Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool > PSG)

Read 194313 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum Player Thread
      Reply #299: Apr 02, 2017 11:45:33 pm
      Couldn't be more delighted with this signing. Has been excellent throughout and has clearly added real value to the team.

£25m well spent.

Didn't think he was an improvement or a downgrade to Allen, but how wrong was I! I too am happy we signed him!
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,480 posts | 231 
      Reply #300: Apr 09, 2017 01:47:21 pm
      Coming along very nicely - now has the 2nd highest league assists for us. Hard to believe he was playing in a team which got relegated.
      « Last Edit: Apr 09, 2017 01:53:55 pm by nelioneil »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #301: Apr 09, 2017 03:00:39 pm
      Wijnaldum is probably the most bipolar player I've seen. He will do something really idiotic then genius in the same game. Two games in a row!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #302: Apr 09, 2017 06:42:14 pm
      Wijnaldum is probably the most bipolar player I've seen. He will do something really idiotic then genius in the same game. Two games in a row!

Not bipolar, too harsh. I would say in football term, do not let Gigi near our box.  :whip: He is not a defensive midfielder for sure. He is brilliant near their box :P
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #303: Apr 11, 2017 02:25:31 pm
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #304: May 01, 2017 10:22:57 pm
      Has really gone into his shell the last few matches visibly hiding from taking any responsibility.

He has had a ok season but have felt through the season we can do better and he should be a bench option.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #305: May 03, 2017 05:00:23 pm

That's brilliant!!  Got a good laugh sitting in the airport watching that :)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #306: May 07, 2017 03:30:58 pm
      I rarely come in to match threads to criticise right after a game but this c**t can do one.

Invisible. AGAIN. F***ing imagine RUNNING AWAY FROM THE BALL. At home. At 0-0. Against F***ing Southampton.

F**k off you smiling c**t. All the talk for a month about big games and pressure and the c**t goes hiding as soon as a game is in the balance.

If this c**t is in our starting side next season, you know where we're finishing and it ain't F***ing first.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #307: May 07, 2017 04:25:12 pm
      Should have been the first one hooked today absolute shirker for responsibility.
      DanRed44
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts | 18 
      Reply #308: May 07, 2017 05:22:56 pm
      Gini only seems to turn up against the so called bigger sides, against these lesser sides he offers f*ck all, gets the ball, and passes 5 yards to a player of lesser ability, I agree, shirker, this great club needs better than this underperforming Muppet
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #309: May 07, 2017 06:19:21 pm
      In his defense, he is neither a creative or goal scoring midfielder, same with Can when played in the #8 role. They are both industrial players. We need one or the other, not 2 + a DM.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #310: May 07, 2017 06:39:52 pm
      In his defense, he is neither a creative or goal scoring midfielder, same with Can when played in the #8 role.

Interesting defence mate, I believe you have to be one or the other to be in any midfield. Understand occasionally you need a 'water carrier' but Gini has shown in the past that he can get in the box and beyond the striker, today he really wasn't doing any of that. I don't know why these runs seem to stop when we're against a bus parker yet when we're against a team that likes to extend more he's happy to.

Sure the percentages will be lower in terms of success rate but the amount of defensive attention these runs would get would justify it even if he wasn't getting anywhere near the ball. Having said that I thought Origi could have played all week against that defence and not scored so Gini should have seen this too and took some bloody responsibility. As it was he seemed to hide more and pass the buck far too easily.

I'd have no problem whatsoever seeing him drop to the bench next season and a much more creative player who can also help the defence in some capacity come in. Much like Si I believe that Coutinho's best position is actually the one we're playing Gini in, if we brought in someone on the left side of our attack we would be a much bigger threat moving Cou back into the midfield 3 imo.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #311: May 07, 2017 06:55:04 pm
      Interesting defence mate, I believe you have to be one or the other to be in any midfield. Understand occasionally you need a 'water carrier' but Gini has shown in the past that he can get in the box and beyond the striker, today he really wasn't doing any of that. I don't know why these runs seem to stop when we're against a bus parker yet when we're against a team that likes to extend more he's happy to.

I'd have no problem whatsoever seeing him drop to the bench next season and a much more creative player who can also help the defence in some capacity come in. Much like Si I believe that Coutinho's best position is actually the one we're playing Gini in, if we brought in someone on the left side of our attack we would be a much bigger threat moving Cou back into the midfield 3 imo.

I think he is the type of midfield player that holds on to the middle well, similar to Vieira, not quite a goal scorer, pure defensive midfielder or creator, unfortunately, I think Can is similar too.

I think Wijnaldum and Can should slug it out for the #8 position with Coutinho or Lallana playing that 3rd midfield role.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #312: May 07, 2017 07:03:22 pm
      I think he is the type of midfield player that holds on to the middle well, similar to Vieira, not quite a goal scorer, pure defensive midfielder or creator, unfortunately, I think Can is similar too.

I think Wijnaldum and Can should slug it out for the #8 position with Coutinho or Lallana playing that 3rd midfield role.

Fair enough mate, I'd agree they're similar but Emre is at least noticeable in games. Gini has a horrible ability to be forgotten in a game. The commentator will same his name occasionally and you'll have forgot he was even playing for 30 minutes.

Occasionally he'll have a great game, but they are bloody few and far between.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #313: May 07, 2017 07:14:20 pm
      Fair enough mate, I'd agree they're similar but Emre is at least noticeable in games. Gini has a horrible ability to be forgotten in a game. The commentator will same his name occasionally and you'll have forgot he was even playing for 30 minutes.

Couldn't agree more. I'd actually favour Can over Wijnaldum atm. Can really does put in a good shift even if he isn't having the best of days, where as Wijnaldum as you mention, disappears!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6695 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #314: May 07, 2017 10:31:51 pm
      I actually forgot he was out there.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #315: May 08, 2017 02:50:54 am
      Agree he was AWOL today and has been fading away for a few matches now. For anyone who has criticized Jordan Henderson in the past for playing too many negative balls, they should apologize to Jordan if they didn't do the same x10 to Gini. It seemed like he didn't play a forward pass all day and off the ball he was terribly inactive. Disappointing.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #316: May 08, 2017 03:42:42 am
      He's knackered just like Milner and the rest of the squad, between injuries and a bench of kids the starting XI are getting played into the ground.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #317: May 08, 2017 07:18:37 am
      He's just not a front foot player. Should be our Park Ji-Sung that you run into the ground in the tough matches but no way should he be playing when the onus is all on Liverpool to make the play because he doesn't offer anything.

Couldn't agree more. I'd actually favour Can over Wijnaldum atm. Can really does put in a good shift even if he isn't having the best of days, where as Wijnaldum as you mention, disappears!

I've been saying this all season with him, usually to be told "he does loads of work you can't see from watching on TV"  ???
      « Last Edit: May 08, 2017 07:23:07 am by Alfie2510 »
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #318: May 12, 2017 11:41:57 am
      A totally average player who probably needs a couple of great players around him to improve. Inconsistent and doesn't play with any authority or intent.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #319: May 15, 2017 06:59:38 pm
      Just read he has the most assists this season for us. Well in Gini.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #320: May 15, 2017 07:05:22 pm
      Just read he has the most assists this season for us. Well in Gini.

You counting his slice that went to Origi and the one off the bar that Coutinho picked up?

Stats eh  :D
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #321: May 15, 2017 11:16:14 pm
      You counting his slice that went to Origi and the one off the bar that Coutinho picked up?

Stats eh  :D
      Thought the same he did actually assist Coutinhos second he was the last player to flick it through to him. Mind you he still had 2 men to round up but I think that counts.

Quick Reply