Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool > PSG)

Read 194372 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,232 posts | 6359 
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum Player Thread (PSG)
      Reply #1495: Jul 26, 2021 08:45:30 pm

I hadn't seen anything about that to be honest, doesn't mean it hasn't happened but I don't believe he alluded to that at all. No one should have to put up with racial abuse.

Valid (or invalid) criticism is something you are going to have to put up with if you have a presence on social media and you play for one of the best football clubs in the world. I honestly would trade spots with Gini in a heartbeat and laugh as I read every last tweet blaming me for losses.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #1496: Jul 26, 2021 08:56:19 pm
      Don't really get the reaction amongst our fans to be honest.

What he said wasn't that bad and wasn't miles off the truth. Taken a lot of sh*t has Gini in the last 5 years, more so than most considering he had been integral to our success.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,244 posts | 1652 
      Reply #1497: Jul 26, 2021 09:50:26 pm
      I hadn't seen anything about that to be honest, doesn't mean it hasn't happened but I don't believe he alluded to that at all. No one should have to put up with racial abuse.

Valid (or invalid) criticism is something you are going to have to put up with if you have a presence on social media and you play for one of the best football clubs in the world. I honestly would trade spots with Gini in a heartbeat and laugh as I read every last tweet blaming me for losses.

As I said previously  he won't see what Kevin from wherever has tweeted unless you look for it or have notifications.  Fairly much doubt he will be following any of use mere mortals so not sure how he would come across it unless as I say you go looking for it
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,697 posts | 3365 
      Reply #1498: Jul 26, 2021 10:08:58 pm
      As I said previously  he won't see what Kevin from wherever has tweeted unless you look for it or have notifications.  Fairly much doubt he will be following any of use mere mortals so not sure how he would come across it unless as I say you go looking for it

The issues is the little wet wipes just as the player using the @ symbol , easily done
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,244 posts | 1652 
      Reply #1499: Jul 26, 2021 11:19:53 pm

The issues is the little wet wipes just as the player using the @ symbol , easily done

Yep get that but there are ways to not see them and only who you follow. Anyway let's move on
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1500: Jul 27, 2021 04:05:22 am
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,102 posts | 8522 
      Reply #1501: Jul 27, 2021 07:00:04 pm
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,081 posts | 630 
      Reply #1502: Jul 27, 2021 07:39:07 pm

I agree that we need to listen. Social media abuse is a plague. I also completely believe it hurt him mentally, and might have played a part in his subpar last season with us.
      However, that doesn't mean we have to believe him when he says it's the reason he left. I mean, does he really think it's going to be any different with his new club? Sorry, but Parisian fans are know to be extremely toxic on social media, so I hope for his sake he won't be learning French too fast.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1503: Jul 28, 2021 02:56:04 pm

I'm sure both things can be true, that he got social media abuse from some fans and that in reality he left because PSG can afford to offer him twice what he was on at LFC.

The likes of Twitter and Facebook have serious issues that they continue to ignore and the platforms enpower the worst of some people,
      to say sh*t that they wouldn't dare say to your face, for fear of retribution.

LFC is not alone in the problem it has with some fans.
      PSG will be no different.

Gini was a great player for the club and won everything.
      He's ensure he got the best possible contract for him and his family,
      in what are his peak years.

All the best Gini, but Melissa and her grandstanding article can do one.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1504: Jul 28, 2021 03:08:21 pm
      I'm sure both things can be true, that he got social media abuse from some fans and that in reality he left because PSG can afford to offer him twice what he was on at LFC.

The likes of Twitter and Facebook have serious issues that they continue to ignore and the platforms enpower the worst of some people,

Could not agree more.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,697 posts | 3365 
      Reply #1505: Jul 28, 2021 03:09:47 pm

Agree on most of that - whilst the article is Prob over the top I think the overriding message is right
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1506: Jul 28, 2021 03:16:43 pm

Agree on most of that - whilst the article is Prob over the top I think the overriding message is right

I don't believe the chief reaction was to tell him he was wrong. Yes I've seen both reactions online.
      A lot of the time it's been people supportive of Gini when they've seen someone negative about him.

Secondly, I don't believe saying he left because he's getting twice as much at PSG invalidates what he said.

So, no, I don't believe her "message" is right. It's more emotive positioning by reporters to get themselves engagment
      for the very same thing they're preaching about.

Edit:
      I won't labour on it too much but I'll finish on this.

It's easier to put out a narrative that lays some of the blame at the feet of supporters than it is to
      admit that the wage structure at LFC means that players leaving in the way Gini did is club policy
      and some of the players, whether they love it here or not, will have to leave to get a last big pay deal.
      « Last Edit: Jul 28, 2021 03:32:04 pm by racerx34 »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,697 posts | 3365 
      Reply #1507: Jul 28, 2021 03:35:30 pm
      I don't believe the chief reaction was to tell him he was wrong. Yes I've seen both reactions online.
      A lot of the time it's been people supportive of Gini when they've seen someone negative about him.

Secondly, I don't believe saying he left because he's getting twice as much at PSG invalidates what he said.

So, no, I don't believe her "message" is right. It's more emotive positioning by reporters to get themselves engagment

Edit:

It's easier to put out a narrative that lays some of the blame at the feet of supporters than it is to
      admit that the wage structure at LFC means that players leaving in the way Gini did is club policy
      and some of the players, whether they love it here or not, will have to leave to get a last big pay deal.

Yes can’t argue against that 👍
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,880 posts | 2695 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1508: Jul 28, 2021 04:52:02 pm

Yes can’t argue against that 👍

That must be a first.  :f_whistle:
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1509: Jul 28, 2021 05:26:55 pm

Edit:

The only issue I have is "last big pay deal".
      Even if he took less money at LFC, he would never want for anything for the rest of his life.

At this stage, with the money he's earned, is there really THAT much difference that a couple of million more will make?

Then he'll have plenty of other opportunities in coaching, punditry or basically whatever he wants to do.

I could understand it years ago, when players made a lot less, but these days, it doesn't really cut it as a reason for me, for the guys at the top (of which Gini is one).

If he really wanted to stay here, he would have, and his excuses sound a bit hollow, like he doesn't want to be accused of being greedy.
      He earns more in one year than 99% of people will see in their lifetime.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,232 posts | 6359 
      Reply #1510: Jul 28, 2021 06:20:55 pm
      Even if he took less money at LFC, he would never want for anything for the rest of his life.

At this stage, with the money he's earned, is there really THAT much difference that a couple of million more will make?

Then he'll have plenty of other opportunities in coaching, punditry or basically whatever he wants to do.

I could understand it years ago, when players made a lot less, but these days, it doesn't really cut it as a reason for me, for the guys at the top (of which Gini is one).

If he really wanted to stay here, he would have, and his excuses sound a bit hollow, like he doesn't want to be accused of being greedy.

That's what's always made me chuckle when people say these player are after (and deserve) one last payday...you mean one last chunk of money, the amount which most people in their lives will never see if they lived for 400 years? Just like when people made it out that it would have been his "dream" to play for Barca. Even though when PSG tossed more money at him he swerved Barca real quick like. Then goes on to complain about not being loved at Liverpool?

I can't think of someone that's been more loved and then turned it around to have a crack at a super small percentage of people in the fanbase. It's actually a bit laughable.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,197 posts | 1205 
      Reply #1511: Jul 28, 2021 07:48:21 pm
      You could call me a c*nt every day for the rest of my life if I was on £150k a week. You could get everyone on Twitter to do the same and I would be quite at ease with myself. Bring on the bas**rds  >:D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1512: Jul 29, 2021 10:57:37 am

To be blunt about it, players and/or their agents are very good at getting a narrative out when they leave.
      It mostly amounts to "I wanted to stay but... so I had to leave".
      In reality it boils down to "I got more money moving to Club X".

So, while there are problems with social media engagement to some extent,
      I won't be losing any sleep over, as you said, a player earning more in a year than I'll see in a lifetime.

I have a bigger issue with the club lackies writing articles grandstanding to fans as if it was the fans fault the player left.

Don't like social media? Stay off it.
      Want to use it to show us your best life and show off your latest cars/boots? Then hire someone to deal with the rest of the sh*te.

"He spoke and we should have listened"?  **** Off
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1513: Oct 11, 2021 02:31:29 pm
      Gini has done an interview saying that he isn’t happy with his situation at PSG and not playing as regular as he’d hoped. He’s currently their 7th choice midfielder, playing a total of 149mins so far.

Too bad.

https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1447525342319624194?s=21

https://twitter.com/aiiradhi/status/1446898229837275136?s=21

« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2021 02:39:16 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,232 posts | 6359 
      Reply #1514: Oct 11, 2021 02:42:07 pm
      Interesting...if he was still here he'd be a penciled in starter and people would be singing songs about him. But hey....money.....
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1515: Oct 11, 2021 02:46:46 pm
      Interesting...if he was still here he'd be a penciled in starter and people would be singing songs about him. But hey....money.....

Messi is the reason why Gini ain’t getting the game time..
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,232 posts | 6359 
      Reply #1516: Oct 11, 2021 02:49:24 pm
      Messi is the reason why Gini ain’t getting the game time..

Doesn't appear that way. There's literally 6 other cats getting more game time in his position than him.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #1517: Oct 11, 2021 02:58:12 pm
      Gini has done an interview saying that he isn’t happy with his situation at PSG and not playing as regular as he’d hoped. He’s currently their 7th choice midfielder, playing a total of 149mins so far.

Too bad.

https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1447525342319624194?s=21

https://twitter.com/aiiradhi/status/1446898229837275136?s=21

File that under "Tough sh*t Gini".

Quick Reply