Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool > PSG)

Read 195364 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum Player Thread
      Reply #1357: May 23, 2021 06:27:04 pm
      Still not sure what his motivation is for leaving he plays when fit is adored by the fans and I assume he doesnt play for nothing and has his mate Virgil alongside him.
      Barcelona is a moment in our history that generations will talk about and he is right bang in the middle of it.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #1358: May 23, 2021 07:53:18 pm
      YWNA   LEGEND!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1359: May 23, 2021 07:54:51 pm
      still confused . Gini loves the club and the fans Jürgen loves Gini what has happened? its going to cost £50mil to replace him ?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,256 posts | 2821 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1360: May 23, 2021 07:57:11 pm
      still confused . Gini loves the club and the fans Jürgen loves Gini what has happened? its going to cost £50mil to replace him ?

lThat old trouble maker, money ( or agents)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1361: May 23, 2021 08:10:48 pm
      Still not sure what his motivation is for leaving he plays when fit is adored by the fans and I assume he doesnt play for nothing and has his mate Virgil alongside him.
      Barcelona is a moment in our history that generations will talk about and he is right bang in the middle of it.

Sounds like they couldn't agree a contract. Usually its years on the contract rather than the wages at his stage of career. May have wanted 4 and the club only offering 3 for example.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,190 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1362: May 23, 2021 08:16:55 pm
      Will be remembered as a legend for what he has done.

Probably best for all parties if he leaves as he is at that age where he is only going to slow down and we already have an ageing midfield which needs younger legs.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,383 posts | 2823 
      Reply #1363: May 23, 2021 08:25:33 pm
      Shame we couldn't come to an agreement to keep him here as it's clear he's loved in the dressing room and trusted on the pitch.

Leaves a legend, thanks for the memories Gini lad!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1364: May 23, 2021 09:07:06 pm
      Absolute legend. He's always been one of my favourites and I might not be happy to see him leave, but it is heartwarming to see that he does so on good terms with everyone and the fans. 5 great years of service, can only wish him all the best for the future. I'm sure he will always be welcome in Liverpool.

On a personal level, Gini is part of some of my fondest memories of Liverpool and Anfield. I was there when he scored his first Liverpool goal on a 6-1 thrashing of Watford. I was there when he sealed qualification for Champions League against Boro. And above all other games, I was there on new years eve when he scored that great header against Man City. It was my wife's first-ever game at Anfield, she loved it and it was a very special moment for us.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,431 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1365: May 23, 2021 09:08:33 pm
      Top player, even better man. All the best gini
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1366: May 23, 2021 10:14:05 pm
      Sounds like they couldn't agree a contract. Usually its years on the contract rather than the wages at his stage of career. May have wanted 4 and the club only offering 3 for example.

I suspect this is part of our transfer policy giving a player a contract with no sell on value which is exactly what has happened. I am confused because surely if Jürgen says give him his contract then thats it surely no bean counter is going to over ride Jürgen.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #1367: May 23, 2021 10:24:42 pm
      I’ll be honest, we will be a poorer side without him & ill bloody miss him...

Club should have given him what he wanted because our championships year.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,154 posts | 258 
      Reply #1368: May 24, 2021 02:15:28 am
      All the best Gini, YNWA
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,810 posts | 1402 
      Reply #1369: May 24, 2021 02:26:39 am

Reports were out there we had offered a 3yr extension. With Hendo turning 31 in a matter of days (and not going anywhere) and Thiago also 30, we cannot have another 30+ year old midfield regular on a long term contract. The team is going to get turned over in the next 2-3 years and Gini is just the first one to go.

harrydunn08

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #1370: May 24, 2021 03:20:34 am
      Top player, even better man. All the best gini

He really seems like an amazing person.  Humble, hard working, and always smiling. 

The silver lining to leaving this way is that he will always be remembered fondly by the fans. 

YNWA Gini
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,991 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1371: May 24, 2021 04:26:50 pm
      I’ll be honest, we will be a poorer side without him & ill bloody miss him...

Club should have given him what he wanted because our championships year.

What was he earning at your place Shabs and what did he want?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #1372: May 24, 2021 04:44:20 pm
      What was he earning at your place Shabs and what did he want?

F**k knows, but they should have given him what he wanted..no loyalty from the club.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1373: May 24, 2021 04:47:55 pm
      All the best Gini, good luck in the new job !!!! :)
      Will be a loss, played a shedload of matches, rarely got injured - and if you think staying fit is no big deal, we wouldn't go far with a team of Keita and Matips.
      Scored twice in our most incredible comeback against Barcelona to get to a final that we eventually won.
      Quiet, understated, didn't look for the limelight, but did a lot of work in the middle.
      Will need to be replaced - need a reliable first team choice to play his matches.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,991 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1374: May 24, 2021 04:54:13 pm
      F**k knows, but they should have given him what he wanted..no loyalty from the club.

Just googled it Shabs. According to LFC Globe it's £90,000 a week.
      CT_LFC

• 6,810 posts | 1402 
      Reply #1375: May 24, 2021 04:54:19 pm

Gini turns 31 in Nov and let's say we gave him a 4 year deal. If/when in, say, 2 years time he's burned out and significantly declined in form, you would be no different than a lot of the fans who would be out with pitchforks ready to drive him out of town. He's already been slagged off plenty the last few weeks as it is. The hypocrisy seen from fans is staggering.

Speaking of loyalty and hypocrisy, Coutinho showed none when he has dragging the shirt through the mud to force his move. I’m sure you’d take him back though.
      « Last Edit: May 24, 2021 05:04:16 pm by CT_LFC »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,534 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1376: May 24, 2021 05:14:54 pm
      Does seem like he would have stayed if we offered him contract he wanted.

Said he has no deal yet.

What happens if he cant get this big deal he wants somewhere else, could he come back and take the offer the club had already made ?. ;D
      CT_LFC

• 6,810 posts | 1402 
      Reply #1377: May 24, 2021 05:47:09 pm
      Does seem like he would have stayed if we offered him contract he wanted.

Said he has no deal yet.

What happens if he cant get this big deal he wants somewhere else, could he come back and take the offer the club had already made ?. ;D

Reports are he wants 4 years and we offered 3. Who knows if the truth is something else, but even at 3 years it is not an easy decision because you are left with 3 key midfielders in Hendo, Thiago and Gini all 30+.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #1378: May 24, 2021 05:55:05 pm
      Gini turns 31 in Nov and let's say we gave him a 4 year deal. If/when in, say, 2 years time he's burned out and significantly declined in form, you would be no different than a lot of the fans who would be out with pitchforks ready to drive him out of town. He's already been slagged off plenty the last few weeks as it is. The hypocrisy seen from fans is staggering.

Speaking of loyalty and hypocrisy, Coutinho showed none when he has dragging the shirt through the mud to force his move. I’m sure you’d take him back though.

F**k Phil.. Gini has done more for this club than that crippled c**t..

Give him the 4 years..

3 year contract with a option of another year or incorporate his signing on fee into 4 year contract once his deal expires in July.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,997 posts | 3424 
      Reply #1379: May 24, 2021 06:14:02 pm

Since when do we start giving players everything he wanted ? He was offered was the club believed to a fair contract for him and his age

Quick Reply