Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Sadio Mané (Liverpool > Bayern Munich)

Read 259319 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Sadio Mané Player Thread
      Reply #1610: Jan 18, 2022 11:05:22 pm
      We made sure he was well rested for his trip by starting Milner ahead of him

sounds legit!! fk sake!
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #1611: Jan 26, 2022 01:30:30 pm
      So Mane hits his head plays on scores a goal then collapses.

I really hate international tournaments.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #1612: Jan 26, 2022 02:32:33 pm
      So Mane hits his head plays on scores a goal then collapses.

I really hate international tournaments.

It's shocking how that can go on in modern day professional sport. Ian Wright labelled criticism of the AFCON tournament as being racially motivated. I've always believed a good chunk of the disdain for the tournament from EPL fans and the media was because it takes place bang in the middle of the season and therefore fans are unhappy to see their best players disappear for 3 weeks. However, incidents such as this one and the farcical refereeing in the group stages (the game that finished early) do nothing to improve the reputation of the tournament. Evidently Mane is going to be passed fit to play in the quarter final despite the fact he was evidently knocked unconscious in the last match. That's not right surely? 
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #1613: Jan 26, 2022 03:09:24 pm
      It's shocking how that can go on in modern day professional sport. Ian Wright labelled criticism of the AFCON tournament as being racially motivated. I've always believed a good chunk of the disdain for the tournament from EPL fans and the media was because it takes place bang in the middle of the season and therefore fans are unhappy to see their best players disappear for 3 weeks. However, incidents such as this one and the farcical refereeing in the group stages (the game that finished early) do nothing to improve the reputation of the tournament. Evidently Mane is going to be passed fit to play in the quarter final despite the fact he was evidently knocked unconscious in the last match. That's not right surely?

Fair points, but that can happen regardless of the competition or team. It's not an African problem.

Also, as ridiculous as the VAR red cards have been... it could well be a directive from FIFA for the tournament ahead of the World Cup. They do this from time to time and try out a new policy to see how it works. It's obviously a "thing" that they have really pushed in this tournament, but I don't believe it is an African problem either.

In any case it's ridiculous and it needs to stop now. Several games have been ruined by it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1614: Jan 26, 2022 03:57:03 pm

There's nothing racially motivated in the criticism of the way the tournament is being run. Anyone saying otherwise has an agenda to try and take the focus off the issue which is this has been a sh*t show of a tournament in more ways than one. Now we have deaths at a match because of a simple screw up. It's ridiculous. And I don't care about whatever excuses are provided, it's stupid to have this tournament smack dab in the middle of the EPL season.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1615: Jan 26, 2022 04:15:57 pm
      There's nothing racially motivated in the criticism of the way the tournament is being run. Anyone saying otherwise has an agenda to try and take the focus off the issue which is this has been a sh*t show of a tournament in more ways than one. Now we have deaths at a match because of a simple screw up. It's ridiculous. And I don't care about whatever excuses are provided, it's stupid to have this tournament smack dab in the middle of the EPL season.

It's not the first time something like that has happened concerning a disaster of people dying at a football match in Africa. But you do have to ask yourself how come everytime something like this happens  it's always reported as a stampede? Western media describe white fans as being crushed, black/brown it's a stampede. That would suggest a bit of blame being lashed at the fans and some of us know how that F***ing feels, so maybe pipe down with whatever you're F***ing moaning about. Only reason it's getting played now is because it was cancelled last F***ing summer due to covid. And also due to temperatures this time of year in Africa. Try learning about the rest of the world!!
      « Last Edit: Jan 26, 2022 04:22:57 pm by HUYTON RED »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #1616: Jan 26, 2022 04:20:09 pm
      The report said Manè collided with a player and was knocked out for a spell, he did go off eventually.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1617: Jan 26, 2022 04:24:06 pm
      The report said Manè collided with a player and was knocked out for a spell, he did go off eventually.

First challenge before the goal you can actually see when his head hits the deck he's spark out.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #1618: Jan 26, 2022 04:30:46 pm
      First challenge before the goal you can actually see when his head hits the deck he's spark out.

Hope the lad is ok.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1619: Jan 26, 2022 04:32:36 pm

Can see him missing the next game through concussion protocols. But he did post a photo of both him and the goalie in the medical room afterwards and they both seem sound.
      « Last Edit: Jan 26, 2022 04:42:41 pm by HUYTON RED »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #1620: Jan 26, 2022 04:33:10 pm

Yeah not pretty

Pics afterwards show him to be ok , scans etc are all fine
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #1621: Jan 26, 2022 04:44:57 pm
      Can him missing the next game through concussion protocols. But he did post a photo of both him and the goalie in the medical room afterwards and they both seem sound.

Is correct any loss of consciousness even for a short time needs to be monitored carefully, F***ing hate internationals.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #1622: Jan 26, 2022 05:21:47 pm

Yep, happened with Naby Keita a few years ago too and it cost him most of the season with Liverpool.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #1623: Jan 26, 2022 05:30:47 pm
      It's not the first time something like that has happened concerning a disaster of people dying at a football match in Africa. But you do have to ask yourself how come everytime something like this happens  it's always reported as a stampede? Western media describe white fans as being crushed, black/brown it's a stampede. That would suggest a bit of blame being lashed at the fans and some of us know how that f**king feels, so maybe pipe down with whatever you're f**king moaning about. Only reason it's getting played now is because it was cancelled last f**king summer due to covid. And also due to temperatures this time of year in Africa. Try learning about the rest of the world!!

Yeah that is a good point about the subtle tendency to blame the fans. We know what that is like better than most (not that it stopped at being subtle) - it is a tendency of organisers, police and their mates in the media to shift the blame of course.

The organisation of Afcon this year has obviously been really bad. But English football can't exactly throw too many stones about it either. At the Euros, we had England fans storm Wembley, with stewards and cops totally insufficient to stop it. Likewise our own concussion protocols are only just getting sorted out now - last season I remember a couple of players playing on when they obviously should have been taken off.

Anyway, hope Sadio is ok. Haven't seen the incident but sounds pretty bad - glad to hear he seems ok afterwards, but doesn't sound like he should play their next game (I'm not sure what the rules are about that - ie how long you don't play for if you've been knocked out?) The club needs to be making sure the rules are followed, if there is any suggestion they won't be. (Sadio will want to play no doubt, but sometimes you've got to protect players whether they like it or not.)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1624: Jan 26, 2022 05:44:12 pm
      Says the dumb f**king c**t who's never been to a proper footie match. Couldn't give a f**k what you think you arrogant tw*t, I'm speaking from experience hence I can play the hardass cos I've been there in crowds outside football grounds. I've been on the kop and felt a tiny bit cramped behind one of the barriers during a derby on the old standing kop.

How about you? Nah didn't f**king think so you know f**k all about crowds around a football stadium you cheeky gobs***e.

Just remember kidda everything you've seen about LFC I've done and bought the t-shirt and been on the dvd!!

For not caring what I think you sure do make a point to respond to a lot of my posts trying to put me down and puff your chest out. Doesn't change the fact that you are just a miserable bully. Big talker behind a keyboard. I don't know you personally but if you are half as miserable in person as you are on this forum, then I'm better off for it. But one thing I do know, you wouldn't be talking to me in person like you do hiding behind your screen. And do me a favor, if you don't care what I think then stop responding to my posts you weirdo.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1625: Jan 26, 2022 08:01:44 pm
      The organisation of Afcon this year has obviously been really bad. But English football can't exactly throw too many stones about it either. At the Euros, we had England fans storm Wembley, with stewards and cops totally insufficient to stop it. Likewise our own concussion protocols are only just getting sorted out now - last season I remember a couple of players playing on when they obviously should have been taken off.

Great points and absolutely spot on.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2051 
      Reply #1626: Jan 27, 2022 04:56:39 pm
      Yeah that is a good point about the subtle tendency to blame the fans. We know what that is like better than most (not that it stopped at being subtle) - it is a tendency of organisers, police and their mates in the media to shift the blame of course.

Anyway, hope Sadio is ok. Haven't seen the incident but sounds pretty bad - glad to hear he seems ok afterwards, but doesn't sound like he should play their next game (I'm not sure what the rules are about that - ie how long you don't play for if you've been knocked out?) The club needs to be making sure the rules are followed, if there is any suggestion they won't be. (Sadio will want to play no doubt, but sometimes you've got to protect players whether they like it or not.)

English FA certainly can't throw any stones. Everyone, including the media, thought that day in July was all for 'the bantz' and fun and games. Even saw that with the standard of coverage on BBC that day (Lineker, Shearer et al singing Sweet Caroline live in the studio? What happened to professionalism and balance) which was guilty for underplaying the appalling behaviour seen outside in the hours before and during the game. And I don't just mean the break ins and assault of police officers, it was the whole shebang. The drunken antics. The indecent exposure. Morons with fireworks up their backsides. The baiting of anything considered remotely foreign let alone Italian. It was an appalling advert for English football.

And I have to say, Southgate completely lost me when he complained about the severity of the Wembley stadium ban they were given. For as good a game he talked about the inclusivity and modern image of his squad, he could have at least allied that up by pointing the finger at the backwards elements of that team's support which seems to stand in direct contradiction to everything that he and his team stand for (or was Southgate just playing a shallow media exercise?)
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1627: Jan 30, 2022 06:54:33 pm
      Sadio in the starting lineup for Senegal today. Does that mean there was no concussion?
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #1628: Jan 30, 2022 06:57:21 pm
      Sadio in the starting lineup for Senegal today. Does that mean there was no concussion?

No way there was no concussion issue in my view. He didn't look right at all. They just play by their own rules in the afcon it seems.

I'm sure the club medical team have been involved .. so maybe they were happy for him to play. Could they or the club have stopped him playing?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1629: Jan 30, 2022 06:59:16 pm

Really shouldn't be playing in my opinion.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1630: Jan 30, 2022 07:01:13 pm
      No way there was no concussion issue in my view. He didn't look right at all. They just play by their own rules in the afcon it seems.

I'm sure the club medical team have been involved .. so maybe they were happy for him to play. Could they or the club have stopped him playing?

FIFA always sides with the international team if there is any dispute. Remember when Joel Matip had retired from international play and they still made him sit out all of our matches while this tournament played out a few years ago because of some paperwork issue?

He did seem like he got knocked Kookoo. Hopefully he comes through this OK.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #1631: Jan 30, 2022 07:01:35 pm

I doubt they have done the proper checks

Shouldn’t be playing tonight
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1632: Jan 30, 2022 07:03:52 pm
      I've said before on here that the attitudes to concussion and head injuries in football is so backward it's almost scary.

I know advances have been made but really still not enough.
      « Last Edit: Jan 30, 2022 07:32:23 pm by srslfc »

Quick Reply