Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool > PSG)

Read 194259 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum Player Thread
      Reply #46: Jul 23, 2016 03:20:19 pm
      I don't know if it's been posted before elsewhere but this [full article] is an interesting and enlightening read...

Klopp - Liverpool new boy Wijnaldum is a complete footballer who will live up to price tag
      “He’s a complete footballer,” Klopp told the ECHO.

“He’s good with the ball, he’s really fit, he can run a lot, he’s quick in making decisions and he’s a threat for the goal.

“He’s quite experienced, he was captain of PSV and he became a champion there - he knows about winning championships.

“He’s had some bad moments in his career with injuries and then relegation with Newcastle. No career goes without scars.

“I’ve known him as a player since he was 16 or 17 when I first watched him play for Rotterdam.

“I really like following the journey of these guys, especially the special players and he’s a special player.

“He went from Rotterdam to Feyenoord to Eindhoven. It’s been a good development. He can help us and we can help him.

“He can bring a few things into the team that we didn’t have before.”...

Despite strong interest from Tottenham and Everton, the discussion ended with the 25-year-old making it clear that Anfield was his preferred destination. Klopp had sold him his vision for the future.

A deal between the clubs was quickly thrashed out with Liverpool agreeing to pay Newcastle £23million up front and a further £2million in add-ons.

“I didn’t know him as a person before the meeting,” Klopp said.

“We had a talk and I think after this talk we both knew we wanted to work together.

“Obviously, I couldn’t just say: ‘Ask for whatever money you want, I’ll do the rest with our owners or whatever...’

“The deal still had to be agreed but we both knew we wanted to do this.

Read more here: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/klopp-liverpool-new-boy-wijnaldum-11653878

Kudos for Jürgen's openness and transparency on transfers... changed times indeed.  :nod:
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #47: Jul 23, 2016 03:41:58 pm
      I've been offline for about a week and we turn around and sign Wijnaldum very quickly. Great signing!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #48: Jul 23, 2016 04:42:46 pm
      I've been offline for about a week and we turn around and sign Wijnaldum very quickly. Great signing!

Maybe you could go ahead and go offline for another week so we can take care of our Moreno issue. Thanks.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #49: Jul 23, 2016 04:44:32 pm
      Maybe you could go ahead and go offline for another week so we can take care of our Moreno issue. Thanks.

:lmao:
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,480 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #50: Jul 23, 2016 06:56:04 pm
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #51: Jul 23, 2016 08:46:22 pm

You asked me a question on another tread about the same player...The question being " How does Benteke in any way resemble Wijnaldum?"... I was referring to his stats and saying that Benteke's stats also looked good on paper...

I do not know if he will suit our style of play. But I trust Klopp to know what he is doing
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #52: Jul 23, 2016 09:19:34 pm
      Well he's arrived in the U.S. anyway...

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/756941483278643200
      « Last Edit: Aug 01, 2016 09:21:56 am by JD »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #53: Jul 23, 2016 10:09:50 pm
      Well he's arrived in the U.S. anyway...

Tweet gone by looks of it. Serves you right for having my player thread off :D

https://twitter.com/ViktorFagerLFC/status/756950832680144896

What's your Twitter name bud?
      « Last Edit: Aug 01, 2016 09:22:33 am by JD »
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #54: Jul 23, 2016 10:18:02 pm
      Tweet gone by looks of it. Serves you right for having my player thread off :D

https://twitter.com/ViktorFagerLFC/status/756950832680144896

What's your Twitter name bud?

That had nothing to do with me mate :D. I don't have a Twitter account, only really go on for the transfer stuff.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #55: Jul 23, 2016 10:19:40 pm
      That had nothing to do with me mate :D. I don't have a Twitter account, only really go on for the transfer stuff.

Ah okay. And I know, was only messing. Karma really as it happened to me at Huyton's expenses for the Klopp thread :)
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #56: Jul 24, 2016 03:24:45 pm
      Really chuffed with this signing as well. Our midfield lacked creativity and a goals threat and this lad seems to have plenty of that. He's two footed, he likes to get forward and can also play in the wider positions. I suspect he is likely to play as the furthest forward in a 3 rather than as one of a 2 but that will depend on the opposition and whether we are playing home and away. If he can match his goals tally of last year we will be in a very good place. Really like this signing.

When are we gona get some Steel in our midfield? Our midfield could go the way of Arsenals. Maybe plenty of goals but also a soft touch that goes missing in tight gritty games. Henderson, Milner and Can certainly are not up to it. We are gona need that balance of Silk & Steel , hopefully another player is on his way in and a few more on their way out.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #57: Jul 24, 2016 05:54:44 pm
      Landed in the US at 1pm and Klopp had him training a few hours later.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #58: Jul 25, 2016 12:26:26 am
      Landed in the US at 1pm and Klopp had him training a few hours later.

:D :D :D Love it!!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #59: Jul 25, 2016 12:55:59 am
      Love it :D

Although in JK's defence, training when you're tired builds up your fitness much quicker and your resilience grows.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #60: Jul 25, 2016 12:57:50 am
      So much for "maybe, we'll see" to training that day :D Bet he said that to make sure Wijnaldum got an earlier flight.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #61: Jul 25, 2016 02:59:27 am
      it's really getting quite pathetic how some are making it seem like this is a huge signing.

We're Liverpool Football Club, the owners said we can compete with anyone in the world.

Signing someone from the Championship and then billing him as a top signing is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #62: Jul 25, 2016 04:21:27 am
      it's really getting quite pathetic how some are making it seem like this is a huge signing.

We're Liverpool Football Club, the owners said we can compete with anyone in the world.

Signing someone from the Championship and then billing him as a top signing is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Who did you want us competing for Fed? Ibrahimovic, an over the hill striker we definitely didn't need. That Mkhitaryan fella who fell out with Klopp at Dortmund and probably wouldn't have signed for us with Klopp as our manager.

Maybe this Dutch lad has been bought for a reason like you know Klopp actually wanted him and it's hardly like scraping the barrel is it divvy, they've only just been relegated, so the player hasn't actually played in the championship yet.

So come on Fed who should we have signed? How about giving the manager and the players he has bought a chance before you go on one of your misery tirades.

FFS you sound like a bluenose tw*t with all this F***ing whinging!!
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #63: Jul 25, 2016 05:18:01 am
      So come on Fed who should we have signed? How about giving the manager and the players he has bought a chance before you go on one of your misery tirades.

first of all, we know very well that under FSG the manager isn't the one who buys players.  The committee does.  The only role the manager has is a final yes or no, that is to say, if he absolutely doesn't want a player the rest of the committee wants, he can veto the signing.  And he must give the final approval on all signings.  But the manager doesn't START the process by saying "I want player x." The committee puts options in front of him and then they decide together.  It's how we ended up with Balotelli, Rodgers clearly didn't want him but at the end of the day the committee put him and other sh*t players in front of him so he had no other choice but to go with him.

That being said, I don't have specific names in mind who we "should" be going after.  But if the Mancs have no CL and can't offer London and yet they STILL are bringing in top names, then why the hell are we not doing the same?

We can put a bow on it all we want but at the end of the day there wasn't a single damn person on this forum who thought at the beginning of the summer that the "top players" we were going to go after were Sadio Mane and f**king Wijnaldum.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #64: Jul 25, 2016 10:26:11 am

he isn't a championship player he has never played in the Championship he played 38 Premier league games and scored 11 goals last season why are you trying to put this lads achievements and quality down. What would you have said last season if we had signed Mahrez? or Vardy from Fleetwood time to forget the price tag and let the manager pick his squad and get on with it.
      HerZamanKIRMIZI
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #65: Jul 25, 2016 10:58:10 am
      first of all, we know very well that under FSG the manager isn't the one who buys players.  The committee does.  The only role the manager has is a final yes or no, that is to say, if he absolutely doesn't want a player the rest of the committee wants, he can veto the signing.  And he must give the final approval on all signings.  But the manager doesn't START the process by saying "I want player x." The committee puts options in front of him and then they decide together.  It's how we ended up with Balotelli, Rodgers clearly didn't want him but at the end of the day the committee put him and other sh*t players in front of him so he had no other choice but to go with him.

That being said, I don't have specific names in mind who we "should" be going after.  But if the Mancs have no CL and can't offer London and yet they STILL are bringing in top names, then why the hell are we not doing the same?

We can put a bow on it all we want but at the end of the day there wasn't a single damn person on this forum who thought at the beginning of the summer that the "top players" we were going to go after were Sadio Mane and f**king Wijnaldum.

How can you be so sure Klopp doesn't have any say in who he wants to sign? Clearly Klopp isn't Rodgers. If FSG and the transfer committee were to dictate him who he should sign, Klopp would have resigned.
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #66: Jul 25, 2016 12:40:49 pm
      "first of all, we know very well that under FSG the manager isn't the one who buys players.  The committee does.  The only role the manager has is a final yes or no, that is to say, if he absolutely doesn't want a player the rest of the committee wants, he can veto the signing.  And he must give the final approval on all signings.  But the manager doesn't START the process by saying "I want player x." The committee puts options in front of him and then they decide together.  It's how we ended up with Balotelli, Rodgers clearly didn't want him but at the end of the day the committee put him and other sh*t players in front of him so he had no other choice but to go with him.

We can put a bow on it all we want but at the end of the day there wasn't a single damn person on this forum who thought at the beginning of the summer that the "top players" we were going to go after were Sadio Mane and f**king Wijnaldum"

Apologies but I think this is trash talk.

Most of us still play Footy Manager and assume most of the real life stuffs work the same way.

We have never been top spenders in the transfer market from time in memorial and the new owners never promised you they were going to break the bank nor were they going to build the galacticos.

Guys we need to be realistic, its not the number of superstars you have in your team that determines if you will win trophies, for all the complains about our squad last season we still competed in 2 finals (Local and in Europe) even if they were 2nd rate tournaments.

Let the manager do his job and you support instead of complaining about every single signing.

The Barca's of this world were built on a team from their academy - Messi, Xavi, iniesta, Valdes, Puyol, the list is endless. Why are we so fixated on big money signings? At least we should have learnt something from Leicester of last season - though that was a freak one. But there are models - Juve, Athletico Madrid, Sevilla, Valencia, even Tottenham.

Lets operate the Liverpool way/ blueprint and leave all this media sensationalized craze for big money signings - I'm not against it but don't make that the hallmark of my football club.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #67: Jul 25, 2016 03:22:02 pm

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #68: Jul 25, 2016 09:10:11 pm
      Quiet spoken lad
      <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOUuMSxZZn0>
      Hopefully will let the footy do the talking

Quick Reply