Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Ovie Ejaria (Liverpool -> Reading)

Read 44981 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Re: Ovie Ejaria
      Reply #46: Jul 28, 2016 06:25:45 pm
      No interest dropped from my end mate he was by far our stand out player against Chelsea. He looked like he could really play a few notches higher too. I mean that in terms of his team-mates dropping to a slower pace. I think he's got the brain for it and the ability looks there to match, very exciting young player this.

The one moment in the first half when he got away from the Chelsea midfielder and waltzed past 2 or 3 Chelsea players with excellent close footwork and control showed he can do that at a higher level.

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,537 posts | 2126 
      Re: Ovie Ejaria Player Thread
      Reply #47: Jul 28, 2016 07:34:10 pm
      No drop in interest from me that's for sure, I didn't see the game but the first thing I did when I got home from work today was jump onto YouTube and type in Ejaria vs Chelsea (see below). By far the most exciting thing about our pre-season thus far. Telling that he appears to be the only Academy youngster to get a start in this one? I frickin hope that Jürgen is considering using the lad from the outset this season. I wouldn't be sending him back to the Academy to play under 21s, this kid needs to go right into the squad. Love the way he ghosts past players.

He will need to cut out the silly drag backs and tricks when he is receiving the ball under pressure as the deepest lying midfielder as he did at one point in this game, particularly when things are more frenetic in a real game BUT he is incredibly promising and has been the standout player of our pre-season so far. I'm eager to see if the lad has a shot on him, I'd like to see him swing the boot at a couple.

https://youtu.be/K_RxhUuHKFQ

Scottbot

• 9,537 posts | 2126 
      Reply #48: Jul 29, 2016 01:41:50 pm
      Bump again -  the interest in poor Ovie has certainly dropped a lot

It has, I am so excited by this kid, I'm surprised he isn't getting more of a mention. If we had just signed this lad in the summer I am certain he would be getting a lot more attention
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #49: Jul 29, 2016 04:01:09 pm
      It has, I am so excited by this kid, I'm surprised he isn't getting more of a mention. If we had just signed this lad in the summer I am certain he would be getting a lot more attention

I think everyone's pretty wary about getting overly excited about our younger guys. A good majority of players this age, and even older for us (up to 23), have collapsed for us after showing preseasons as good or even better than Ejaria has shown this far.

Suso, Joao Carlos Teixeira, Rossiter, Conor Coady, Robinson, Pacheco, etc...

Not many have actually made it through recently, especially considering how excited we've all gotten for some of these guys who rarely even get more than a few chances in actual meaningful games before they're shipped off. Tough to generate any real sustainable excitement about it anymore over them, for me at least.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #50: Jul 29, 2016 05:24:32 pm
      It's not so much that interest has dropped but people have to be realistic about the situation. We currently play a 4-2-3-1 and there are 5 or 6 players in front of him in the pecking order. I don't expect him to get an awful lot of game time in the first team this season. Of course he'll be in and around the first team squad for training and stuff but IMO he should be in the under-21's for games.

He still has developing to do and the only way for him to develop is to take what he's learnt with the first team into regular game situations. It's not as though there's any rush to force him into the first team. If it happens then it happens but if not then it certainly won't do him any harm.

Edit: I forgot to add that in the Echo it's said that the Nigeria manager is looking to give him an international call up in September should Ejaria decide to commit to Nigeria over England.
      Scottbot

• 9,537 posts | 2126 
      Reply #51: Jul 30, 2016 09:18:33 pm
      I think everyone's pretty wary about getting overly excited about our younger guys. A good majority of players this age, and even older for us (up to 23), have collapsed for us after showing preseasons as good or even better than Ejaria has shown this far.

Suso, Joao Carlos Teixeira, Rossiter, Conor Coady, Robinson, Pacheco, etc...

Not many have actually made it through recently, especially considering how excited we've all gotten for some of these guys who rarely even get more than a few chances in actual meaningful games before they're shipped off. Tough to generate any real sustainable excitement about it anymore over them, for me at least.

It's a good point, I was pretty excited about Suso when he was coming through the youth ranks and I still think Rossiter has a lot of promise. I can't say I got too excited about the others. I'd forgotten all about Jack Robinson! I think this kid can be better than the lot of them though.

It's not so much that interest has dropped but people have to be realistic about the situation. We currently play a 4-2-3-1 and there are 5 or 6 players in front of him in the pecking order. I don't expect him to get an awful lot of game time in the first team this season. Of course he'll be in and around the first team squad for training and stuff but IMO he should be in the under-21's for games.

If the likes of Henderson, Can and Milner trot out the 6/10 & 7/10 performances that we have seen for the past two seasons I would have no problem throwing this lad in to see what he can do. I guess it will all depend on what Jürgen thinks of his centre midfield.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #52: Jul 30, 2016 09:51:20 pm
      and around the first team squad for training and stuff but IMO he should be in the under-21's for games.

He still has developing to do and the only way for him to develop is to take what he's learnt with the first team into regular game situations. It's not as though there's any rush to force him into the first team. If it happens then it happens but if not then it certainly won't do him any harm.

Edit: I forgot to add that in the Echo it's said that the Nigeria manager is looking to give him an international call up in September should Ejaria decide to commit to Nigeria over England.

And at the first sign of a bad performance he'll be jumped on, chewed up and spat back out by those that have zero patience. It happened with the likes of Chirivella & at times Stewart last season. 

There's seriously no rush to force him into the team. He's played well in a few friendlies, people need to calm their sh*t down :D.
      Scottbot

• 9,537 posts | 2126 
      Reply #53: Jul 30, 2016 10:02:28 pm
      And at the first sign of a bad performance he'll be jumped on, chewed up and spat back out by those that have zero patience. It happened with the likes of Chirivella & at times Stewart last season. 

There's seriously no rush to force him into the team. He's played well in a few friendlies, people need to calm their sh*t down :D.

Hey it's a game of opinions, our midfield is incredibly average and this kid looks a real talent. Kevin Stewart got jumped on because he is a million miles from being good enough. With a bit of luck Wjinaldum will prove to be the answer but if not I really like what Ejaria brings to the table.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #54: Jul 30, 2016 10:26:41 pm

I agree, there is no rush to force him into the team, and people who are excited about him do need to calm their sh*t down (people like me), but who can blame us with the amount of technical mediocrity we have seen in our midfield for the last few seasons? :p

I'm with Scottbot on this, I think this kid looks fantastic, technically very good, composed and for an 18 yr old, has a good build. I'm f**king excited and want to see him given a lot of game time, nurturing him into professional football and embedded into the team as quick as possible :D

Him and Wjinaldum will be a breath of fresh air in the midfield, can't wait!
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,314 posts | 1610 
      Reply #55: Jul 31, 2016 01:59:35 am

Do you mean the same way we calmed it down when Stevie broke through ,fck all wrong being excited about the next star lets just hope he is .
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #56: Jul 31, 2016 11:36:26 am
      I get that people are excited by what Ovie has shown recently but seriously folks, he barely bossed it at u18s level last season and is still to establish himself in the u21s now 23s. 

Players at this age can have huge jumps in development from nowhere, then seemingly fail to maintain it, never mind continue that development curve.  Leave him be to come to terms with what he's done before pushing him to a level he's not yet ready or mentally prepared for.

I'm absolutely positive that when and if Jürgen thinks it's time for him to play at senior level, he'll play and there's no point putting unnecessary pressure on him to be the answer to all our midfield woes at 18 years of age.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #57: Jul 31, 2016 11:51:32 am
      Do you mean the same way we calmed it down when Stevie broke through ,fck all wrong being excited about the next star lets just hope he is .

Did I say there was anything wrong? After 2 pre-season performances Fed was saying how he should be our starting CM, that's the sh*t we need to avoid. A fair number of fans these days can't seem to be excited and realistic at the same time. All you ever see is how they're going to be the next this or that after 1 game. There were people seriously comparing him to F***ing Pogba!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #58: Jul 31, 2016 11:52:44 am
      I get that people are excited by what Ovie has shown recently but seriously folks, he barely bossed it at u18s level last season and is still to establish himself in the u21s now 23s. 

Players at this age can have huge jumps in development from nowhere, then seemingly fail to maintain it, never mind continue that development curve.  Leave him be to come to terms with what he's done before pushing him to a level he's not yet ready or mentally prepared for.

I'm absolutely positive that when and if Jürgen thinks it's time for him to play at senior level, he'll play and there's no point putting unnecessary pressure on him to be the answer to all our midfield woes at 18 years of age.

Yeah that's all true and I do get the feeling that Ovie may only get the odd appearance in the league cup to begin with but.....

He's bloody good though isn't he??!!??!! When's he starting??!!??!! :D
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,465 posts | 4815 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #59: Jul 31, 2016 12:01:47 pm
      Worth reading the Pep Ljinders  (probably wrong spelling) interview that Danzel (possibly wrong spelling again :) ) put up yesterday in his thread.

Some interesting stuff regarding Ovie.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #60: Jul 31, 2016 12:03:00 pm
      Yeah that's all true and I do get the feeling that Ovie may only get the odd appearance in the league cup to begin with but.....

He's bloody good though isn't he??!!??!! When's he starting??!!??!! :D

I agree mate but think about this for one second - there's a reason he didn't have his own player thread until he played that 1st pre season game, that reason being that he'd failed ever to play well enough or consistently enough at Youth level to warrant one.

He's come from nowhere, a bit like Rashford for the scum.  He was never one to be raved over as one for the future and he could very easily disappear again just as quickly. 

He has plenty of time on his side, there really is no need to put him in spotlight of the PL before he's come to terms with the jump in quality he's just delivered.

He will get games or at least minutes if he continues at that level or better in training and with the u23s but fan expectation can kill him at this stage.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #61: Jul 31, 2016 12:19:04 pm
      I remember Fabregas breaking into the Arsenal first time at the age of 16 and staying there until his move away.

If a player is genuinly good enough, they should be involved around the first team, no matter their age. Would love to see Ejaria start the cup games and the odd first team game too - maybe more if the other midfielders slack.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,314 posts | 1610 
      Reply #62: Jul 31, 2016 12:28:35 pm
      Did I say there was anything wrong? After 2 pre-season performances Fed was saying how he should be our starting CM, that's the sh*t we need to avoid. A fair number of fans these days can't seem to be excited and realistic at the same time. All you ever see is how they're going to be the next this or that after 1 game. There were people seriously comparing him to F***ing Pogba!

Agree with that there is a fine line between  getting excited about a player and going completely over the top , I do thing klopp will give him game time and let him develop into the player we all hope he can be .
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #63: Jul 31, 2016 05:26:12 pm
      I agree mate but think about this for one second - there's a reason he didn't have his own player thread until he played that 1st pre season game, that reason being that he'd failed ever to play well enough or consistently enough at Youth level to warrant one.

He's come from nowhere, a bit like Rashford for the scum.  He was never one to be raved over as one for the future and he could very easily disappear again just as quickly. 

He has plenty of time on his side, there really is no need to put him in spotlight of the PL before he's come to terms with the jump in quality he's just delivered.

He will get games or at least minutes if he continues at that level or better in training and with the u23s but fan expectation can kill him at this stage.

For all my joking above Debs I honestly 100% agree with you and as for your knowledge of our youth footy I take your word as gospel.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #64: Jul 31, 2016 06:16:49 pm
      For all my joking above Debs I honestly 100% agree with you and as for your knowledge of our youth footy I take your word as gospel.

Well he surprised me mate so that shows how much I know  :D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #65: Jul 31, 2016 07:59:59 pm
      I'd like to see him given games by Klopp and hopefully gear him slowly up for  next season, if trained and taught well he could be a wonderful player for us.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #66: Aug 01, 2016 11:30:29 am
      Scottbot

• 9,537 posts | 2126 
      Reply #67: Sep 21, 2016 06:32:02 am
      Chuffed to see Ovie get his competitive debut for LFC last night following his promotion to the bench for the Chelsea game. This kid is too good not to force his way into the managers thinking this season
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #68: Oct 08, 2016 04:11:20 pm
      Got an assist on his England u20s debut in the 3-1 defeat of Germany.

Quick Reply