Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Ben Chilwell (Leicester City)

Read 22623 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Ben Chilwell (Leicester City)
      Jun 21, 2016 10:39:08 pm
      Looks like Jonas Hector was always just a pipe dream!

https://twitter.com/_chrisbascombe/status/745369126646972416
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Ben Chilwell (Leicester City)
      Reply #1: Jun 21, 2016 10:48:10 pm

£25m not enough for Deeney and £7m not enough for a F***ing teenage fullback whose never played a senior game in the top league.

F***ing mental. Leicester are the fuckers ruining football, not City or Chelsea.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2: Jun 21, 2016 10:50:47 pm
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #3: Jun 21, 2016 10:58:16 pm
      £10M for a youngster who has not even played in the PL or £15-20M for a German International.

I really don't understand our club when it comes to transfers!
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #4: Jun 21, 2016 11:08:36 pm
      £10M for a youngster who has not even played in the PL or £15-20M for a German International.

But but but... potential.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Jun 21, 2016 11:10:29 pm
      It seems somebody at the Club has realised we need to get a move on with our targets.  After weeks of basically nothing in the media other than reiterating who our targets are, we've actually put some bids in.

£7m for Chilwell, £30m for Mane and £9.5m for Zielinski.  We'll probably get Zielinski for the fee offered but we'll have to up our bids to get the others or move on to other targets.

Andy Robertson from Hull is being reported as our alternative and is touted at around £15m, or at least that's what the media were reporting back in April when the mancs were interested in him but it seems weird we'd pay more for him when he's not our main target?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #6: Jun 21, 2016 11:14:22 pm
      It seems somebody at the Club has realised we need to get a move on with our targets.  After weeks of basically nothing in the media other than reiterating who our targets are, we've actually put some bids in.

£7m for Chilwell, £30m for Mane and £9.5m for Zielinski.  We'll probably get Zielinski for the fee offered but we'll have to up our bids to get the others or move on to other targets.

Andy Robertson from Hull is being reported as our alternative and is touted at around £15m, or at least that's what the media were reporting back in April when the mancs were interested in him but it seems weird we'd pay more for him when he's not our main target?

Robertson, seriously?! I F***ing hope not.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #7: Jun 21, 2016 11:22:25 pm

Also, the idea that Liverpool are seriously going to walk away from Chilwell over the 3m valuation difference is ridiculous.

You would imagine it's a negotiation tactic to brief they have an alternative.

But the idea the club that paid 35m for Carroll and 32.5m for Benteke won't pay the extra 3m to get it to 10m for Chilwell is laughable.

I don't think our targets are particularly inspiring. But I am repeatedly told - and I'm not convinced at all - that Klopp has total control. So if that is true, he recognised these players as the ideal options and yet no one can seriously be telling me that the extra 3m to get up to 10m for Chilwell is suddenly so beyond the pale it isn't worth paying.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8: Jun 21, 2016 11:28:35 pm
      Robertson, seriously?! I F***ing hope not.

That's what the article said mate.  Never heard of him myself but I rarely watch Championship games or Scotland games so I've no idea.

I'm guessing and would assume that we'll get Chilwell as he seems to be the one Jürgen wants and although the £10m quoted fee seems high for an inexperienced lad, they don't need to sell and they don't want to sell, so they can name whatever price they want. 
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9: Jun 21, 2016 11:31:38 pm
      I'm not convinced at all - that Klopp has total control.

Neither am I mate.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10: Jun 21, 2016 11:32:51 pm
      Also, the idea that Liverpool are seriously going to walk away from Chilwell over the 3m valuation difference is ridiculous.

You would imagine it's a negotiation tactic to brief they have an alternative.

But the idea the club that paid 35m for Carroll and 32.5m for Benteke won't pay the extra 3m to get it to 10m for Chilwell is laughable.

I don't think our targets are particularly inspiring. But I am repeatedly told - and I'm not convinced at all - that Klopp has total control. So if that is true, he recognised these players as the ideal options and yet no one can seriously be telling me that the extra 3m to get up to 10m for Chilwell is suddenly so beyond the pale it isn't worth paying.

I have no problem with the fee mate.  This summer was always going to be a crazy time for values, especially between PL Clubs.  The so called "smaller" clubs no longer need to sell their best players to their rivals, especially young players.  The league is literally swilling with money, from top to bottom.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #11: Jun 21, 2016 11:33:44 pm
      That's what the article said mate.  Never heard of him myself but I rarely watch Championship games or Scotland games so I've no idea.

I'm guessing and would assume that we'll get Chilwell as he seems to be the one Jürgen wants and although the £10m quoted fee seems high for an inexperienced lad, they don't need to sell and they don't want to sell, so they can name whatever price they want. 

To be honest, I'm surprised Robertson isn't in the Premier League already. He is a decent leftback. Well at least he was when he was younger.

I have seen a lot more of him than Chilwell but I'd be surprised if either was really the quality we need. To be fair to be both, they both have more development in them but neither look likely to go on to be world beaters.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #12: Jun 21, 2016 11:37:35 pm

A complete joke, isn't it? You can add R.Rodriguez's 18.5m BO clause to that list too.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #13: Jun 21, 2016 11:39:11 pm

Put it this way;

He doesn't lead negotiations
      He doesn't set budgets
      He doesn't do the paperwork

He identifies players to pursue and passes it on to others.

The problem is he has to work within limitations set by the owners or the club though. Every manager has to, it's common sense unless you manage Real or PSG.

Unless he has absolute carte blanche to sign *any* player he likes at all, in which case can anyone really argue with a straight face he chose Mane, Chilwell and Zielinksi out of all of world football to be our men?

He works within the limits set by others, those limits look to be largely the same as Rodgers.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #14: Jun 21, 2016 11:39:46 pm
      Maybe we have a new computer running Windows 10 ?

Only a Mac would produce that kind of silliness. 
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #15: Jun 21, 2016 11:54:12 pm
      Put it this way;

He doesn't set budgets

The problem is he has to work within limitations set by the owners or the club though. Every manager has to, it's common sense unless you manage Real or PSG.

Unless he has absolute carte blanche to sign *any* player he likes at all, in which case can anyone really argue with a straight face he chose Mane, Chilwell and Zielinksi out of all of world football to be our men?

He works within the limits set by others, those limits look to be largely the same as Rodgers.

I don't think anyone includes the negotiations, paperwork and budgets when they say he has full control of transfers, or at least I don't as no manager does those things, not even the tramp.

What we mean is exactly what he said when he arrived, that he has first say and last say on who comes and who goes, so if he and his team haven't chosen Mane, Chilwell and Zielinski as his main targets then who has and why would they accept them?

We understand he has a budget to work to and you and others may not like his targets or believe they will improve us but he and his team, who have worked successfully together for years doing exactly that, have identified them and want them above all the other players they could have got within that budget.

You and others might not be able to see what qualities they bring but you and others haven't got a successful past record identifying specific qualities in a football player like they have.

Or don't you have faith or belief that he knows what he's doing?
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #16: Jun 21, 2016 11:59:43 pm
      Put it this way;

He doesn't set budgets

I think he has a budget and I think he can spend it any way he wants to; I don't think he has an age restriction and I don't think he has a profile restriction...I am sure that salary does come into it as part of an overall salary budget.

As you said every manager save a few have the same overall restrictions and it's the gaffers job to identify how best to spend his xfer budget and his squad salary budget.

Considering how we are 4th in the PL on net transfer money spent the last 5 years and we are 5th overall in wages (over 40 million more than Spurs); I would not think Jürgen has to necessarily shop at the Tesco.

My opinion anyway.

Jürgen Klopp has final say on all Liverpool transfers, claims chief executive Ian Ayre

Jürgen Klopp does not require the approval of a transfer committee says Liverpool chief executive Ian Ayre.

Liverpool's spending during Brendan Rodgers' tenure as manager has come under criticism with Klopp's predecessor not thought to have the final say on some of the dealings.

Howver, addressing the Web Summit at the RDS in Dublin, Ayre said the process for scouting and signing players has not changed in eight years.

There's only one person that has the final say over what players at Liverpool Football Club and that's Jürgen Klopp right now.

The words 'transfer committee' I think got used once and became this idea that we all sit round a table and have a vote on every player we sign. That couldn't be further from the truth.

The manager will say we are looking for somebody in this position and a bunch of people - a mix of traditional scouts and more recently analytical and digital-based information - bring all of that together as was always the case

Klopp has already taken charge of three Premier League matches, a Europa League fixture, and a League Cup win over Bournemouth since arriving at Anfield on October 8, and Ayre stressed part of his role is to support the manager during busy game periods when he has little time to devote to transfers.

Look at the last three months,' he said. 'We had a game every three days. When is the manager going to fly around the world and watch players? When is the manager going to negotiate with an agent?

That's not the same as making the decision. The point is using smart processes and people, all of whom have all learnt at all manner of different football clubs and have great experience in the game.

They are there to provide the manager with the best tools to make the best decision.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3302716/Jürgen-Klopp-final-say-Liverpool-FC-transfers-claims-chief-executive-Ian-Ayre.html#ixzz4CFzgr3A1
      Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Jürgen Klopp: I have final say over Liverpool transfers

Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp has reiterated his insistence he is in charge of transfers after predecessor Brendan Rodgers claimed players were forced upon him.

Klopp admits there are certain parameters within which he must work but was unequivocal on who has the final word.

“If I say, for example, we take Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who is 35, and we would have to pay £100million then maybe I should ask before I sign him,” he said.

“But it is as it is when I said on the first day I came here; it is like I used to work.

“Sometimes my staff and myself have an idea with a player we know or heard about and we collect some information about this.

“If I don’t want the player to come here he will not come and if the player I want does not fit our budget then he will not come too. That is absolutely normal.”

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/01/Jürgen-klopp-i-have-final-say-over-liverpool-transfers/
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #17: Jun 22, 2016 12:05:13 am
      I don't think anyone includes the negotiations, paperwork and budgets when they say he has full control of transfers, or at least I don't as no manager does those things, not even the tramp.

What we mean is exactly what he said when he arrived, that he has first say and last say on who comes and who goes, so if he and his team haven't chosen Mane, Chilwell and Zielinski as his main targets then who has and why would they accept them?

We understand he has a budget to work to and you and others may not like his targets or believe they will improve us but he and his team, who have worked successfully together for years doing exactly that, have identified them and want them above all the other players they could have got within that budget.

You and others might not be able to see what qualities they bring but you and others haven't got a successful past record identifying specific qualities in a football player like they have.

Or don't you have faith or belief that he knows what he's doing?

It just strikes me as completely ridiculous people can claim he is in total control yet he isn't able to shift the overall strategy.

New television deal, increased stadium capacity and Jürgen Klopp at the helm and he has freely chosen Leicester's second choice leftback, Zielinski and Mane?

It's so ridiculous surely no one believes that.

So of course the budget plays a huge part in the transfer process.

If you worked for any normal company where you are in charge of purchasing then you often don't set the overall budgets or have free choice of suppliers but you have power over the stuff within your remit.

But you wouldn't claim you had total control over purchasing. The criteria within which Klopp is working is not going to change from Rodgers and as a result he has to deal with many of the same issues, compromising on the quality of players bought.

I'm not for one second expecting him to be able to sign anyone, we aren't PSG and frankly I don't want to be.

But I honestly started to believe that FSG would give a man of Klopp's ability the backing the befits his status. But then it's become painfully obvious it will be same old same old.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #18: Jun 22, 2016 12:10:39 am
      New television deal, increased stadium capacity and Jürgen Klopp at the helm and he has freely chosen Leicester's second choice leftback, Zielinski and Mane?

It's so ridiculous surely no one believes that.

People probably thought the same about Kagawa, Hummels, Lewandowski, Gundogan and Piszczek right?

I mean seriously is it so hard to believe?

Those 5 players cost a total of £28 million pounds.

The thing I find incredibly hard to believe that after what 15 years of being a manager and doing things a certain way that he is all of a sudden going to do things totally different?

Don't know how old you are but for most of us when we get a certain age we end up not changing a whole lot regardless of the circumstance.

In the end that might be Jürgen's Achilles heel...only time will tell.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #19: Jun 22, 2016 12:15:35 am
      It just strikes me as completely ridiculous people can claim he is in total control yet he isn't able to shift the overall strategy.

How do you still not understand this "strategy" has been the ethos of Jürgen's work since his time at Mainz?

He works this way. He buys this way. He develops this way. He has always done this but you cannot understand this is how he has always done things and this is what made him what he is today.

This is before FSG. Before a "transfer committee". Before Mike Gordon. Before computer programs.

This strategy is Jürgen's preferred way of working.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #20: Jun 22, 2016 12:15:56 am
      People probably thought the same about Kagawa, Hummels, Lewandowski, Gundogan and Piszczek right?

I mean seriously is it so hard to believe?

Those 5 players cost a total of £28 million pounds.

The thing I find incredibly hard to believe that after what 15 years of being a manager and doing things a certain way that he is all of a sudden to things totally different?

Don't know how old you are but for most of us when we get a certain age we end up not changing a whole lot regardless of the circumstance.

In the end that might be Jürgen's Achilles heel...only time will tell.

Why ask him to turn water into wine when you could just buy him some decent wine in the first place?

Why force him to perform miracles and expect better than average transfer success when you can limit the risks by investing in the best possible players?

We're Liverpool not the Oakland Athletics.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #21: Jun 22, 2016 12:18:00 am
      Why ask him to turn water into wine when you could just buy him some decent wine in the first place?

Why force him to perform miracles and expect better than average transfer success when you can limit the risks by investing in the best possible players?

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #22: Jun 22, 2016 12:18:34 am

Again you miss the point entirely ....really just woosh right over the head.

Quick Reply