Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Jordon Ibe (Bournemouth)

Read 20328 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Re: Jordon Ibe - Bournemouth
      Reply #46: Jul 07, 2016 05:16:04 pm
      I think this is a mistake but time will tell.

I don't Mick.

After last season I struggle to see him making it with us.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #47: Jul 07, 2016 06:08:53 pm
      Ojo is already a better player so I don't think we'll miss Jordon at all.

Best of luck to the lad though.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #48: Jul 07, 2016 06:11:29 pm
      I think Ibe will make a player I really do. I'd have gone with a season long loan rather than a sale myself, but we'll know within 18 months whether or not taking the 15 mill was a good move.

It's a tough one.  15M is a lot for a young lad whose done next to nothing of note at the top level.  However, a fruitful year and he could be worth double that in 12 months....

I remember a couple seasons back -- Gerrard made a comment about Ibe after one of the preseason games.  He said something along the lines of:  "We've got a future superstar in Jordon Ibe -- he has it all in his locker and has the right attitude to boot."

Now, he may have just been saying this to build confidence in a young player.  Alternatively, he may have been saying it to put pressure on Raheem and let him know he still has to keep working to stay ahead of the chasing pack.  In either case, I don't think he'd have said anything if he didn't really believe that Ibe had the potential to become a very good player. 

I guess this comes down to Jürgen and whether he thinks Ibe has the application and work ethic to do the job he wants him to do.  Considering he was dropped for Ojo in the latter stages of the season, I'd imagine Jürgen isn't too fussed about losing him so 15M is a good deal at the moment.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #49: Jul 07, 2016 06:22:52 pm
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #50: Jul 07, 2016 06:33:39 pm

Honestly think the gaffer while not negotiating individual deals or getting into the minutia of the business side now runs roughshod over the entire club.

I understand this new "walk of legends" that people can purchase pavers and will have benches with statues of LFC legends sitting on them was his idea..if that is truly the case and the ideas of Ibe for 15 million w/buyback and staying firm on Benteke really shows that his sphere of influence at the club is massive.

Happy myself to see it.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #51: Jul 07, 2016 06:35:16 pm
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #52: Jul 07, 2016 07:52:16 pm

It's F***ing boss mate.  I'm loving our new attitude to players in and out but no idea who or where it's come from.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #53: Jul 07, 2016 07:54:25 pm
      It's F***ing boss mate.  I'm loving our new attitude to players in and out but no idea who or where it's come from.

It does seem so random doesn't it but it makes so much sense when you're selling on players that the club helped to develop through the academy. 
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #54: Jul 07, 2016 08:04:19 pm
      Ultimately he hasn't proved good enough and looked out of his depth since Klopp has taken over, he was also looking very inconsistent under Rodgers. Potential to be a good player but £15mill whilst taking possible advantage of either buying him back or getting a sell on percentage is far too good to turn down for a player that doesn't seem to be developing at the rate we hoped he would.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #55: Jul 07, 2016 08:13:48 pm
      I was surprised when I heard this news, but the more I think about it I'm not.

£15m is a fair price, but it is interesting that only Bournemouth have come in for him.

I wonder if Celtic & Rodgers are interested, but the £15m price is too high for them.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #56: Jul 07, 2016 08:49:28 pm
      It does seem so random doesn't it but it makes so much sense when you're selling on players that the club helped to develop through the academy. 

When you think how much the scum used to get for their squaddies with a few 1st team games to their name mate it's about time we did the same.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #57: Jul 07, 2016 08:58:53 pm
      Great transfer for all parties.

We get a, for a player of his age and with the season he has had, generous fee. Great to see they have included the sell-on and buy-back clauses. I too think there is a player in him somewhere.

Bournemouth get a young, talented and English player to go with the likes of Wilson, Gradel, King, ... Some serious pace up front there.

And Ibe gets to work under Eddie Howe, a good, ambitious, young manager. Bournemouth played some decent footie last season. It's going to be interesting to see how he develops, could be a very important season for his further career, though he is still a young lad.

I quite like how we are going on about our outgoing transfer business. Getting some nice fees (if the numbers and transfers talked about in the media are anything to go by) for players who obviously aren't up to the level required for Liverpool and we are finale streamlining our way too big squad. Let's hope they reinvest the money we get in first team starters and not just place for place replacements.
      « Last Edit: Jul 07, 2016 09:16:48 pm by Danzel »
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #58: Jul 07, 2016 10:31:20 pm
      I think Ojo has already moved ahead of him in the pecking order. With Mane coming in would Ibe really have gotten any minutes with us?

I can understand those saying we might have loaned him out instead but if we've put a buy-back clause in then I've no problem with letting him go. I think he stalled terribly this season after looking promising when Jürgen joined. It seemed to me his decision making improved for a very brief period and then he went back to running blind alleys.

He has the attributes but I just don't think the brain is anywhere near developed enough in young Jordon and I'd wish him well.

Plenty of people were saying that Ibe had moved past Sterling this time last year so it'll be interesting to see everyone's take on Ojo in a years time. I think we'll regret this one, it would be a year long loan for me too, all day long. This kid has bags of ability, doesn't always make the right decisions and his confidence has been shot to pieces for some time now but I would have persevered for another season or so. We're not exactly blessed I. The pace department so if he goes there had better be a replacement lined up.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #59: Jul 07, 2016 10:52:33 pm
      Plenty of people were saying that Ibe had moved past Sterling this time last year so it'll be interesting to see everyone's take on Ojo in a years time. I think we'll regret this one, it would be a year long loan for me too, all day long. This kid has bags of ability, doesn't always make the right decisions and his confidence has been shot to pieces for some time now but I would have persevered for another season or so. We're not exactly blessed I. The pace department so if he goes there had better be a replacement lined up.

Markovic.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #60: Jul 07, 2016 11:16:46 pm
      ^^ ... personally don't think hes suited to PL. Has no pace or physical aggression. That swanky style of play only work with time on the ball, unless your world class and can make the space. Similair reason why i think Lallana is OK as a squad player, but wont bring us the league.

Agree would have been good to loan Ibe, I have a lot more faith in Ojo though. Best of luck to him, 15MM is a fair price for an unproven talent.

KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #61: Jul 07, 2016 11:22:42 pm

I'm as critical of our transfer business as anyone, but I think this is a positive thing to see.

It seems to be a pragmatic way to approach our young players. We've loaned plenty out and seen many leave for free as they didn't want to be tied to us when not playing or likely to play.

This way we can be fair to players who aren't likely to play but protect ourselves going forward in the event someone really kicks on.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #62: Jul 07, 2016 11:34:52 pm

I don't know what that was based on because he didn't look as good as Sterling and he definitely didn't have the production to match. With Ojo though, he's not scared to run with the ball, he runs past people, he's got a good cross on him and his production in the league is better per game than Ibe's is (last season anyway).

It's going to take a year or so being properly embedded into the first team though for Ojo to become fully settled but Ibe has been for a couple of years but hasn't improved. He's only 20 so if he does come good then we can bring him back, as long as the buy back fee isn't outrageous.

It's one of those deals that is good for all parties, us, Ibe and Bournemouth.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #63: Jul 08, 2016 12:09:39 am
      I'd take the money to be honest...£15 million is a very good offer for Ibe..
      Garett
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 377 posts |
      Reply #64: Jul 08, 2016 12:36:45 am
      I'd take the money to be honest...£15 million is a very good offer for Ibe..

only if we can get coric
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #65: Jul 08, 2016 12:56:30 am

No thanks. Would rather the Ibe money go towards an establish midfielder & full back.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #66: Jul 08, 2016 03:45:59 am
      No thanks. Would rather the Ibe money go towards an establish midfielder & full back.

Me too. We need some class in midfield - the Gundogan type of class not the Ibe type. We also need 1 more good/great fullback. I don't know if Gomez is going to kick on. I think Flanagan is good, but he is a defensive fullback, we need to get out at the back. I wish Flanagan had Moreno's pace. I think it was good for us Can started for Germany against France, unfortunate they lost though.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #67: Jul 08, 2016 04:34:30 am
      15m for ibe is just so good
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #68: Jul 08, 2016 09:30:56 am
      Agree.

Puts current market and fees in some sort of perspective.  How does it make Mane's fee look?

Quick Reply