Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Lazar Markovic - Sporting and others

Read 14384 times
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Re: Lazar Markovic - Sporting and others
      Reply #23: Jul 15, 2016 04:05:36 pm
      I'm a bit disappointed it didn't work out for him.

Felt Rodgers shunted him out to unnatural positions and the bench because he was a Committee man. Saw flashes of what he can offer but again was disappointed to see him go out on loan, especially given how short we ended up in attack Rodgers last full season. 

Was a bit of a worry when he seemed to not really be setting the world alight in Turkey, expected him to be one of the better players in one of the best teams.

Huge potential and hype when he played at Benfica and in his home country, but it's really hard to see that anymore. Probably best to let him go.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #24: Jul 15, 2016 04:22:58 pm
      sorry to see a young player not make it but I am happier to get shut of any player who cannot contribute
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #25: Jul 15, 2016 04:54:43 pm
      sorry to see a young player not make it but I am happier to get shut of any player who cannot contribute

I feel sometimes though that it takes some players a little longer to get used to football in a certain league than it does with others. Considering Markovic has only had one season in the Prem it seems a bit premature does it not?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #26: Jul 15, 2016 04:55:49 pm
      Another royal F**k-Up by the Transfer Committee.

Hope Lazar realises his potential at his next club he has plenty of it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #27: Jul 15, 2016 05:02:59 pm
      Felt it was madness buying him and Lallana in the same window.

Could see this ending up going one way once he was binned off on loan to Turkey.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #28: Jul 15, 2016 05:16:06 pm
      Remember J.D. compared buying him to Aquilani, I agreed then and still do. Hopefully we can sell him for a reasonable fee and only lose half what we paid for him.

Also a demonstration (along with Ibe) for those that need it, that even Jürgen can't turn water into wine
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #29: Jul 15, 2016 06:02:12 pm
      Remember J.D. compared buying him to Aquilani, I agreed then and still do. Hopefully we can sell him for a reasonable fee and only lose half what we paid for him.

Also a demonstration (along with Ibe) for those that need it, that even Jürgen can't turn water into wine

Is anyone saying that though, I don't see it. He's had very few training sessions with Markovic and he's made a judgement call that he's not good enough, it's that simple isn't it?

I don't believe anyone thinks Jürgen can give Balotelli the hunger and desire of Ings or give Lallana the finishing of Fowler. The suggestion is he can get more out of players than other coaches, not perform miracles.

There's a difference between development and transformation as well you know and I'd have thought it clear anyone saying Jürgen is a better manager than x,y,z are not suggesting he could turn a team of none-league players into Champions League winners.

There does seem to be a strange trend of using the previous manager's failures as demonstration of Jürgen's inability to draw more out of them. It's odd because I would have thought if Jürgen sells one of the previous manager's players it's because he thinks he should never have been bought which most of us would probably agree with. Certainly in the cases of Balotelli, Alberto etc, but no it's his inability to perform miracles that we're highlighting?

Jürgen's had a season deciding which players are worth investing his time and which aren't. The likes of Lovren/Can/Firmino etc should be the barometer of how we judge Jürgen's influence not those he simply thinks are beyond redemption.

I'd personally prefer if we judged his ability on his own players and players he does see potential in before suggesting what his limitations are. For instance in Markovic's case I believe that he sees Mane and Coutinho as his wider players therefore Markovic isn't in the first choice XI, behind that are Lallana, Ojo and Kent who, especially the latter pair, he feels he can work with and develop. So just maybe Jürgen feels he has enough talent to work with and time invested in Markovic would simply be wasted therefore the decision is simple.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #30: Jul 15, 2016 06:36:08 pm
      Indeed s@int... the old 'polish a turd' themed debates, I remember them really well.

So... anyhows... Jürgen will be starting the season with players he rates. Just like Brendan - he doesn't rate Lazar. Rodgers got some flack for not playing him; Jürgen won't.

It's that true; it's that simple.

There's no need to rewrite history or paint it any other way.

siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #31: Jul 15, 2016 08:49:12 pm
      I am often extremely patient with our underperforming players, but I'll get anything for him just to get rid. Terrible player that couldn't even impress in the mighty Turkish League. He has literally shown zero signs that he is a decent player. He is not even good in those youtube snippets where everyone looks like a worldie. One of the worst buys in our history.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #32: Jul 15, 2016 09:02:27 pm
      It felt like his whole LFC career literally hinged on that red card he got for scratching that dude with his fingernail. Very unlucky :D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #33: Jul 15, 2016 10:01:58 pm
      Good. He was sh*te apart from one game against Sunderland.

Got exposed in a tougher league and couldn't handle it. Can't run with your head down in to dead-ends and expect to be a success.

I still can't forget that lay-off he made for Raheem when 2 on 1 vs the keeper against Arsenal. Instead of going up 1-0 we got thumped.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #34: Jul 15, 2016 10:44:25 pm
      Alberto Aquilani part 2 get rid.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,196 posts | 913 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #35: Jul 16, 2016 09:43:11 am
      Nowhere good enough for Liverpool, waste of money, get rid
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #36: Jul 18, 2016 03:54:01 pm
      One of the worst buys in our history.

Still doesn't top the arsehole that was Diouf!!

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #37: Jul 20, 2016 12:40:25 pm
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #38: Jul 20, 2016 02:02:19 pm

I wonder if he plays today or if this has progressed to "keep him safe" mode.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #39: Jul 20, 2016 02:34:35 pm

Potential replacement for Leroy Sane, who is close to joining City for £45m !!
      That move there, relegates Sterling to the bench. Nolito-Aguero-Sane will be Pep's front 3 and Silva-Gundogan-KdB will be the mid 3!!

On Lazar, this move might help as he will be under Jorge Jesus again!
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #40: Jul 20, 2016 02:39:44 pm

That move there, relegates Sterling to the bench. Nolito-Aguero-Sane will be Pep's front 3 and Silva-Gundogan-KdB will be the mid 3!!

And going by performances, is exactly where Sterling belongs! Been woeful for club and country. Back to Lazar though, I think it's a missed opportunity on both parts. But to be honest, he's looked like he can't be arsed.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #41: Jul 20, 2016 02:47:21 pm

On Lazar, this move might help as he will be under Jorge Jesus again!

;D good luck to Pep that midfield will get run over by most teams.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #42: Jul 20, 2016 03:02:05 pm
      I was thrilled when we signed him.  Saw a decent bit of him at Benfica and he seemed like he had the world at his feet. 

I'll be thrilled when we sell him.  He hasn't progressed, doesn't look like he wants to be here, and isn't a Klopp style player. 
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #43: Jul 20, 2016 03:02:47 pm
      ;D good luck to Pep that midfield will get run over by most teams.

Not to mention no one knows when or what condition Gundogan will be in after his knee injury.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #44: Jul 22, 2016 02:34:58 pm
      Still convinced there's a player in there, but he seems to have hit a wall in his development.

A move away could do him the world of good, and maybe he can get some confidence back.

He's still only 22, but like many, I would expected him to kick on a bit.
      The fact that he hasn't could have many reasons, but I suspect confidence has a lot to do with it.

He's not the first highly rated young player to come unstuck after a big move, and he won't be the last.
      instride01
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #45: Jul 22, 2016 04:57:49 pm
      Was excited when we signed him, though I thought it was too much $$ and too soon for him as he was still so young.  Unfortunately his confidence is shot and he hasn't progressed at all.  Time is on his side, so hopefully he can right the ship.  I'd much rather loan him again and reassess next year when we should have Europe and more matches to contend with.  I think Klopp can make a player of him as I think he has the skill set to play in his system.  Just may be too little too late to salvage his Anfield career and a transfer wouldn't surprise me.

Quick Reply