Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Georginio Wijnaldum - Newcastle

Read 34377 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum - Newcastle
      Reply #23: Jul 17, 2016 11:16:12 pm
      I was all set for a quiet late Sunday night in front of the TV watching MLS, why did they have to announce transfer news? I'm like a transfer junky, F5 hates me right now.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #24: Jul 17, 2016 11:19:53 pm
      I was all set for a quiet late Sunday night in front of the TV watching MLS, why did they have to announce transfer news? I'm like a transfer junky, F5 hates me right now.

Me too mate, only I was all set for bed  :D
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #25: Jul 17, 2016 11:50:50 pm
      We should try signing players better than than the ones we have, every window for about two years.

That would really help us in the 'not being sh*t and finishing midtable' situation we are usually in.

It's a whacky idea I know.

This lad was hugely disappointing for a lot  of Newcastle fans, will cost a lot and isn't better than any of our attacking midfielders.

Why bother?

This will end up a classically Liverpool signing, too much money for a player who isn't too good.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #26: Jul 18, 2016 12:07:35 am
      Why did the three little amigos all post that tweet at exactly 10pm?

really shows that there is no such thing anymore as the "Liverpool way."  The club clearly informs them of what is going on behind the scenes.  It's cringeworthy.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #27: Jul 18, 2016 12:13:42 am
      Or maybe, Klopp knows what he is doing?

Just a thought like.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #28: Jul 18, 2016 12:14:25 am
      ;D!  I can practically hear the collective heads of this forum banging into the wall!! 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #29: Jul 18, 2016 12:15:24 am

Just a thought like.

Sure as hell hope so. Any question that if the last boss had targeted this player he'd have already been burned at the stake? Don't kid yourself.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #30: Jul 18, 2016 12:16:44 am
      I would ask for the opinion of Bier/Dexter/whatever his previous nick was but he's disappeared again, so I'll have to wait for his next coming, reborn into a new Dutch knowledgeable forum member.

Based on the few times I've watched him at Newcastle, he looks decent but seriously not a player I would call exciting. Seems to be a high scoring attacking midfielder, similar in a sense to the role of someone like Firmino, and I wonder what his place in the squad would be.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #31: Jul 18, 2016 12:23:17 am
      Believe four of his goals came in one game.

Hugely inconsistent from what I've read.

So he fits in fine with our other 25 attacking midfielders.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #32: Jul 18, 2016 12:23:19 am
      Sure as hell hope so. Any question that if the last boss had targeted this player he'd have already been burned at the stake? Don't kid yourself.

That's because the last manager was clearly out of his depth and didn't know what he wanted of his team or who to have in it and would have happily signed Ronald McDonald if he showed "character".

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #33: Jul 18, 2016 12:25:33 am
      That's because the last manager was clearly out of his depth and didn't know what he wanted of his team or who to have in it and would have happily signed Ronald McDonald if he showed "character".

Really? Sakho, Lovren, Firmino, Milner, Clyne and Lallana all part of a team that Jürgen thinks is good enough to keep around and challenge. From Jürgen's own mouth he inherited a good team. So thanks for proving my point :D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #34: Jul 18, 2016 12:28:14 am
      Really? Sakho, Lovren, Firmino, Milner, Clyne and Lallana all part of a team that Jürgen thinks is good enough to keep around and challenge. From Jürgen's own mouth he inherited a good team. So thanks for proving my point :D

Here we go again with your so called point proving of things I haven't actually said...
      Funny how them players only came good when under Klopp though isn't it, with the exception of Clyne and Sakho from time to time.
      It's funny how you take Klopp's word that he inherited a good team but so many are doubting his signings.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #35: Jul 18, 2016 12:38:08 am
      Here we go again with your so called point proving of things I haven't actually said...
      Funny how them players only came good when under Klopp though isn't it, with the exception of Clyne and Sakho from time to time.
      It's funny how you take Klopp's word that he inherited a good team but so many are doubting his signings.

Nah, that's not it at all. The fact of the matter is, these aren't the players that ANY of us are excited about. But those that are afraid to question (or appear to be questioning) anything Jürgen does just continue to bleat on about how we should all just trust Jürgen. I do trust Jürgen on his reputation, but I am unimpressed with the caliber of player we are targeting right now and I surely hope I'm made to look like a fool once the season is underway. I'll happily eat my words and apologize to all I've offended with my pessimism. Problem is, if in wrong it's good news for reds everywhere, I just hope my pessimism is unfounded because if I'm right it's bad news for all of us.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #36: Jul 18, 2016 12:42:51 am
      Nah, that's not it at all. The fact of the matter is, these aren't the players that ANY of us are excited about. But those that are afraid to question (or appear to be questioning) anything Jürgen does just continue to bleat on about how we should all just trust Jürgen. I do trust Jürgen on his reputation, but I am unimpressed with the caliber of player we are targeting right now and I surely hope I'm made to look like a fool once the season is underway. I'll happily eat my words and apologize to all I've offended with my pessimism. Problem is, if in wrong it's good news for reds everywhere, I just hope my pessimism is unfounded because if I'm right it's bad news for all of us.

I'm sure when he made his low cost and Unknown signings at BVB their fans would have had the same views. Unfortunately, until the season gets going, all we can do is hope every signing made is a success. It won't be the case, it never is, for us or any other team but in a years time, hopefully we can look back on this window and think to ourselves how it was successful and can feel more optimistic. This was always going to be a huge and difficult summer player wise.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #37: Jul 18, 2016 12:43:37 am
      I just want a gnarly CM who can tackle like F**k, pass, shoot and score and take a booking when he needs to, etc, etc...

Any of them knocking around?
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #38: Jul 18, 2016 12:46:05 am
      I just don't really see where he fits into the squad. We have enough attacking mid's and to play him in a deeper role from what I ever seen he is pure attacking play who would need a holding type CM like Lucas to be paired with (and who knows what his situation is). Even if we are moving out Markovic or Allen (if Kloop plans to play him deeper) I don't really see it much of a improvement in the quality of squad either way
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #39: Jul 18, 2016 12:48:28 am
      I just want a gnarly CM who can tackle like f**k, pass, shoot and score and take a booking when he needs to, etc, etc...

Or just another Masch?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #40: Jul 18, 2016 12:48:42 am
      I just want a gnarly CM who can tackle like f**k, pass, shoot and score and take a booking when he needs to, etc, etc...

Vidal or Pjanic bud.

Zero chance of prying Vidal from Bayern....Pjanic I thought we'd been linked to in the past.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #41: Jul 18, 2016 01:12:28 am

That would be amazing.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #42: Jul 18, 2016 01:26:28 am
      this smells of so many previous signings - but for a lot more money.

and for all the 'trust klopp' crap - same thing was said next to every previous manager too.

all these types of dodgy signings make Mane seem like a real hope for success.

bloody pissed off
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #43: Jul 18, 2016 01:55:14 am
      Vidal or Pjanic bud.

Zero chance of prying Vidal from Bayern....Pjanic I thought we'd been linked to in the past.

Ovie Ejaria.  :f_tongueincheek:

But I think Pogba, Marchisio, Matuidi, Nainggolan, Witsel, De Rossi, Schweinsteiger, and a few others are also already fit into the world class version of that category. Whether any of them are achievable is a different question.

Wijnaldum is a pretty adequate player but nothing like that. Another attacking-minded CM with limited defensive capabilities. Not a bad scoring record whatsoever for a CM though I will say. £25m for another CAM seems pretty nuts to me though when we've got other positions that need to be filled and when you can get higher quality players from outside the PL for that money.

Moussa Sissoko is more fitting of the "Masch" type player though. Would rather we spent money on him or someone like that rather than Wijnaldum to be honest. Not the best attitude, but it's not like Masch had/has a great attitude either.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #44: Jul 18, 2016 02:10:32 am

Just a thought like.

You're not allowed to say that around here.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,520 posts | 713 
      Reply #45: Jul 18, 2016 02:31:42 am
      seems like a good player imo, not a bad goal scoring record either http://www.transfermarkt.com/georginio-wijnaldum/leistungsdaten/spieler/49499

but do we need another attacking midfielder?

Quick Reply