Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool > PSG)

Read 192747 times
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum Player Thread
      Reply #621: Dec 17, 2018 03:57:44 am
      Was worthy of far more praise then he is getting. Seemed to be involved in everything and rarely gave the ball away.  He was the cornerstone, everything was built off his performance.

I love Gini and he's one of the first names on the team sheet for Klopp. He is fantastic without the ball and then controlling it, but just wish he was better offensively.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #622: Dec 17, 2018 11:50:23 am
      Dude has made a living out of holding off the defender whilst turning with the ball. Should rename him The Shield.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #623: Dec 29, 2018 07:50:48 pm
      Been banging the Wijnaldum drum ever since he arrived. I've had a ton of debates on these boards trying to explain what it is he does and how good he actually is or can be because he is even better than before. Top class player and very lovable character. It's a shame it took a lot of people so long to figure out what he's really about. A bit similar to Firmino.

He's one of the best around and one of the first names on the teamsheet for me.

Also telling that he was chosen to be 4th captain by his teammates, behind Henderson, Milner and Van Dijk. He is clearly highly valued by not only his squad members but by the entire staff.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #624: Dec 29, 2018 07:53:07 pm
      Been our best midfielder by some distance this year.

Boss again tonight.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #625: Dec 29, 2018 07:54:45 pm
      Been banging the Wijnaldum drum ever since he arrived. I've had a ton of debates on these boards trying to explain what it is he does and how good he actually is or can be because he is even better than before. Top class player and very lovable character. It's a shame it took a lot of people so long to figure out what he's really about. A bit similar to Firmino.

Also telling that he was chosen to be 4th captain by his teammates, behind Henderson, Milner and Van Dijk. He is clearly highly valued by not only his squad members but by the entire staff.

There isn't a better central midfielder out there that is better than him currently.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #626: Dec 29, 2018 08:36:05 pm

Bit of a stretch to suggest that people didnā€™t know what he was about rather than he just had some poor games. Iā€™ve always rated him on his day but this season he has brought a level of consistency and really stands out amongst a talented midfield.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #627: Dec 29, 2018 08:57:29 pm
      Quite a few people on this forum have doubted his quality.

For me itā€™s been clear since the first day he arrived. I am massive fan - the guy oozes class, has unbelievable technical skill, draws so many fouls and is always looking to play it positively.

10/10 performance today - top player
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #628: Dec 29, 2018 09:22:55 pm
      player of the season so far
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #629: Dec 29, 2018 09:39:57 pm

Behind VVD of course!!!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #630: Dec 29, 2018 09:54:38 pm

He doesnt count
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #631: Dec 29, 2018 10:39:03 pm
      Kids a genius. What a player.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #632: Dec 30, 2018 01:42:19 am
      Beast mode!!  Dude was a F***ing monster today!!
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #633: Dec 30, 2018 02:25:51 am
      Bit of a stretch to suggest that people didnā€™t know what he was about rather than he just had some poor games. Iā€™ve always rated him on his day but this season he has brought a level of consistency and really stands out amongst a talented midfield.

Not a stretch at all, it is there for everyone to read in all the match threads and here in his player thread. "The invisible man" - "I don't know what it is he does" - "He doesn't influence games at all" - "He'll be the first out of the starting eleven when Keita and Fabinho arrive". Typical statements during the majority of last season.

He had a cracking first season under Klopp playing with the likes of Lallana and Henderson in midfield. Scored a bunch of important goals (Chelsea, City, Middlesbrough) that got us three points in those games and played a very big part in us making top four that season. He was always amongst the top performers in virtually every game against top 6 opponents.

Season after, our midfield was constantly hit by injuries. Henderson was rarely 100% fit, Lallana missed almost the entire season, Milner wasn't as good as he has been this season in midfield and Can was a tactical disaster. Only during the second half of the season, Chamberlain was used to playing in midfield for us. By then, Wijnaldum had played a ton of games having to babysit the likes of Can and having to limit his own game again for the good of the team. It's not a coincidence that his second half of the season was far better than his first half (also due to Chamberlain playing alongside him). He never went hiding, he performed consistently (bar a few poor games), yet he was always blamed for our midfield woes. People just completely ignored his work off the ball because he wasn't getting on the ball as much. Which wasnt his fault, he was just playing in a dysfunctional midfield. That's what I meant with people not getting what he offers or what he was about during last season because his role had changed compared to the season before that.

This season he is playing with midfielders that know what it means to defend, how to defend, when to press, not to leave gaps in our shape and are generally tactically astute. He is suddenly performing at a high level again and people are singing his praises. Think that's a coincidence? It's not. He is still the same player, he just gets to play with better players around him which helps his game.

Tactically, he is one of our best players and in terms of midfielders, the first name on the teamsheet for me.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #634: Dec 30, 2018 08:55:03 am
      Not a stretch at all, it is there for everyone to read in all the match threads and here in his player thread. "The invisible man" - "I don't know what it is he does" - "He doesn't influence games at all" - "He'll be the first out of the starting eleven when Keita and Fabinho arrive". Typical statements during the majority of last season.

He had a cracking first season under Klopp playing with the likes of Lallana and Henderson in midfield. Scored a bunch of important goals (Chelsea, City, Middlesbrough) that got us three points in those games and played a very big part in us making top four that season. He was always amongst the top performers in virtually every game against top 6 opponents.

Season after, our midfield was constantly hit by injuries. Henderson was rarely 100% fit, Lallana missed almost the entire season, Milner wasn't as good as he has been this season in midfield and Can was a tactical disaster. Only during the second half of the season, Chamberlain was used to playing in midfield for us. By then, Wijnaldum had played a ton of games having to babysit the likes of Can and having to limit his own game again for the good of the team. It's not a coincidence that his second half of the season was far better than his first half (also due to Chamberlain playing alongside him). He never went hiding, he performed consistently (bar a few poor games), yet he was always blamed for our midfield woes. People just completely ignored his work off the ball because he wasn't getting on the ball as much. Which wasnt his fault, he was just playing in a dysfunctional midfield. That's what I meant with people not getting what he offers or what he was about during last season because his role had changed compared to the season before that.

This season he is playing with midfielders that know what it means to defend, how to defend, when to press, not to leave gaps in our shape and are generally tactically astute. He is suddenly performing at a high level again and people are singing his praises. Think that's a coincidence? It's not. He is still the same player, he just gets to play with better players around him which helps his game.

Tactically, he is one of our best players and in terms of midfielders, the first name on the teamsheet for me.
      Iā€™m not doubting what was said mate, more the reason that it was said. The ā€˜invisible manā€™ comment was always a bit harsh I felt but the counter argument by some was simply that he cut off passing lanes, which I felt was clutching. During his time here he has often went missing in games, particularly away from home.

Itā€™s not that people are suddenly noticing or appreciating what he does, itā€™s that he has vastly improved this season. Surely you canā€™t deny that.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #635: Dec 30, 2018 09:05:47 am

Come on now, he's playing very well at the moment, but so is the whole team. There have been plenty of games though where Gini has been poor, especially when paired with Hendo and Milner because that trio for some weird reason bring out the worst in each other more often than not.
      In any case lets just enjoy the wonderful dynamic midfield we currently have, so many options and so much harmony in the team, wonderful to see.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #636: Dec 30, 2018 10:51:26 am

Agree 100%

Too many followed the media narrative that he couldnā€™t play away from home because (freakishly) all his goals were at home.

It was bollocks then and itā€™s bollocks now. Heā€™s a superstar.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #637: Dec 30, 2018 11:17:44 am
      Had some game last night and wasnā€™t far behind Virg in seeing that goin off in the tunnel .
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #638: Dec 30, 2018 11:49:36 am
      its hard to single out any player that plays who isn't playing at his best. Gini is just fantastic his tackling and breaking up play has been so important for us. Everyone who has been on the pitch so far this season has contributed in a positive way now we have possibly our season defining game on Thursday I think Gini will definitely be a starter
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #639: Dec 30, 2018 01:06:37 pm
      I think it's telling that when the games have been won against Wolves, Newcastle and Arsenal that Gini has been brought off with the following game in mind.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #640: Dec 30, 2018 02:31:22 pm
      Agree 100%

Too many followed the media narrative that he couldnā€™t play away from home because (freakishly) all his goals were at home.

It was bollocks then and itā€™s bollocks now. Heā€™s a superstar.
      Personally wasnt jumping on any bandwagons mate, rather just believing what my eyes were showing me. Nothing to do with goals scored; I mean, itā€™s not as if he was scoring goals for fun at Anfield.

End of the day, weā€™re never all going to agree but I found the suggestion that people were only starting to realise what he did a bit far fetched.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,696 posts | 837 
      Reply #641: Dec 30, 2018 03:07:40 pm
      Huge performance yesterday. Did not put a foot wrong!

I have to admit I was not expecting him to step up as much as he did this year. He responded very well to the competition brought by Keita and Fabinho. He has been huge for us this year.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #642: Dec 30, 2018 03:31:36 pm
      Personally wasnt jumping on any bandwagons mate, rather just believing what my eyes were showing me. Nothing to do with goals scored; I mean, itā€™s not as if he was scoring goals for fun at Anfield.

End of the day, weā€™re never all going to agree but I found the suggestion that people were only starting to realise what he did a bit far fetched.

I wasnā€™t referring to you dude - Iā€™ve no idea how you read the game or what you value etc (weā€™re all different).

My point was broader - heā€™s not an elegant David Silva type and some people just didnā€™t appreciate him and picked up on the ā€œoh he doesnā€™t always fancy it narrativeā€.

I recall some of the shoeing he got every time the team failed to win.

Top player - like every part of our midfield.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #643: Dec 30, 2018 04:10:10 pm
      I wasnā€™t referring to you dude - Iā€™ve no idea how you read the game or what you value etc (weā€™re all different).

My point was broader - heā€™s not an elegant David Silva type and some people just didnā€™t appreciate him and picked up on the ā€œoh he doesnā€™t always fancy it narrativeā€.

I recall some of the shoeing he got every time the team failed to win.

Top player - like every part of our midfield.
      Fair enough mate. One thing I think we can all agree on is that he is bossing it now, which is the most important thing.

Quick Reply