens. If Skrtel is getting a move to Roma though then his agent deserves a knighthood. There aren't many better clubs for a man of Skrtel's abilities and limitations.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #20: Jun 18, 2016 07:31:26 pm

Any idea how much Roma are paying us?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #21: Jun 18, 2016 07:36:37 pm
      Any idea how much Roma are paying us?

I can only imagine that it at least matches the 5m that we'd be getting from Fenerbahce.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,633 posts | 128 
      Reply #22: Jun 18, 2016 08:50:13 pm
      Wasn't the greatest defender, but always gave all his heart and played with real passion!

Sad to see him leave! With all these spoiled rich kids kicking a ball these days he was a true man and showed some great character! Sure we will miss him as part of the team!

Quick Reply