Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who do you think will be the Euro '16 Winners?

Portugal
      2 (9.5%)
      France
      19 (90.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Euro 2016: The Final

Read 37133 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Re: Euro 2016: The Final
      Reply #161: Jul 11, 2016 12:29:49 am
      Every 12 years a sh*t team is supposed to win this competition so congratulations Portugal!

Where does that leave England if Portugal are sh*te?.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #162: Jul 11, 2016 12:36:48 am
      Bit like what we are doing with Can imo, but I could be wrong, could turn out to be a beast of a DM :p

Maybe but Pogba offers so much going forward. Unfortunately most of it fell to Matuidi and Sissoko. Sissoko was great tonight but his game is summed up in the moment when he broke from midfield in the second half, beat a couple and laid a ball on for Griezman who would have in the 18 on a slight angle, but free. He overhit the vital pass nay smashed it. I reckon (and I have been known to be wrong) that Deschamps values Pogbas talent at not coffing the ball up at the wrong time and France concede, more than he does Sissoko overhitting the final pass. I always think you need to be able to score. I got the impression France would struggle against a well organised team when pressure is on. I don't overly rate Portugal either but their game plan was obvious and they counterattack usually anyway. France took the mantle of team to take control and they aren't that capable. I don't want ot read too much into the result. I do think though it bodes well for us that we have a manager who realises the importance of scoring in football or at least carrying a goal threat. I do think though the pressure of a tournament held very four years can be telling. Luck always plays its part.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #163: Jul 11, 2016 03:02:56 am
      Portugal had the lead for 73 minutes in the entire tournament.

Ridiculous :D
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #164: Jul 11, 2016 03:20:22 am
      Portugal had the lead for 73 minutes in the entire tournament.

Ridiculous :D

Definitely but that's what makes tournaments so good. It can really suck!
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #165: Jul 11, 2016 03:22:55 am
      Where does that leave England if Portugal are sh*te?.

sh*te sh*te  team?

>:(

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #166: Jul 11, 2016 03:25:17 am
      so now you like both Everton and Utd

It was only a suggestion of a website where you may be able to find some like-minded bitter people. ;D
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #167: Jul 11, 2016 04:41:15 am
      100m for Paul F***ing Pogba what a joke.

Football has gone mad.

I can't remember overall a worse major international tournament in terms of quality of football played. F***ing dire the new format encouraged a lot of anti football allowing sub standard teams to take a page out of Ranier's blue print, sit back absorb pressure and hit teams on counter.

Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #168: Jul 11, 2016 08:05:14 am
      Crazy how many surprise results there were towards the end. Germany beating Italy, France beating Germany and Portugal beating France.

Still a f**king awful tournament though.

And over the last 6 months England beat France, Germany and Portugal. Only friendlies but still...
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #169: Jul 11, 2016 09:09:19 am
      And over the last 6 months England beat France, Germany and Portugal. Only friendlies but still...

maybe we should tell the players all games are friendlies.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #170: Jul 11, 2016 09:37:30 am
      I can't remember overall a worse major international tournament in terms of quality of football played. F***ing dire the new format encouraged a lot of anti football allowing sub standard teams to take a page out of Ranier's blue print, sit back absorb pressure and hit teams on counter.

I like having more teams.  I think a European Championships should have more than 16 teams - we must send about that many to the World Cup so it makes sense for the UEFA tournament to give an opportunity for more sides.

But 4 out of the 6 third placed teams going through wasn't good for the tournament. 

Group games take up the bulk of a tournament so they should be the most exciting so should be protected.

Not sure what the answer is.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #171: Jul 11, 2016 09:57:04 am
      Was a classic case of teams playing to not lose rather than playing to win. Every team was too scared to try and do anything.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #172: Jul 11, 2016 11:04:29 am
      Ronaldo - has this look and demeanour about him that I find very hard to like but like him or loathe him when conversations about the greatest players of all time come up he will be in them all.

Portugal were boring and scraped through the groups before then scraping their way through to the final. Thing is, though, they managed  to get there by doing enough with what they had. If they'd gone all out for the entertainment factor they wouldn't have got through, no way. They done what they had to do with what they had and they've won it so hats off.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #173: Jul 11, 2016 12:09:45 pm
      As I said as was in work all day yesterday. Got home without knowing the score, and then watched the match.

Sigh!

13 hours of slog, and this was not a the game I wanted to come home to.

I agree with 7KK7, the teams were more interested in not losing than winning, what a shame, the pinnacle of this competition, and negativity was the winner.

Ronaldo, what a tart, crying when he's gets a boo-boo on his knee, how old is this 'man'. I did not watch the celebrations, TBH what was the point, can't complain about Portugal winning, as France did very little to warrant a win.

What a huge shame, when the winner only won one game in 90 mins.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #174: Jul 11, 2016 12:29:15 pm
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #175: Jul 11, 2016 04:29:40 pm
      There's a report on Sky Sports titled: "Portugal win Euro 2016: Fernando Santos’s men are worthy winners"

I thought it couldn't be no more than 5 lines long, surely. Adam Bate has surprised me and has somehow managed to stretch it out to about 55 :D.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #177: Jul 11, 2016 07:05:16 pm

The funniest is the history of this bus, owned by a company renting imperial bus for events.

According to Ouest France, before being loaned to French Federation this bus was first to be used by Stade Rennais when they were in a French League Cup final in 2013 and painted at their colors. Rennes lost the final and the bus stayed at the garage.
      They loaned the bus again in 2014 when they were again in French Cup final, painted it again, and lost again.
      And the third time the bus was to be used by a football team, it was yesterday for France...
      Cursed bus.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #178: Jul 12, 2016 05:32:38 am
      The funniest is the history of this bus, owned by a company renting imperial bus for events.

According to Ouest France, before being loaned to French Federation this bus was first to be used by Stade Rennais when they were in a French League Cup final in 2013 and painted at their colors. Rennes lost the final and the bus stayed at the garage.
      They loaned the bus again in 2014 when they were again in French Cup final, painted it again, and lost again.
      And the third time the bus was to be used by a football team, it was yesterday for France...
      Cursed bus.

:D ;D :lmao: :mad:
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #179: Jul 12, 2016 05:38:14 pm
      For all of the criticism of Portgual, Pepe and Eder were fantastic in the final.

Quick Reply