Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Huawei 'phones

Read 7026 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Huawei 'phones
      Feb 12, 2018 07:34:32 pm
       xxxxx:action-smiley-065: Hi all.

As some of you may know I like my iPhones, but after multiple 'new' 'phones I can't see the point in spending a fortune for a new iPhone, when it is basically the same as my 5SE, just a different case, same apps, same icons, same limited memory.... I could go on.

Went to Vodafone today and this 'phone was suggested, Huawei P smart,

https://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/contracts-and-deals/huawei-p-smart/sku200459

What do people think?

Are they a good manufacturer?

Has anyone got this make, what are the pros & cons?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Re: Huawei 'phones
      Reply #1: Feb 12, 2018 09:39:10 pm
      I'm not sure about that model RP but I've had the Huawei P9 for the best part of two years now.

Great phone with excellent build quality and I have had no problems with it at all.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2: Feb 12, 2018 10:44:34 pm
      Not in stock when I went in, otherwise I'd have got one, my phone was dead.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3: Feb 13, 2018 12:14:49 am

I remember having a temporary Huawei phone about a year or so ago when my iPhone was being sorted. No idea what model it was, think it was an older one though. All I know is it was utter sh*t and I think within the first hour it had been chucked across the room it was that bad. Bloody thing didn't even break either.

Will never go near this brand again I don't think, that one experience was enough.

Has anyone got this make, what are the pros & cons?

No pro's to the brand. Lots of cons; slow as Peter Crouch, freezes like Migs, battery as strong as Sturridge' injury avoidance, as good as Woy.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #4: Feb 13, 2018 02:27:27 am

No pro's to the brand. Lots of cons; slow as Peter Crouch, freezes like Migs, battery as strong as Sturridge' injury avoidance, as good as Woy.

:lmao:

So stay as clear of these as Mignolet does of goal-bound shots then? :D
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #5: Apr 23, 2018 12:02:56 pm
      Speaking as a Samsung advocate...

Huawei phones from the P10 onwards (especially this latest P20 series) are off the charts. They're good. Very good.

They manufacture their own Kirin processors, and these are generally as good as, if not better, than the latest Snapdragon and Exynos processors that Qualcomm and Samsung, respectively, manufacture.

Build quality is good, but not amazing. Samsung and Apple still have the edge when it comes to durability and the premium feel of materials used, but not by much.

The cameras (especially from the P20 onwards) are the best on the market. As an S9+ user, I thought I had the best camera on a smartphone until the P20 Pro came out and absolutely blitzed it with its 5x optical zoom. Low-light photography still isn't as good as the Samsung, however, and the OIS is still quite shaky when it comes to any sort of video.

The screen is LCD, which means it drains on the battery more than the AMOLED screens that Samsung (and now Apple with the iPhone X) are using. So to counteract this, Huawei pack their phones with larger batteries which ensures that the battery life is as good as the aforementioned.

UI experience is different for an Android phone. I would say it's more like an iPhone than an Android due to the layout - it's just all one home screen, no app drawer or anything like that. Although, due to the open nature of Android, there are launchers that you can download to give it any feel you'd like - classic android, a custom theme, anything.

Huawei's fast charge is quicker than both Samsung and Apple's. It can charge 50% in about 32 minutes, which is great for such high capacity batteries. I believe it's actually the quickest on the market right now, though I may be wrong.

Umm, not much more to say really. The model I'd avoid would definitely be the P Smart if you are going to go with Huawei. It's just a phone they made look expensive, but has really poor specs. The dual-camera isn't even that great.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #6: Jun 07, 2018 06:36:34 pm
      Speaking as a Samsung advocate...

Huawei phones from the P10 onwards (especially this latest P20 series) are off the charts. They're good. Very good.

They manufacture their own Kirin processors, and these are generally as good as, if not better, than the latest Snapdragon and Exynos processors that Qualcomm and Samsung, respectively, manufacture.

Build quality is good, but not amazing. Samsung and Apple still have the edge when it comes to durability and the premium feel of materials used, but not by much.

The cameras (especially from the P20 onwards) are the best on the market. As an S9+ user, I thought I had the best camera on a smartphone until the P20 Pro came out and absolutely blitzed it with its 5x optical zoom. Low-light photography still isn't as good as the Samsung, however, and the OIS is still quite shaky when it comes to any sort of video.

The screen is LCD, which means it drains on the battery more than the AMOLED screens that Samsung (and now Apple with the iPhone X) are using. So to counteract this, Huawei pack their phones with larger batteries which ensures that the battery life is as good as the aforementioned.

UI experience is different for an Android phone. I would say it's more like an iPhone than an Android due to the layout - it's just all one home screen, no app drawer or anything like that. Although, due to the open nature of Android, there are launchers that you can download to give it any feel you'd like - classic android, a custom theme, anything.

Huawei's fast charge is quicker than both Samsung and Apple's. It can charge 50% in about 32 minutes, which is great for such high capacity batteries. I believe it's actually the quickest on the market right now, though I may be wrong.

Umm, not much more to say really. The model I'd avoid would definitely be the P Smart if you are going to go with Huawei. It's just a phone they made look expensive, but has really poor specs. The dual-camera isn't even that great.
      They're good but like all phones there are some issues.
      I found the charging time to be slow on my Huawei. The back of the phone gets too warm.
      Huawei do decent lite versions of their phones but cutbacks usually are usually no gorilla glass and weaker gpu.
      I would have got a p20 lite, but the upgrade is not worth it from p8, p9, p10 because of the lack of Gorilla Glass.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #7: Jul 30, 2018 04:22:21 pm
      I've the P20 Pro myself and I love it. I've been between Huawei and iPhone on my last few phones.

Keep an eye out for the Mate 20 Pro that gets released by Huawei very soon after the Samsung Note 9, supposed to be the bee's knees.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #8: Aug 14, 2018 05:20:17 pm
      I've the P20 Pro myself and I love it. I've been between Huawei and iPhone on my last few phones.

Had a Sony Xperia ZX3 for four years.  Was a superb phone but 4 years is a long time and eventually the screen packed in (it was still quick and battery was still perfect).

Anyway, I wasn't pumping a grand on an iPhone (had iPhones before - last about a year till an update ruins them).  Had a serious look at the P20 - think it was about £550 or something. Couldn't justify the Pro at a couple of hundred more. In the end got the Honor 10 (came down to £369 the day I was deciding).  It is VERY VERY good.  Obviously early days with it but I just cannot understand a £700 difference for an iPhone. 

So, from me - Huawei or even their Honor brand, seem exceptionally good value and I wouldn't even mind if part of the ridiculously low price was being spied on by the Chinese government. ;)

I found the charging time to be slow on my Huawei.

Honor 10 charges from 0 to 50% in about 20 minutes.  Think the lowest the battery has been down to at the end of the day has been 40% so not an issue I've had so far.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #9: Aug 15, 2018 10:32:02 am
      Had a Sony Xperia ZX3 for four years.  Was a superb phone but 4 years is a long time and eventually the screen packed in (it was still quick and battery was still perfect).

Anyway, I wasn't pumping a grand on an iPhone (had iPhones before - last about a year till an update ruins them).  Had a serious look at the P20 - think it was about £550 or something. Couldn't justify the Pro at a couple of hundred more. In the end got the Honor 10 (came down to £369 the day I was deciding).  It is VERY VERY good.  Obviously early days with it but I just cannot understand a £700 difference for an iPhone. 

So, from me - Huawei or even their Honor brand, seem exceptionally good value and I wouldn't even mind if part of the ridiculously low price was being spied on by the Chinese government. ;)

Honor 10 charges from 0 to 50% in about 20 minutes.  Think the lowest the battery has been down to at the end of the day has been 40% so not an issue I've had so far.

Honor are fab too, it's a Huawei anyway sure.

Got the P20 Pro on contract me, was 30 per month with 20gb data.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #10: May 06, 2020 06:16:24 pm
      Anyone got a P30?

Just upgraded today and waiting on it being delivered.

Any good?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #11: May 06, 2020 06:25:40 pm
      Anyone got a P30?

Just upgraded today and waiting on it being delivered.

Any good?

Don't have it on 5G.

Heard you can get coronavirus from it.
      And it's chinese, so...

;)

Quick Reply