Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Georginio Wijnaldum - Newcastle

Read 34390 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum - Newcastle
      Reply #253: Jul 21, 2016 04:33:25 pm
      The main reason of course that NET spend should be under the microscope, is that the lack of it is a damning indictment of FSG.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #254: Jul 21, 2016 04:34:51 pm
      Now we'very got a goalie who simply MUST be better than  what he'says replacing, and at least two straight in the team attacking players, we'really getting somewhere.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #255: Jul 21, 2016 04:45:51 pm
      The main reason of course that NET spend should be under the microscope, is that the lack of it is a damning indictment of FSG.

Yeah I think the only down side to this transfer was the suggestion that it was apparently dependent on the agreed sale of  Allen.

I can understand that room has to be made in the squad as ours was/is inflated but hopefully money was not an issue.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #256: Jul 21, 2016 04:51:09 pm
      If you look at the Holland vs. Costa Rica match at the 2014 World Cup, he clearly plays central midfield for the Dutch national team.
      Here is the technical report: http://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/02/40/03/33/eng_59_0705_ned-crc_tacticalstartlist.pdf

Had the 3rd highest number of passes attempted and percentage completed in that game, playing 120 minutes.

Video highlights. He is #20: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbSat2JK5Es

Do you work on the transfer committee?

1 game. 2 years ago. Third highest passing percentage. Against Costa Rica.

Pass us the cheque book!  :mixed-smiley-009:
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #257: Jul 21, 2016 05:04:07 pm

To be fair to the lad, he's presenting something to think about and evidence for his argument - that Wijnaldum can be a central midfielder.

I may not necessarily agree with it but stuff likes this gives you something to consider and challenge your view.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,514 posts | 1766 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #258: Jul 21, 2016 05:20:22 pm
      Is this not a done deal now. Sure I seen it Sly Sports.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,514 posts | 1766 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #259: Jul 21, 2016 05:21:25 pm
      BBC

Georginio Wijnaldum: Liverpool agree £25m deal with Newcastle for midfielder

Liverpool have agreed a £25m deal to sign Netherlands international Georginio Wijnaldum from Newcastle.

The 25-year-old midfielder, who had four years remaining on his contract at St James' Park, will have a medical with the Premier League side on Friday.

Wijnaldum joined Newcastle for £14.5m from Dutch side PSV in 2015, playing in all 38 of the club's Premier League games last season and scoring 11 goals.

He will be the Reds' sixth signing of the summer so far.

The other new additions are...
      ◾Mainz goalkeeper Loris Karius (£4.7m)
      â—¾Schalke centre-back Joel Matip (free transfer)
      ◾Red Star Belgrade midfielder Marko Grujic (£5.1m) (the deal went through in January, but he did not join up with Liverpool until 1 July)
      ◾Southampton forward Sadio Mane (£34m)
      ◾FC Augsburg defender Ragnar Klavan (£4.2m)

Wijnaldum, who began his career at Feyenoord before moving to PSV Eindhoven, has made 30 appearances for the Netherlands and helped them finish third in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

He scored on his Premier League debut in August 2015 and found the net a further 10 times during the season, including four in a 6-2 win over Norwich, but could not prevent Newcastle being relegated to the Championship.

Liverpool finished eighth in the Premier League last season and a 3-1 loss to Sevilla in the Europa League final ensured they will not be playing in European competition in 2016-17.

The Reds are currently on tour in America and play Chelsea (27 July), AC Milan (30 July) and Roma (1 August), before games against Barcelona at Wembley Stadium on 6 August and FSV Mainz 05 a day later in Germany.

harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #260: Jul 21, 2016 05:56:00 pm
      Is this not a done deal now. Sure I seen it Sly Sports.

It does appear to be sorted.  However, Loic Remy wanted me to remind everyone that an LFC medical is much more than just a formality!!   :lmao:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #261: Jul 21, 2016 06:39:02 pm
      It does appear to be sorted.  However, Loic Remy wanted me to remind everyone that an LFC medical is much more than just a formality!!   :lmao:

To be fair, I'd much rather the club go to town with a medical instead of just skipping half of it or something because the last thing we want is to be signing a player with either a slight underlying injury that could potentially cause him to miss a lot of football for us or even if there is an underlying health problem.

One thing I've noticed though, as soon as we are getting underway with negotitiations for a player, we seem to be getting it all wrapped up much quicker than in recent seasons which is good, seem to be less haggling over a fee and just paying it.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #262: Jul 21, 2016 06:41:11 pm
      To be fair, I'd much rather the club go to town with a medical instead of just skipping half of it or something because the last thing we want is to be signing a player with either a slight underlying injury that could potentially cause him to miss a lot of football for us or even if there is an underlying health problem.

One thing I've noticed though, as soon as we are getting underway with negotitiations for a player, we seem to be getting it all wrapped up much quicker than in recent seasons which is good, seem to be less haggling over a fee and just paying it.

That's because Jürgen has been roaming the Continent and staying away from transfer targets  :)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #263: Jul 21, 2016 06:45:56 pm
      I think we should stick with the tried and tested way of judging Managers transfers.

Managers we no longer like get judged on gross spend while managers we like get judged on net spend. Obviously use of the words pissed away or invested should only be used where appropriate.
      Hee Hee...

Although it wasn't under Rodgers, at the moment 'Net' is fashionable again and that's fair enough with me.

Hopefully tho' the praise, that appears to be prevalent for having a low net spend won't turn into what happened with Rafa.

You know? Where it became a [very valid] excuse as to why we weren't winning? Fingers crossed.

Back on topic: I'm glad I'm not alone in my assessment of the lad.  ;D
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #264: Jul 21, 2016 06:52:35 pm
      Back on topic: I'm glad I'm not alone in my assessment of the lad.

I honestly don't know much about this player but in general it seem Jürgen is adding goals to a part of the pitch that has been sorely lacking in Mane, Wijnaldum & it appears Grujic and this can only be a good thing.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #265: Jul 21, 2016 07:04:38 pm
      I'm delighted with this signing. I reckon he can play in a midfield 3. Way back there was a poll of ehich 3 premier league players would you have in the Liverpool side and he was one of them for me. Good quality full back who could play both sides now would be fantastic, hard to find I know. Then we could put the cheque book away. YNWA
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #266: Jul 21, 2016 07:15:10 pm
      Really happy with this signing.

For the first time in years I can count goalscorers in our team on two hands.

Pretty much our whole midfield is a goal threat now!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #267: Jul 21, 2016 07:16:18 pm

???
      There has been an ongoing discussion about what position he plays, and so I thought I'd cite some, you  know, actual evidence that he has played in the central midfield role before with some apparent effectiveness. You can make fun of the opponent I guess, but it was in a World Cup quarterfinal, playing for the Dutch national team.

I didn't say anything as to whether he should be signed. I suppose if you prefer, I could be just spout off, but you are already serving that purpose in here.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #268: Jul 21, 2016 07:30:18 pm
      ???
      There has been an ongoing discussion about what position he plays, and so I thought I'd cite some, you  know, actual evidence that he has played in the central midfield role before with some apparent effectiveness. You can make fun of the opponent I guess, but it was in a World Cup quarterfinal, playing for the Dutch national team.

I didn't say anything as to whether he should be signed. I suppose if you prefer, I could be just spout off, but you are already serving that purpose in here.

Ignore it mate some people are just here to stir other posters up. If someone thinks your video lacks relevance, they simply don't watch it.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #269: Jul 21, 2016 07:47:00 pm
      We  pay £25 million July 2016.

Toon paid £14.5 million for him July 2015.

Like something off Harry and Paul

" I saw you coming "

https://youtu.be/BUnvgKhWZdI

Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Reply #270: Jul 21, 2016 07:48:58 pm
      Did't watch lad frequently but hope he will adapt well here. That said, I'm curious to see if he would start ahead Cou, Firmino or Mane if his main position is behind the striker.

Wijnaldum Goals Season 2015/16 in 720HD:

https://twitter.com/LFCMostar/status/756151274509180928

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #271: Jul 21, 2016 07:56:21 pm
      This is f**king pathetic.  West f**king Ham are showing more ambition than us.  While we are shopping at Saints and in the Championship.

I'm starting to feel bad about being so hard on Rodgers now.  There's no way in hell that Klopp came in and said "I want Sadio Mane, a couple of Championship players and some blokes on a free from Germany who no one wants."  no f**king way.

first Kenny, then Rodgers, now Klopp.  Too much of a coincidence that ALL THREE of them would want to sign mediocre players.  The only common denominator is FSG.  Their methods are getting old very fast.  "we can compete with anyone in the world, they said."   :roll:  We can't even compete with West Ham right now.

I want someone to ask John Henry why we can't sign top players.  Can't be because we aren't in London, or don't have Champions League.  Look at the Mancs, a disaster of a season yet they brought in Mkhitaryan, Ibrahimovic and are on the verge of bringing in Pogba.  Last time I checked Manchester isn't in London.  And they don't have CL this season.

So what's the difference?  That's right folks, the difference is---FSG just won't invest in the football side of things enough to make us a top side.   They won't pay for top players.  End of.  Sponsorships, renovations, etc, sure they'll pay for that.

But actually getting top, game changing players?  nope.  Not going to happen.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #272: Jul 21, 2016 07:58:31 pm
      Did't watch lad frequently but hope he will adapt well here. That said, I'm curious to see if he would start ahead Cou, Firmino or Mane if his main position is behind the striker.

Wijnaldum Goals Season 2015/16 in 720HD:

https://twitter.com/LFCMostar/status/756151274509180928

I thought he could play a couple of positions, either midfield or a bit further up.

Not that it really matters.
      We'll find out soon enough.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #273: Jul 21, 2016 08:14:18 pm
      This is f**king pathetic.  West f**king Ham are showing more ambition than us.  While we are shopping at Saints and in the Championship.

I'm starting to feel bad about being so hard on Rodgers now.  There's no way in hell that Klopp came in and said "I want Sadio Mane, a couple of Championship players and some blokes on a free from Germany who no one wants."  no f**king way.

first Kenny, then Rodgers, now Klopp.  Too much of a coincidence that ALL THREE of them would want to sign mediocre players.  The only common denominator is FSG.  Their methods are getting old very fast.  "we can compete with anyone in the world, they said."   :roll:  We can't even compete with West Ham right now.

I want someone to ask John Henry why we can't sign top players.  Can't be because we aren't in London, or don't have Champions League.  Look at the Mancs, a disaster of a season yet they brought in Mkhitaryan, Ibrahimovic and are on the verge of bringing in Pogba.  Last time I checked Manchester isn't in London.  And they don't have CL this season.

So what's the difference?  That's right folks, the difference is---FSG just won't invest in the football side of things enough to make us a top side.   They won't pay for top players.  End of.  Sponsorships, renovations, etc, sure they'll pay for that.

You will get slaughtered for this but unfortunately, every word is true.

Good post.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,169 posts | 520 
      Reply #274: Jul 21, 2016 08:16:32 pm

I suppose now school has finished you are letting of a bit of steam, eh lad. Calm down, ask mummy to make you a ovaltine and get to bed early, it will be all better in the morning.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #275: Jul 21, 2016 08:18:45 pm

West Ham are showing more ambition than us how exactly? :D. You slag off the signing of Matip yet praise the signing of Tore on a free, typical F***ing Fed. The only posting you do on here these days is Liverpool bashing.

Who have we missed out on to West Ham may I ask?

All this from a person who wanted F***ing Diame of all players! F***ing hypocrite!!

Quick Reply