Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Ben Woodburn > PNE

Read 66546 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Benjamin Woodburn Player Thread
      Reply #207: Nov 14, 2017 07:04:10 pm
      Benny needs to start getting into more of these games IMO. I see him joining the first team full time next season will Phil leaving and Adam being another year older. We need to start getting him Prem. ready. It doesn't have to be in the first 11, but sub him on from time to time and let him get his feet wet.

Was watching France vs Wales, and the difference between Mbappe and Woodburn is huge, and both around the same age too. I think Woodburn  should go out on loan and play competitive league football regularly in January. I just feel he being held back because we have experienced players ahead of him; it's like a gifted kid going to a public school ffs!
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #208: Nov 14, 2017 07:15:29 pm
      Was watching France vs Wales, and the difference between Mbappe and Woodburn is huge, and both around the same age too. I think Woodburn  should go out on loan and play competitive league football regularly in January. I just feel he being held back because we have experienced players ahead of him; it's like a gifted kid going to a public school ffs!

Just my point. Pretty soon we are going to have to rely on him. If he falls flat some blokes will cuss the kid for being crap and costing us games. The fact of the matter is we need him playing, I'm okay with him going on loan for big boy football. Nice point Monk
      JackSparrow
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #209: Nov 18, 2017 05:41:20 pm
      not convinced it's the reason. He's probably been over hyped. He's not as good as Michael Owen or Gerrard was at 18, nowhere near. He's good and has potential but Mbappe is world class and Woodburn is not. If you saw Loftus Cheek and Solanke, two other players not playing regular but still performed internationally. I would not loan him out, I'd let him have the FA cup games with Gomez, Solanke and TAA. It's going to be good for their development.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #210: Dec 05, 2017 03:48:14 pm
      Ben just got an award .

Jürgen a crack up as usual .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42239023
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #211: Jan 04, 2018 11:01:56 pm
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #212: Jan 04, 2018 11:07:06 pm

Coleman is familiar with him, so it's a no brainer, however, I think he is below average and a defensive coach. Would have been great if Wolves took a gamble on Woodburn :D
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #213: Jan 08, 2018 06:49:13 am
      Woodburn can step into Coutinho boots.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #214: Jan 08, 2018 06:54:58 am
      Woodburn can step into Coutinho boots.

Woodburn and Harry Wilson for me, so one or the other doesn't get overloaded.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #215: Jan 08, 2018 03:01:45 pm
      If we are not going for a replacement this winter, then Woodburn deserves an opportunity. Our midfield offers very little creativity and a lot of graft, so he is the type of player needed in our midfield.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #216: Jan 18, 2018 06:28:56 pm
      Looks like Klopp will being keeping Ben around the club for the rest of the season after rejecting Sunderland approach for a loan deal. I am little disappointed as I would of like to see him get playing time but with Phil gone it will bump him on the depth chart and maybe see more of him coming off the bench or starting FA Cup games

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/liverpool-transfer-news-rumours-live-ben-woodburn-daniel-sturridge-inter-milan-sevilla-a8166046.html
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #217: Jan 18, 2018 06:43:07 pm
      Interesting one this.

Loan bid rejected working with a manager he knows and trusts at a good club albeit sh*te team.

Holding him here and then not playing him makes no sense which suggests hell get time rsther then us making a big signing to replace Coutinho.

To me a mistake. I like the kid a lot. But we cant expect him to cover the loss of Coutinho.

As far as im concerned 2nd place is there to be won plus the FA cup and champions league. Id love to see us show intent by getting a big name in to replace coutinho plus a keeper. Young woodburn being the option off the bench might not be enough.

Though id love to be wrong
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #218: Jan 18, 2018 06:44:39 pm
      Woodburn is good enough to cover Coutinho, I have no doubt. Just give him some games in our rotation policy. He was better than Bale in the Welsh games and I doubt many would refuse Bale.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #219: Jan 18, 2018 06:48:27 pm
      Personally glad that Klopp has halted Woodburn's move to Sunderland. That would be akin to the throwing him on a rubbish heap such is the direness of that team at the moment.

And for what it's worth - Coleman isn't that good a manager so it's not like he's missing out on his juicy footballing wisdom. Bit of a charlatan who ran off the back of Gareth Bale's quality alone in that Wales side.

He'd learn more in the U23s than at Sunderland.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #220: Jan 18, 2018 06:55:52 pm
      Personally glad that Klopp has halted Woodburn's move to Sunderland. That would be akin to the throwing him on a rubbish heap such is the direness of that team at the moment.

And for what it's worth - Coleman isn't that good a manager so it's not like he's missing out on his juicy footballing wisdom. Bit of a charlatan who ran off the back of Gareth Bale's quality alone in that Wales side.

He'd learn more in the U23s than at Sunderland.
      I think Woodburn should be on the bench in the next game.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #221: Jan 19, 2018 02:50:12 am
      To me a mistake. I like the kid a lot. But we cant expect him to cover the loss of Coutinho.

I wouldn't think anyone be foolish enough to think he is going to cover Phil, that is going to fall on Ox and Lallana who by the looks of things with be fighting for the attack mid spot behind our front 3 (I don't expect a new signing unfortunately). He will be asked to take a role to make a impact off the bench more so than anything as I can see him and Ings rotating on the sub bench.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #222: Jan 19, 2018 03:53:35 am
      I wouldn't think anyone be foolish enough to think he is going to cover Phil, that is going to fall on Ox and Lallana who by the looks of things with be fighting for the attack mid spot behind our front 3 (I don't expect a new signing unfortunately). He will be asked to take a role to make a impact off the bench more so than anything as I can see him and Ings rotating on the sub bench.

I remember watching Coutinho when Rafa had Inter Milan. He used him as an 18 yr old quite a bit. That was a team full of seasoned professionals of high quality (unfortunately bloated with age and weary). The point is, he did a good job when given the task. Rafa was somewhat forced to use Phil because the rest of the team (apart from Eto ) had mutinied. Maybe now Phil's gone it is time to give Woodburn the same opportunity. Not all the time but in some matches, give him a go.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #223: Jan 19, 2018 11:21:55 am
      I remember watching Coutinho when Rafa had Inter Milan. He used him as an 18 yr old quite a bit. That was a team full of seasoned professionals of high quality (unfortunately bloated with age and weary). The point is, he did a good job when given the task. Rafa was somewhat forced to use Phil because the rest of the team (apart from Eto ) had mutinied. Maybe now Phil's gone it is time to give Woodburn the same opportunity. Not all the time but in some matches, give him a go.

I think the lead would excel in the team surrounded by the quality we have... Some quality players to learn from.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #224: Jan 19, 2018 08:46:38 pm
      Torn here.

Really want to see someone come in with the Phil money but also really want to see more of Woodburn in the team. Don't think you can have both.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #225: Jan 19, 2018 11:08:04 pm
      Torn here.

Really want to see someone come in with the Phil money but also really want to see more of Woodburn in the team. Don't think you can have both.

Still not sure what position he would be best suited to in order have a good career with us.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #226: Jan 20, 2018 09:47:17 am
      Still not sure what position he would be best suited to in order have a good career with us.
      Forward. Same reason as Coutinho, too small to offer much midfield protection for defence. I don't like deep play makers who can't defend either, it's like having 10.5 men. To me Coutinho was always going to end up being a forward because he's so s**t at ariel duels and tackles etc... In my opinion anybody can't can't win the ball needs to be supplied the ball, so a forward. Ben Woodburn is like a young Coutinho in style of football, he needs to just get on our wing, we either buy somebody else and loan Woodburn or use him because he has proven he's talented.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #227: Jan 20, 2018 10:25:39 am

I think he’s a CAM all day long.

Talented boy - delighted he’s staying and will see a bit more game time.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #228: Jan 20, 2018 03:44:29 pm
      I think he’s a CAM all day long.

Talented boy - delighted he’s staying and will see a bit more game time.
      maybe #10 is closest he can be to an ATM, but we don't use #10 in 433. Unless we have a very good DM, then ATM with woodburn leaves us exposed. Not being funny but I know you're a Hendonite, but most people don't think we have a good enough DM to go playing Woodburn as ATM. I'm not saying Woodburn can't be ATM, but we would need somebody at Kante's level behind him.

Firmino
      Woodburn                 Salah

This would work when Lallana or Mane neee a rest. His loan is off because Coutinho has gone, it's him he's going to be covering.

In that system he can have Ox, Can and Lallana behind him as opposed to being part of the midfield where he'll have additional responsibilities.
      « Last Edit: Jan 20, 2018 04:05:52 pm by Ribapuru »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #229: Jan 23, 2018 01:31:07 pm
      Hope he gets game time against Albion we need to get him up to speed if there is no more incoming s which is looking like the case.

I don't want to see Gini with Can against the Bus parkers.

Quick Reply