Trending Topics

Next match: Leeds v LFC [Premier League] Mon 19th Apr @ 8:00 pm
      Elland Road

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P30 W15 D7 L8

Georginio Wijnaldum Player Thread

Read 109051 times
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 598 posts | 227 
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum Player Thread
      Reply #1300: Mar 24, 2021 12:21:25 am
      Gini is a decent player who never gets injured... however he always seems to be in the place where the ball isn’t!!!! People tell me he covers every blade of grass when he plays but so does my lawnmower...
      He hasn’t had an assist in a premier league goal in nearly 3 seasons... pathetic
      Am glad he’s off to Barca and allow the future in Curtis and others to shine... he’s not prepared to sign a contract for Liverpool so don’t beg him to and certainly don’t play him cos his passing is too slow and usually sideways or backwards and creativity is nil... yer I’ll never forget the 2 goals against Barca but he did come on as sub and that’s probably his best position...
      Great stuff. Looking forward to your next brilliant analysis.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,916 posts | 103 
      Reply #1301: Mar 24, 2021 04:51:37 am
      Gini is a decent player who never gets injured... however he always seems to be in the place where the ball isn’t!!!! People tell me he covers every blade of grass when he plays but so does my lawnmower...
      He hasn’t had an assist in a premier league goal in nearly 3 seasons... pathetic
      Am glad he’s off to Barca and allow the future in Curtis and others to shine... he’s not prepared to sign a contract for Liverpool so don’t beg him to and certainly don’t play him cos his passing is too slow and usually sideways or backwards and creativity is nil... yer I’ll never forget the 2 goals against Barca but he did come on as sub and that’s probably his best position...

I kind of agree with you, but on one point, in terms of skills and ability, Wijnaldum is much more than a decent player. He's a very very good player. But it is not enough. As a midfielder, you should be having an impact on the game. He simply doesn't. He's great when the team is doing great but when we're poor, he'll never take responsibilities.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,977 posts | 2670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1302: Mar 24, 2021 07:33:59 am
      He's a good servant and helped us a lot but he is not irreplaceable by any means.

Good luck for your last two months and hope we can close your chapter with the Big ears ;)
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,946 posts | 465 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #1303: Mar 24, 2021 09:01:32 am
      Gonna be a massive loss, but never begrudge a player leaving any club after giving so many years service.

Alt best Gini.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,686 posts | 2709 
      Reply #1304: Mar 24, 2021 09:34:05 am
      Gini might not get the headlines, but he's incredibly consistent and plays a LOT of games.
      Will never forget his two goals in the semi vs Barca.
      Seems like a modest quiet guy who gets on with it, does exactly what Jürgen wants, and it suited his game.
      Big opportunity at Barca, with the coach there who knows him, can't begrudge him a change.
      If he goes, which seems likely, all the best to him.
      We'll be weaker for loosing him, and he needs to be replaced [he's a very consistent starter].

A puzzle why the club did not give him the contract he wanted then, perhaps Jürgen does not rate him quite as highly as you do.  Gini is a very solid defender who plays in midfield, he brings next to zero creativity to the team, I want proper midfielders again, ones who occasionally score a bloody goal or at least assist!!
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,503 posts | 711 
      Reply #1305: Mar 24, 2021 12:32:46 pm
      A puzzle why the club did not give him the contract he wanted then, perhaps Jürgen does not rate him quite as highly as you do.  Gini is a very solid defender who plays in midfield, he brings next to zero creativity to the team, I want proper midfielders again, ones who occasionally score a bloody goal or at least assist!!

It's no secret this team needs significant retooling over the next 2-3 years before Jürgen leaves us since a lot of our key players are entering their 30s. Gini is the first chip to fall and there will be more.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,080 posts | 3224 
      Reply #1306: Mar 24, 2021 01:32:43 pm

Perhaps you need to build your understanding that football is as much about space, and how to occupy it, as it is to do with what happens on the ball.

Without the intelligent use of space (positioning) you can't move the ball.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 27,575 posts | 2789 
      Reply #1307: Mar 25, 2021 09:46:20 am
      We'll miss him more than you might think. There's a reason he's played so many games for us under Jürgen and I hope his replacement is a good one.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,321 posts | 2141 
      Reply #1308: Mar 25, 2021 10:53:30 am
      We'll miss him more than you might think. There's a reason he's played so many games for us under Jürgen and I hope his replacement is a good one.

I agree, a massive loss
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,080 posts | 3224 
      Reply #1309: Mar 25, 2021 02:11:00 pm

If someone can't see what Gini brings to the team, then basically, they don't understand what they are looking at when they watch a match.

I know it sounds hrash, but I've given up trying to educate idiots who just want to point the finger and scapegoat players, because they can't be arsed trying to understand what's in front of them.

Gini has performed a role that goes unnoticed.
      His value will become apparrent when he's no longer there.
      Same as with Henderson.
      Alfonzo
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #1310: Mar 25, 2021 02:30:01 pm
      He do is in a different class to gini... even when Hendo not having the greatest of games he’s so influential and when he’s not there we’re like a boat without a rudder !!! Obviously your all experts on the game and can evaluate space and tactics but everyone entitled to their own opinion... klopp can’t be wrong selecting gini every game and 95% of the lads I go the game with love him but unfortunately he doesn’t do enough for me... coincidentally gini was captain when we lost our unbeaten run at home because he cannot grab a game by the scruff of its neck... furthermore he’s only created 1 assist for a premier league goal in the last 3 full seasons...
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,191 posts | 832 
      Reply #1311: Mar 25, 2021 05:07:53 pm
      Sorry but I think Gini is bang average. Has his good games, as does everybody, but his goal and assist count tell you everything. If he was a specific defensive midfielder, playing in front of the back four ok, but as an offensive player he doesn't offer enough consistently.
      I'm hoping we won't rely on what we've got when he moves on, but get a quality creative player who can rotate with what we've got, bringing something different when the standard play doesn't produce. We clearly need more versatility, rather than the same old.
       Just as a matter if interest, does anyone know what sort of contract Barca have offered him, longevity wise that is ?
      GERNS

• 9,191 posts | 832 
      Reply #1312: Mar 25, 2021 05:08:36 pm
      Sorry but I think Gini is bang average. Has his good games, as does everybody, but his goal and assist count tell you everything. If he was a specific defensive midfielder, playing in front of the back four ok, but as an offensive player he doesn't offer enough consistently.
      I'm hoping we won't rely on what we've got when he moves on, but get a quality dominant creative player who can rotate with what we've got, bringing something different when the standard play doesn't produce. We clearly need more versatility, rather than the same old.
       Just as a matter if interest, does anyone know what sort of contract Barca have offered him, longevity wise that is ?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,080 posts | 3224 
      Reply #1313: Mar 25, 2021 05:21:30 pm
      I'm hoping we won't rely on what we've got when he moves on, but get a quality dominant creative player who can rotate with what we've got, bringing something different when the standard play doesn't produce. We clearly need more versatility, rather than the same old.

He's not an attacking player.
      He supports behind and inside Robertson on the left as his main role.
      He wins the ball back and recycles it.

When our squad is fully fit Fabinho is the DM.

On our left we have (in order of attacking role) Mane, Robertson, Wijnaldum
      On our right (same order) Salah, TAA, Henderson

When we attack down the right, Wijnaldum will drift further infield, to support Fabinho, in winning the ball back and recycling possession, Mane will be in the box, Robertson at the top corner of the box.

Same goes for Henderson (+Salah, TAA) when we attack primarily down the left.

When the ball is recycled and switched to the other side, the midfielder for that side, goes out to cover behind and slightly inside the FB.

How people can't see this basic setup of Klopp's system after all these years is beyond me.

higgy_sham
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,827 posts | 581 
      Reply #1314: Mar 25, 2021 05:26:26 pm
      People saying he doesn't score or assist enough. He's obviously following instructions from Klopp.

Does alright for goals and assists when played as an attacking midfielder for Holland if I remember correctly.

Does a lot of dirty work for us too and will be missed. Love seeing players trying to get the ball back off him.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,080 posts | 3224 
      Reply #1315: Mar 25, 2021 05:32:05 pm
      People saying he doesn't score or assist enough. He's obviously following instructions from Klopp.

Does alright for goals and assists when played as an attacking midfielder for Holland if I remember correctly.

Does a lot of dirty work for us too and will be missed. Love seeing players trying to get the ball back off him.

Yep, so, so strong, and then he'll spin or turn out of a tight situation having put his opponent off balance, and play in Firmino, Mane or Robbo.
      Then you've got the opposition playing catchup, and their shape is shot.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,270 posts | 3447 
      Reply #1316: Apr 07, 2021 09:15:31 am
      Not sure why he is getting the Captains armband when he puts in efforts like last night, probably worse than Naby but because of the armband was spared the ignominy of being hooked.

Curtis, Ox or Shaq should be getting game time rather than a player wanting to leave.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,430 posts | 709 
      Reply #1317: Apr 07, 2021 11:48:35 am
      Not sure why he is getting the Captains armband when he puts in efforts like last night, probably worse than Naby but because of the armband was spared the ignominy of being hooked.

Curtis, Ox or Shaq should be getting game time rather than a player wanting to leave.

Just don't get the captain thing staying or going he wouldn't be it for me
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,686 posts | 2709 
      Reply #1318: Apr 07, 2021 12:55:27 pm

It is like a big f**k you to all the other players from Klopp, Gini is simply not a captain on the pitch, why not give it to Mo if he values it or Trent or Fabinho or Thiago or Bobby, actually pretty much anyone other than a player who wants to leave!!
      Dadorious

• 9,552 posts | 1375 
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,473 posts | 418 
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 598 posts | 227 
      Reply #1321: Apr 08, 2021 03:51:13 pm
      Yup, and as much as Trent had an awful night, him and Keita let him down a lot in terms of covering him when he was pushing forward. I think Keita was the one on Trent's side in the first half. At least until Thiago was brought on. And in the second half it was Gini who was playing there.

I know TAA made some mistakes but the whole time he was pushing forward (especially in the 1st half) and we lost the ball you could see that he was the only one running back to cover that right flank. No sight of Keita or Gini. That first goal was just written in the sky for anybody who had been watching the game for more than 5 minutes.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 27,575 posts | 2789 
      Reply #1322: Apr 09, 2021 10:05:15 am

I said a while ago if he definitely is leaving, which I think he is, his game time should be phased out.

I'm not overly bothered who get the armband but agree it's weird giving it to a player who has committed to not being here next season.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 609 posts | 471 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #1323: Apr 09, 2021 09:48:52 pm

Didn't notice that at the time but that is absolutely shocking stuff especially from the Captain, Hendo would have been in there fighting to get that away.  >:(
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,698 posts | 4676 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1324: Apr 10, 2021 02:49:59 am
      I just watched that, same didn't notice it at the time, but that is unforgivable!

Quick Reply