Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool > PSG)

Read 192680 times
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum Player Thread
      Reply #1288: Mar 22, 2021 12:08:46 pm
      Let's replace him with Ødegaard.

Sign me up.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1289: Mar 22, 2021 01:03:23 pm
      Both Thiago and Gini have had absolutely poor stats. Gini scores 2 or 3 goals per season and provides an assist one very rare occasions. You might be spot on.

Stats don't even tell half a story when applied to our midfield.

Look at the stats for midfielders at other clubs, then compare them to our fullbacks.

Then take that clubs FB stats and compare them to our midfielders.

Then the penny might drop.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1290: Mar 22, 2021 01:39:21 pm
      Stats don't even tell half a story when applied to our midfield.

Look at the stats for midfielders at other clubs, then compare them to our fullbacks.

Then take that clubs FB stats and compare them to our midfielders.

Then the penny might drop.

Yes.

Anybody who is ever involved in a debate about the stats of our midfield under Klopp, first of all, needs to have knowledge of the game and, then, you can refer to the post, above.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1291: Mar 22, 2021 03:46:31 pm
      Thanks for your efforts here Gini.

Making a mistake, one youll regret. My final comment good or bad on this player

Yep I wish him the best as well and can understand wanting to try playing in Spain and Barca no matter when you go there is a huge club.

Personally, and it's no slight on his efforts, I'd be hoping we don't play him game in game out now and focus on the players who have a long term future here
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1292: Mar 22, 2021 11:26:30 pm
      Yep I wish him the best as well and can understand wanting to try playing in Spain and Barca no matter when you go there is a huge club.

Personally, and it's no slight on his efforts, I'd be hoping we don't play him game in game out now and focus on the players who have a long term future here

Yeah mate agreed, he can play the 2 games against Real Madrid because he's going to have to get a jump on that rivalry from next season but apart from that, he can sit on the bench for me!
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #1293: Mar 23, 2021 02:38:23 pm
      Fabs..........perpetuall y nicked up/misses games
      Thiago....... yearly injury woes
      Milner.........more nicked with age
      Keita...........training table is 2nd home
      Henderson....beaten up/misses games
      Ox..............glass
      Shaq............fragile

Jones.........so far so good

Gini.................Iron Man
      This will be missed
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1294: Mar 23, 2021 02:52:35 pm
      Gini might not get the headlines, but he's incredibly consistent and plays a LOT of games.
      Will never forget his two goals in the semi vs Barca.
      Seems like a modest quiet guy who gets on with it, does exactly what Jürgen wants, and it suited his game.
      Big opportunity at Barca, with the coach there who knows him, can't begrudge him a change.
      If he goes, which seems likely, all the best to him.
      We'll be weaker for loosing him, and he needs to be replaced [he's a very consistent starter].
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1295: Mar 23, 2021 07:39:15 pm
      Fabs..........perpetually nicked up/misses games
      Thiago....... yearly injury woes
      Milner.........more nicked with age
      Keita...........training table is 2nd home
      Henderson....beaten up/misses games
      Ox..............glass
      Shaq............fragile

Jones.........so far so good

Gini.................Iron Man
      This will be missed

Hahahaha F**k off comparing Gini to the likes of Thiago and Fab you divvy. And calling him iron man is complete irony. There is a reason he doesn't get injured!!
      Alfonzo
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #1296: Mar 23, 2021 07:57:50 pm
      Gini is a decent player who never gets injured... however he always seems to be in the place where the ball isn’t!!!! People tell me he covers every blade of grass when he plays but so does my lawnmower...
      He hasn’t had an assist in a premier league goal in nearly 3 seasons... pathetic
      Am glad he’s off to Barca and allow the future in Curtis and others to shine... he’s not prepared to sign a contract for Liverpool so don’t beg him to and certainly don’t play him cos his passing is too slow and usually sideways or backwards and creativity is nil... yer I’ll never forget the 2 goals against Barca but he did come on as sub and that’s probably his best position...
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #1297: Mar 24, 2021 12:21:25 am
      Gini is a decent player who never gets injured... however he always seems to be in the place where the ball isn’t!!!! People tell me he covers every blade of grass when he plays but so does my lawnmower...
      He hasn’t had an assist in a premier league goal in nearly 3 seasons... pathetic
      Am glad he’s off to Barca and allow the future in Curtis and others to shine... he’s not prepared to sign a contract for Liverpool so don’t beg him to and certainly don’t play him cos his passing is too slow and usually sideways or backwards and creativity is nil... yer I’ll never forget the 2 goals against Barca but he did come on as sub and that’s probably his best position...
      Great stuff. Looking forward to your next brilliant analysis.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #1298: Mar 24, 2021 04:51:37 am

I kind of agree with you, but on one point, in terms of skills and ability, Wijnaldum is much more than a decent player. He's a very very good player. But it is not enough. As a midfielder, you should be having an impact on the game. He simply doesn't. He's great when the team is doing great but when we're poor, he'll never take responsibilities.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1299: Mar 24, 2021 07:33:59 am
      He's a good servant and helped us a lot but he is not irreplaceable by any means.

Good luck for your last two months and hope we can close your chapter with the Big ears ;)
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1300: Mar 24, 2021 09:01:32 am
      Gonna be a massive loss, but never begrudge a player leaving any club after giving so many years service.

Alt best Gini.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1301: Mar 24, 2021 09:34:05 am
      Gini might not get the headlines, but he's incredibly consistent and plays a LOT of games.
      Will never forget his two goals in the semi vs Barca.
      Seems like a modest quiet guy who gets on with it, does exactly what Jürgen wants, and it suited his game.
      Big opportunity at Barca, with the coach there who knows him, can't begrudge him a change.
      If he goes, which seems likely, all the best to him.
      We'll be weaker for loosing him, and he needs to be replaced [he's a very consistent starter].

A puzzle why the club did not give him the contract he wanted then, perhaps Jürgen does not rate him quite as highly as you do.  Gini is a very solid defender who plays in midfield, he brings next to zero creativity to the team, I want proper midfielders again, ones who occasionally score a bloody goal or at least assist!!
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1302: Mar 24, 2021 12:32:46 pm
      A puzzle why the club did not give him the contract he wanted then, perhaps Jürgen does not rate him quite as highly as you do.  Gini is a very solid defender who plays in midfield, he brings next to zero creativity to the team, I want proper midfielders again, ones who occasionally score a bloody goal or at least assist!!

It's no secret this team needs significant retooling over the next 2-3 years before Jürgen leaves us since a lot of our key players are entering their 30s. Gini is the first chip to fall and there will be more.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1303: Mar 24, 2021 01:32:43 pm

Perhaps you need to build your understanding that football is as much about space, and how to occupy it, as it is to do with what happens on the ball.

Without the intelligent use of space (positioning) you can't move the ball.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1304: Mar 25, 2021 09:46:20 am
      We'll miss him more than you might think. There's a reason he's played so many games for us under Jürgen and I hope his replacement is a good one.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #1305: Mar 25, 2021 10:53:30 am
      We'll miss him more than you might think. There's a reason he's played so many games for us under Jürgen and I hope his replacement is a good one.

I agree, a massive loss
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1306: Mar 25, 2021 02:11:00 pm

If someone can't see what Gini brings to the team, then basically, they don't understand what they are looking at when they watch a match.

I know it sounds hrash, but I've given up trying to educate idiots who just want to point the finger and scapegoat players, because they can't be arsed trying to understand what's in front of them.

Gini has performed a role that goes unnoticed.
      His value will become apparrent when he's no longer there.
      Same as with Henderson.
      Alfonzo
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #1307: Mar 25, 2021 02:30:01 pm
      He do is in a different class to gini... even when Hendo not having the greatest of games he’s so influential and when he’s not there we’re like a boat without a rudder !!! Obviously your all experts on the game and can evaluate space and tactics but everyone entitled to their own opinion... klopp can’t be wrong selecting gini every game and 95% of the lads I go the game with love him but unfortunately he doesn’t do enough for me... coincidentally gini was captain when we lost our unbeaten run at home because he cannot grab a game by the scruff of its neck... furthermore he’s only created 1 assist for a premier league goal in the last 3 full seasons...
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #1308: Mar 25, 2021 05:07:53 pm
      Sorry but I think Gini is bang average. Has his good games, as does everybody, but his goal and assist count tell you everything. If he was a specific defensive midfielder, playing in front of the back four ok, but as an offensive player he doesn't offer enough consistently.
      I'm hoping we won't rely on what we've got when he moves on, but get a quality creative player who can rotate with what we've got, bringing something different when the standard play doesn't produce. We clearly need more versatility, rather than the same old.
       Just as a matter if interest, does anyone know what sort of contract Barca have offered him, longevity wise that is ?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #1309: Mar 25, 2021 05:08:36 pm
      Sorry but I think Gini is bang average. Has his good games, as does everybody, but his goal and assist count tell you everything. If he was a specific defensive midfielder, playing in front of the back four ok, but as an offensive player he doesn't offer enough consistently.
      I'm hoping we won't rely on what we've got when he moves on, but get a quality dominant creative player who can rotate with what we've got, bringing something different when the standard play doesn't produce. We clearly need more versatility, rather than the same old.
       Just as a matter if interest, does anyone know what sort of contract Barca have offered him, longevity wise that is ?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1310: Mar 25, 2021 05:21:30 pm
      I'm hoping we won't rely on what we've got when he moves on, but get a quality dominant creative player who can rotate with what we've got, bringing something different when the standard play doesn't produce. We clearly need more versatility, rather than the same old.

He's not an attacking player.
      He supports behind and inside Robertson on the left as his main role.
      He wins the ball back and recycles it.

When our squad is fully fit Fabinho is the DM.

On our left we have (in order of attacking role) Mane, Robertson, Wijnaldum
      On our right (same order) Salah, TAA, Henderson

When we attack down the right, Wijnaldum will drift further infield, to support Fabinho, in winning the ball back and recycling possession, Mane will be in the box, Robertson at the top corner of the box.

Same goes for Henderson (+Salah, TAA) when we attack primarily down the left.

When the ball is recycled and switched to the other side, the midfielder for that side, goes out to cover behind and slightly inside the FB.

How people can't see this basic setup of Klopp's system after all these years is beyond me.

Quick Reply