Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Jordon Ibe (Bournemouth)

Read 20214 times
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Re: Jordon Ibe - Bournemouth
      Reply #23: Jul 07, 2016 01:47:59 pm
      He really regressed last season but think there is a player in there.

Poor decision making in the final third means he hasn't got the goals or assists to suggest he is likely to justify game time for us.

On balance it's probably better to take the money, which is mental for his actual ability shown so far, and give time to Ojo.

My worry is we end up 18 months down the line saying the same about him.

Medellin
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      Reply #24: Jul 07, 2016 01:50:30 pm
      £15m is a fair price,shame things didn't turn out for the lad.

He's the type of player we usually keep til he's about 27 before realising he's not at our level.

I had high hopes & thought he was more of an asset than Sterling at one point!
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #25: Jul 07, 2016 02:03:03 pm
      Under rodgers he was decent but couldn't get klopps style so it put pressure on him when he had the ball!

Im not really arsed, means less competition for my beloved markovic :D
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #26: Jul 07, 2016 02:31:00 pm
      Have a soft spot for the lad but I think 15m is a good offer for him.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #27: Jul 07, 2016 02:38:21 pm
      Ibe is a talented young player but £15M is crazy money for someone so young, unproven who has just had a pretty poor season. I have sincere doubts as to whether he's ever going to make it at the very top - the place we should be aiming - though I am fairly confident he could have a decent career in the Premier League. Time will tell. Need to trust Klopp's decision on this one.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #28: Jul 07, 2016 02:41:06 pm
      Ibe seemed to pout/sulk a lot when things weren't going his way over the winter. He still got a lot of games over the course of the season, but I think Klopp is looking for a certain type of mentality along with all the technical/athletic pieces.

We'll see how negotiations go, but looks like the manager will not mess about when he determines that someone isn't in that squad of 22-25 players he wants to build for club success.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #29: Jul 07, 2016 02:43:45 pm
      I think the fact Ojo was getting more playing time the end of the season really was the writing on the wall for Ibe under Klopp and to get 15m from him is good business. I do believe he got the potential to become a solid Premiership quality player if he figures out how to read the game better (which players figure out with experience).
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #30: Jul 07, 2016 02:55:18 pm
      I think the fact Ojo was getting more playing time the end of the season really was the writing on the wall for Ibe under Klopp and to get 15m from him is good business. I do believe he got the potential to become a solid Premiership quality player if he figures out how to read the game better (which players figure out with experience).

I just think he is "mentally" a bit young and its not a criticism of him but just look at how much front players cost now and he will improve with age and experience. But if we sell him lets not get shafted.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #31: Jul 07, 2016 03:33:11 pm
      Jordon Ibe: Liverpool accept Bournemouth offer for England Under-21 winger
      By Phil McNulty

Chief football writer
      2 hours ago 
      From the section Football 
       Former Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers gave Jordon Ibe his Reds debut in 2013

Bournemouth have had a club record £15m offer for Liverpool winger Jordon Ibe accepted.

Ibe, 20, has been given permission to speak to the Cherries after a 2015-16 season that saw him make 12 Premier League starts for the Reds.

The transfer would top the reported £10m Bournemouth paid Wolves for Benik Afobe in January.

England Under-21 winger Ibe has made 58 appearances for Liverpool since signing from Wycombe Wanderers in 2011.

Ibe had been earmarked as the natural replacement at Anfield for Raheem Sterling after he made a £49m move to Manchester City last summer.

The youngster's form dipped, however, and he was not a regular under Jürgen Klopp after he succeeded Brendan Rodgers as manager.

Ibe did show a glimpse of his promise with a spectacular goal at West Bromwich Albion in Liverpool's final Premier League game of last season.
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36736430
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #32: Jul 07, 2016 03:36:41 pm
      Exactly right. Parts of that could be due to inconsistency of playing time and just the pressures of being at a huge club at such a young age. The same walls that Benteke hit in my opinion. Which is why I think he could put up some better numbers and performances at a club like Bournemouth. Price is just very inflated to me, would be tough to turn down. Especially when we could potentially turn that around and get Blaszczykowski to perform the same role (backup winger for Mane/Couts/Firmino) for a third of the price who would do a proven better job than Ibe's been doing.

Wouldn't Ojo and Markovic serve as backup wingers, with the funds going toward buying at other positions?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #33: Jul 07, 2016 03:39:56 pm
      I think Ibe will make a player I really do. I'd have gone with a season long loan rather than a sale myself, but we'll know within 18 months whether or not taking the 15 mill was a good move.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #34: Jul 07, 2016 03:45:27 pm
      I think Ibe will make a player I really do. I'd have gone with a season long loan rather than a sale myself, but we'll know within 18 months whether or not taking the 15 mill was a good move.

A lot of young players stall in their development, even Gerrard did, so seems a little hasty, but maybe he hasn't helped himself at times?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #35: Jul 07, 2016 03:50:08 pm
      Seems to be another one to add to the numerous English wingers who are hyped, have pace, can run past players but simply has no brain. See Wright Phillips, Aaron Lennon, Sterling et al. Along with Skrtel he was the only one who looked utterly feckless and refused to engage with the progression Klopp had got the rest of the squad onto. Got a couple of lashings from the sidelines for not doing his running either.

Basically swapping Mane for this guy - all for value of a net 15m spend when both deals are concluded.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #36: Jul 07, 2016 03:50:38 pm
      Few tools short of a shed in his head. He could develop into something better than he is but he hasn't shown enough to be playing over our other options.

Good luck to him if he accepts.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #37: Jul 07, 2016 03:51:20 pm
      EDIT In the child like rush to start a thread like the sad little bell whiffer that I am I've spelt his name wrong. I've edited my original post but it seems to still be wrong in the replies if a kind mod can sort it for me please.

Don't blame yourself - blame his parents.

Anyway, £15M!!! Seems there was some logic to giving him a 5 year deal last May after all!!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #38: Jul 07, 2016 03:53:41 pm
      A lot of young players stall in their development, even Gerrard did, so seems a little hasty, but maybe he hasn't helped himself at times?

My first LFC game in person, Gerrard came on for McManaman when the latter was injured, at about 25 minutes. He was so ineffective, Houllier subbed him out at the break for David Thompson!

I remember wondering what that meant for his future.  ;D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #39: Jul 07, 2016 03:53:46 pm
      Jordan will probably benefit playing for a team who don't face parked buses and packed defenses like we do.  It'll give him more freedom to play his natural game but for me he hasn't developed much since I saw him as a 15 year old. 

He's stronger than he was but that's about it.

He'll do well away from Liverpool but he lacks the intelligence to be anywhere near the top bracket.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #40: Jul 07, 2016 03:58:21 pm
      Have a soft spot for the lad but I think 15m is a good offer for him.

The same for me.
      It's a shame as I really thought he was going to progress to be better than Sterling.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #41: Jul 07, 2016 04:04:09 pm

I think he'll improve at Bournemouth.  But on the basis of his Liverpool career to date £15M is better than paying half his wages for him to go on loan next year.  Can't see how he would have had many opportunities in the year ahead at Anfield.

Just didn't take enough of his opportunities with us and he had plenty.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #42: Jul 07, 2016 04:04:57 pm
      My first LFC game in person, Gerrard came on for McManaman when the latter was injured, at about 25 minutes. He was so ineffective, Houllier subbed him out at the break for David Thompson!

I remember wondering what that meant for his future.  ;D

Yeah, I had high hopes for Gerrard once too , I wonder whatever happened to him? :)
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #43: Jul 07, 2016 04:08:26 pm
      Yeah, I had high hopes for Gerrard once too , I wonder whatever happened to him? :)

Turns out he plays over here now. But that game was 18 years ago so he must have been playing somewhere in between... :f_tongueincheek:
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #44: Jul 07, 2016 04:20:57 pm
      Good business for us, if he makes into a worldy, then that's our misfortune, don't think he will mind. Ibe, reminds me of Heskey, showed promise but never hit the heights.
      Jürgen obviously thinks he knows best, so onwards and upwards.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #45: Jul 07, 2016 04:58:14 pm
      I just think he is "mentally" a bit young and its not a criticism of him but just look at how much front players cost now and he will improve with age and experience. But if we sell him lets not get shafted.

I believe 15m is a more than fair price for a young player who only played 1 full season in the senior level but I get what your saying if he does transfer then has a couple good years the way the market is for young attacking English player his value would at the minimum double. I even believe for himself as a player he would be better off leaving Liverpool and get more playing time with Bournemouth. If the reports are true I think it is a better move for both parties as could use the cash to improve the squad elsewhere

Quick Reply