Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Georginio Wijnaldum - Newcastle

Read 34373 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum - Newcastle
      Reply #46: Jul 18, 2016 03:28:25 am
      Is it possible the reports are bogus and this is not actually happening?

The deal for the defender seems more like how Klopp works: You hear about it when it is almost complete.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #47: Jul 18, 2016 03:40:03 am
      Is it possible the reports are bogus and this is not actually happening?

No.

When Joyce, Barrett and Pearce all drop stories at the same time then you know it's because something is happening.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #48: Jul 18, 2016 04:51:40 am
      our transfer business is getting embarrassing.

it's also a self-fulfilling prophecy.  We don't sign top players, it shows we don't have ambition, then top players see that we have no ambition so they don't want to come to us.  Rinse/repeat.

The bad news is the message it sends to the players we DO have.  Didn't help our case with Suarez that we chose to buy Carroll/Henderson/Downing etc.  I wonder what Coutinho thinks when we finally have an alleged big first summer with Klopp in charge and we go after Championship players and more kids.

For this reason or that, I haven't come on here to peruse the thoughts of my fellow reds for a while. Truth be told, I'd forgotten all about that wiley boy federer.

Bless you. Gem.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #49: Jul 18, 2016 05:03:19 am
      This is only an alternative to Zielinski who people were ready to accept with wide open arms but not this kid. Seems Klopp prefers to wait for 1 more year or at least until Jan to get his #8 midfielder.

He is definitely building a squad with a strong assumption that we'll finish in the Top 6 which means qualifying for Europe. The team settles in this season rather than making a raft of new signings next season and then blow hot & hold in Europe (just what happened in 2014-15).

Let's say we are in the Top 4, we would probably sign 2-3 first team players next season and be done with it. The squad would be more potent and consistent than what we had in 2014-15
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,280 posts | 235 
      Reply #50: Jul 18, 2016 08:27:11 am
      ;D why is Zielinski better option? Who saw Zielinski in action? I'm sure not many knows even his name, before we supposed to sign him.

For Me Wijnaldum is great option, we need AMF who can score goals. We will have a lot different options in attacking areas.

We still need LB and top CM and we will challenge. Show some trust for Klopp. He is WC manager. When he sign Lewandowski, Kuba guess they were not WC players...
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #51: Jul 18, 2016 08:48:31 am
      I trust Klopp but...  :-\
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,480 posts | 231 
      Reply #52: Jul 18, 2016 09:06:21 am
      So we want to sign another player who happened to score against us last season.

:roll:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #53: Jul 18, 2016 09:07:25 am
      Love that on the rare occasion when we decided to break our '24 or under' policy we do it for fairly underwhelming players.

Yes - he was an ever present for Newcastle - suggests he is strong and resilient.

But Newcastle got relegated.  And I'm not sure Benitez is the kind of fella to let his 'better players' leave easily.  Warning signs.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #54: Jul 18, 2016 09:14:26 am
      I suppose he's more useful than Markovic who he will be replacing.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #55: Jul 18, 2016 09:29:27 am
      He might not be the controlling midfielder people were expecting but seems like he is not too dissimilar to the other two midfielders we have been linked to - Dahoud and Zielinski.

All of them possess one ability that is missing in our midfield, to be able to pick up the ball from deep and dribble to break that first block and he is no slouch. The other thing he does well is play quick 1 2's vital again in breaking down parked buses and he knows how to find the back of the net.

All very interesting going into the new season as this signing suggests we will be playing a mix of 4231 and 433.

He might be a bit underwhelming but maybe none of us know exactly what Klopp has planned for the season.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #56: Jul 18, 2016 09:37:21 am
      He might not be the controlling midfielder people were expecting but seems like he is not too dissimilar to the other two midfielders we have been linked to - Dahoud and Zielinski.

All of them possess one ability that is missing in our midfield, to be able to pick up the ball from deep and dribble to break that first block and he is no slouch. The other thing he does well is play quick 1 2's vital again in breaking down parked buses and he knows how to find the back of the net.

All very interesting going into the new season as this signing suggests we will be playing a mix of 4231 and 433.

He might be a bit underwhelming but maybe none of us know exactly what Klopp has planned for the season.

Good point mate.

Plus he is very versatile he can even play up top.

But at the same time £20 plus million is a lot to pay for a player who might only be used as a squad player.

Should we not just go all out to sign Dahoud if he is Klopp's primary target?

That being said if Dahoud is off the cards this season then I would prefer Wijnaldum over Zielinski.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #57: Jul 18, 2016 09:41:03 am
      Good point mate.

Plus he is very versatile he can even play up top.

But at the same time £20 plus million is a lot to pay for a player who might only be used as a squad player.

Should we not just go all out to sign Dahoud if he is Klopp's primary target?

That being said if Dahoud is off the cards this season then I would prefer Wijnaldum over Zielinski.

I think the club have decided we are not going to get Dahoud this season, BMG have continually given us the cold shoulder, and hence we have moved quickly to our next target.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #58: Jul 18, 2016 09:41:26 am
      Not seen a great deal of him, but impressed me when I have seen him. Not sure where he will fit in here, but he's not a bad player.

May be the type of player that allows us to play a 3 in the middle yet still retain an attacking threat. We have needed someone to link our midfield with our attacking players, I think he could be that player. (as I hoped Gotze would)   
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #59: Jul 18, 2016 10:34:15 am
      I think the club have decided we are not going to get Dahoud this season, BMG have continually given us the cold shoulder, and hence we have moved quickly to our next target.

I wouldn't say quickly. We were told they were going to sell him no matter what about a month ago :D
      NelisLFC
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #60: Jul 18, 2016 10:38:59 am
      Seems like everyone bases their opinion on one season Newcastle. Played CM at the 2014 WC and was the main reason PSV became champions for the first time in 5 years as a captain. Defensive stable, will score goals and make good runs.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #61: Jul 18, 2016 10:58:19 am
      Seems like everyone bases their opinion on one season Newcastle. Played CM at the 2014 WC and was the main reason PSV became champions for the first time in 5 years as a captain. Defensive stable, will score goals and make good runs.

Some sense at last!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #62: Jul 18, 2016 12:35:48 pm
      Anfield HQ ‏@AnfieldHQ  25 seconds ago
      Liverpool will have to pay at least £25million to sign Newcastle United midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum. #lfc (James Pearce)

Kiss my arse at that price.

Might as well throw an extra ten million on top and take Sissoko!!
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #63: Jul 18, 2016 12:43:33 pm
      Or maybe, Klopp knows what he is doing?

Just a thought like.
      My thoughts exactly.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #64: Jul 18, 2016 12:45:09 pm
      Didn't realise Newcastle paid £15m for him.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #65: Jul 18, 2016 12:47:40 pm
      Didn't realise Newcastle paid £15m for him.

Transfer inflation is ridiculous with the new TV deal......

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #66: Jul 18, 2016 01:05:40 pm
      Anybody think we might get him for around £20M and in return loan a couple of youngsters to the Toon?

Not many better around than Rafa for young players learning their trade.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6353 
      Reply #67: Jul 18, 2016 01:19:08 pm
      This Is Anfield ‏@thisisanfield 9m9 minutes ago
      Georginio Wijnaldum is said to be travelling to Merseyside ahead of his proposed move to Liverpool.

Well...looks like this one is happening so I hope he comes here and turns into a world beater.

Still waiting for that game changer to replace Stevie in midfield I guess. 
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #68: Jul 18, 2016 01:23:35 pm
      This Is Anfield ‏@thisisanfield 9m9 minutes ago
      Georginio Wijnaldum is said to be travelling to Merseyside ahead of his proposed move to Liverpool.

Well...looks like this one is happening so I hope he comes here and turns into a world beater.

Still waiting for that game changer to replace Stevie in midfield I guess. 

Think you'll be waiting many a year for that mate, he's a once in a generation type player.

Quick Reply