Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool > PSG)

Read 192599 times
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum Player Thread
      Reply #598: Nov 17, 2018 07:47:03 am
      I agree, but he also looks good along side Fabinho in a double pivot or as the 6 in a midfield 3 :)

Agree about the pivot but as a 6 don't think he has the game to pull it off against the better sides his defensive game is not as good as Henderson in my eyes. Good options to have just think he has the ability to make late runs and get beyond the front three which we miss at times
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #599: Nov 17, 2018 07:50:01 am
      Watched this one. Gini was outstanding playing further forward.

Although the Dutch team as a whole were fantastic the right back Dumfries was a stand out for me as well as Gini.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #600: Nov 17, 2018 08:13:15 am
      Heā€™s just a smashing all round player that can perform at a top level in all the midfield roles.

For some reason - since he arrived until 2/3 way through last season - there was a convenient narrative about him going missing.

Like everyone he has bad games occasionally but I think heā€™s a top player.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #601: Nov 17, 2018 08:24:52 am
      Heā€™s just a smashing all round player that can perform at a top level in all the midfield roles.

For some reason - since he arrived until 2/3 way through last season - there was a convenient narrative about him going missing.

Agree with you there pal.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #602: Nov 17, 2018 08:29:36 am

Do think he went missing on a few occasions to be fair especially away from home and had very little influence on some games. That said he seems more involved this year and has definitely been one of our best players on the whole just think he has the ability to add more goals to his game
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #603: Nov 17, 2018 08:34:03 am
      Do think he went missing on a few occasions to be fair especially away from home and had very little influence on some games. That said he seems more involved this year and has definitely been one of our best players on the whole just think he has the ability to add more goals to his game

Defo had ā€œquieterā€ games mate I just think (personally) that the away goals thing got lazily turned into something more by a few negative types here and the arl twitter.....

For an average sized guy / medium build his body strength is unbelievable - my 15 yr old loves the way he almost always (except Red Star away 🤬) comes out of challenges with the ball.

That said.....is needing a rest in our system been carrying the midfield since August.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #604: Nov 17, 2018 08:43:08 am
      Defo had ā€œquieterā€ games mate I just think (personally) that the away goals thing got lazily turned into something more by a few negative types here and the arl twitter.....

For an average sized guy / medium build his body strength is unbelievable - my 15 yr old loves the way he almost always (except Red Star away 🤬) comes out of challenges with the ball.

That said.....is needing a rest in our system been carrying the midfield since August.

Yeh good point think he might sit out Watford and then ready for PSG and bitters
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #605: Nov 17, 2018 11:47:37 pm
      Definitely plays a different role for Holland than under Klopp which truth be told I have never really worked out.

But no great surprise he effects the game more playing further forward its a no brainer as he is an attacking forward.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #606: Dec 03, 2018 03:30:15 am
      After re-watching the game, I must say, Wijnaldum was probably the best midfielder on the park.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #607: Dec 03, 2018 05:43:55 am
      After re-watching the game, I must say, Wijnaldum was probably the best midfielder on the park.

Yeah he was very good
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #608: Dec 03, 2018 08:46:32 am

Played really well - got stuck in second half and dominated the middle.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #609: Dec 03, 2018 02:07:35 pm
      Put in the hard yards and did the dirty work, allowing Fabinho to push up a bit more.

Good game from the lad.
      Actually a good game from both the 6's
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #610: Dec 03, 2018 02:37:10 pm
      Put in the hard yards and did the dirty work, allowing Fabinho to push up a bit more.

Good game from the lad.
      Actually a good game from both the 6's

I'm not sure the double 6 / double 8 format works when it's Henderson & Gini,
      but it may work well with Fabinho & Gini when the former settles in.
      Thought they played well. Would allow Keita in to the midfield 3 eventually.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #611: Dec 03, 2018 02:39:49 pm
      I'm not sure the double 6 / double 8 format works when it's Henderson & Gini,
      but it may work well with Fabinho & Gini when the former settles in.
      Thought they played well. Would allow Keita in to the midfield 3 eventually.

yeah, they seem to get in each others way a bit sometimes, and seem to both want to sit in between/next to the CB's

Personally, I'd like to see Henderson pushed up a bit when Fabinho is fully integrated, but options and plenty of them are the main thing.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #612: Dec 03, 2018 02:41:49 pm
      yeah, they seem to get in each others way a bit sometimes, and seem to both want to sit in between/next to the CB's

Personally, I'd like to see Henderson pushed up a bit when Fabinho is fully integrated, but options and plenty of them are the main thing.

It's great to have the options.
      Would quite like to see how Gini plays if given more freedom, seeing as he plays more advanced for Holland.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #613: Dec 03, 2018 02:45:42 pm
      It's great to have the options.
      Would quite like to see how Gini plays if given more freedom, seeing as he plays more advanced for Holland.

Yep.
      For us it's like he plays as a DM in the 8 position.
      He's good at it; good at winning the ball, good at holding it, not a bad runner, (let's not talk about his shooting) and a decent passer.
      A free role as the highest MF would be interesting.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #614: Dec 11, 2018 10:07:33 pm
      Class tonight
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #615: Dec 11, 2018 10:58:12 pm
      Industrial again...

Love this kid..
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #616: Dec 11, 2018 11:38:23 pm
      Silky skills and excellent pressing. He is so classy deserves to be playing at the highest level.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #617: Dec 16, 2018 06:14:43 pm
      Has to be currently the best combative midfielder in world football, is there anyone better?
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #618: Dec 16, 2018 06:17:52 pm
      Has to be currently the best combative midfielder in world football, is there anyone better?

He defenses his ball so well and has a lot of energy!
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      • At the end of the storm, thereā€™s a golden sky.
      Reply #619: Dec 16, 2018 06:43:44 pm
      Ran like a madman the whole match. Sprinting in the last minutes like he had just started the game. Love it!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #620: Dec 17, 2018 03:34:32 am
      Was worthy of far more praise then he is getting. Seemed to be involved in everything and rarely gave the ball away.  He was the cornerstone, everything was built off his performance.

Quick Reply