Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool > PSG)

Read 192613 times
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum Player Thread
      Reply #828: Feb 04, 2020 05:06:56 pm
      We are the best team in the world we don't need to take risks - A step back to go forward!  Gini is one of the most important players in our squad in different ways but he is an important piece of the jigsaw. 
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #829: Feb 04, 2020 05:38:44 pm
      From a footballing point of view, we have to keep him but if we look at the financial side, it would be wise sell him at the end of the season. He's nearly 30 and we have Keita and Ox who are talented and hungry. He'll leave as a club legend and we'll get a very good price for him. Also, I think that Grujic, Keita and Ox are enough cover for his spot, one of them will surely establish himself as a starter.

I like Wijnaldum and would like him to stay but it would make sense to sell him too.

It seems he'll sign a new contract though.

Sell Gini in the Summer? Just as he is in his prime? Gini a player who is rarely injured. A player who is consistently excellent. A player who is a positive influence on all the younger players in the club. A player disciplined in multiple positions. A player Klopp loves.

I'll kindly disagree with you on selling Gini in the Summer. We don't need to sell but we do need to keep our consistency.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #830: Feb 04, 2020 05:42:26 pm
      No way for me.  He is a core player in the team fantastic.  I am quite surprised how little mention he gets he is a massively important player.   And there is no need to risk selling him unless it is his choice and even then we should try our best to keep him which shouldn't be hard. 

same here no way should he leave we have this bloke called James Milner if anyone thinks your finished at 30.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #831: Feb 04, 2020 05:51:15 pm
      From a footballing point of view, we have to keep him but if we look at the financial side, it would be wise sell him at the end of the season. He's nearly 30 and we have Keita and Ox who are talented and hungry. He'll leave as a club legend and we'll get a very good price for him. Also, I think that Grujic, Keita and Ox are enough cover for his spot, one of them will surely establish himself as a starter.

I like Wijnaldum and would like him to stay but it would make sense to sell him too.

It seems he'll sign a new contract though.

Who gives a F**k about the financials? He’s worth keeping until he’s 34, he’s brilliant.

Would be a massive mistake to lose him.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #832: Feb 04, 2020 05:57:14 pm
      Old FSG may have looked to cash in on him but I think they get it now that being 30 isnt an awful thing. Loads of good years ahead of him yet.

Yeh agree they would have done that previously.   

Alex1195 has made a suggestion and a fair one.  Because there are some fans thinking on them lines and a lot more not associated  with the club. But for me it is not the way to think.

In my opinion:

Business is not about making money,
      business is about keeping customers happy
      Keep your customers happy
      And the money will follow.

We need to keep our best players and keep this team as strong as possible and win trophies which will bring the revenue.  Arsenal played the game of selling players around the 30 mark or just before it.  We have to do it our way.   

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #833: Feb 04, 2020 06:17:52 pm

Alex1195 has made a suggestion and a fair one.  Because there are some fans thinking on them lines and a lot more not associated  with the club. But for me it is not the way to think.

In my opinion:

We need to keep our best players and keep this team as strong as possible and win trophies which will bring the revenue.  Arsenal played the game of selling players around the 30 mark or just before it.  We have to do it our way.

Lads, can you give me a single example of a first team player sold against their will in order to "cash in"?

Our 2 biggest sales, Suarez and Coutinho, both behaved appalingly to get a move, and in the case of Suarez, his first attempt was fu**ed off quick.

So I'm really not seeing this "cash in" thing you refer to.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #834: Feb 04, 2020 07:08:54 pm
      Lads, can you give me a single example of a first team player sold against their will in order to "cash in"?

Our 2 biggest sales, Suarez and Coutinho, both behaved appalingly to get a move, and in the case of Suarez, his first attempt was fu**ed off quick.

:o

I haven't said about cashing in?

The suggestion is not about what has happened in the past.  We have been developing until now.  From now on it is about sustainability! 
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #835: Feb 04, 2020 07:24:43 pm

Well, ye have me confused now chap, due to this;

Old FSG may have looked to cash in on him but I think they get it now that being 30 isnt an awful thing. Loads of good years ahead of him yet.

Then you replied

In my opinion:

Which is why I asked (not just you, I did say "lads" plural) which players have been cashed in on, as in moved on against their will etc and made sure to give context to the sales of Suarez and Coutinho.

Because I don't remember any, except fringe players or players the manager wanted gone.

Hence my confusion.

king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #836: Feb 04, 2020 07:45:40 pm
      OK that reply to Fields of ann!

When they came Henry made references to the Arsenal model and the Arsenal model was buy young and sell them at about 29-30 to sustain their model.  Until now it has been an exercise of development.  Now we are the best team in the world it is about sustaining our dominance.   But I don't think they will do it now and shouldn't in my opinion.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #837: Feb 04, 2020 07:51:19 pm
      OK that reply to Fields of ann!

When they came Henry made references to the Arsenal model and the Arsenal model was buy young and sell them at about 29-30 to sustain their model.  Until now it has been an exercise of development.  Now we are the best team in the world it is about sustaining our dominance.   But I don't think they will do it now and shouldn't in my opinion.

Fair enough.

TBF, Henry said a lot of things back then but didn't really understand how things work :) and in pretty much 10 years, it's never been part of our model as far as I can tell.

Michael Edwards pretty much changed everything when he took over the running of the club, and it seems to be to get players before they hit peak, then get them onto big contracts if they deserve them, which works a treat with a coach as talented as Klopp.

Gini, is fully deserving of a nice big, fat contract imo.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #838: Feb 04, 2020 08:13:10 pm
      This would not surprise me of our owners remember it's a business to them nothing else, I know I'm biased against them but that's the way I see it
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #839: Feb 04, 2020 09:09:16 pm
      This would not surprise me of our owners remember it's a business to them nothing else, I know I'm biased against them but that's the way I see it

Owners that give the green light to a nearly 3 year contract to the Milner's do not sell the Wijnaldum's of the world!
      « Last Edit: Feb 05, 2020 12:54:32 am by king kenny »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #840: Feb 05, 2020 08:25:10 pm
      Fair enough.

TBF, Henry said a lot of things back then but didn't really understand how things work :) and in pretty much 10 years, it's never been part of our model as far as I can tell.

Michael Edwards pretty much changed everything when he took over the running of the club, and it seems to be to get players before they hit peak, then get them onto big contracts if they deserve them, which works a treat with a coach as talented as Klopp.

Gini, is fully deserving of a nice big, fat contract imo.

ffs Michael Gordon, not Edwards D'OH   :lmao:
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #841: Feb 29, 2020 10:23:16 pm
      Missing in action tonight as usual away from home against low block sides would only play him against high intense games offers nothing creatively no assist for two years does not have the passing range when we are on the front foot just goes sideways or backwards
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #842: Feb 29, 2020 10:37:31 pm
      Yep agreed, needs to play the home games only when Jordan gets back.

Forgot he was on the pitch tonight until I saw his miserable face on the bench after being subbed.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #843: Mar 01, 2020 10:36:32 am
      Think since the talk about his future started is when his performances dropped off, he’s not been playing well for a while now.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #844: Mar 01, 2020 10:45:02 am
      Think since the talk about his future started is when his performances dropped off, he’s not been playing well for a while now.

We desperately need some more creativity in midfield, we need a De Bruyne or Stevie G type, perhaps that can be Curtis Jones.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #845: Mar 01, 2020 12:52:42 pm
      He is good at what he does, but simply what he does is not good enough for games like Yesterday where we need that driving force in Midfield, that player who is going to get the ball and take us forward, either through dribbling or positive passes. Ox was in the side for that but couldn't get it done, so Gini being on the other side just passing it to Robbo or VVD and retaining the ball wasn't enough.

It's so frustrating that Keita can't stay fit, I would love to have him in place of Gini for games like Yesterday, or even yet start to give Jones the chance to show that he can make a difference in these games.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #846: Mar 02, 2020 03:12:02 am
      He is good at what he does, but simply what he does is not good enough for games like Yesterday where we need that driving force in Midfield, that player who is going to get the ball and take us forward, either through dribbling or positive passes. Ox was in the side for that but couldn't get it done, so Gini being on the other side just passing it to Robbo or VVD and retaining the ball wasn't enough.

It's so frustrating that Keita can't stay fit, I would love to have him in place of Gini for games like Yesterday, or even yet start to give Jones the chance to show that he can make a difference in these games.

Everything you just said is spot on and the way I've been feeling for ages. Just wish Naby could become the Player we saw at Salzbourg. That's what we desperately need. Would make a massive difference.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #847: Mar 02, 2020 11:20:57 am
      I know this will sound silly but I have been feeling for a while that our midfield is actually quite weak, not in a defensive sense, we are obviously very strong there with Hendo, Fabinho etc, but in terms of attack we have almost zero creativity from midfield. I know this is partly by design as the midfield is supposed to contain play allowing the fullbacks to bomb forwards but I think we need to add another dimension to our play and that would be to have a really good attacking midfielder in the team, or two.

As an example just look at City in the first 25 minutes yesterday against Villa, they were met with a very low block but instead of just having a front three to aim to and lumping balls into them they effectively had about 8 players all making runs and intricate give and go's etc, it was so much more dynamic than we've been playing recently with our slow ponderous play and midfielders just passing sideways and down to the full backs, with none of them making a run forwards into the box.
      LFC007
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 102 posts | 17 
      Reply #848: Mar 02, 2020 11:26:36 pm
      I know this will sound silly but I have been feeling for a while that our midfield is actually quite weak, not in a defensive sense, we are obviously very strong there with Hendo, Fabinho etc, but in terms of attack we have almost zero creativity from midfield.

Jürgen would agree. The only interesting question is if Jürgen sees a solution from within by waiting patiently for someone to develop (Ox, Minamino, Keita) or from outside (Sancho,...), but it would cost us 70+ Mio., maybe a bit less if we give Keita as trade bait.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #849: Mar 03, 2020 10:08:16 am
      Jürgen would agree. The only interesting question is if Jürgen sees a solution from within by waiting patiently for someone to develop (Ox, Minamino, Keita) or from outside (Sancho,...), but it would cost us 70+ Mio., maybe a bit less if we give Keita as trade bait.

We have the money, we hardly spent feck all last summer and as said there are a couple who we could offload to raise funds.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #850: Mar 03, 2020 11:39:25 pm
      Go out and buy a midfielder that runs at defenders. I'm so F***ing sick of going out wide, throwing in a cross and no one on the end of it!

We are so predictable, can't believe all these other Teams couldn't figure us out, up until now!!!!

Quick Reply