Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

RIP Gerry McIver

Read 7583 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      RIP Gerry McIver
      Jul 29, 2016 10:27:18 am
      Found out the great man who fronted the desk in the HJC shop sadly passed away last night.

He was always a great man to talk to and had time for everyone. He was also very supportive to all who have been affected by Hillsborough and was at the campaign from day one.

When we done fundraising for Zoes Place Baby Hospice nearly a decade ago, he donated some books and Tshirts so we could raffle them off on the night and some of the remaining items have been won on competitions on this forum in the past.

I pay my respects to him and pass on my deepest condolences to all his family and close friends.

YNWA Gerry.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8459 
      Re: RIP Gerry McIver
      Reply #1: Jul 29, 2016 12:26:22 pm
      Found out the great man who fronted the desk in the HJC shop sadly passed away last night.

He was always a great man to talk to and had time for everyone. He was also very supportive to all who have been affected by Hillsborough and was at the campaign from day one.

When we done fundraising for Zoes Place Baby Hospice nearly a decade ago, he donated some books and Tshirts so we could raffle them off on the night and some of the remaining items have been won on competitions on this forum in the past.

I pay my respects to him and pass on my deepest condolences to all his family and close friends.

YNWA Gerry.

Not long read about the collection being sorted for him - because he wouldn't take a penny or get paid for everything he did in looking after the HJC Shop.

Sad news that, whenever you called into the shop he was always friendly and helpful, even going as far as letting some of the younger fans stash their banners and flags. And was always handing out loads of the campaign stickers to them.

Echo what Redkenny said about what a truly nice bloke he was.

Condolences to his family and friends and thank-you for everything he did in the campaign for justice - even when the club wouldn't even recognise the HJC.

YNWA Gerry
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #2: Jul 29, 2016 12:44:58 pm
      Lovely man - spoke to him at length with my boys the first time we visited the shop a few years ago.

RIP Gerry. YNWA
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #3: Jul 29, 2016 06:40:42 pm
      YNWA RIP Gerry
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4: Jul 29, 2016 06:48:14 pm
      RIP Gerry. Just reading about all his efforts and you begin to realise it is humans like him we should all aspire to be like.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #5: Jul 30, 2016 03:50:24 pm
      RIP Gerry
      Tireless volunteer for the HJC, never sought praise or recognition for his great contribution to the campaign.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8459 
      Reply #6: Oct 27, 2016 01:10:15 pm
      Hillsborough campaigner Gerry McIver honoured by Liverpool supporters

Hillsborough campaigner Gerry McIver was honoured by Liverpool supporters before the EFL Cup victory over Tottenham at Anfield.

The 81-year-old stalwart of the Hillsborough Justice Campaign died in July aged 81 after a battle with illness.

Described as ‘the backbone of the HJC’, the tireless volunteer supported and counselled survivors for many years and was a permanent fixture in the campaign’s shop on Walton Breck Road.

As a mark of respect, Liverpool supporters’ union Spirit of Shankly commissioned a painting for Mr McIver’s family on behalf of its members while a flag in his honour was flown on the Kop before the match for the first time.

Presenting the painting on behalf of SOS, Phil Rowan said: “Definitely, without doubt, we can say of Gerry that he looked after his own.

“The story goes that when the HJC was first starting and they got the first building (on Oakfield Road), it was actually Ricky Tomlinson who said to Gerry, “Can you come in and do an hour’s painting?”.

“He came in and he never left, he just stayed for those years, helping out.

“There’s people I’ve spoken to who say they wouldn’t be alive but for Gerry and the support he gave them.

“We talked about what we could do to honour Gerry and when something comes from the fans and the people Gerry looked after himself, it means a lot more.

“The painting is a token of our respect for everything he did.”

Gerry’s daughter Jan O’Keefe said: “I would just like to thank all involved. It’s hard to find the words but we’re just overwhelmed by all the support from everyone.

“The painting is lovely and it will take pride of place in my mum’s. “

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/hillsborough-campaigner-gerry-mciver-honoured-12082136#ICID=sharebar_facebook

Would of been nice for the club to have actually acknowledged Gerry's passing, as he did more for the fight for justice than anyone at the club ever did.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #7: Oct 27, 2016 01:13:36 pm

Hillsborough campaigner Gerry McIver was honoured by Liverpool supporters before the EFL Cup victory over Tottenham at Anfield.

The 81-year-old stalwart of the Hillsborough Justice Campaign died in July aged 81 after a battle with illness.

Described as ‘the backbone of the HJC’, the tireless volunteer supported and counselled survivors for many years and was a permanent fixture in the campaign’s shop on Walton Breck Road.

As a mark of respect, Liverpool supporters’ union Spirit of Shankly commissioned a painting for Mr McIver’s family on behalf of its members while a flag in his honour was flown on the Kop before the match for the first time.

Presenting the painting on behalf of SOS, Phil Rowan said: “Definitely, without doubt, we can say of Gerry that he looked after his own.

“The story goes that when the HJC was first starting and they got the first building (on Oakfield Road), it was actually Ricky Tomlinson who said to Gerry, “Can you come in and do an hour’s painting?”.

“There’s people I’ve spoken to who say they wouldn’t be alive but for Gerry and the support he gave them.

“We talked about what we could do to honour Gerry and when something comes from the fans and the people Gerry looked after himself, it means a lot more.

Gerry’s daughter Jan O’Keefe said: “I would just like to thank all involved. It’s hard to find the words but we’re just overwhelmed by all the support from everyone.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/hillsborough-campaigner-gerry-mciver-honoured-12082136#ICID=sharebar_facebook

Would of been nice for the club to have actually acknowledged Gerry's passing, as he did more for the fight for justice than anyone at the club ever did.

I heard that it was put to the "other" campaign group about doing something but they refused mate.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8459 
      Reply #8: Oct 27, 2016 01:15:09 pm
      I heard that it was put to the "other" campaign group about doing something but they refused mate.

Oh I already know and read up about it, totally disgusted in the club and the HFSG with their behaviour surrounding this.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #9: Oct 27, 2016 01:17:31 pm
      Oh I already know and read up about it, totally disgusted in the club and the HFSG with their behaviour surrounding this.

Same here mate, shocked and disgusted.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #10: Oct 27, 2016 01:52:52 pm

Totally out of order, those involved or more correctly not involved should hang their heads in collective shame.
      Never thought LFC would act as dispassionate toward any aspect of the HJC never mind ignore the passing of someone who contributed as much as Gerry McIver to achieve justice.
      Disgraceful.

Once again  RIP Gerry McIver.

Quick Reply