Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Language Barrier?

Read 5597 times
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,657 posts | 485 
      Re: Language Barrier?
      Reply #23: Jan 16, 2016 09:19:51 am
      With Klopp, we still "make" goals 3 months in. Sometimes.

His English may not be fluent, and we're still scratching our heads over what exactly "the salt in the soup" is, but the declaration that the washed up oap down the road is the "John Lennon" of football was a glaring error. If Roy or Rodgers said it instead, I reckon the pitchforks would be coming out.

He needs to learn more Scouse as well.
      His English is good enough to be easily understood TBH. Jürgen is a world class manager, so he would know better than you as to what he needs to learn.

As for you, you need to learn to get rationale with all liverpool managers.
      welshred
      • Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts | 128 
      Reply #24: Jan 16, 2016 10:51:58 am

His English may not be fluent, and we're still scratching our heads over what exactly "the salt in the soup" is, but the declaration that the washed up oap down the road is the "John Lennon" of football was a glaring error. If Roy or Rodgers said it instead, I reckon the pitchforks would be coming out.

I've read some sh*t in my time and this is right up there with the best of it.

The pitchforks came out with Rodgers in terms of what he was saying when both the performances and results were bad and he kept defending them with the moronic 'the lads showed great character'. He was mocked for defending performances that were completely indefensible yet he continued to go down this road right until the end.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #25: Jan 16, 2016 11:14:15 am
      I'm a foreigner but in Malta English is the official second language of the country. The government sends his letter both in Maltese and in English.

The players need basic English, they need to know these words: Man on, pass, behind, shot, quick, tackle, push, run, go, take a breather, aggressive, push out, drop deeper, flanks etc

If they do not know these after 6 months they should not play. As a teacher myself (not of English), Liverpool needs an English teacher full time.

I know. Light bulb moment . 

Gerard Houllier ?
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #26: Jan 16, 2016 11:31:51 am
      This is a really interesting topic and one I've been thinking about a bit lately.  I speak a few languages, some better than others, and it's always frustrated me when I see an interview, pre or post match, with a player or manager whose native language is not English, and the reporters just assume that if they speak some English, it means that they will understand them.  There's the CEFR, which is the "official" way to determine the level someone speaks a language at, going from A1 (total beginner) to C2 (when you speak almost as well as native speakers).  So if you wanted to, say, go work in France, you might need a B2 (high intermediate) or a C1 (low advanced) certificate, and they have tests that correspond with those levels.

Klopp, for example, his English is not that great.  that's no knock on him, he is already improving and he's only been here a short while, but I can't believe some of the obscure expressions they use in his pressers, they speak as fast as they would with a native speaker, they use these very regional colloquialisms etc.  And you can tell that sometimes he doesn't understand the questions.  I would be very interested to know what the club is doing to help him improve his English as well.  For example, he's been here almost two months and he is still saying to "make" a goal, instead of "score" a goal.  "We had a lot of possession but we could not make a goal."  I can't believe no one has said "hey gaffer, the right expression is to "score" a goal."  It would take two seconds.  The good thing is his English is already starting to improve.

Van Gaal for example has another problem with that, whenever he uses the future tense he says "shall" instead of "will."  I noticed that on MOTD, he says stuff like "he is injured, so he shall not play tomorrow."  No one has told him either that no one says "shall" anymore, it's not 1800.  A manager whose English is really good and surprised me is Bilic, he speaks very well, really intricately, probably C1 I'd say.  The best one obviously is Wenger, his English is flawless, but then again he's been here for 20 years.

I think the players can do it if they set their minds to it.  Anyone can learn a language at any age.  Tevez never wanted to work on his English so he never did.  Masch on the other hand speaks almost perfect English.  Even Suarez made an attempt to learn it.  The players can do it if they put some effort into it.  Maybe some of them just don't think it's worth it.

Linguistics is not needed. Well, not in the OTT sense you're on about.

The nuances or word choices you are picking those up on, does not detract from the meaning behind what is being said.

And in Language, meaning is everything - not word choices.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Reply #27: Jan 16, 2016 05:31:47 pm

You don't half talk bollocks.

The manager needs to be able to get on well with the players and staff and get his message across, not worry about the semantic difference between "making" or "scoring" a goal.

It's like someone calling you a total wopdong -- not in the dictionary, but you still get the message.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,338 posts | 1010 
      Reply #28: Jan 16, 2016 06:37:57 pm

What a load of Klopp trott! You may need a Klopp hug, but you ain't gettin one anytime soon.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #29: Jan 16, 2016 06:42:54 pm

Oh F**k off!
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,546 posts | 725 
      Reply #30: Jan 16, 2016 06:50:55 pm
      This Forum topic is sponsored by The Daily Mail.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #31: Jan 16, 2016 08:15:30 pm

I will add a bit of scouse to your reply.Oh F**k off la.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #32: Jan 18, 2016 07:36:12 am
      Quote from welshred
      The pitchforks came out with Rodgers in terms of what he was saying when both the performances and results were bad and he kept defending them with the moronic 'the lads showed great character'. He was mocked for defending performances that were completely indefensible yet he continued to go down this road right until the end.

So what. The post isn't about Rodgers. It's about Klopp describing the bitterest of bitter Red opponents as the John Lennon of football. Rather incredibly, he then went even further, describing the old tyrant as the "greatest ever", despite photos, mementos, and multiple trophies from proper coaches everywhere in and around the ground, even as far as the gates into and out of the place.

Now the last coach to wax lyrical of said opponent while he was here, was condemned for it. Rightly so. I don't really care how many times they've met over the years, as a Liverpool coach, you just can't say what he said. It's wrong, full stop.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,208 posts | 8567 
      Reply #33: Jan 18, 2016 12:21:08 pm
      So what. The post isn't about Rodgers. It's about Klopp describing the bitterest of bitter Red opponents as the John Lennon of football. Rather incredibly, he then went even further, describing the old tyrant as the "greatest ever", despite photos, mementos, and multiple trophies from proper coaches everywhere in and around the ground, even as far as the gates into and out of the place.

Now the last coach to wax lyrical of said opponent while he was here, was condemned for it. Rightly so. I don't really care how many times they've met over the years, as a Liverpool coach, you just can't say what he said. It's wrong, full stop.

Holiday like a German, travel super!! Let it go lid, by this time next year, he probably won't even be mentioning Ferguson or maybe Klopp does have respect for Ferguson like Rafa did until the mancs pissed him off.

Here's a shocking thing, Shankly used to go to Old Trafford every Friday without failure and have lunch with Matt Busby!!

Compose yourself and get back to slagging off Rafa
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #34: Jan 18, 2016 04:18:40 pm

You think he should have nominated Rafa instead?
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #35: Aug 07, 2016 11:58:43 am
      This year's signings:
      Mane: English speaker
      Karius: English speaker
      Klavan: English speaker
      Wijnaldum: English speaker

Returnees:
      Markovic: English speaker

Not sure about Matip and Grujic yet, but if not, they should be able to speak the language soon. It looks like the days of signing players with no English at all like Coutinho, Firmino, and Moreno are behind us, which can only benefit the team when it's time to dig in and understand what is needed to get the right result at the time.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #36: Aug 07, 2016 12:01:22 pm
      This year's signings:
      Mane: English speaker
      Karius: English speaker
      Klavan: English speaker
      Wijnaldum: English speaker

Returnees:
      Markovic: English speaker

Not sure about Matip and Grujic yet, but if not, they should be able to speak the language soon. It looks like the days of signing players with no English at all like Coutinho, Firmino, and Moreno are behind us, which can only benefit the team when it's time to dig in and understand what is needed to get the right result at the time.

Both Matip & Grujic speak good English.

Quick Reply