Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool > PSG)

Read 192684 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool > PSG)
      Jul 22, 2016 07:03:41 pm
      Liverpool complete Georginio Wijnaldum capture

David Lynch
      @LynchMDavid

Liverpool Football Club have today completed the signing of Netherlands international Georginio Wijnaldum from Newcastle United.

The 25-year-old has signed a long-term deal with the Reds to seal a return to the Premier League and will now jet out to join the club's ongoing tour of the United States.

After completing a switch to Anfield on Friday, he told Liverpoolfc.com: “I’m really excited because Liverpool is a big club with a great history and it’s always a dream to play for as big a club as Liverpool.”

He also commented on the prospect of working alongside Jürgen Klopp, adding: “[He seems] a great man - from the outside - because I don’t know how he works yet and I have to work with him.

“[But] I always love to watch him, his passion as a trainer, I like how he enjoys the game. He gives something back to the group [with his passion] so I look forward to working with him.”

Wijnaldum scored 11 goals in 38 league appearances in his maiden season in England following a move from PSV Eindhoven last summer.

The Dutchman, who also previously represented Feyenoord, has 30 international caps to his name.

He joins Loris Karius, Joel Matip, Marko Grujic, Sadio Mane, Ragnar Klavan and Alex Manninger as a fresh face in Klopp's squad ahead of the 2016-17 campaign.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/228707-liverpool-complete-georginio-wijnaldum-capture
      « Last Edit: Jun 27, 2022 11:13:16 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum Player Thread9
      Reply #1: Jul 22, 2016 07:05:11 pm
      I like the mention of the lean :D

Welcome to the club Gini! Looking forward to seeing him play and where he will play. I can see a lot of surprises coming.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2: Jul 22, 2016 07:05:25 pm
      I get the feeling we will be playing like a pack of hungry Wolves this season and this lad is going to be a great buy
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #3: Jul 22, 2016 07:07:37 pm
      A good quality addition in my opinion. Welcome to Liverpool Georginio.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #4: Jul 22, 2016 07:13:44 pm
      Klopp: Wijnaldum can be a great player for us

Sam Williams
      @SamWilliams14

Jürgen Klopp is delighted to have Georginio Wijnaldum on board at Liverpool, with the boss declaring: “I think he can be a great player for us.”

The Reds completed the signing of Wijnaldum from Newcastle United on Friday, with the Netherlands international putting pen to paper on a long-term deal before flying out to meet up with his new teammates in the USA.

The 25-year-old is Liverpool’s seventh new arrival of the summer, and Klopp is excited about the prospect of working with the versatile midfielder - who he says has the appetite to improve further at Anfield.

"I am so happy that we have got him and he can join us now in the USA,” the manager told Liverpoolfc.com.

“I think he can be a great player for us. He has already shown some really good moments in his career but the most exciting and important thing for me and my staff is that there is still so much extra to come from him. 

“When I talked to him I could tell that he knows we have to work together to get this level out of him to all be successful for the team.”

Wijnaldum impressed in his first season in England following his move from PSV Eindhoven to Newcastle last summer, scoring 11 goals in 38 Premier League appearances despite the Magpies’ relegation.

And Klopp expects the experience of his new No.5 to stand him in good stead at Liverpool.

The boss added: “He has played a lot for his country already, been captain at a young age in Holland and also been involved in a tough Premier League season so this experience gives him a good foundation for the challenge here - which everybody knows is huge! 

“He can play a few positions for us and players that come through the Dutch system usually have a good tactical understanding and flexibility. That's really important. 

“I can't wait to get him on the training pitch and for the fans to see him play in a Liverpool shirt."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/228713-klopp-wijnaldum-can-be-a-great-player-for-us
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #5: Jul 22, 2016 07:17:08 pm
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #6: Jul 22, 2016 07:17:14 pm
      Welcome to the club...you better be good ;D

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #7: Jul 22, 2016 07:20:33 pm
      A 1 in 3 goal scorer as a midfielder what sort of signing is this!

Welcome Georginio and hopefully you carry on the same trajectory
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #8: Jul 22, 2016 07:23:00 pm

Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #9: Jul 22, 2016 07:42:08 pm
      Not sure how he is as a CM but if he's good then I think Can Grujic and this fella can be an absolute force!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #10: Jul 22, 2016 07:43:04 pm
      The Reds completed the signing of Wijnaldum from Newcastle United

And Klopp expects the experience of his new No.5 to stand him in good stead at Liverpool.

The boss added: “He has played a lot for his country already, been captain at a young age in Holland and also been involved in a tough Premier League season so this experience gives him a good foundation for the challenge here - which everybody knows is huge!

Love it!  :laugh: :nod:
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #11: Jul 22, 2016 07:43:12 pm
      Welcome Georgie. Best of luck!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #12: Jul 22, 2016 07:45:05 pm

I see what you did there.  ;D
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #13: Jul 22, 2016 07:52:36 pm

Yeah I think my biggest problem with this signing will be spelling his name right.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #14: Jul 22, 2016 07:55:34 pm
      Yeah I think my biggest problem with this signing will be spelling his name right.

I swear I've seen him referred to as Gigi....that should be easy enough.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #15: Jul 22, 2016 08:08:16 pm
      I think this is a great signing, can't wait to see him play in midfield and take control of it :D
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum Player Thread
      Reply #16: Jul 22, 2016 08:32:33 pm
      Liverpool complete Georginio Wijnaldum capture

David Lynch
      @LynchMDavid

Liverpool Football Club have today completed the signing of Netherlands international Georginio Wijnaldum from Newcastle United.

The 25-year-old has signed a long-term deal with the Reds to seal a return to the Premier League and will now jet out to join the club's ongoing tour of the United States.

After completing a switch to Anfield on Friday, he told Liverpoolfc.com: “I’m really excited because Liverpool is a big club with a great history and it’s always a dream to play for as big a club as Liverpool.”

He also commented on the prospect of working alongside Jürgen Klopp, adding: “[He seems] a great man - from the outside - because I don’t know how he works yet and I have to work with him.

“[But] I always love to watch him, his passion as a trainer, I like how he enjoys the game. He gives something back to the group [with his passion] so I look forward to working with him.”

Wijnaldum scored 11 goals in 38 league appearances in his maiden season in England following a move from PSV Eindhoven last summer.

The Dutchman, who also previously represented Feyenoord, has 30 international caps to his name.

He joins Loris Karius, Joel Matip, Marko Grujic, Sadio Mane, Ragnar Klavan and Alex Manninger as a fresh face in Klopp's squad ahead of the 2016-17 campaign.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/228707-liverpool-complete-georginio-wijnaldum-capture

Erm, what happened to my OP like?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #17: Jul 22, 2016 08:45:52 pm

Obviously not up to the required standard mate. You did ask for a Mod to fix it... they did :) 
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #18: Jul 22, 2016 08:47:36 pm
      Obviously not up to the required standard mate. You did ask for a Mod to fix it... they did :) 

You've not seen the modified Steven Gerrard Player Thread OP then...
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #19: Jul 22, 2016 08:50:42 pm
      You've not seen the modified Steven Gerrard Player Thread OP then...

I hadn't but I have now ... WTF !
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #20: Jul 22, 2016 08:53:06 pm
      His smile is wonderful.

Welcome mate. I for one look forward to seeing you work with Kloppmeister.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #21: Jul 22, 2016 08:55:48 pm
      Looking interested, and at other times slightly pensive has obviously replaced leaning on a wall at Melwood.

Welcome, and look forwards to seeing what you can do.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #22: Jul 22, 2016 09:13:04 pm
      dont think rafa would sell us a dud

Quick Reply