Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W10 D9 L12

Georginio Wijnaldum - Newcastle

Read 34371 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum - Newcastle
      Reply #299: Jul 22, 2016 01:36:06 am
      Has this lad got a tackle in him? Or is he not that type? Seeing people saying he best as a 10.

Not a great tackler from what I remember when I watched him, but he had a lot of energy. For sure, better attacking player than Allen, but defensive work? idk, we'll have to wait and see how Klopp uses him I guess!

It's funny how I suggested him 2 months ago with only 1 or 2 replies saying he was sh*t or a no no... and now we have him!!
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #300: Jul 22, 2016 01:38:53 am
      You're missing the point.  Kenny had Diane signed up on a free the summer of 2012 before he got sacked.  So you're also having a go at Kenny when you say Diame is sh*te,

The point is this: Diame was a very low risk signing.  Literally, we would have paid nothing for him.  He was available on a FREE that summer, and yet, instead of signing him, we chose to SPEND £15m on Joe Allen.  In the exact same summer.  I don't think Diame is a world beater.  But in our pathetic midfield at the time he would've added some grit and power.  FOR FREE.  Before we even judge Allen's career with us, if in 2012 you had the choice, Diame on a free, or Joe Allen for £15m, which would you have done?  Of course you would have f**king taken Diame!  Not because he had proven himself to be a million times more reliable than Allen, but because both were risks.  And because both are risks, but one is a risk WITHOUT A TRANSFER FEE, you would have taken the one on a free every day.

Now, ESPECIALLY when you look back at what Joe Allen did (and didn't do), I ask again, which would have been the better choice?  Even if Diame had ended up having the exact same underwhelming career with us that Allen did, well hell, it would've been ok because WE WOULD HAVE PAID NOTHING FOR HIM.

Don't you see how that changes everything?  If we are going to insist on signing Mane and Wijnaldum, alright, fine, do it, but for £60m, combined?!  Absolutely not.  why?  Because those players are both HUGE RISKS.  and we don't have enough money to be spending amounts like that on HUGE RISKS.  If we signed them each for £10m then okay, low risk, we can recoup that if it doesn't go well.  But not at those fees.  Those are fees you save for top players.  And before you start talking about inflation and market value blah blah blah, look at Mkhitaryan.  A top player.  Champions League pedigree.  went to the Mancs for LESS THAN WE PAID FOR MANE.  Without them having CL football, without them living in London.  IN THE SAME SUMMER.  So why are they going for the likes of Mkhitaryan and Pogba while we are going for Wijnaldum and Mane?

You know the answer.  It's not rocket science.  It's because the owners aren't ambitious.  End of.

You still banging on about f**king Diame (quite literally)?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,225 posts | 6352 
      Reply #301: Jul 22, 2016 01:52:47 am
      You still banging on about f**king Diame (quite literally)?

Actually he was responding to another poster who brought him up first to make a point.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #302: Jul 22, 2016 02:27:10 am
      Money has gone crazy in football so it's hard to directly quantify the value of £25M compared to say £5M 10 years ago.

However, my initial feeling is that Wijnaldum isn't the player to fire us to Premier League glory.  Don't remember Wijnaldum grabbing games by the horns and guiding Newcastle away from relegation in his 38 games for them last season.

Hope I'm wrong. 

Can someone please tell JD why he's wrong to be skeptical?

Any takers?

However, my initial feeling is that Wijnaldum isn't the player to fire us to Premier League glory.

It's his feeling. How is someone going to tell JD how to feel? :D

You're a F***ing clown.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,225 posts | 6352 
      Reply #303: Jul 22, 2016 02:37:13 am
      It's his feeling. How is someone going to tell JD how to feel? :D

You're a f**king clown.

Relax bud, somewhere along the line you've decided you are some sort of hard man. Not really sure why but you need to not take yourself (or me) so seriously. Chill out and try to enjoy yourself a bit. Have a few drinks and maybe kill that bug up your ass. In the absence of that advice, I'd suggest putting me on ignore, that way at least I don't have to listen to your incessant bleating. K thanks!
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,517 posts | 713 
      Reply #304: Jul 22, 2016 02:43:27 am
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #305: Jul 22, 2016 03:07:12 am
      Relax bud, somewhere along the line you've decided you are some sort of hard man. Not really sure why but you need to not take yourself (or me) so seriously. Chill out and try to enjoy yourself a bit. Have a few drinks and maybe kill that bug up your ass. In the absence of that advice, I'd suggest putting me on ignore, that way at least I don't have to listen to your incessant bleating. K thanks!

And you said i was lacking substance...

Every discussion you're involved in you become a bull in a China shop and try to act perspicacious.

Get your head out of your ass. Ignore request noted and done.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #306: Jul 22, 2016 03:08:16 am

Any takers?

I'll have a go :laugh:

Money has gone crazy in football so it's hard to directly quantify the value of £25M compared to say £5M 10 years ago.

However, my initial feeling is that Wijnaldum isn't the player to fire us to Premier League glory.  Don't remember Wijnaldum grabbing games by the horns and guiding Newcastle away from relegation in his 38 games for them last season.

Hope I'm wrong. 

Get behind em' lid ;)

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,225 posts | 6352 
      Reply #307: Jul 22, 2016 03:09:14 am

Look, I'm just trying to see things from your point of view lad.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #308: Jul 22, 2016 03:12:06 am
      Look, I'm just trying to see things from your point of view lad.

When you're on ignore and quote me i still get the notification i've been quoted.

Good comeback by the way. Like a petulant teenager stuck in the know-it-all phase.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #309: Jul 22, 2016 03:16:20 am
      When you're on ignore and quote me i still get the notification i've been quoted.

Good comeback by the way. Like a petulant teenager stuck in the know-it-all phase.

Nice use of scouse though calling you lad there Crouchy :laugh:
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #310: Jul 22, 2016 03:23:50 am
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #311: Jul 22, 2016 03:36:19 am
      Nice use of scouse though calling you lad there Crouchy :laugh:

"Lad" in Oz means "Chav" so i take massive offence! :D
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #312: Jul 22, 2016 03:37:17 am
      Sure knows how to weight a pass.

Wijnaldum is a damn good footballer, isn't he? even if you haven't watched him week in, week out, you can see it from the YT vids that his technique, ball control and agility are very good. It looks as if he would be best deployed in the Iniesta position/role?

Very excited about this transfer, and I feel he will be a hit!
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #313: Jul 22, 2016 06:27:47 am
      Don't remember Wijnaldum grabbing games by the horns and guiding Newcastle away from relegation in his 38 games for them last season.

Pretty sure Rafa did that.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #314: Jul 22, 2016 07:41:54 am

Any takers?

Ill have a punt...

This chap may not be a proven world beater - however he has had some decent performances for the barcodes and shows some class. Bier rated him a few years back before the clubs he was at imploded (Feyenoord is not the club it once was).

Look at Masch, he was under rated at West Ham and we turned him into an absolute beast. Could we not do the same here?

We need players who have little fear and take on defences - driving at them. This is how he plays and how Klopp plays - so ill reserve judgement on him and blindly hope for the best.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4401 
      Reply #315: Jul 22, 2016 08:02:27 am
      JD is right signing Wijnaldum individually won't propel us to the next level.

But the question is does his signing make us a better team?

That's a big yes for me so based on the reality of not being able to compete against the Mancs, City and the Chavs by throwing money at the issues we will compete by being more competitive as a team.

So individually the signings may not be world beaters but the TEAM is already looking much more balanced and ready to compete.

Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #316: Jul 22, 2016 08:43:11 am
      This is f**king pathetic.  West f**king Ham are showing more ambition than us.  While we are shopping at Saints and in the Championship

I'll ask my question again Mr. Fed..

Let me ask you this. What would have been your reaction if we had signed Wijnaldum last year instead of Milner?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #317: Jul 22, 2016 10:49:52 am
      BREAKING NEWS

Georginio Wijnaldum has completed the second part of his medical at Liverpool and all that’s left to be signed off is the paperwork, according to Sky sources.

Liverpool agreed a deal in the region of £25m with Newcastle United yesterday.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4401 
      Reply #318: Jul 22, 2016 10:53:14 am
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #319: Jul 22, 2016 11:25:04 am
      This is f**king pathetic.  West f**king Ham are showing more ambition than us.  While we are shopping at Saints and in the Championship.

I'm starting to feel bad about being so hard on Rodgers now.  There's no way in hell that Klopp came in and said "I want Sadio Mane, a couple of Championship players and some blokes on a free from Germany who no one wants."  no f**king way.

first Kenny, then Rodgers, now Klopp.  Too much of a coincidence that ALL THREE of them would want to sign mediocre players.  The only common denominator is FSG.  Their methods are getting old very fast.  "we can compete with anyone in the world, they said."   :roll:  We can't even compete with West Ham right now.

I want someone to ask John Henry why we can't sign top players.  Can't be because we aren't in London, or don't have Champions League.  Look at the Mancs, a disaster of a season yet they brought in Mkhitaryan, Ibrahimovic and are on the verge of bringing in Pogba.  Last time I checked Manchester isn't in London.  And they don't have CL this season.

So what's the difference?  That's right folks, the difference is---FSG just won't invest in the football side of things enough to make us a top side.   They won't pay for top players.  End of.  Sponsorships, renovations, etc, sure they'll pay for that.

But actually getting top, game changing players?  nope.  Not going to happen.

http://www.kitbag.com/stores/kitbag/en/c/football/football-kits/premier-league/manchester-city?CMP=KNC-Google2&portal=googleppc&network=PPC&gclid=CKe8iLjths4CFRIUGwod5NwMkg
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #320: Jul 22, 2016 11:34:10 am
      Seems like he goes missing away from home a bit, scored all his goals at home I think?

Bit worrying but there must be something that Klopp has seen in him to want him here. Intrigued as to where he will play as well, doubt we have the resources to be able to spend 20m on a squad player.
      Totally agree with you Here... He would not be in my first fifty choices, but I have to trust that Klopp knows what he wants and knows what he is doing
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #321: Jul 22, 2016 11:37:54 am
      https://twitter.com/BassTunedToRed/status/755438648951246848

*"obviously midfielder is a vague definition"

Echo update (we are yet to meet the asking price):

Liverpool have held discussions with Newcastle United over a potential move for Georginio Wijnaldum - but they are yet to meet the Magpies’ asking price.

The Magpies value the 25-year-old attacking midfielder at around the £27million mark but, despite reports that Wijnaldum was close to an Anfield move, no concrete agreement is yet in place between the clubs.

Jürgen Klopp has identified Dutch international Wijnaldum as one of his top transfer targets but, despite the midfielder’s desire to depart St James’ Park, Newcastle will not allow him to leave for lower than their own valuation.

Rafa Benitez is determined to keep hold of his prize assets, with United taking a hard-line stance on both Wijnaldum and fellow wantaway midfielder Moussa Sissoko’s futures.

It is understood that Liverpool are confident of luring Wijnaldum away from St James’ Park following initial discussions - there have even been suggestions that a shirt number has already been identified for the midfielder - but Newcastle will demand their asking price is met before they sanction a deal.
      Looks great on paper until you remember that we signed one Christian Benteke how also looked great on paper    xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Quick Reply