Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Ben Woodburn > PNE

Read 66581 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Benjamin Woodburn Player Thread
      Reply #46: Jan 28, 2017 02:42:42 pm
      Well played today kid
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #47: Jan 28, 2017 03:55:28 pm
      Not his best game today which is understandable as he is not a wide man.
      JedtheRed
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 58 
      Reply #48: Jan 28, 2017 04:00:03 pm
      Not his best game today which is understandable as he is not a wide man.

I agree to a point mate but he was still one of our best players which speaks volumes I think
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #49: Feb 13, 2017 04:00:09 pm
      https://twitter.com/LFC His second goal yesterday!not to shabby.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #50: Mar 12, 2017 09:33:15 pm
      Another good cameo from Ben and not looking out of place in fact was a upgrade on Coutinho.
      All good experience for the young lad.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #51: Mar 12, 2017 09:58:19 pm
      Another good cameo from Ben and not looking out of place in fact was a upgrade on Coutinho.
      All good experience for the young lad.

Only 17 too - when he builds up his strength we'll be seeing him take on players a lot more. Brushed off a bit easily at times as a result but his distribution was clever and he didn't seem unnerved.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #52: Mar 12, 2017 10:17:23 pm
      He did this weird thing were he hit the ball from the side of the pitch towards where a centre forward would be standing normally. And when he did it the ball moved fast and didn't just hit the first opposition player... legend has it we used to do this 'crossing' thing in days gone by.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #53: Mar 12, 2017 10:32:07 pm
      He did this weird thing were he hit the ball from the side of the pitch towards where a centre forward would be standing normally. And when he did it the ball moved fast and didn't just hit the first opposition player... legend has it we used to do this 'crossing' thing in days gone by.

:lmao:

Yep it's that plan B we've all been hearing about, stop trying to knock the defender over and just play it around him. Insightful from such a young lad, perhaps some of our older players can learn from him but I wont hold out much hope.

Really enjoyed his cameo and when Lucas slid the ball to the left and he could run on to it I thought we might just see a goal there. There's just something about the way he carries himself that says class, just those deft little touches and close control. Looking forward to seeing him again.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #54: Mar 14, 2017 01:02:33 am
      https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/841418941251612672

Wales at it again calling up players that clearly aren't ready for international games just so they're then ineligible for England in the future.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #55: Mar 14, 2017 01:46:38 am

Wales at it again calling up players that clearly aren't ready for international games just so they're then ineligible for England in the future.

Good news. We don't need our players joining up with the English farce. If it's not ridiculous media scrutiny, it's coming back with a broken leg all the fault of the England managements neanderthal methods.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #56: Mar 14, 2017 02:01:07 am

From a player perspective, If he is called up, it might indicate he and his family, along with Coleman has had a serious chat which concluded in him wanting to commit to us?

On the flip side, we could be taking advantage of him if it happens. Maybe he is not 100% sure, but the lure of experience and a step closer to first team football is edging him to accepting?

However, regardless of how you look at it, I feel it's wrong for us to call him up and it would be blatantly obvious why.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #57: Mar 16, 2017 07:42:10 am
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #58: Mar 16, 2017 12:06:05 pm

It's a double edged sword, there may be some reservation as you imply about the lad getting a shout at such a tender age irrespective if it keeps him out of the leg breaking, play when unfit, unappreciative Engerland set up, it's got to be a positive step.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #59: Mar 16, 2017 12:24:48 pm
      It's a double edged sword, there may be some reservation as you imply about the lad getting a shout at such a tender age irrespective if it keeps him out of the leg breaking, play when unfit, unappreciative Engerland set up, it's got to be a positive step.

It's a positive step as long as he doesn't get abandoned like Harry Wilson did. Wilson has scored 25 goals this season for the under-23's with a ton of assists too yet he doesn't get a sniff. Just gets my alarm bells ringing about it being a political decision. If I'm wrong then fair enough and well done to Wales for taking a chance on him.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #60: Mar 16, 2017 12:26:51 pm
      Really don't care if he plays for Wales, just because he isn't english doesn't mean he wont be good for us....i'd happily take bale!
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #61: Mar 16, 2017 06:29:07 pm
      Excellent for Woodburn, because:

(A) He gets to play for a decent national side
      (B) He won't incur the wrath of neanderthal tactics from the English national squad, thus resulting in injuries
      (C) He won't have to contend with ridiculous media scrutiny
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #62: Mar 16, 2017 07:11:45 pm
      Am I the only one who has been massively underwhelmed by this lad so far, what he's done to earn a call up is a bit beyond me to be honest or is it just Wales hedging their best for the future.

Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #63: Mar 16, 2017 07:35:12 pm
      Am I the only one who has been massively underwhelmed by this lad so far, what he's done to earn a call up is a bit beyond me to be honest or is it just Wales hedging their best for the future.

F**k me underwhelmed, have a wee look at what he's done in the squads he's been playing in full time and check yourself. Huge prospect.

As for the other point... Yes, yes it is.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #64: Mar 16, 2017 07:59:15 pm
      F**k me underwhelmed, have a wee look at what he's done in the squads he's been playing in full time and check yourself. Huge prospect.

As for the other point... Yes, yes it is.

Yeah but if you compare it to the impact of a young Stevie G, Fowler, Macca or Owen then its not exactly explosive is it.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #65: Mar 16, 2017 08:28:18 pm
      Yeah but if you compare it to the impact of a young Stevie G, Fowler, Macca or Owen then its not exactly explosive is it.

Not really though if you think about it.

Woodburn is 17

McManaman only started playing for us when he was 19. Gerrard made his debut in 98 when he was an 18 year old, making 12 appearences with 0 goals and 0 assists. Played 31 games as a 20 year old and scored 1 goal. Woodburn is still 3 years away from that. Fowler made an impact right away at 17-18 and is still arguably the best young player the club has ever seen along with Michael Owen. I think we can only really compare once Woodburn has had his first full season in the senior squad and see if he gets a run in the team. One thing I'd hate to see is him go out on loan as loans have never made a success out of a player, they develop at the club, for the club, by the club.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #66: Mar 16, 2017 08:47:35 pm
      Not really though if you think about it.

Woodburn is 17

McManaman only started playing for us when he was 19. Gerrard made his debut in 98 when he was an 18 year old, making 12 appearences with 0 goals and 0 assists. Played 31 games as a 20 year old and scored 1 goal. Woodburn is still 3 years away from that. Fowler made an impact right away at 17-18 and is still arguably the best young player the club has ever seen along with Michael Owen. I think we can only really compare once Woodburn has had his first full season in the senior squad and see if he gets a run in the team. One thing I'd hate to see is him go out on loan as loans have never made a success out of a player, they develop at the club, for the club, by the club.

I'm more than happy to see how he develops and agree he is still young and a prospect, but I'm just not seeing anything to get to excited about yet, sorry. I totally agree about not sending him out on loan though, I can't think of a single case where one of our players have come back from being on loan and become a regular in the first team.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #67: Mar 16, 2017 09:14:15 pm
      Interesting that very few are talking about how Wales are actually the better team than England. Wonder if that had any part in the decision?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #68: Mar 16, 2017 09:26:44 pm
      Interesting that very few are talking about how Wales are actually the better team than England. Wonder if that had any part in the decision?

After some digging, I found that he's been playing for Wales since 13 and has Bale followed on his insta :D So one would assume he considers himself Welsh and fully committed :)

Quick Reply