Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool > PSG)

Read 192797 times
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum Player Thread
      Reply #690: Jan 30, 2019 05:07:31 pm
      Is he back for the next game? Feels like it’s no coincidence we concede 3 at home when he wasn’t playing.

Goes straight back in the 11 for me.

It wasn't a coincidence. I think I posted the numbers in this player thread last season when people were questioning the impact he has on games.

- We concede more without him in the team
      - We score less without him in the team
      - We pick up far fewer points without him starting

https://statsbomb.com/2019/01/the-rise-of-press-resistant-midfielders/?fbclid=IwAR059s8Pn0H-8sfZVUZmgumfrBY9oSCVvYr_TRDQOKiW6knDMgZl2IkAzIo

Interesting article. Talks about the likes of Moussa Dembele (former Spurs midfielder), a bit about Wijnaldum and Frenkie De Jong who recently got his move to Barcelona. A new 'breed' of midfielders.

The writer mentions Wijnaldum not being as good as Dembele (in his prime so to speak), but I disagree with that. The ability to hold off opponents when they have the ball is insane.

Love this bit as it is very relevant to Manchester City these days:

"Bielsa had shown that, while Barcelona were great pressers themselves, they were not invulnerable to being pressed by opponents. Though the level of execution required was extremely high, a midfield heavily focused on passing could be pressed into submission."

Managers who have the tactical knowledge/ability, like Bielsa, to set up their teams and have a go at City, can get something out of the game.
      « Last Edit: Jan 30, 2019 05:12:40 pm by Danzel »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #691: Jan 30, 2019 11:49:22 pm
      Thought Wijnaldum was superb tonight in his usual role, but he/we needed someone equally as good as him on the attacking front. Shame we didn't have Fabinho next to him from the start :(
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #692: Jan 30, 2019 11:52:32 pm
      Thought Wijnaldum was superb tonight in his usual role, but he/we needed someone equally as good as him on the attacking front. Shame we didn't have Fabinho next to him from the start :(

It is a shame we didn't start with Fabinho. I think we look a much better team with him. There might be another reason other than tactical that we didn't start with him.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #693: Jan 30, 2019 11:54:06 pm
      It is a shame we didn't start with Fabinho. I think we look a much better team with him. There might be another reason other than tactical that we didn't start with him.

I believe he only had one full training session before match day, and probably not 100% fit too.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #694: Jan 31, 2019 02:12:19 am
      Had a solid game. I wish he put in a full blooded slide tackle on Abrighton before Robbo needlessly fouls him, he was at full pelt and allready caught up to him.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #695: Jan 31, 2019 07:54:27 am
      One of the better players last night for me - really good
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #696: Jan 31, 2019 08:28:11 am
      Was his usual reliable self defensively but nothing in terms of forward momentum, yet Naby is being slated for a similar performance  >:(
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #697: Jan 31, 2019 06:52:42 pm
      Was his usual reliable self defensively but nothing in terms of forward momentum, yet Naby is being slated for a similar performance  >:(

Because Gini is to Naby like a fox is to a lion. Gini plays what he can, he delivers Hausmannskost. Naby has special powers, but isn't using them or isn't let to use them.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #698: Feb 01, 2019 07:50:27 pm

A similar performance? Wijnaldum was carrying both him and Shaqiri in midfield. He was constantly covering for them and cleaning up their mess. Along with Mane, he was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch for us.

It's not a coincidence that he offered "nothing in terms of forward momentum". Whenever we play a two in midfield, whether it's with Fabinho, Henderson or Keita (or even with Can last season), you'll see that they are the ones doing the "box-to-box" role while Wijnaldum will almost -always- position himself on the side of the pitch the ball is on but -behind- play.

If he were to run ahead of play and we lose possession, we will be absolutely wide open in central midfield.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #699: Feb 01, 2019 07:59:37 pm
      A similar performance? Wijnaldum was carrying both him and Shaqiri in midfield. He was constantly covering for them and cleaning up their mess. Along with Mane, he was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch for us.

It's not a coincidence that he offered "nothing in terms of forward momentum". Whenever we play a two in midfield, whether it's with Fabinho, Henderson or Keita (or even with Can last season), you'll see that they are the ones doing the "box-to-box" role while Wijnaldum will almost -always- position himself on the side of the pitch the ball is on but -behind- play.

If he were to run ahead of play and we lose possession, we will be absolutely wide open in central midfield.

Covering up their Mess? Really exaggeration much!

BTW what forward momentum did Gini provide I must have missed it?

Like it or not but stats show Gini is the least penetrating midfielder we have, now that may be down to design but I suggest not as Henderson plays more forward passes than Gini.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #700: Feb 01, 2019 08:26:52 pm

Like it or not but stats show Gini is the least penetrating midfielder we have, now that may be down to design but I suggest not as Henderson plays more forward passes than Gini.

Watch the game again if you have the time to do so. It wasn't only Keita and Shaqiri though, I think Firmino lost it half a dozen times too. Wijnaldum was constantly covering for the both of them and picked up numerous loose or second balls after they lost it. Certainly during the first half, Keita was much, much better in the second half.

Think you misread me mate, I said that it isn't a coincidence that he did not offer any forward momentum. He was always behind the play with five more offensive players in front of him. He didn't have to get in front of the ball, the five of them should've been more than enough to get through or around Leicester's low block with Robertson and Henderson also offering support on the wings.

Wrong, they have near identical stats this season in terms of forward passes. I think Wijnaldum averages 23 while Henderson averages 25 per game. Numbers in terms of chances created are near identical too.
      « Last Edit: Feb 01, 2019 09:11:53 pm by Danzel »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #701: Feb 04, 2019 10:01:22 am
      Georginio Wijnaldum's importance to Liverpool is underrated

Premier League leaders Liverpool have plenty of midfield options now but it is no coincidence that Jürgen Klopp continues to put his faith in Gini Wijnaldum. Is he the most underrated player in the Premier League?

Fabinho became a Red out of the blue, while Naby Keita's arrival had long been anticipated, but both were expected to spark an overhaul at Anfield. As well as Liverpool's midfield trio had done, these two brought something different. With James Milner now a cult hero and Jordan Henderson club captain, nobody appeared more vulnerable than Gini Wijnaldum.

But here we are, the other side of another January transfer window. Liverpool are two points clear at the top of the Premier League table with a game in hand on nearest rivals Manchester City. And who is the midfielder who has made the most appearance for Jürgen Klopp's team in this potentially historic season for the club? It's that man Wijnaldum.
      The Dutchman has done more than merely survive amid the increased pressure for places, he has thrived. It may have taken some time for everyone to fully appreciate just what Wijnaldum brings to this team, but there is now a growing appreciation that he makes a difference. Liverpool's quiet man in the middle is a big noise on the pitch after all.

It was against Crystal Palace that Wijnaldum was omitted from the line-up for the first time in a Premier League game at Anfield this season. The match was won 4-3 but control was surrendered. Notably, the only other home game in any competition that he hasn't started was also the only defeat at Anfield - 2-1 to Chelsea in the Carabao Cup. He was missed.

So, what is it exactly that Wijnaldum brings to the team that others do not? Right from the start of his career, he has been a difficult player to define. During his youth at Feyenoord, his dribbling ability encouraged coaches to push him out to the flanks, a trend that continued even at Newcastle, but the player himself has always insisted he is a midfielder.

What type of midfielder though? In his final season at PSV, Wijnaldum scored 17 goals as he captained the club to the Eredivisie title. But as well as being able to operate as a number 10, he can be used as an eight or as a six. There was speculation that he would be at right-back against Leicester having even played at centre-back last season against Brighton.

As a hybrid midfielder, Wijnaldum's contribution can be hard to measure. He is not at the top of the list of tacklers, but nor is he high up for goals and assists. But it is his near constant involvement in both the defensive and attacking phases of the game that helps to knit this Liverpool team together and gets them flowing when they are at their very best.

The Premier League tracking data shows that Wijnaldum consistently covers 11 kilometres a game for Liverpool this season. He does not produce the intense sprints of Mohamed Salah or the conspicuous charging runs of Andrew Robertson, but he does offer the perpetual motion, moving from box to box, that typifies Klopp's brand of football.

"He is an outstanding player," Klopp explained recently. "He combines a lot of things that you need. On a one-on-one situation, he can keep the body between the opponent and the ball, then pass the ball. I don't know how many positions he has played. In the double-six he plays really well. He can play all three positions in midfield and that is really nice."

Such is the competition for praise at Anfield this season that he hasn't yet picked up a player of the month award for the club this season, although he did make the podium in November. He is now regularly cited by supporters as a candidate for the most underrated player, not just at Liverpool, but in the entire Premier League.

Sometimes all it takes is a moment to crystallise a feeling that has long been coming. For Robertson, it was, of course, that one-man press that he put on the Manchester City defence last season. Perhaps for Wijnaldum it was the opening goal of the game in the 2-1 win over Tottenham at Wembley in September that reinforced their flawless start.

That was the fifth Premier League game of the campaign and Wijnaldum did not miss a minute of those five victories. He was arguably the best player on the pitch in the third of those matches against Brighton as Klopp named an unchanged team for the third game in a row. His faith in Wijnaldum has been completely justified by his performances.

In the past, it has been too easy to accuse Wijnaldum of going missing. But the 28-year-old midfielder is making more passes per 90 minutes and having touches per 90 minutes this season. Klopp has seen what happens to his team's flow when he actually is missing and is unlikely to risk going without Wijnaldum too many more times with the title on the line.

That is because the man most vulnerable following the new arrivals of the summer has instead become the man most important. Four seasons into his Liverpool career, he is a mystery no more. Wijnaldum's underrated influence on a team that can once again go five points clear at the top with victory at West Ham is finally being understood.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11627604/georginio-wijnaldums-importance-to-liverpool-is-underrated

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #702: Feb 04, 2019 01:17:38 pm

I’m sorry if you can’t see what Wijnaldum brings to this team then there is genuinely no point in trying to explain.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #703: Feb 09, 2019 04:57:42 pm
      I F***ing love Wijnaldum more than life!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #704: Feb 09, 2019 05:08:24 pm
      Played in the more advanced role and did really well today with Fab and Naby behind.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #705: Feb 09, 2019 05:19:13 pm
      Some of us have already posted earlier following his Holland performance's that he could be our steven Gerrard he is that good but he doesn't seem t know it
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #706: Feb 09, 2019 05:20:39 pm
      I’m sorry if you can’t see what Wijnaldum brings to this team then there is genuinely no point in trying to explain.

this is the modern fan mate. They don't really understand the game so they have to go looking at stats to  help them decide if they like a player or not
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #707: Feb 09, 2019 05:29:08 pm
      Most underrated player in the prem at the moment for me.

He brings a calmness to our play that none of our other midfielders can. Additionally, he creates space for other team mates with the different positions he takes up and the forward runs he makes.

Great to have you back Gini!

Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #708: Feb 09, 2019 06:37:34 pm
      Was buzzing when we signed him because I thought  YES A MIDFIELDER THAT SCORES....haven't seen it that much but my god he's good isn't he!

Really missed him vs West Ham.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #709: Feb 09, 2019 07:19:34 pm
      Last night, he had diarrhea Klopp said. What a performance for a sick player! Keep it up Gini, so delicate on the ball.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #710: Feb 09, 2019 07:22:52 pm
      Yes my uth...

Love this kid.,
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #711: Feb 09, 2019 08:02:48 pm
      Lovely goal today, want to see that more often.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #712: Feb 09, 2019 08:28:06 pm
      No coincidence that we take it up another level with this guy on the pitch

Quick Reply