Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Sadio Mané (Liverpool > Bayern Munich)

Read 264884 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Sadio Mane Player Thread
      Reply #92: Jul 01, 2016 01:29:06 pm
      :f_tongueincheek: Mane being Mane will definitely cost us a lot of money. Because his name is Mane.  :f_tongueincheek: But think about it, if we get into the CL, the money will finance around about half of the £30m. So the gamble on this guy is we make it to the top four for the next two seasons. And if he can improve, flog him at a higher price to Real or Barca. That will be the perfect scenario that this transfer pays for itself. Everyone's happy.

Downside is we end up selling him for £20m or less. Net cost will be £10-15m. At lest the numbers look somewhat nicer than Ballotelli, which is looking like someone will offer us next to nothing for him.

Seriously who actually gives a F**k about sh*te like that?  :laugh:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #93: Jul 01, 2016 01:42:50 pm
      Seriously who actually gives a f**k about sh*te like that?  :laugh:

FSG
      Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Reply #94: Jul 03, 2016 10:16:52 pm
      « Last Edit: Jul 03, 2016 10:36:19 pm by Red John »
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #95: Jul 06, 2016 10:15:54 pm
      Jürgen's happy. I'm happy. Everyone else seems happy in here.

How do you know Klopp is happy?  what is he going to come out and say, "I wanted Götze, we could only get Mane, I guess I'll just have to deal with it"?  You have no idea if this is what he wanted or not.  We only know it's what he got.

And it's "supporters" like you which is which is wrong with a part of this club. Get a grip and have some faith for f**k sake, writing off a player who has had a decent career so far before he has even trained with us

You see the problem with this approach is that if you do that, you can basically never, EVER judge a transfer.  Ever.  Because once it's done, it's done.  There's no return policy if he turns out to be sh*te.  So when CAN we judge it?  well we can't judge a player after a season, because, well, it was his first season, he needs time to adjust, blah blah blah.  So in effect it will be years before we actually know whether or not this was a good transfer.  And by that time it will be done and dusted, it won't really matter whether or not he was good because the money will have been long gone by then.  So we get players who we can only judge at some point in the distant future, and our goals of success then become irrelevant, because, well, the players need time to gel, it's a work in progress, but then of course the good players we DO have get tired of waiting and move to other clubs who prioritize winning NOW.  And then we have to replace THOSE players with other gambles, hoping they'll get better, and we start all the way back where we were, one step forward, two steps back.

You talk about having faith, well let's see, we were told to have faith that Carroll would come good, faith that Downing would come good, faith that Lallana would come good, we were told to have faith in Benteke, told to have faith in Aquilani going back a few years, the list goes on and on.  All failures.  And all EXPENSIVE failures.  So basically what you're saying is that next summer, if this Mane move doesn't work out, you'll tell us to have faith in the next absurdly expensive player we buy who has done nothing to justify the fee we've paid for him.  Your big plan is to keep having faith while we slowly slide into permanent mid-table mediocrity.  That's not a good kind of faith to have.

Go have a look at his thread when we first were rumoured to be interested in him.  Of course you're too lazy to go find stuff that doesn't support your argument so I'll provide the link for you:

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,48801.0.html

Look at all the people questioning whether it was a good decision.  Are you telling me that all of you thought that we finally got Klopp, the owners are going to spend money, the manager will attract top players, and the player you had in mind for the summer was---Sadio Mane?!  of course not!  No one would have said "yeah, we should get Mane," let alone at THAT fee.

The problem is the PROCESS.  The problem is the METHOD.  I have no idea what is going to happen with Mane, he may be incredible or he may be awful.  The point is, we don't have the luxury of being able to take expensive risks on players who have not 100% proven they are good enough for us.  End of.  If this doesn't work out, FSG aren't just going to write another 30 million quid cheque for us.  It HAS to work.  So for that kind of money, you have to minimize risks by only spending that amount on players of whom there is almost no doubt whatsoever.  You cannot say that about Mane.

Not top 4, buys like this must win us the league. We aren't Arsenal.

Exactly.  When the season finished, if we had had a poll asking "what player will help us win the league?", there wouldn't have been anyone on here who would've said "Sadio Mane." 

We cannot keep doing this.  And don't tell me about CL football and about London, it's a load of cobblers, the Mancs just signed Mkhitaryan for LESS than we paid for Mane!!!  how absurd is that!  they've got Ibrahimovic, going after Pogba, and we're saying "yes yes yes we've got Sadio Mane!!! woohoo!!"

The problem is FSG.  It's as simple as that.  I had a go at Rodgers for his sh*te signings, but this is three managers in a row under FSG who have consistently brought in average players.  Too much of a coincidence.  The common denominator is FSG, and it's getting very old, very quickly.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #96: Jul 06, 2016 11:46:26 pm

Not before he has even played a game for us that's for sure. Kind of goes without saying really.

Of course you're too lazy to go find stuff that doesn't support your argument so I'll provide the link for you:

Why would I need to provide anything for my argument when all I have said is you can't judge him before he's even kicked a ball for us and to have faith you bloody pillock?! There is nothing to provide for saying that but nice try on being an arse there, you really pulled it off  :gt-happyup:

Although actually, I also said he has had a decent career so far so I will provide you with something; 185 games and 75 goals at the age of 24 and being a winger.

But in response to this -

The first few replies on that topic are saying they like him, he would suit us etc. In fact looking through a lot of that thread I think people were more questioning the fee rather than the player. Because myself included thought yeah if it was for a lower fee.
      It's amusing when you try being an arse and clever by "supporting" your argument but then we actually see it's to the opposite of what you are saying.

the owners are going to spend money

Well a lot of people seem to have it lodged in their heads that we don't spend money.

we were told to have faith that Carroll would come good, faith that Downing would come good, faith that Lallana would come good, we were told to have faith in Benteke, told to have faith in Aquilani going back a few years, the list goes on and on.  All failures.

But yet Coutinho, Sturridge, Suarez etc all a success.

You've just got the hump because we still haven't signed your precious Diame. Although even if we did I bet you would still bi*ch and moan.
      « Last Edit: Jul 06, 2016 11:58:05 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #97: Jul 07, 2016 12:07:07 am
      Isn't federer a tennis player? Opinion deleted.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #98: Jul 07, 2016 12:21:51 am
      Not before he has even played a game for us that's for sure. Kind of goes without saying really.

I quite clearly said that I am not judging his output as a player.  None of us know how he will or won't turn out in the future.  Maybe he'll turn into Suarez.  Or maybe he'll be Ryan Babel.  Who knows.

What I am saying is that the TYPE of transfer he represents is one that we cannot afford.  We don't have a lot of money to spend; if we are going to spend large sums of it (for us) then we have to do it for players that are very low-risk.  You can't tell me that a player whose biggest achievement is scoring goals at Saints is not a risk.  When you combine that with the fee, the risk becomes even higher. 

It's the TYPE of deal.  If I told you we are going to spend £30m on a midtable player each summer for the next five years, you would say I was insane.  So what is the difference here?  because you THINK Mane is going to be different?  but what if he's not?! 

On the other hand, if I told you we'd spend £30m on a player from a league winning side in Europe consistently playing in CL, you would say that's more like it.

But yet Coutinho, Sturridge, Suarez etc all a success.

Relatively speaking we spent pennies on Coutinho/Suarez/Sturridge.  What we paid for them was appropriate to their risk.  Coutinho we bought for, what, £10m?  Sturridge for barely more than that.  If we paid that for Mane, ok, fine.  Why?  because we'd still have a lot of quid left over to spend on TOP players, and if Mane ends up being a flop, we didn't waste too much money on him.

But that's not what we did.  We payed almost exactly the same amount for Mane as Arsenal did for Alexis Sanchez. 

You see nothing wrong with that?!
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #99: Jul 07, 2016 12:59:25 am
      It is the sort of signing that will see Jürgen fall on his own sword if it doesn't work out. Whilst I am a Kloppite I personally would have looked elsewhere to spunk 30m. I believe in Jürgen though and if he can turn him into a world class player then I will back him to the tilt.

Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #100: Jul 07, 2016 01:06:46 am
      Whilst I quite like Mane (although I think his first touch is quite iffy) I have to agree with Fed here I terms of the type of player/transfer. He could be a world beater but he could just as easily be this year's Lallana. I'm still hoping there's a couple more decent signings around the corner but suspect that Mane is the BIG one for this summer. Been hoping for Maric Hamsik myself, ticks every box for me and the type of player we should be going for (plus he is just what our frickin midfield needs, we have the most boring centre midfield line up since I can remember)

As for judging players the moment the transfer has happened I think we all do it to some degree don't we? Either your ecstatic, fairly happy, a bit unsure or downright pissed at a transfer. For this one I'm sitting somewhere between fairly happy and a bit unsure. Of course opinions are also affected by other factors such as "is this all that's left to spend and could it have been spent better on x player etc"
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #101: Jul 09, 2016 12:41:52 am
      Brilliant debut in pre-season; all of his attributes on display along with great link-up play with Bobby.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #102: Jul 14, 2016 12:21:31 pm
      Very impressed

Bullish, direct, can pass the ball, efficient, and links up well, pacey, confident and clever too

Bring it!
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #103: Jul 14, 2016 01:10:45 pm
      Very impressed

Bullish, direct, can pass the ball, efficient, and links up well, pacey, confident and clever too

Bring it!

Obviously the real acid test is yet to come, but he has shown really encouraging signs so far in preseason!!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #104: Jul 14, 2016 01:18:01 pm
      Very pleased with Mane so far , while I am very pleased with the performances of all our new signings so far, I think Mane may eventually prove the standout buy, mainly because it is a position we have been crying out to fill since Sterling left.

Harder tests to come of course, but I think he has made a bright start.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #105: Jul 14, 2016 04:08:18 pm
      How do you know Klopp is happy?  what is he going to come out and say, "I wanted Götze, we could only get Mane, I guess I'll just have to deal with it"?  You have no idea if this is what he wanted or not.  We only know it's what he got.

You see the problem with this approach is that if you do that, you can basically never, EVER judge a transfer.  Ever.  Because once it's done, it's done.  There's no return policy if he turns out to be sh*te.  So when CAN we judge it?  well we can't judge a player after a season, because, well, it was his first season, he needs time to adjust, blah blah blah.  So in effect it will be years before we actually know whether or not this was a good transfer.  And by that time it will be done and dusted, it won't really matter whether or not he was good because the money will have been long gone by then.  So we get players who we can only judge at some point in the distant future, and our goals of success then become irrelevant, because, well, the players need time to gel, it's a work in progress, but then of course the good players we DO have get tired of waiting and move to other clubs who prioritize winning NOW.  And then we have to replace THOSE players with other gambles, hoping they'll get better, and we start all the way back where we were, one step forward, two steps back.

You talk about having faith, well let's see, we were told to have faith that Carroll would come good, faith that Downing would come good, faith that Lallana would come good, we were told to have faith in Benteke, told to have faith in Aquilani going back a few years, the list goes on and on.  All failures.  And all EXPENSIVE failures.  So basically what you're saying is that next summer, if this Mane move doesn't work out, you'll tell us to have faith in the next absurdly expensive player we buy who has done nothing to justify the fee we've paid for him.  Your big plan is to keep having faith while we slowly slide into permanent mid-table mediocrity.  That's not a good kind of faith to have.

Go have a look at his thread when we first were rumoured to be interested in him.  Of course you're too lazy to go find stuff that doesn't support your argument so I'll provide the link for you:

Look at all the people questioning whether it was a good decision.  Are you telling me that all of you thought that we finally got Klopp, the owners are going to spend money, the manager will attract top players, and the player you had in mind for the summer was---Sadio Mane?!  of course not!  No one would have said "yeah, we should get Mane," let alone at THAT fee.

The problem is the PROCESS.  The problem is the METHOD.  I have no idea what is going to happen with Mane, he may be incredible or he may be awful.  The point is, we don't have the luxury of being able to take expensive risks on players who have not 100% proven they are good enough for us.  End of.  If this doesn't work out, FSG aren't just going to write another 30 million quid cheque for us.  It HAS to work.  So for that kind of money, you have to minimize risks by only spending that amount on players of whom there is almost no doubt whatsoever.  You cannot say that about Mane.

Exactly.  When the season finished, if we had had a poll asking "what player will help us win the league?", there wouldn't have been anyone on here who would've said "Sadio Mane." 

We cannot keep doing this.  And don't tell me about CL football and about London, it's a load of cobblers, the Mancs just signed Mkhitaryan for LESS than we paid for Mane!!!  how absurd is that!  they've got Ibrahimovic, going after Pogba, and we're saying "yes yes yes we've got Sadio Mane!!! woohoo!!"

The problem is FSG.  It's as simple as that.  I had a go at Rodgers for his sh*te signings, but this is three managers in a row under FSG who have consistently brought in average players.  Too much of a coincidence.  The common denominator is FSG, and it's getting very old, very quickly.

Good post Fed even if I don't quite agree with you. I do agree that there are better out there, but are there better out there that we could attract? Mane may not be the world class player we all hoped for but for me he is a better "fit" than Gotze would have been (although I would have liked him too).

Either we start throwing big money at players or accept that the big name players just won't be coming, and as you rightly say under FSG that won't be happening.

I think Mane is probably the best we can do under the restrictions and limitations of our recent history and owners. I would certainly class him as a quality player even if he's not quite the highest quality.

Yes I would have preferred Sanchez, but he's not an option while Mane for me is what we needed... a goal scoring winger who hopefully will get even better.

I don't believe it is all down to FSG because we have consistently bought poorly even with the restrictions, but they certainly haven't helped.   

I still hope for a couple of players of similar quality/price to Mane coming in yet but unless we are willing to throw money at them I doubt we will see better.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #106: Jul 21, 2016 08:47:37 am
      I dont know about you people but i am not really happy with the signing of this player, i dont like him since the last year,but who knows,maybe he doesnt become a fluke like Benteke. And i was thinking,how much would Ronaldinho be worth today if Mane and Wijnaldum worth about 60mil pounds.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #107: Jul 21, 2016 09:22:54 am
      Very pleased with Mane so far , while I am very pleased with the performances of all our new signings so far, I think Mane may eventually prove the standout buy, mainly because it is a position we have been crying out to fill since Sterling left.

Harder tests to come of course, but I think he has made a bright start.

I have only seen highlights and minimal coverage but in the overall minute  ;D I have seen from Mane, he looks as keen as mustard, very pacey and direct - suffice to say that minute was encouraging.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #108: Jul 21, 2016 09:26:52 am

I must say, that is a superb post.
      Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Reply #109: Jul 26, 2016 11:12:08 pm
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #110: Jul 27, 2016 02:16:07 am
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #111: Jul 27, 2016 02:58:48 am
      I must say, that is a superb post.

no it isn't. he called Lallana a failure. he mentioned Alberto Aquilani for some reason (wasn't he signed by H&G?). he's whining as usual that we don't sign big name players which is why he should go back to the chelsea forums.

"The point is, we don't have the luxury of being able to take expensive risks on players who have not 100% proven they are good enough for us.  End of.  If this doesn't work out, FSG aren't just going to write another 30 million quid cheque for us.  It HAS to work.  So for that kind of money, you have to minimize risks by only spending that amount on players of whom there is almost no doubt whatsoever. "

this is pure fantasy. this has to be written by a child. who the f**k in world football has "100% proven they are good enough for us"? Paul Pogba? how the f**k does someone prove by playing for another club that they're good enough for Liverpool FC? who can we sign right now in world football that has "almost no doubt whatsoever" attached to them? i'll give you a hint, his Nationality doesn't exist because he doesn't either.

all i see is a child whining about money, comparing transfer fees with manchester united the same sh*t he's done since he started posting. he's obviously brainwashed a few by now.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #112: Aug 06, 2016 11:03:11 pm
      Man of the match for me against Barca today, lovely skills on the ball, superb awareness, linked up brilliantly with Lallana today, really looking forward to seeing him play when the real rough and tumble of the premiership starts next week.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #113: Aug 06, 2016 11:14:28 pm
      Man of the match for me against Barca today, lovely skills on the ball, superb awareness, linked up brilliantly with Lallana today, really looking forward to seeing him play when the real rough and tumble of the premiership starts next week.

Looks the business Cas and he certainly isn't made of glass.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #114: Aug 06, 2016 11:27:31 pm
      It's been said numerous times but it's so refreshing to have a positive player whose first thought is to go forwards with the ball. Been very impressed with him throughout pre-season. He's certainly making me think about having him in my fantasy team :D.

Quick Reply