Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool > PSG)

Read 192591 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum Player Thread
      Reply #920: Aug 25, 2020 10:23:17 am
      To be fair that was explained by The Boss. He said the only reason he played in the second half was because Jordan wasn't available and he played Gini in the Number 6 position because if Fab gets injured, only Jordan knows that role. He wants Gini to learn it may translate to Gini not going nowhere!

So basically first half team is more than likely to start against Arsenal ;)

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #921: Aug 25, 2020 12:10:35 pm
      I  obviously would rather him stay, but it is his choice, after all no player is bigger than the club, especially at Liverpool !
      « Last Edit: Aug 25, 2020 01:35:07 pm by David Wright »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #922: Aug 26, 2020 08:28:46 am
      Still one of our best MF players.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #923: Aug 26, 2020 08:45:00 am

yes and that's the issue, we can do better, Thiago would be an upgrade.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #924: Aug 26, 2020 11:15:45 am

Also arguably our most inconsistent too aside from Ox.

Iā€™ve said before, Iā€™m more than happy for him to stay but I think itā€™s been over a year now that weā€™ve been trying to extend his contract but itā€™s not happened, Iā€™m not so sure heā€™s as committed to the club as much as some people think he is.

I remember when he had an interview after the Barca comeback and he said that he was pissed off that he was benched and think he might have said he had words with Klopp about it(?), correct next if Iā€™m wrong there.
      Itā€™s been around since then heā€™s not shown inclination to extend his contract so maybe he isnā€™t prepared to spend the next few years of his career at a team where his place isnā€™t guaranteed in the starting line up.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #925: Aug 26, 2020 07:46:49 pm
      Iā€™m not so sure heā€™s as committed to the club as much as some people think he is.

I tend to agree. I have a feeling he wants another challenge.

I do think he loves it here and has enjoyed his time and possibly would stay of he had no other offers but I just have a gut feeling he wants to play in another European league before he retires or goes back home.

He's won the title and European Cup here so could see that as job done and time for a fresh challenge. Helping get Barca back would be an attractive option for many players.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #926: Aug 27, 2020 05:06:25 am
      So basically first half team is more than likely to start against Arsenal ;)

Basically, unless they do a straight swap between Gini and Messi in next 2 days. No money exchanges hands!  :D :D :D :D
      Dragonmark
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts | 28 
      Reply #927: Aug 27, 2020 11:49:55 pm
      Only Barca player I'm trading Gini for is Messi, otherwise F**k off Barca!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #928: Aug 28, 2020 08:59:16 am
      yes and that's the issue, we can do better, Thiago would be an upgrade.

Thiago is an upgrade on many players though. ;D

Just seen that its the club that not offering him a new deal, so it maybe Gini goes now for some money, or he sits tight till January and signs a pre-contract with someone.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #929: Aug 28, 2020 05:52:45 pm
      Thiago is an upgrade on many players though. ;D

Just seen that its the club that not offering him a new deal, so it maybe Gini goes now for some money, or he sits tight till January and signs a pre-contract with someone.

I thought it was just that the club had put contract talks on hold whilst C-19 was going on.

I believe they've started again now that things have settled down a bit.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #930: Aug 28, 2020 06:07:56 pm
      I thought it was just that the club had put contract talks on hold whilst C-19 was going on.

why would contract talks be on hold during C-19, surely that would be a very good time to negotiate these things.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #931: Aug 28, 2020 07:02:10 pm
      why would contract talks be on hold during C-19, surely that would be a very good time to negotiate these things.

Yeh don't buy the media BS myself.  One of our core players and we haven't yet offered him a contract extension.   Surely he would have had one available a long time ago probably before lock down.  The financial package or and length may not have been attractive to Gini is another thing but some sort of contract would surely have been on the table. 

It is getting late now though would be surprised if he signed one now.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #932: Sep 02, 2020 01:49:12 pm
      Think heā€™ll probably hold out to move on a free, then youā€™ll hear all the usual bollocks About ā€˜how the club failed to convince me that I was a part of their future plansā€™

Get it signed or get him out while we can still get a price for him.
      Then use the dosh for Tiago.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #933: Sep 02, 2020 03:52:23 pm

Yea. Im not so sure this is right now. Mustve offered him something, so hes probably negotiating or just flat out saying hes off on a free next season or now for a fee.

He may well just fancy 1 last big move to a different league, a move to spain to play in the sun. ;D

All very interesting.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #934: Sep 03, 2020 06:00:39 pm

''Gini Wijnaldum was asked multiple times about Barcelona rumours as he joined up with the Netherlands national teamā€¦and didnā€™t exactly offer an emphatic denial.''

''ā€œThatā€™s a rumour, I canā€™t say more about it,ā€'' was all he said.''

Way I see it is that it leaves the door wide open. It's not a decisive statement in one way or another. It's not a surprise that he would answer that anyway given what we know so far. Just thought I'd put it here for people who might not have seen it/heard his comments.

rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #935: Sep 03, 2020 07:21:38 pm
      Gut says he is going
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #936: Sep 03, 2020 07:32:10 pm
      How much can we sell him for in the market?
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #937: Sep 03, 2020 07:47:55 pm
      How much can we sell him for in the market?
      I have no idea. I'll say something between 20 and 30M but that's based on absolutely nothing haha.

Edit: okay no, I'll say between 15 and 25M
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #938: Sep 03, 2020 07:59:05 pm
      I have no idea. I'll say something between 20 and 30M but that's based on absolutely nothing haha.

Edit: okay no, I'll say between 15 and 25M

Would agree with you there not ideal when people like Doucoure going for more but guess that's the risk when on last year of contract
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #939: Sep 03, 2020 08:24:29 pm
      Just want to say, whatever happens, that Gini has been a very important part of the success this team has achieved since his arrival. He takes some abuse here and elsewhere on line because, I guess, they are expecting him to be another kind of player than the one JĆ¼rgen asks him to be, but he has played his roles to the max and been a model professional throughout his time here.

If he is leaving, I know he goes with the appreciation of so many followers of the club.

And if he is leaving, he will be difficult to replace.

king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #940: Sep 03, 2020 08:31:38 pm
      Just want to say, whatever happens, that Gini has been a very important part of the success this team has achieved since his arrival. He takes some abuse here and elsewhere on line because, I guess, they are expecting him to be another kind of player than the one JĆ¼rgen asks him to be, but he has played his roles to the max and been a model professional throughout his time here.

If he is leaving, I know he goes with the appreciation of so many followers of the club.

Totally agree with that as long he doesn't get backache the last minute. :D

Yeah he has been absolutely marvelous no qualms with him whatsoever. 

rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #941: Sep 03, 2020 08:44:52 pm

Yep spot on been integral since the start , good injury record scored some big goals and sacrificed his game to a certain extent to follow what the boss wanted . However things move on and think tinkering with a few things will do no harm and what other choice do we have if no contract signed
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #942: Sep 04, 2020 05:20:52 pm

Difficult to replace, I do not agree with you. But I do agree that he played a vital role in our brilliant success for both UCL and PL.

If we replace him with Thiago, I'm happy but if not, I won't be a happy fan. For me, Jones is still to early to depend on him for a whole season.

Quick Reply