Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool > PSG)

Read 195314 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum Player Thread
      Reply #92: Aug 07, 2016 01:21:00 pm
      That's very true and that's what my son and I were saying yesterday.

Just voicing my concerns because the Toon fans said he faded as the season went on. If we get the Gigi of the early season we're in business.

I'm confident Klopp can keep him going.
      OK, hopeful  :laugh:
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #93: Aug 09, 2016 05:52:58 pm
      That's why there's this place called Melwood that exists. I'm so glad Klopp didn't make Melwood a holiday resort (there was so much videos on head tennis before that I thought the players were in a holiday resort) and he's never a player's best friend in there. We've so much confidence that he imposes discipline and will whip all the boys into shape. I'm sure the team will get there. The understanding is developing. Surely we can see some of it as things stand. This player included.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #94: Aug 09, 2016 09:22:53 pm
      (there was so much videos on head tennis before

Ironic really, for a team that done so much heading of the ball in training, we were awful at winning headers
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #95: Aug 09, 2016 09:46:04 pm
      Ironic really, for a team that done so much heading of the ball in training, we were awful at winning headers

The headers they showed in that training game video just after training began....I never was convinced this was meant to improve heading. The players would toss the ball up in the air for someone else to head. How does that help someone meet a ball with the kind of pace you would face in a match? I thought it was more about moving off the ball, making self available, general fitness and team spirit kind of things.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #96: Aug 11, 2016 06:57:22 pm
      Wijnaldum compared to Pogba, Xhaka, Kante and Gundogan

http://gms.cachefly.net/images/16/08/11/c86d95392240a349eaf950ebd4f4aeb2/690.jpg
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #97: Aug 12, 2016 09:21:49 am

That's pretty impressive. I get the feeling this transfer has been overlooked slightly by everyone. On all the predicted starting 11 posts Wijnaldum has been included in few but with stats like that and the fee then surely Klopp will be looking to him as a starter? Not sure who is going to make way though.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #98: Aug 12, 2016 09:41:21 am

Those stats are stupid. 2 of them are holding midfielders, another isn't a renowned goalscorer anyway plus he has been injured a lot and Pogba is a box to box midfielder. 

That's pretty impressive. I get the feeling this transfer has been overlooked slightly by everyone. On all the predicted starting 11 posts Wijnaldum has been included in few but with stats like that and the fee then surely Klopp will be looking to him as a starter? Not sure who is going to make way though.

It's impressive that an attacking midfielder scored more than a holding midfielder (Xhaka, Kante)?
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #99: Aug 12, 2016 09:56:55 am
      Those stats are stupid. 2 of them are holding midfielders, another isn't a renowned goalscorer anyway plus he has been injured a lot and Pogba is a box to box midfielder. 

It's impressive that an attacking midfielder scored more than a holding midfielder (Xhaka, Kante)?

No its impressive that Wijnaldum scored more goals than any other player.
      It's also impressive that he had the second highest number of assists after Pogba.
      It's also impressive that he created the second highest amount of chances.
      It's also impressive he had the second highest passing accuracy.
      It's also impressive he made more successful tackles than the other 4.

So because he played further up the pitch his tackling success rate and passing success rate is irrelevant?
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #100: Aug 12, 2016 10:20:13 am

I did not ad the article from GiveMeSport but to cater for that they compared others stats which are important for CM or DM too...
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #101: Aug 12, 2016 10:32:42 am
      No its impressive that Wijnaldum scored more goals than any other player.
      It's also impressive that he had the second highest number of assists after Pogba.
      It's also impressive that he created the second highest amount of chances.
      It's also impressive he had the second highest passing accuracy.
      It's also impressive he made more successful tackles than the other 4.

So because he played further up the pitch his tackling success rate and passing success rate is irrelevant?

You seriously think it's impressive that an attacking midfielder scored more than a holding midfielder? :lmao: You'd be impressed if Hazard scored more than Kante this season would you? Give me a break! Of course he's going to create more chances, he played far further up the pitch than the others.

I think this has give me an idea of how seriously I can take you. Not very.

I'm happy with the signing of Wijnaldum but let's not base our opinions on useless stat comparisons.

friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #102: Aug 12, 2016 11:45:01 am
      You seriously think it's impressive that an attacking midfielder scored more than a holding midfielder? :lmao: You'd be impressed if Hazard scored more than Kante this season would you? Give me a break! Of course he's going to create more chances, he played far further up the pitch than the others.

I think this has give me an idea of how seriously I can take you. Not very.

I'm happy with the signing of Wijnaldum but let's not base our opinions on useless stat comparisons.

You missed the point again, it also includes his tackling and passing accuracy. Compared to someone like, I dunno, a defensive midfielder who played almost every game last season, lets say Kante,  that's pretty good going too.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #103: Aug 12, 2016 12:09:52 pm
      Gigi is the big unknown for this season for many I think, he looked good at Newcastle last season and I like that he will bring goals to the team BUT he isn't someone who necessarily gets you excited and neither has he really shined in pre-season so the response has been fairly luke warm thus far. I think he is a quality player and think he will work best as the furthest forward in a midfield three. It'll be really interesting to see how Klopp uses him and whether he can replicate the goals and assists he had at Newcastle last season, if he can we're in good shape. A lot depends on his success though.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #104: Aug 12, 2016 01:37:09 pm
      I was quite pleased when we signed Gigi, I had seen him a few times and he is a quality player. My only worry is that like too many of our midfield he flits in and out of games and rarely dominates.

I think along with Coutinho, Firmino and Lallana he needs to add consistency to his game if we are going to be title challengers. Aggressive passer who always looks to play it forward so his passing percentage may not be in the high 80's but I think he will get plenty assists. 

Good player who once he settles can become a game changer for us.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,329 posts | 6384 
      Reply #105: Aug 12, 2016 02:07:05 pm
      So far he looks to be quicker version of Jordan Henderson. Jury still out on whether that would be  a good or bad thing.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,694 posts | 3713 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #106: Aug 14, 2016 09:12:18 pm
      Nice assist for Lallana's goal but needs to improve. Decent debut.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #107: Aug 14, 2016 09:13:34 pm
      he was so much better second half much better than previous games definitely a player in there.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #108: Aug 14, 2016 09:16:34 pm
      Debut assist, can't complain too much at that. Well in lad, now build on that.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #109: Aug 14, 2016 11:15:21 pm
      I really like this player. I think he's got a good bit of class.

If the crowd get behind him at Anfield, he'll improve drastically.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #110: Aug 14, 2016 11:21:31 pm
      I thought he looked out of his depth in preseason I really wasn't sure what we had bought. Today in the first half he again was low key not getting involved but second half I thought he was excellent and involved in a lot of our good stuff .
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #111: Aug 14, 2016 11:41:16 pm
      I thought he looked out of his depth in preseason I really wasn't sure what we had bought. Today in the first half he again was low key not getting involved but second half I thought he was excellent and involved in a lot of our good stuff .

I'd agree with that, was so much better in the 2nd half. I think he should be playing at the top of the triangle rather than in the two as was the case today, get Can alongside Henderson and play Gigi slightly further forward
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,329 posts | 6384 
      Reply #112: Aug 14, 2016 11:44:26 pm
      Still struggling to see what he brings that we didn't already have. Hopefully as he settles in more he will get better.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,020 posts | 528 
      Reply #113: Aug 15, 2016 09:52:42 am
      Still struggling to see what he brings that we didn't already have. Hopefully as he settles in more he will get better.
      A wee surge from deeper in the midfield and more goal threat.

The question to me is whether he can do the tackling, pressing etc well enough to play as a CM. Not seen enough of him yet to say, but if he can then I think he will definitely make us harder to defend against by running into the box from deep when everybody else is being picked up.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,546 posts | 725 
      Reply #114: Aug 16, 2016 11:50:15 am
      I thought he did alright and his assist was great?

Not sure why our fans hate our players so much.

Quick Reply