Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC's best ever right back?

Markus Babbel
      (5.4%)
      Chris Lawler
      (8.5%)
      Phil Neal
      (42.3%)
      Steve Nicol
      (18.5%)
      Steve Finnan
      (17.7%)
      Rob Jones
      (7.7%)

The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Right Back

Read 10613 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Right Back
      Reply #69: Jun 02, 2016 06:19:44 pm
      Was a good player, but for some reason his face didn't seem to fit. Better midfield player imo , but rarely got the chance with us.

I think it was the fact he was Scouse and played for Ireland that appealed to me! Two great characteristics  :)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #70: Jun 02, 2016 06:22:06 pm
      I think it was the fact he was Scouse and played for Ireland that appealed to me! Two great characteristics  :)

Probably why his face didn't fit...born troublemaker :)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #71: Jun 02, 2016 08:31:07 pm
      Chris Lawler scored 41 goals for Liverpool and I think Phil Neal only scored 27 including penalties. Lawler was a ghost of a player arriving in the box unnoticed.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #72: Jun 02, 2016 10:15:42 pm
      Chris Lawler scored 41 goals for Liverpool and I think Phil Neal only scored 27 including penalties. Lawler was a ghost of a player arriving in the box unnoticed.

I like ghost players, they can read the game well and somewhat intelligent. We don't have too many after the 1990. 
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #73: Jun 03, 2016 08:41:38 am
      I like ghost players, they can read the game well and somewhat intelligent. We don't have too many after the 1990. 

I think most fullbacks after 1990 all based their careers on the roadrunner.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #74: Jun 03, 2016 08:54:53 am
      Lots of great shouts above, Lawyer, Neal, Nicol, Jones, Finnan, Babbel, Arbeloa,  the magnificent 7, obviously depending  in which decade that particular player was prolific, the time span is over 50 yrs, quite incredible really, maybe I'm just getting old,

(but not as old as Skip)

I'm assuming our best LB is next, followed by the CB's, Sh*t, that's going to be interesting, I'm pondering already  :f_doh:

YNWA
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #75: Jun 04, 2016 04:01:59 am
      Massive mentions here to Lawler and Neal as many previous posts have alluded to, but they were before my time and it me be wrong to go on about and choose someone on that basis.

The stand outs that come to mind for me since I've started watching start with Stevie Nicol, what a player imo was a hard Scottish defender who could definitely play a bit and so versatile. Didn't he score a hat trick v Newcastle at one time? Remember being at Hillsborough when he scored an absolute peach of a goal from outside the box.

Then there was Rob Jones, what a talent. Could play either side even though he was more natural on the right, Evans moving him over to the left to accommodate McAteer when we starting using wing backs. It was a big shame that such a talent was cut short by injury as he really was a joy to watch for someone such as myself, who likes to view a full back firstly as a defender and secondly what he offers going forward. Would have loved him to get that illusive goal we all craved!

My selection is going to be from the above 2 but special mentions have to go to Marcus Babbel, who was excellent in the treble winning side and could well have been chosen had he been able to play for longer period. Stevie Finnan who was Mr consistant he was like Ronseal (did exactly what it said on the tin). Alvaro Arbeloa who again along the lines of Babbel if he'd stayed longer could well have forced my hand, he was consistently good in a very good team.

I also we believe we've a good un at right back in Nathaniel Clyne, I know people question what he does in the attacking third but in my opinion he'll be a solid regular for years to come.

Some list there over the last 30 years, but planning ahead and thinking who I'm playing at left back (as imo the choice is not as good) I'm giving Rob Jones the number 2 shirt. I will say though if I weren't putting Stevie Nicol in at left back (spoiler alert!!! :o) he'd have just nicked it.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #76: Jun 07, 2016 12:58:07 pm
      Phil Neal . All day. Every day
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #77: Jun 28, 2016 05:30:44 pm
      Finnan's the best I ever got to see. No nonsense defender, anything else is a bonus. Don't get them like that anymore.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #78: Jun 29, 2016 01:26:52 pm
      Neal and silent night are the obvious ones, but I went with Rob Jones, I adored him never seen a player getting the better of him, if only he scored a few goals!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #79: Jun 30, 2016 03:36:54 pm
      Neal and silent night are the obvious ones, but I went with Rob Jones, I adored him never seen a player getting the better of him, if only he scored a few goals!!

Some people would be rich :laugh:

Funny the amount of lads I used to know who loved throwing a few quid on Rob Jones scoring a goal every game!
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #80: Jul 02, 2016 03:41:15 pm
      Some people would be rich :laugh:

Funny the amount of lads I used to know who loved throwing a few quid on Rob Jones scoring a goal every game!

Rob Jones - the player who never scored for Liverpool...
      Went for Phil.
      Medellin
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      Reply #81: Jul 03, 2016 08:27:15 am
      This is closer than some give credit for,I have to go for Phil Neal tho-just pipping Lawler..just.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #82: Jul 05, 2016 01:26:03 pm
      Phil neal

Quick Reply