Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Ben Woodburn > PNE

Read 67181 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Benjamin Woodburn Player Thread
      Reply #138: Sep 03, 2017 11:55:23 am
      So f**king what you miserable sh*t.

Anyways...

Cracking goal from the lad & he us all ours :)
      not being miserable, but playing for Wales doesn't change his main nationality. He will always have English parents and born in England no matter who he plays for.

If Wales became independent he would not need a visa to live in England, but if he wanted to  live in Wales, he probably would have to go down the ancestral route.

Great player for Liverpool, but I can't help but think he'll regret his choice in the summer when Watching England on TV. Wales are unlikely to qualify this time.
      « Last Edit: Sep 03, 2017 12:00:19 pm by Ribapuru »
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #139: Sep 03, 2017 12:30:19 pm
      not being miserable, but playing for Wales doesn't change his main nationality. He will always have English parents and born in England no matter who he plays for.

If Wales became independent he would not need a visa to live in England, but if he wanted to  live in Wales, he probably would have to go down the ancestral route.

Great player for Liverpool, but I can't help but think he'll regret his choice in the summer when Watching England on TV. Wales are unlikely to qualify this time.

Oh ffs lighten up, the lad has chosen to play for wales so respect his wishes, what do you want to do?, stick him in the tower of London and execute him for treason
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #140: Sep 03, 2017 12:36:09 pm

What on earth are you talking about? He's going to regret not playing for a team that got knocked out by ICELAND in the Euros last year? He's going to regret playing for a team that is the butt of everyone's jokes EVERY two years?

Yeah f**king right. I'd rather seek the right to play for North Korea ahead of those embarrassing fucks.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #141: Sep 03, 2017 01:20:24 pm
      Yeah f**king right. I'd rather seek the right to play for North Korea ahead of those embarrassing fucks.
      If you truly mean that you would rather play for North Korea then you are a disturbed person. Personally I think you are talking nonsense.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #142: Sep 03, 2017 01:25:18 pm
      Oh ffs lighten up, the lad has chosen to play for wales so respect his wishes, what do you want to do?, stick him in the tower of London and execute him for treason
      Well, I want him to do well at Liverpool, but I am disappointed he is now fully binded to Wales. Until yesterday he still had the option to change his mind. I hope Wales don't qualify for anything whilst he is in the team.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #143: Sep 03, 2017 01:41:00 pm
      Chester actually.

Born in Chester, Woodburn was raised in Tattenhall, Cheshire

I looked on Wikipedia.
      « Last Edit: Sep 03, 2017 01:46:37 pm by Ribapuru »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Reply #144: Sep 03, 2017 01:59:40 pm
      Well, I want him to do well at Liverpool, but I am disappointed he is now fully binded to Wales. Until yesterday he still had the option to change his mind. I hope Wales don't qualify for anything whilst he is in the team.

I honestly can't work out if you're just fishing with half your posts Ribs or not.

Nationality is a very personal thing and not something I feel remotely inclined to preach or posture as regards others.

I - for example - am proudly Scottish of Irish heritage. All my grandparents were Irish. I have a British passport......but I don't feel British and don't wish to be considered such. When I'm asked my ethnicity on a survey I say "White Irish".

In the wake of the Brexit fallout I'm in the process of applying / obtaining an Irish passport - which I'm entitled to do. It won't actually make me Irish any more than the one I currently hold makes me
      British.......but I'll be a damned sight more comfortable with than the one I currently hold (in lieu of Scottish Independence).

The lad clearly feels Welsh, has been raised as such and is 100% qualified to represent them. Whilst you are entitled to your opinion.......your judgement of his choice is wholly irrelevant.

I believe he'll be a star for Liverpool and Wales for years to come.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #145: Sep 03, 2017 02:10:43 pm
      I honestly can't work out if you're just fishing with half your posts Ribs or not.

Nationality is a very personal thing and not something I feel remotely inclined to preach or posture as regards others.

I - for example - am proudly Scottish of Irish heritage. All my grandparents were Irish. I have a British passport......but I don't feel British and don't wish to be considered such. When I'm asked my ethnicity on a survey I say "White Irish".

In the wake of the Brexit fallout I'm in the process of applying / obtaining an Irish passport - which I'm entitled to do. It won't actually make me Irish any more than the one I currently hold makes me
      British.......but I'll be a damned sight more comfortable with than the one I currently hold (in lieu of Scottish Independence).

The lad clearly feels Welsh, has been raised as such and is 100% qualified to represent them. Whilst you are entitled to your opinion.......your judgement of his choice is wholly irrelevant.

I believe he'll be a star for Liverpool and Wales for years to come.
      Not fishing at all, do I need to keep my disappointment he didn't choose England a secret? was not aware I had to do that.
      As for the nationality thing, you miss my point. There is a clear difference between nationality and who a footballer can represent.
      I am 25% Irish, I can apply for an Irish passport. My birth certificate will still say British, every form I fill in will be rejected if I write Irish as they will see it is a mistake or suspect fraud. No one will be able to change his nationality but one can have different citizenship. If I were a footballer, I could play for Ireland but I would always be British even if I didn't like it. These are rules set up by governments. Don't get me into that debate, it would require another thread and I have a lot of information on it with having to assist people with visas in the past.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Reply #146: Sep 03, 2017 02:12:19 pm
      Not fishing at all, do I need to keep my disappointment he didn't choose England a secret? was not aware I had to do that.
      As for the nationality thing, you miss my point. There is a clear difference between nationality and who a footballer can represent.
      I am 25% Irish, I can apply for an Irish passport. My birth certificate will still say British, every form I fill in will be rejected if I write Irish as they will see it is a mistake or suspect fraud. No one will be able to change his nationality but one can have different citizenship. If I were a footballer, I could play for Ireland but I would always be British even if I didn't like it. These are rules set up by governments. Don't get me into that debate, it would require another thread and I have a lot of information on it with having to assist people with visas in the past.

Aye ok  :lmao:
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #147: Sep 03, 2017 02:15:50 pm
      Also, I should have put their nationality when I wrote "No one will be able to change his nationality but one can have different citizenship" That was copied and pasted from somewhere and I didn't spot that.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Reply #148: Sep 03, 2017 02:18:18 pm
      Also, I should have put their nationality when I wrote "No one will be able to change his nationality but one can have different citizenship" That was copied and pasted from somewhere and I didn't spot that.

As above 👍
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #149: Sep 03, 2017 04:34:13 pm

Why would he regret choosing playing for Wales after watching England on TV. As for Wales being unlikely to qualify this time, they've got plenty in the tank left yet to qualify. I'm a proud Welsh man and we don't have a big pool of players to choose from so a young talent like Ben picking Wales over England is a bonus for us. As for him regretting his decision after watch England on tv (I assume you mean in Russia next year) I doubt it very much cos it will be the same old same old, they won't get past the group stages.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #150: Sep 03, 2017 04:48:40 pm

Last I checked, Wales were in the semi-final while England got knocked out at round of 16 by Iceland in the Euro.
      I hope he'll kill it and help Wales qualify for the World Cup.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #151: Sep 03, 2017 05:23:50 pm
      Last I checked, Wales were in the semi-final while England got knocked out at round of 16 by Iceland in the Euro.
      I hope he'll kill it and help Wales qualify for the World Cup.
      England could get Wales in the group stage since Wales look like being in pot 3 if they get in. England look to be in pot 2.
      There could be a Solanke and TAA v Woodburn happening.
      I don't think Wales will get in though.. its looking a bit iffy.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #152: Sep 03, 2017 07:19:47 pm
      At the moment, with Southgates brilliant creative tactical genius steering England, I wouldn't like to bet on England v Wales.
      Although England have managed to bumble through qualifying for tournaments more regularly than Wales. The gap is closing, and that's coming from a pissed off englishman !
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #153: Sep 03, 2017 07:36:24 pm
      There is a clear difference between nationality and who a footballer can represent.

And there's such a thing as dual nationality (or dual citizenship).
      Yeah Ben is English but he's also Welsh. And the country he represents is his choice alone.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #154: Sep 03, 2017 09:05:25 pm
      And there's such a thing as dual nationality (or dual citizenship).
      Yeah Ben is English but he's also Welsh. And the country he represents is his choice alone.
      Being a Welsh footballer and a Welsh national are not the same thing. Now I have to go and provide a bunch of information with quotes.

According to the laws set by UK government, people can acquire nationality from their parent. Mother or Father.  These laws are made in connected sovereign states. I will outline nationality and citizenship here.

1) A National is automatically a citizen 2) Born outside the UK, if their parents are a national they are also a national. 3) Expats are still a national.

The UK does not take into consideration grandparents nationality any more than next doors nationality or best friend nationality etc... it has to be a parent.
      The part of Ireland that is outside of the UK allows for people to get an Irish passport from Grandparents, but UK never had grandparent's citizenship passed down like this.

Ben Woordburn has English parents, both of them. He lived in England all his life and was born in England.
      Liverpool scouted him early from his home town that is very close to the Welsh border.
      If Wales left the UK, Woodburn would probably need a visa to live in Wales but not England.
      How is he allowed to play for Wales then? Simply because FIFA have their own rules on who can represent what country that does not coincide with nationality or citizenship. FIFA rules takes precedence over local sovereign nationality laws.
      I will provide evidence then I expect this to be a closed matter.

Football rules;

Rules state that a player can represent the land of their birth, the land of either of their parents’ birth, or the birthplace of any one of their grandparents. This applies to all age-grades.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpools-ben-woodburn-welsh-english-12253550

One way people gain nationality.

You might already be a British citizen based on where and when you were born, or your parents’ circumstances. Check if you’re a British citizen if you’re not sure.

https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-nationality/british-citizenship

Grandparent is not a way. Since Wales and England are both part of the UK it is not a thing that will come to light, however consider the scenario Woodburn's grandparent was French, he would still be able to represent France without having any legal right to live there after Brexit.
      « Last Edit: Sep 03, 2017 09:23:42 pm by Ribapuru »
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #155: Sep 03, 2017 09:13:10 pm
      Being a Welsh footballer and a Welsh national are not the same thing. Now I have to go and provide a bunch of information with quotes.

According to the laws set by UK government, people can acquire nationality from their parent. Mother or Father.  These laws are made in connected sovereign states. I will outline nationality and citizenship here.

1) A National is automatically a citizen 2) Born outside the UK, if their parents are a national they are also a national. 3) Expats are still a national.

The UK does not take into consideration grandparents nationality any more than next doors nationality or best friend nationality etc... it had to be a parent.
      The part of Ireland that is outside of the UK allows for people to get an Irish passport from Grandparents, but UK never had grandparent's citizenship passed down like this.

Ben Woordburn has English parents, both of them. He lived in England all his life and was born in England.
      Liverpool scouted him early from his home town that is very close to the Welsh border.
      If Wales left the UK, Woodburn would probably need a visa to live in Wales but not England.
      How is he allowed to play for Wales then? Simply because FIFA have their own rules on who can represent a what country that does not coincide with nationality or citizenship. FIFA rules takes precedence over local sovereign nationality laws.
      I will provide evidence then I expect this to be a closed matter.

Football rules;

Rules state that a player can represent the land of their birth, the land of either of their parents’ birth, or the birthplace of any one of their grandparents. This applies to all age-grades.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpools-ben-woodburn-welsh-english-12253550

One way people gain nationality.

You might already be a British citizen based on where and when you were born, or your parents’ circumstances. Check if you’re a British citizen if you’re not sure.

https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-nationality/british-citizenship

Grandparent is not a way. Since Wales and England are both part of the UK it is not a thing that will come to light, however consider the scenario Woodburn's grandparent was French, he would still be able to represent France without having any legal right to live their after Brexit.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Reply #156: Sep 03, 2017 09:16:11 pm
      Quote from Ribapuru

he would still be able to represent France without having any legal right to live their after Brexit.

I think you'll find it's "there".

Just sayin'.

;)
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #157: Sep 03, 2017 09:21:37 pm
      I think you'll find it's "there".

Just sayin'.

;)
      yeah I made a grammar error. I will fix that along with where I put had instead of has.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Reply #158: Sep 03, 2017 09:27:16 pm
      yeah I made a grammar error. I will fix that along with where I put had instead of has.

If you just lightened up a bit Ribs and stop presenting as an authority on everything you'd probably find people less intolerant.

It'd also give you a lot of time back in your life - what with the hours you spend keying into search engines and then cutting and pasting into your posts........before correcting after people point it out. That's not even mentioning your obsession with others spelling and grammar.

Woodburn believes he's Welsh and he plays for Wales. The rest is just admin.......
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #159: Sep 03, 2017 09:37:06 pm
      If you just lightened up a bit Ribs and stop presenting as an authority on everything you'd probably find people less intolerant.

It'd also give you a lot of time back in your life - what with the hours you spend keying into search engines and then cutting and pasting into your posts........before correcting after people point it out. That's not even mentioning your obsession with others spelling and grammar.

Woodburn believes he's Welsh and he plays for Wales. The rest is just admin.......
      It's not that I want to act like an authority but it feels a bit like traitorish but meh... I hope England do get Wales in World Cup. As a Liverpool fan I back him, but in the world cup I would hope to put 5 past them now. They cheered when we got beat by Iceland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfIDJqrL0MQ

I believe that was the time England supporters stopped cheering Wales on, for the foreseeable future.
      Iceland are 20th in the world right now, very good team and doing decent in their group.
      They are hardly Malta or San Marino.
      Anyway, I am done about Woodburn and Wales.. I will just say I hope he does well at Liverpool.
      It could be a blessing in disguise he chose Wales for Liverpool, less chance of summer injuries.
      « Last Edit: Sep 03, 2017 09:42:55 pm by Ribapuru »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #160: Sep 03, 2017 10:20:49 pm
      The UK does not take into consideration grandparents nationality any more than next doors nationality or best friend nationality etc... it has to be a parent.

I'm no expert but I find this a very weird argument. As you say the rule you mentioned is a United Kingdom rule. My understanding is that legally there's no such thing as English or Welsh citizenship, just British.

In this sense it becomes a matter of choice for the player, as he has connections with both countries, and under FIFA rules it is up to him. It is not because he's an English national or a Welsh national - he's a British national that under FIFA rules can play for both England or Welsh national teams.

IF Wales left the UK, then the rules that would apply for gaining Welsh citizenship could be entirely different. I would guess they would very probably apply similar rules to the Irish, although at this point it is irrelevant as they are part of the UK.

Quick Reply