Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Ben Chilwell (Leicester City)

Read 22780 times
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Re: Ben Chilwell (Leicester City)
      Reply #46: Jun 22, 2016 09:41:20 am
      £10m is far to much for a teenage defender, I'd rather double the money and go for experience. Leicester should be told to do one!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #47: Jun 22, 2016 10:14:28 am
      The thing I find incredibly hard to believe that after what 15 years of being a manager and doing things a certain way that he is all of a sudden going to do things totally different?
      Yet you say you wouldn't "discount" him signing a "big player"... which seems to contradict what you are telling others they should discount.

A cynic might think that you're getting your retaliation in early, by hedging your bets, so that you don't look like you're flip-flopping if and when it happens A-Zed. Thankfully I'm not cynical.  :laugh:

Personally I, (and this is only my opinion; I certainly won't claim to know Jürgen as much as others appear to), believe that...

#1: financial constraints at Dortmund meant Jürgen had to build a team on the cheap [not that any German teams paid much, for players at that time anyway] then sell it's best parts;
      #2: that, given any option, he wouldn't have wanted to and
      3#: such is his quality that, if didn't have to sell, rather than the two - he could have won title, after title, after title, with them.

Jürgen had the perfect storm at Dortmund - a top manager finding top players (amongst the very many he signed) at a time when the big money team, Bayern, had taken their eye of the ball. All of which come to an end, in glorious fashion, as soon as Bayern started flexing their muscle and buying quality again. As good great as he is; Jürgen just couldn't compete... no manager of a selling team can.

I hope and trust that Jürgen, without the handicap of financial constraints, can right those wrongs here; starting this summer.

We are F***ing minted - anyone who says we aren't is a liar. We were told that profits would be reinvested into playing staff yet now... we have to buy the notion that the best we can expect is £33m + players sales?  :laugh: :laugh:
      « Last Edit: Jun 22, 2016 10:33:20 am by bad boy bubby »
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #48: Jun 22, 2016 10:25:48 am
      £10m is far to much for a teenage defender, I'd rather double the money and go for experience. Leicester should be told to do one!

That's the entire point of his valuation. They don't want to sell him. They want to keep their squad together as much as possible so they can have another stab at the league and not embarrass themselves in Europe and who can blame them, let alone begrudge them that? Besides, I can't see Moreno losing any sleep over Chilwell competing for his position.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #49: Jun 22, 2016 10:35:07 am
      That's the entire point of his valuation. They don't want to sell him. They want to keep their squad together as much as possible so they can have another stab at the league and not embarrass themselves in Europe and who can blame them, let alone begrudge them that? Besides, I can't see Moreno losing any sleep over Chilwell competing for his position.

They might not want to sell him but I don't think Chilwell wants to sign a new contract.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #50: Jun 22, 2016 10:37:14 am

I recall Bill Shankly spending big money for the Mighty Emlyn Hughes in 1967 and he didn't turn out too bad for a young lad.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,188 posts | 4404 
      Reply #51: Jun 22, 2016 03:55:27 pm
      The Reds are unwilling to pay the £10million demanded by the Premier League champions to secure the services of the England Under-21s international.

An offer of £5million plus £2million in add-ons has been rejected and Liverpool are now considering their options.

Chilwell is understood to be keen on a move to Anfield with manager Jürgen Klopp wanting him to compete with Alberto Moreno for the left-back spot.

However, unless the Foxes show a willingness to negotiate on the fee then the young defender is likely to stay put and run down the final year of his current contract.

Liverpool aren’t prepared to pay £10million for a 19-year-old who has yet to make his Premier League debut. Chilwell’s three senior appearances for the Foxes all came in the domestic cup competitions last season.If the situation doesn’t change then the Reds will pursue other left-back options. Hull City’s Scotland international Andrew Robertson is one of a number of names under consideration.

Liverpool are looking for a young left-back who will grow and develop under the guidance of Klopp.

The Reds have been heavily linked with FC Cologne’s Jonas Hector. However, the Germany international doesn’t fit that description and the ECHO understands he’s not being pursued.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,821 posts | 2452 
      Reply #52: Jun 22, 2016 03:58:11 pm
      The Reds are unwilling to pay the £10million demanded by the Premier League champions to secure the services of the England Under-21s international.

An offer of £5million plus £2million in add-ons has been rejected and Liverpool are now considering their options.

Chilwell is understood to be keen on a move to Anfield with manager Jürgen Klopp wanting him to compete with Alberto Moreno for the left-back spot.

However, unless the Foxes show a willingness to negotiate on the fee then the young defender is likely to stay put and run down the final year of his current contract.

Liverpool aren’t prepared to pay £10million for a 19-year-old who has yet to make his Premier League debut. Chilwell’s three senior appearances for the Foxes all came in the domestic cup competitions last season.If the situation doesn’t change then the Reds will pursue other left-back options. Hull City’s Scotland international Andrew Robertson is one of a number of names under consideration.

Liverpool are looking for a young left-back who will grow and develop under the guidance of Klopp.

The Reds have been heavily linked with FC Cologne’s Jonas Hector. However, the Germany international doesn’t fit that description and the ECHO understands he’s not being pursued.

Good I'm glad.

We should be signing an experienced replacement for Moreno not another kid with "potential".
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,188 posts | 4404 
      Reply #53: Jun 22, 2016 04:18:22 pm
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #54: Jun 22, 2016 04:23:20 pm
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,938 posts | 4994 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #55: Jun 22, 2016 05:29:00 pm
      People may not like my interpretation of the situation but I'm far from thick or a kneejerker.

I think people are pretty selective about what aspects of the Dortmund story are played up. It is beyond doubt that Klopp, partially through having players poached, looked to shift his transfer business as time progressed at Dortmund. It wasn't always Lewandowski for a pittance.

We aren't in Dortmund's position of 2007 and we are in a league with potentially eight decent teams next season including us.

There is a huge risk in not adequately backing this manager and I don't necessarily think it would take 150m either. Jürgen Klopp is the best possible candidate we could have gotten but he could have chosen far easier jobs than us. Frankly we are lucky to have him, but we do so I'd like to see us make the most of it.

I am more than happy to agree to disagree with you on this but no amount of telling me to "keep the faith in Jürgen" is going to convince me that we've got a coherent and plausible transfer strategy until I see evidence over the next few windows.

I've read your posts mate and you do make some valid points, I think we all want the same thing in the end and thats Jürgen taking us back to the glory days of winning titles & silverware,
      But that won't happen overnight mate, he doesn't work that way,
      He likes to build sides bit by bit, he's had 7 months to assess what is required for this particular project, he will slowly faze out those not suited to his methods and bring in those who will be,this obviously takes time certainly more than 8 months,
      With all due respect mate I think you need to have more patience,
      We are all excited Jürgen is our manager, we are all holding our collective breaths, I think we all know that he will succeed here, but he's not a miracle worker,
      We have to let him do his thing, we have to trust him to bring in who he thinks will deliver what he wants,
      some of his signings may not be what we expect, some may work some may not that's just the way it is,
      Who knows who will arrive this window, but whoever they are they will be part of Jürgen's grand plan,
      I'm excited about that in itself and I trust him to deliver the players that will bring the success we all want.

YNWA
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,329 posts | 6384 
      Reply #56: Jun 22, 2016 05:42:56 pm
      I've read your posts mate and you do make some valid points, I think we all want the same thing in the end and thats Jürgen taking us back to the glory days of winning titles & silverware,
      But that won't happen overnight mate, he doesn't work that way,
      He likes to build sides bit by bit, he's had 7 months to assess what is required for this particular project, he will slowly faze out those not suited to his methods and bring in those who will be,this obviously takes time certainly more than 8 months,
      With all due respect mate I think you need to have more patience,
      We are all excited Jürgen is our manager, we are all holding our collective breaths, I think we all know that he will succeed here, but he's not a miracle worker,
      We have to let him do his thing, we have to trust him to bring in who he thinks will deliver what he wants,
      some of his signings may not be what we expect, some may work some may not that's just the way it is,
      Who knows who will arrive this window, but whoever they are they will be part of Jürgen's grand plan,
      I'm excited about that in itself and I trust him to deliver the players that will bring the success we all want.

YNWA

Good post, I don't want to wait because I'm an impatient b***ard, but you make very good  points. Well said.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #57: Jun 22, 2016 05:56:35 pm
      £10m for a kid that's had 11 professional games in his life, absolutely ridiculous. He may very well be good enough in the future, but for now, I would rather us pay £5-£10m more for an established/experienced left back that could give us a solid 3-5 seasons.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,938 posts | 4994 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #58: Jun 22, 2016 06:46:03 pm
      Good post, I don't want to wait because I'm an impatient b***ard, but you make very good  points. Well said.

I don't want to wait either FL jeez haven't we waited long enough ? But  unfortunately that's exactly what we have to do, it may not be for much longer, it could well possibly be another year or two, not since the Rafa days have I been so optimistic tho, depending who else comes in in this window it's not inconceivable it will happen next May, but if I'm totally honest I'd settle for a convincing top 4 and perhaps some tin to go with it,
      of course we'll all say we're going to win it when asked, and this season we genuinely do have a great chance,

What I do expect tho is a uptake in how we finish off games, we let slip winning positions far to easily last season, I expect us to be resolute when leading a match, not F**k about waiting for the inevitable, I want us to be ruthless, I'm fed up seeing us being a soft touch and being dominated by sides 9/10 times we should be battering, I'd love a Souness or McMahon type CM, someone not to be fu**ed with, I think Jürgen will know exactly what is needed this season, and if we come up short, he will strengthen again for the following season, the pieces of the jigsaw are slowly being put in place, and soon we will be watching the masterpiece.

YNWA
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #59: Jun 22, 2016 06:53:08 pm
      We should be signing an experienced replacement for Moreno not another kid with "potential".

I think Klopp rates Moreno higher than most of our fan base, and our interest in Chilwell seemingly indicates that he is likely to remain 1st choice LB next season.  I'm happy enough with this, but we may need to put about 80% of the fan base on suicide watch  :lmao:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #60: Jun 22, 2016 06:57:05 pm
      I think Klopp rates Moreno higher than most of our fan base, and our interest in Chilwell seemingly indicates that he is likely to remain 1st choice LB next season.  I'm happy enough with this, but we may need to put about 80% of the fan base on suicide watch  :lmao:

It's going to take a radical turnaround for Moreno to somehow turn into a good defender.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #61: Jun 22, 2016 07:00:28 pm
      It's going to take a radical turnaround for Moreno to somehow turn into a good defender.

Never say never mate, not with the Jurgmeister in charge  ;D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,329 posts | 6384 
      Reply #62: Jun 22, 2016 07:09:53 pm

Can Jürgen literally make his brain not fart before engaging??

Moreno has great skills...but he seems to not have much between the ears.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #63: Jun 22, 2016 07:16:11 pm
      Chilwellgate demonstrates for me all that's wrong with our transfer policy. He may well turn out to be a brilliant player and a snip at 10 million quid, but unless we are going to ALSO buy a proper left back, one who claims the spot for his own STRAIGHT AWAY then we shouldn't be going there.

Look, we all know Moreno is a f****** liability. You don't replace/give competition to a liability with a 19 year old kid who's never played a league game. Is it "backing" the boss to say that's what he actually wants to do? Really? Because if it is I can't back him on this decision. It's bollocks, of course we need a proper ready made oft back and Jürgen knows it.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #64: Jun 22, 2016 07:35:02 pm

He's not a miracle worker though :D Moreno has zero common sense when he's on the pitch.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #65: Jun 22, 2016 07:40:26 pm
      Can Jürgen literally make his brain not fart before engaging??

Moreno has great skills...but he seems to not have much between the ears.

He's not a miracle worker though :D Moreno has zero common sense when he's on the pitch.

You're probably right lads, common sense and game intelligence isn't easily taught but he probably thinks that with better behind and to the side of him but with the attacking ability he has we'll be alright.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,329 posts | 6384 
      Reply #66: Jun 22, 2016 07:57:03 pm
      You're probably right lads, common sense and game intelligence isn't easily taught but he probably thinks that with better behind and to the side of him but with the attacking ability he has we'll be alright.

Maybe instead of going and buying a winger, he should just try to convert Moreno...he seems much more suited to attack anyway. Or maybe that's his idea....having Chilwell learn behind him then moving Moreno up the pitch?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #67: Jun 22, 2016 08:00:33 pm
      Maybe instead of going and buying a winger, he should just try to convert Moreno...he seems much more suited to attack anyway. Or maybe that's his idea....having Chilwell learn behind him then moving Moreno up the pitch?

You mean learn how not to be a full back? :D
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #68: Jun 22, 2016 08:01:16 pm

My understanding is as a youth he played winger and when he first arrived at Sevilla Athletico he played a wing-back/winger roll which converted to being a full-back when he went to Sevilla...so in essences he learned his trade as an attacker before he ever became a defender.

And it shows.

Quick Reply