Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Ben Chilwell (Leicester City)

Read 22621 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Re: Ben Chilwell (Leicester City)
      Reply #69: Jun 22, 2016 08:03:02 pm
      You mean learn how not to be a full back? :D

Good point...

"Ben...watch Moreno and don't do anything he does defensively...BOOM" ;D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #70: Jun 22, 2016 08:12:46 pm
      Maybe instead of going and buying a winger, he should just try to convert Moreno...he seems much more suited to attack anyway. Or maybe that's his idea....having Chilwell learn behind him then moving Moreno up the pitch?

You mean learn how not to be a full back? :D

My understanding is as a youth he played winger and when he first arrived at Sevilla Athletico he played a wing-back/winger roll which converted to being a full-back when he went to Sevilla...so in essences he learned his trade as an attacker before he ever became a defender.

What was it Carra said - nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville?

That's usually how youth coaching works or at least that's how I understand Clubs like Ajax do it.  Everyone at 5/6/7 starts off as a striker/attacker, then they gradually move further and further back until they find their level or fail and stop playing, apart from the keepers.

My son started out as a wide right attacker at 10 years old and by 15 he was a CB where he remained until he retired from the game.

Whatever we think of Moreno and whatever F**k up he made in the EL final and other games, he did improve both his attacking and defending, he just needs to continue that and we could have a player on our hands  :couch:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #71: Jun 22, 2016 08:23:21 pm
      Moreno has pretty good Stats doesn't he especially going forward. I would give him another season and see if he can improve defensively
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #72: Jun 22, 2016 09:10:17 pm
      Moreno has pretty good Stats doesn't he especially going forward. I would give him another season and see if he can improve defensively

Agree Walton, look I know he sometimes looks like a camel on a iceberg but with a bit of tuition I think he could surprise us, remember how Dejan was early doors, he kept f***in things up and we all wondered if Brendan had bought the wrong player,

Give him the benefit of the doubt this season see what transpires, like Debs said never say never, didn't the Tin man get sorted in the end?

YNWA
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #73: Jun 22, 2016 09:18:32 pm
      Agree Walton, look I know he sometimes looks like a camel on a iceberg but with a bit of tuition I think he could surprise us, remember how Dejan was early doors, he kept f***in things up and we all wondered if Brendan had bought the wrong player,

Give him the benefit of the doubt this season see what transpires, like Debs said never say never, didn't the Tin man get sorted in the end?

YNWA

he has unbelievable pace and that's a good starting point. I must admit he drives me nuts but then his assists record is good
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #74: Jun 22, 2016 09:22:47 pm

I believe he had the best "chance creation" stats in the PL mate, or it might have been for the 2nd half of the season but he definitely improve even if he still had the odd major brain fart.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #75: Jun 22, 2016 09:25:24 pm
      I believe he had the best "chance creation" stats in the PL mate, or it might have been for the 2nd half of the season but he definitely improve even if he still had the odd major brain fart.

He ended up with something like 6 or 7 assists. All but one of them were decent assists too.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #76: Jun 22, 2016 09:31:43 pm
      He ended up with something like 6 or 7 assists. All but one of them were decent assists too.

Not bad for a fb mate, get Clyne doing the same and we'll be golden  ;)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #77: Jun 22, 2016 09:54:58 pm

His pace is going to highlight some weaknesses simply because he is just so quick.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #78: Jun 22, 2016 09:56:28 pm
      His pace is going to highlight some weaknesses simply because he is just so quick.

Yep.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #79: Jun 22, 2016 10:14:01 pm

Can't remember any of them to be honest, but I imagine just laying the ball off to Coutinho to smash one cutting in from the left is not really arduous.

Edit : 1 goal and 5 assists
      « Last Edit: Jun 22, 2016 11:08:54 pm by HScRed1 »
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #80: Jun 22, 2016 11:02:25 pm
      Apparently looking int0 Andrew Robertson of Hull, the Scottish left back at Hull. Raved about in the Championship, he was regarded as the best left back in that league last year.

A young player still who keeps on maturing, it will be interesting to see if we keep tabs on him.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #81: Jun 22, 2016 11:13:52 pm
      Apparently looking int0 Andrew Robertson of Hull, the Scottish left back at Hull. Raved about in the Championship, he was regarded as the best left back in that league last year.

A young player still who keeps on maturing, it will be interesting to see if we keep tabs on him.

I remember him getting some rave reviews when he was playing in the PL. Would rather we take a punt on this kid and have him compete against Moreno than Chilwell.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #82: Jun 22, 2016 11:17:54 pm

I can imagine Jürgen is going to give a few of us a heart attack by bringing in unknowns.

He must get some sort of kick of developing or maybe even its the opportunity he has given to players who big clubs ignore, a la has been mentioned he can easily pick up Jonas Hector.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #83: Jun 22, 2016 11:46:03 pm
      Can't remember any of them to be honest, but I imagine just laying the ball off to Coutinho to smash one cutting in from the left is not really arduous.

Edit : 1 goal and 5 assists

Only 1 or 2 of the 6 assists he got were little tap passes.

Just looked on TransferMarkt. It only mentions 6 but they were:

Norwich (1-1) - (1 assist) Great knock over the top to Ings.
      Stoke (4-1) - (1 assist) Basic 2 yard pass to Origi 40 yards away from goal
      Newcastle (2-2) - (2 assists) Another great knock over the top from a free kick, Studge chests it down, turns and puts it in the bottom corner. Second one was a 15 yard pass along the ground across the edge of the box.
      Southampton (6-1) - (2 assists) The first assist was a hammer of a shot that ended up taking a deflection off Origi. The second was a lofted cross into the box where Ibe chested it down and scored.

All in all, they've actually been some good assists.

Anyway, on the topic of Chilwell, since we're not willing to up our bid to £10m it'll be interesting to see if he accepts the contract that Leicester want to offer him or if he will let his contract run down and go to somewhere like Arsenal next summer.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #84: Jun 22, 2016 11:52:12 pm
      I can imagine Jürgen is going to give a few of us a heart attack by bringing in unknowns.

He must get some sort of kick of developing or maybe even its the opportunity he has given to players who big clubs ignore, a la has been mentioned he can easily pick up Jonas Hector.

Some of it, not all of it I am sure is the ability to teach a younger player to kill themselves physically on the pitch with his style of play...part of what he brings is that sheer emotion/energy never die type demeanor.

Again while I am sure that it is not so black and white in some cases its really not hard to see some 27 year old player that already has more money than he can ever spend want to work so hard in his type of system or change the way he plays for the manager/system.

You can mold 24 years old and down....the clay starts getting a bit stiff to shape as it gets hard with age.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #85: Jun 23, 2016 09:21:58 am
      Maybe instead of going and buying a winger, he should just try to convert Moreno...he seems much more suited to attack anyway. Or maybe that's his idea....having Chilwell learn behind him then moving Moreno up the pitch?

Exactly.

Moreno will *never* become a left back. In his brain (how much of there is I don't know) he is a winger. Klopp should convert him to winger and we have another left back.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #86: Jun 23, 2016 11:53:10 am
      Here's another example to me of restrictive buying guidelines. If Klopp really wants this kid and thinks he is going to run roughshod in a few years, why not pony up the extra couple million to get him? Why are we dickering about over a seemingly small amount of money?
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #87: Jun 23, 2016 03:13:14 pm
      Here's another example to me of restrictive buying guidelines. If Klopp really wants this kid and thinks he is going to run roughshod in a few years, why not pony up the extra couple million to get him? Why are we dickering about over a seemingly small amount of money?

Because 10M for a player who has never played in the premier league is absurd. The way it works is you have the maximum price you are willing to pay for a player and do not go a penny above it. You have to stop somewhere.

Going from 7M-10M is roughly 43% more. (I believe our bid was 7M, correct me if I am wrong). Imagine if we were talking about a 30M player, you wouldn't be saying the same thing.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #88: Jun 23, 2016 04:08:18 pm
      Because 10M for a player who has never played in the premier league is absurd. The way it works is you have the maximum price you are willing to pay for a player and do not go a penny above it. You have to stop somewhere.

Going from 7M-10M is roughly 43% more. (I believe our bid was 7M, correct me if I am wrong). Imagine if we were talking about a 30M player, you wouldn't be saying the same thing.

10m sounds about right to me if this kid's really good enough to have turned Klopp's eye.

Why are you concerned with the price? We should have plenty of money to spend.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #89: Jun 23, 2016 04:11:03 pm
      10m sounds about right to me if this kid's really good enough to have turned Klopp's eye.

Why are you concerned with the price? We should have plenty of money to spend.

Plenty of money and plenty of money "to spend" are two very different things.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #90: Jun 23, 2016 04:18:22 pm
      Plenty of money and plenty of money "to spend" are two very different things.

Mmm....good point. Sure would be nice if those things married up.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #91: Jun 23, 2016 07:13:04 pm
      Hull? Really?

Yes, and some people would have raised a few eyebrows if someone had mentioned buying someone from Leicester before the start of last season. Just because they are one of the lesser lights of the premiership, doesn't mean all there players are crap.

Quick Reply