Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool > PSG)

Read 192618 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum Player Thread
      Reply #529: Apr 27, 2018 01:23:14 am
      Go on lad, score your first ever away Goal against these cu*ts.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #530: May 03, 2018 12:00:52 am
      It’s the end of the universe Gini scored an away goal..........!

But seriously was great tonight and will be needed against Madrid to be at his best,
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #531: May 03, 2018 01:26:15 am
      Yep we have to thank Gini for scoring his first ever away goal. If it wasn't for that goal, we would be a miserable bunch right now!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #532: May 03, 2018 12:45:09 pm
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #533: May 03, 2018 12:46:50 pm
      Waited so long for an away goal and then when he gets one, it could well turn out to be the most important of his career.

Worth the wait!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #534: May 13, 2018 11:03:47 pm
      Yet another exceptional performance today. He was my MOTM. Can be a world class midfielder if he carries on this way.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #535: May 13, 2018 11:13:33 pm
      Yet another exceptional performance today. He was my MOTM. Can be a world class midfielder if he carries on this way.

Never doubted him. I think he’s quality and expecting a massive performance from him in Kiev
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #536: May 13, 2018 11:21:20 pm
      Never doubted him. I think he’s quality and expecting a massive performance from him in Kiev

I just love how he is so composed and aware of his surroundings, and how he uses his body to hold/brush off players is something else. I think he controls the midfield better than anyone else in our team when he's on fire.

I really do dream of a midfield 3 of, Wijnaldum, Keita and Ox.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #537: Jun 03, 2018 05:39:35 pm
      I want a lot more from him next season because I think he is capable of doing far more the lad is just brilliant but needs to show more.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #538: Jun 03, 2018 05:51:58 pm
      I want a lot more from him next season because I think he is capable of doing far more the lad is just brilliant but needs to show more.

I know there will be a lot that won't 't agree with me, but I think  he reads the game well and is very good tactically. I still think he is our best footballing midfielder (even ahead of Fabinho and Keita), but the biggest problem with Wijnaldum seems to be himself, he just seems scared and doesn't believe in his ability. Maybe with better midfielders around him, we could see Wijnaldum at his best.
      danaxe
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #539: Jun 05, 2018 10:39:12 am
      Just went through the CIES Football Observatory list of most valuable transfers and noticed that our Wijnaldum is valued at 80 mil euro. Oxlade & Wijnaldum are my favourite midfielders in our current squad. However, with both Keita & Fab done and Fekir 'highly likely' to join, I wouldn't mind us selling Wijnaldum to add a CB, GK or ST or if we try to go for a cash + player swap for any CB/ST/GK.

Gini is no doubt a solid player, maybe too solid to sit on the bench majority of a season when we have obvious gaps at other places in our squad.

Any thoughts?
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #540: Jun 05, 2018 01:57:56 pm
      Just went through the CIES Football Observatory list of most valuable transfers and noticed that our Wijnaldum is valued at 80 mil euro. Oxlade & Wijnaldum are my favourite midfielders in our current squad. However, with both Keita & Fab done and Fekir 'highly likely' to join, I wouldn't mind us selling Wijnaldum to add a CB, GK or ST or if we try to go for a cash + player swap for any CB/ST/GK.

Gini is no doubt a solid player, maybe too solid to sit on the bench majority of a season when we have obvious gaps at other places in our squad.

Any thoughts?

I really rate the guy and think that there'll be a hell of a player there when he realises just how good he can be. However we are rather bloated in the midfield area, I would say Lallana is in the shop window and Milner would have to accept being a bit part player.

I would say keep him til atleast January, which gives us time to settle the new signings in and ease Chamberlain back into the side. Assuming none of our signings are massive flops or we get an injury crisis (knock on wood) reassess his role in the side then.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #541: Jun 05, 2018 03:37:21 pm

Any thoughts?

Given the style we play, amount of games to be played and Klopp rotation policy the need to keep Gini is greater then using his funds to improve other area's of the team. He has a big role in the squad and with Fabinho in the mix now Gini won't be required as much to play deeper role in the mid-field as much as he did last season. He is at his best further up the pitch link the mid-field and attack though he does need to score more if he is going to be playing that role more effective.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #542: Jul 11, 2018 12:21:55 pm
      Will Wijnaldum be content with potentially being our 6th/7th midfielder (even if we don't sign a #10)?

I think he's a handy rotational player for us, and would like to keep him, but not sure he'd be keen to stay in such a diminished role.

Talk of him perhaps joining Cocu at Fenerbahce. Just wishful thinking on their part? They couldn't afford to buy him for the approx 30 mil we should get for him.

But surely he'll agitate for a move somewhere?
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #543: Jul 11, 2018 12:59:10 pm
      Will Wijnaldum be content with potentially being our 6th/7th midfielder (even if we don't sign a #10)?

I think he's a handy rotational player for us, and would like to keep him, but not sure he'd be keen to stay in such a diminished role.

Talk of him perhaps joining Cocu at Fenerbahce. Just wishful thinking on their part? They couldn't afford to buy him for the approx 30 mil we should get for him.

But surely he'll agitate for a move somewhere?

With Fabinho and Keita coming in and Can going out we're only one body up on where we were last season, add in Ox's injury and the fact he isn't likely to be back until October (I think) then i'm sure Gigi will still get plenty of minutes. I guess he could be a candidate for a January leave but i'd be surprised if he went during this window.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #544: Jul 11, 2018 02:28:40 pm
      With Fabinho and Keita coming in and Can going out we're only one body up on where we were last season, add in Ox's injury and the fact he isn't likely to be back until October (I think) then i'm sure Gigi will still get plenty of minutes. I guess he could be a candidate for a January leave but i'd be surprised if he went during this window.

Personally, I am surprised there is even talk of selling him or him being 6th/7th choice. I think he was immense second half of season, and even before then, he had shown world class traits. Like I said before, when he is on his game, I really don't think there is a better combative midfielder out there.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #545: Jul 11, 2018 03:12:52 pm
      Personally, I am surprised there is even talk of selling him or him being 6th/7th choice. I think he was immense second half of season, and even before then, he had shown world class traits. Like I said before, when he is on his game, I really don't think there is a better combative midfielder out there.

At the rate our midfielders pick up injuries he'll get plenty of game time even at 6th or 7th choice, although I think he's higher up the pecking order than that.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #546: Jul 11, 2018 04:22:23 pm
      I find it hard to believe he would want to leave and that we would be open to selling him considering he was relied upon so heavily the past two seasons (played 40 plus games). Like many have said our style of play combine with injuries and klopp love for rotation there will be playing time for him. I find the timing interesting consider Ferner were heavily linked with Wilshere who decided to go with West Ham then out of the blue Gini isn't happy right after. Sounds fishy to me.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #547: Aug 12, 2018 03:36:57 pm
      Wijnaldum's movement and distribution was exceptional and a key reason why we were so dominate. I am now questioning the Fabinho purchase :D What a F***ing player!!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #548: Aug 20, 2018 11:24:59 pm
      Not too sure on Wijnaldum's game tonight, It was a mixed performance for me, not that he played bad as he did everything well, but only problem was, he was way too conservative with his play. I wonder, was that down to us being away ?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #549: Aug 21, 2018 02:29:40 am
      Well, re-watching it, Wijnaldum was superb. Stopped a lot of attacks, strong and kept things simple, and that tackle in our box! Can't believe it took a 2nd watch for me to appreciate how important he was today as the 6!
      « Last Edit: Aug 21, 2018 02:57:07 am by PurpleMonkey »
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #550: Aug 21, 2018 07:07:37 am
      He was quality, he’s nailing down that position. His technical ability is right up there
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #551: Aug 21, 2018 08:08:52 am
      I think his most underrated attribute has to be his strength. So hard to get round him or push him off the ball.

Quick Reply