Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Sadio Mané (Liverpool > Bayern Munich)

Read 272804 times
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,815 posts | 1407 
      Re: Sadio Mané Player Thread: Bayern Munich
      Reply #2116: Jun 17, 2022 04:55:06 pm
      Terrific contribution to the club.  Getting the same money back for a 30 year old as we paid for a 24 year old.  I do think we have had the best of his career at Liverpool although he will no doubt do well in the Bundesliga and might add a bit of flesh to Bayern's CL campaign - certainly next year at least.

The player had decided he was off so £35M now is clearly better than zero next summer.  I am not a fan of trying to move the Earth for players who don't want to be there.

Since Diaz came in I feel like Mane has had to be accomodated in that front three, or Diaz has had to shift about quite a bit.  Been a little bit topsy turvy.

All the best.

and he was originally moved to LW when Salah arrived after playing his entire time at Southampton as RW, if i recall correctly.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #2117: Jun 17, 2022 04:56:41 pm
      Well the only reason Nunez is here is because Mane is leaving.

Looking at our line up I would say that Luis Diaz is Mane's replacement.  Nunez more likely to be competing with Firmino for a place IMO.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #2118: Jun 17, 2022 04:58:04 pm
      Leaves a legend.

The signing that started it all under Jürgen and while I'll miss him it does feel the timing is right for all concerned.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,499 posts | 2869 
      Reply #2119: Jun 17, 2022 05:13:23 pm
      Close second to Barnes for my favourite Liverpool winger, what a few years he has given us.

Shame he didn't want to stay for a bit longer but he leaves a club legend that's for sure.
      CT_LFC

• 6,815 posts | 1407 
      Reply #2120: Jun 17, 2022 05:17:59 pm
      Looking at our line up I would say that Luis Diaz is Mane's replacement.  Nunez more likely to be competing with Firmino for a place IMO.

Agree that positionally Diaz is Mane's replacement in LW, but numbers wise Nunez would not have been bought if Mane had not asked to leave as we would be too heavy up front with 6 players all of starting quality. There just aren't enough games to keep that many players happy.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,521 posts | 3462 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2121: Jun 17, 2022 05:47:41 pm
      Probably my favourite  player at lfc over the last few years. Thanks for all the goals and great memories.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,707 posts | 7164 
      Reply #2122: Jun 17, 2022 05:58:32 pm
      Leaves a legend.

The signing that started it all under Jürgen and while I'll miss him it does feel the timing is right for all concerned.

some of us have raved about him from Day one he is the ultimate team player I hope he realised how respected and loved he is.
      I just have a bad feeling about his advisors seeing him as a money Tree but like you say he will leave as a legend.
      Harrisimo

• 8,410 posts | 1431 
      Reply #2123: Jun 17, 2022 06:12:17 pm
      Think it was for the best. Great great player for us, I wish him well. Parting now is just about right.We needed to freshen it up and he needed a new challenge.

The great front 3 of Mane, Firmino and Salah is no more. Now part of the folklore and you have to be something really special to qualify for that and Sadio Mane has achieved that status. Well deserved..Thankyou for all your efforts Sadio.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #2124: Jun 17, 2022 06:22:52 pm
      My opinion he was waiting to see how the Salah situation played out once it was clear they were not going to pay him then he figured he wasn't going to get what he wanted and jump ship (nothing wrong with that just think that is how it played out)

Interested to see how much Bayern are going to be paying him.

Either way had a amazing run with the team, did have a bit of a lull for the 12 months before the ACON but ended strongly. I was skeptical about him but he will be remembered as one of the greats and hopefully things go well for him in Germany
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,114 posts | 2131 
      Reply #2125: Jun 17, 2022 07:19:30 pm
      Probably my favourite  player at lfc over the last few years. Thanks for all the goals and great memories.

Understated and underrated.

We got the best years out of him. He leaves with unbelievable contributions - the sort Suarez and Torres could only dream of but failed to do.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,707 posts | 7164 
      Reply #2126: Jun 17, 2022 07:24:53 pm
      I fear there may have been people saying to him he is as good as Mo and deserves equal status but as someone pointed out it is probably good timing for the club as a freshen up for our frontline was due especially with Mo playing up about his own status.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,248 posts | 1226 
      Reply #2127: Jun 17, 2022 07:27:24 pm
      Wish him well. He was a true and humble warrior on the pitch, part of our fabled front three and he'll be remembered for years to come as a major part of the Klopp revolution. The thing that will always stick with me is the way he could adjust his body, in his finishing, holding it up and defending. For a diminutive player he was master at that.

I do think Bayern have done a good deal for themselves here and, whilst we could have held out for more, probably decided that leaving on good terms is also not without its merits given all he has done for the club (that and the fact he has a year left). He'll no doubt add to his trophy haul as league is basically guaranteed.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 320 posts | 81 
      Reply #2128: Jun 17, 2022 07:38:27 pm
      Tidy business, this Mane chap

Signed in 2016 for £34 mill
      LFC cashed huge Champions League prize money checks in the final 5 years of Mane's 6 year LFC stint. (guessing £350 mill combined)
      LFC will recoup £28-£35 mill
      RomaN
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts | 38 
      Reply #2129: Jun 17, 2022 08:14:47 pm
      Gutted this man won't light up Anfield again in Red.

Thanks for everything Sadio you absolute F***ing legend.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,707 posts | 7164 
      Reply #2130: Jun 17, 2022 08:23:40 pm
      he was always that missing link scoring goals when we really needed one but nothing lasts forever and we wish him well and move on.
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 887 posts | 103 
      Reply #2131: Jun 17, 2022 08:42:25 pm
      So long Sadio and thanks for all the goals, especially that last one against city .
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,271 posts | 283 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #2132: Jun 17, 2022 08:46:14 pm
      Sad to see him go but we move on as they say. Time for Diaz to carry on the good work and when he starts scoring more, I think it will be business as usual
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #2133: Jun 17, 2022 08:49:00 pm
      He's gone. Good luck, thanks.

Not arsed anymore.

On we go.......
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #2134: Jun 17, 2022 08:53:17 pm
      Agree that positionally Diaz is Mane's replacement in LW, but numbers wise Nunez would not have been bought if Mane had not asked to leave as we would be too heavy up front with 6 players all of starting quality. There just aren't enough games to keep that many players happy.

Remember the Diaz deal was set to be done around this time, only brought forward due to interest from Spurs. Diaz was Mane's replacement.

Superb player, part of that team that brought the title home so is definitely a club legend and all round boss fella.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2135: Jun 17, 2022 09:44:41 pm
      Terrific contribution to the club.  Getting the same money back for a 30 year old as we paid for a 24 year old.  I do think we have had the best of his career at Liverpool although he will no doubt do well in the Bundesliga and might add a bit of flesh to Bayern's CL campaign - certainly next year at least.

The player had decided he was off so £35M now is clearly better than zero next summer.  I am not a fan of trying to move the Earth for players who don't want to be there.

Since Diaz came in I feel like Mane has had to be accomodated in that front three, or Diaz has had to shift about quite a bit.  Been a little bit topsy turvy.

All the best.

The nature of the beast that players will move on.
      Mané has been great for the club, and vice versa.
      Won everything at the club.

Clearly players reach a point when they look for that one last big pay day.
      LFC have shown that to get that they need to move elsewhere.
      Certainly the club seems to be better at lining up the replacements
      than when Torres and Suarez left.

Part of me wishing they'd buck that pattern for at least one of the OG trio.
      That's the State Run club influence.
      City, PSG can afford to just keep the likes of Mané on and let them go at
      the end of their career, while still investing in the squad.
      Normal clubs can't afford to do that.

Thanks for everything Mané. One of the greats to have passed through Anfield.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,012 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #2136: Jun 17, 2022 10:09:54 pm
      One of my favorite players, would have liked for him to stay but if his mind is already elsewhere no point of forcing him to stay another year.

Good luck at Bayern, except if he plays against us, he'll do very well there I think.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,944 posts | 452 
      Reply #2137: Jun 17, 2022 11:05:26 pm
      Great news for the good folk of Senegal.

Thanks for the memories Sadio.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,886 posts | 6818 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2138: Jun 18, 2022 12:43:41 am
      Weird AF seeing his name in the ex players thread, bought a small tear to my eye, truth be told.  :'(

Gutted he's going, feels weird wishing him well with those tight Bayern cu*ts but he will always be our Sadio.

Can't wait till one day he puts out his autobiography and explains the real reasons he left and talks about how telling the Boys and Jürgen that he wanted out, went down. Would be fascinating reading. Obviously I wouldn't read it because I don't like to read but am sure someone will tell me what he wrote.  :D

Wonder who takes the Number 10 now!!!

Quick Reply