Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Georginio Wijnaldum - Newcastle

Read 34412 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum - Newcastle
      Reply #69: Jul 18, 2016 01:28:34 pm
      I'm not good at waiting ;)
      NelisLFC
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #70: Jul 18, 2016 01:30:18 pm
      I live in Eindhoven so I watched him play a lot at PSV. Played CM in a 433. Started his career as an AM but developed into a real CM at PSV and a real role model for other players. He played the entire season on a weaker position. Last seasons he really improved his physique and manages to win a lot of duels for someone his size. Knows when to make the runs and score goals. Has great stamina and a decent defense. Love to see him next to Can and think he can do wonders there. Played a great World Cup in that position and a big season at PSV.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #71: Jul 18, 2016 01:45:11 pm
      I live in Eindhoven so I watched him play a lot at PSV. Played CM in a 433. Started his career as an AM but developed into a real CM at PSV and a real role model for other players. He played the entire season on a weaker position. Last seasons he really improved his physique and manages to win a lot of duels for someone his size. Knows when to make the runs and score goals. Has great stamina and a decent defense. Love to see him next to Can and think he can do wonders there. Played a great World Cup in that position and a big season at PSV.

Has he played CM in a 2 man midfield before though? It's a different ball game than in a 3 man midfield. I appreciate the info btw.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #72: Jul 18, 2016 02:06:20 pm

Thanks. It's interesting to hear of his experience as a CM as I think he played almost as a second forward at Newcastle, or a very attacking midfielder, didn't he? Or at least it seemed that way in the few matches I saw him.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #73: Jul 18, 2016 02:14:30 pm
      It's interesting to see the differing opinions of him on the Newcastle forums. Some saying "meh, not bothered", "scored 11 goals but didn't make an impact" (contradiction if ever I saw one), "he'll be an absolute gem" etc.

For a manager who tends to like big guys in CM I'm slightly surprised at this because Wijnaldum's a bit of a short arse :D.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #74: Jul 18, 2016 02:15:11 pm
      It's interesting to see the differing opinions of him on the Newcastle forums. Some saying "meh, not bothered", "scored 11 goals but didn't make an impact" (contradiction if ever I saw one), "he'll be an absolute gem" etc.

For a manager who tends to like big guys in CM I'm slightly surprised at this because Wijnaldum's a bit of a short arse :D.

Maybe he's not being bought to play CM?  Maybe he's meant to replace Ibe.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #75: Jul 18, 2016 02:15:17 pm
      Thanks. It's interesting to hear of his experience as a CM as I think he played almost as a second forward at Newcastle, or a very attacking midfielder, didn't he? Or at least it seemed that way in the few matches I saw him.

To be fair, I saw a few Newcastle games after Benitez took over.

There were a few games he played all or part of the game in the midfield two when they played 4-2-3-1.

However, he seemed to me to be pretty ordinary and ineffectual there and would be better closer to goal. I think he maybe moved forward again in the last few games.

He certainly wasn't playing like the controlling midfielder Klopp was believed to want and Joyce even says this. Suggests we are basically getting our third choice centre midfielder or buying him to play further forward, in which case is he an improvement on any of our current options?

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #76: Jul 18, 2016 02:17:37 pm
      Maybe he's not being bought to play CM?  Maybe he's meant to replace Ibe.

Definitely not saying you're wrong but that'd be a fair bit of money for a back up guy when we have more important areas to fill and we're not in Europe.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #77: Jul 18, 2016 02:18:00 pm

Cool insight! People can argue he played CM in the 3-4-2-1 set up where De Jong was the 'destroyer'. After the first 2 games where he replaced De Guzman in the second half, he displaced the latter for the rest of the tournament.

May be he CAN do a job with Can! #TrustKlopp
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #78: Jul 18, 2016 02:20:44 pm
      Definitely not saying you're wrong but that'd be a fair bit of money for a back up guy when we have more important areas to fill and we're not in Europe.

Hey, I've  been saying all along that we've not spent our money where it really needed to go.... (LB and CM) but it doesn't matter what I think obviously, Klopp has plan  and appears to be executing it.

Just seems odd....we finally  sell Ibe for 15m and now we are bringing in another player in a similar attacking mold for 5m more?

I guess it could  just be coincidence. 
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #79: Jul 18, 2016 02:25:22 pm
      This Is Anfield ‏@thisisanfield 9m9 minutes ago
      Georginio Wijnaldum is said to be travelling to Merseyside ahead of his proposed move to Liverpool.

Well...looks like this one is happening so I hope he comes here and turns into a world beater.

Still waiting for that game changer to replace Stevie in midfield I guess.

Screw TIA! Unreliable bunch
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #80: Jul 18, 2016 02:47:47 pm
      Not keen on him personally... But I have to trust that Klopp knows what he is doing
      NelisLFC
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #81: Jul 18, 2016 03:09:08 pm
      Has he played CM in a 2 man midfield before though? It's a different ball game than in a 3 man midfield. I appreciate the info btw.

Not really. But one of the players in that midfield 3 was Maher and he plays really attacking some you could argue it has been in a lot of situations. He is a really sensible kid and struggled with his position during his younger years. But I really think under Klopp he could come to life and play the football he did while being at PSV. He won't be the player like Dahoud to make pinpoint passes from deep, but he will make runs to create chaos in the defense. It's a great team player and a good guy to have in our squad.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #82: Jul 18, 2016 03:36:20 pm
      This Is Anfield ‏@thisisanfield 9m9 minutes ago
      Georginio Wijnaldum is said to be travelling to Merseyside ahead of his proposed move to Liverpool.

Well...looks like this one is happening so I hope he comes here and turns into a world beater.

Still waiting for that game changer to replace Stevie in midfield I guess. 

Not sure why he would be travelling to Liverpool when we haven't even had an offer accepted. As TIA goes, I find them highly unreliable.
      NelisLFC
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #83: Jul 18, 2016 03:40:34 pm

Yes he did, which is why I hope he will be bought as a CM because that is definitely his best position.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #84: Jul 18, 2016 03:46:57 pm
      According go Rafa this lad is so good he can play anywhere... That's the back up goalie sorted then ;D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #85: Jul 18, 2016 03:48:13 pm
      Yes he did, which is why I hope he will be bought as a CM because that is definitely his best position.

So as his agent what percentage of the transfer deal do you get? :laugh:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #86: Jul 18, 2016 04:05:38 pm
      Another experienced player... whodda thunk it?  :laugh:

I'm sure that I was told not to expect that but I'm also sure I was told that Dahoud and Zielinski were primary targets and they were now available.

It's hard to keep up with the twists and turns as posters try to square the circle but you gotta love it.

On topic... the lad will without doubt add to the squad (in my opinion obviously).

« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2016 04:30:51 pm by bad boy bubby »
      NelisLFC
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #87: Jul 18, 2016 04:08:35 pm
      So as his agent what percentage of the transfer deal do you get? :laugh:

Just trying to share some insight since I've seen him develop from a more attacking youth player into a complete CM, where most opinions i see are based on one year at a relegation team where he was being played in the wrong position.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #88: Jul 18, 2016 04:15:33 pm
      Just trying to share some insight since I've seen him develop from a more attacking youth player into a complete CM, where most opinions i see are based on one year at a relegation team where he was being played in the wrong position.

He's messing with you mate :D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #89: Jul 18, 2016 04:38:39 pm
      So I've been reading some stuff on Reddit that Newcastle fans have said that he is one of the first players to drop his head and go missing when things aren't going well and blows hot and cold if he's not playing regularly. Odd because that doesn't sound like a Klopp mentality player.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #90: Jul 18, 2016 04:42:13 pm
      So I've been reading some stuff on Reddit that Newcastle fans have said that he is one of the first players to drop his head and go missing when things aren't going well and blows hot and cold if he's not playing regularly. Odd because that doesn't sound like a Klopp mentality player.

Not surprising playing for the "wally with a brolly"

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #91: Jul 18, 2016 04:44:21 pm
      Not surprising playing for the "wally with a brolly"

Hopefully it's just bitter barcode fans raking him over the coals.

Quick Reply