Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool > PSG)

Read 192644 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum Player Thread
      Reply #506: Apr 01, 2018 01:17:55 am
      Such a enigma will be needed against City but completely useless against sh*te teams.

And if Danzel is reading he doesn’t add your made up metric of balance unfortunately.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #507: Apr 11, 2018 12:33:57 am
      A shout out to Wijnaldum for his 2nd hald display. His composure allowed us to get a foothold of the game imo. I think I want to see him continue as a #6.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #508: Apr 11, 2018 12:42:50 am
      A shout out to Wijnaldum for his 2nd hald display. His composure allowed us to get a foothold of the game imo. I think I want to see him continue as a #6.

Agree thought he was immense second half.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #509: Apr 11, 2018 07:36:50 am
      The whole team was penned in the first half and I don’t blame any of the players for that, city were absolutely relentless.

However the second half was a totally different story and Wijnaldum was excellent, composed and everywhere. Superb player
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #510: Apr 11, 2018 06:12:02 pm
      I was wondering where Gini was in that first half but in fairness, the whole side was like that. He was superb in that second half and really stood up for the side. You could see quite a few players grow in this tie and he was one of them.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #511: Apr 12, 2018 04:33:01 pm
      I think he was terrific Tue - whole team struggled first half but he was always showing and making a nuisance of self.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #512: Apr 12, 2018 07:57:04 pm
      I think he will be immense next season with Keita.  Obviously Naby will need to settle in,  but I think they both have pace and he will compliment him well.  He is quick and has finesse.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #513: Apr 12, 2018 11:14:00 pm
      I think he will be immense next season with Keita.  Obviously Naby will need to settle in,  but I think they both have pace and he will compliment him well.  He is quick and has finesse.

Think he could be our first choice d-mid rather than bringing in a new signing?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #514: Apr 12, 2018 11:41:34 pm
      Think he could be our first choice d-mid rather than bringing in a new signing?

Problem with him in the #6 role is Klopp wants a player that can turn quickly and ping passes, turn and get the ball down the field like Hendo does...not quite sure where Gini fits...My feeling is just as an all around mid who can cover every position and probably master none.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #515: Apr 13, 2018 02:12:45 am
      Problem with him in the #6 role is Klopp wants a player that can turn quickly and ping passes, turn and get the ball down the field like Hendo does...not quite sure where Gini fits...My feeling is just as an all around mid who can cover every position and probably master none.

Yeah, Wijnaldum is poor at long balls, but short balls into pockets are just as effective, especially with the amount of times our attacking players find them.. just look at the build up play.

https://streamable.com/5oceo

Tbh, with how high we play, a player who can ping it really necessary? And with us supposedly being interested in Jorginho, maybe Klopp feels a short/medium distributor would be better?

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #516: Apr 13, 2018 02:35:56 am
      Yeah, Wijnaldum is poor at long balls, but short balls into pockets are just as effective, especially with the amount of times our attacking players find them.. just look at the build up play.

https://streamable.com/5oceo

Tbh, with how high we play, a player who can ping it really necessary? And with us supposedly being interested in Jorginho, maybe Klopp feels a short/medium distributor would be better?

Can't get this to play, but it was that turn and pass to Ox that stood out to me. In the Everton match, he showed a clever drop of the shoulder on a couple of occasions (vs. Rooney once I think) to leave his mark for dead and start the attack. Way too early to say this is the guy, but as Keita and Ox are likely the other two midfield spots, this is probably his best chance to be a regular starter (not that we don't need more than 3 ready and able midfielders, of course we do).
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #517: Apr 13, 2018 02:49:39 am
      Can't get this to play, but it was that turn and pass to Ox that stood out to me. In the Everton match, he showed a clever drop of the shoulder on a couple of occasions (vs. Rooney once I think) to leave his mark for dead and start the attack. Way too early to say this is the guy, but as Keita and Ox are likely the other two midfield spots, this is probably his best chance to be a regular starter (not that we don't need more than 3 ready and able midfielders, of course we do).

Yeah, an agile composed passer really does make a difference in controlling. Also, it's those passes centrally/between the lines that we have struggled with for so many years. The only player capable of playing those balls regularly was Lucas, not even Gerrard was very good at them( it didn't matter because of how perfect his long balls were).

I'm starting to think maybe Wijnaldum, Keita and Ox midfield might be the way forward. Another thing I want to point out, since Danzel pointed out Wijnaldum's off the ball antics, I have been watching him closely and notice he picks up a lot of space between the lines, same with Ox too, but they are usually ignored by Hendo.

There is also stats (for those interested) posted by someone on another forum which shows a #6 Wijnaldum finds our 2 other midfielders a lot more than when Hendo plays in the deeper role.
      « Last Edit: Apr 13, 2018 02:57:06 am by PurpleMonkey »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #518: Apr 24, 2018 10:19:03 pm
      I have been critical of Gini previously and I reckon rightly so but tonight he was immense.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #519: Apr 24, 2018 10:40:50 pm
      I have been critical of Gini previously and I reckon rightly so but tonight he was immense.

Yep, was excellent all night, such a shame he couldnt quite sort his feet out for that golden chance at 5-1. Huge role to play now with Ox injury.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #520: Apr 24, 2018 10:43:12 pm
      Yep, was excellent all night, such a shame he couldnt quite sort his feet out for that golden chance at 5-1. Huge role to play now with Ox injury.

It's a shame he so rarely gets into the box now, be that by direction or not that he seems to have forgotten how to slot them away.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #521: Apr 24, 2018 11:09:27 pm
      Honestly, I was concerned when he was coming on. But he was very good, frustratingly good because it makes me ask why he can’t do that every game!
      Only negative was he turned into bambi on ice when he could have made it 6.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #522: Apr 25, 2018 09:48:44 am
      Ran his heart out last night - almost in the role he played at Newcastle.

Was out on his feet last 15.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #523: Apr 25, 2018 10:10:26 am
      Throw in the deep end and immediately found his feet thought he was excellent!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #524: Apr 25, 2018 12:05:47 pm
      One thing putting in a performance like that, another thing doing when you come on 15 minutes into a game we were really struggling in at that point.

Fantastic.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #525: Apr 26, 2018 12:23:15 am
      Made the difference when he came on.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #526: Apr 26, 2018 08:47:15 am
      He's really good as an attacking midfielder...
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #527: Apr 26, 2018 09:53:52 am
      An excellent performance from Gini. Just wish he good be this good on a consistent basis. Will get a run in the side now Ox is injured.

Time to deliver.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #528: Apr 26, 2018 09:59:35 am
      I like this kid he improves his game and is clearly listening to Jürgen. Very sorry for Alex but not at all upset that Gini will play.

Quick Reply