Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The Olympics 2016

Read 75853 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: The Olympics 2016
      Reply #23: Aug 03, 2016 09:39:58 pm
      Has to be looked at as Britains best ever sports star.

In an era where we are spoilt for choice with regards to Great British sports stars that is an achievement in itself. But to be called the greatest British sportsman of all time is testament to just how highly he is thought of in this country. He wasn't the most popular of British sports stars at the start of his career and a lot of people were quite sniffy towards him because he was seen as dull 'dour Scot, emotionless...brat like even. I think it was the moment he broke down in tears after losing the 2012 Wimbledon Final that people opened their hearts to him. Within a few weeks of that defeat he was an Olympic gold medalist (and silver medalist with Laura Robson in the mixed doubles!) and had won his first Grand Slam at the US Open.

Even the small things that don't get noticed such as when he pulled himself out of the recent Davis Cup tie against Serbia, he still flew over with the team and encouraged and cheered every point won from the sidelines. I think he's wonderful. Not because he's Scottish or anything like that but for all he has done not just for tennis in this country and worldwide but for sport and charity in general. They really couldn't have picked anyone better to fly the flag.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #24: Aug 03, 2016 11:49:34 pm
      In an era where we are spoilt for choice with regards to Great British sports stars that is an achievement in itself. But to be called the greatest British sportsman of all time is testament to just how highly he is thought of in this country. He wasn't the most popular of British sports stars at the start of his career and a lot of people were quite sniffy towards him because he was seen as dull 'dour Scot, emotionless...brat like even. I think it was the moment he broke down in tears after losing the 2012 Wimbledon Final that people opened their hearts to him. Within a few weeks of that defeat he was an Olympic gold medalist (and silver medalist with Laura Robson in the mixed doubles!) and had won his first Grand Slam at the US Open.

Even the small things that don't get noticed such as when he pulled himself out of the recent Davis Cup tie against Serbia, he still flew over with the team and encouraged and cheered every point won from the sidelines. I think he's wonderful. Not because he's Scottish or anything like that but for all he has done not just for tennis in this country and worldwide but for sport and charity in general. They really couldn't have picked anyone better to fly the flag.

You know what though?

When Murray first started doing interviews, he was quite funny and open, but he learned quickly that the press will just try and twist words, so he consulted an image, PR type person, and just became dour, serious, monotone etc because the press kept trying to F**k him over.
      He did an interview with the Guardian (I think) about it.
      When the interviewer asked him why he was so dull during post game interviews, Murray said; "Well, it's your own F***ing fault", meaning the media in general, for hounding him.

So since I read that, I've had a lot more respect for him, simply because he went; "F**k you, I'm not playing your games".
      Good on him, although I can't really put him as the top British athlete/sportsman of all time.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #25: Aug 04, 2016 12:07:45 am
      I've got a few tickets....

04/08 - Football - Men's Group Stage (Honduras v Algeria & Portugal v Argentina)
      06/08 - Basketball - Men's Group Stage (Australia v France)
      07/08 - Football - Men's Group Stage (Honduras v Portugal & Argentina v Algeria)
      08/08 - Tennis - Men's and Women's Simple and Doubles - 2nd round
      09/08 - Rugby - Men's Group Stage (6 matches)
      09/08 - Basketball - Men's Group Stage (Spain v Brazil)
      10/08 - Basketball - Men's Group Stage (Australia v USA)
      11/08 - Tennis - Men's QF and Women's SF, plus other games
      11/08 - Rugby - Men's 5th-8th dispute, Bronze match and Final
      13/08 - Basketball - Men's Group stage (Argentina v Brazil)
      17/08 - Basketball - Men's Quarter Final
      18/08 - Hockey - Men's Final
      18/08 - Volleyball - Women's Semifinal (both games)
      19/08 - Badminton - Men's and Women's Simple and Doubles - Semifinals and Finals
      19/08 - Basketball - Men's Semifinal
      19/08 - Hockey - Women's Final
      19/08 - Football - Women's Final
      19/08 - Volleyball - Men's Semifinals (both games)
      20/08 - Badminton - Men's Simple Finals
      20/08 - Handball - Women's Final
      20/08 - Football - Men's Final
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #26: Aug 04, 2016 01:43:53 am
      Being a yank. I hope to see the USA do well.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #27: Aug 04, 2016 09:50:26 am
      I've got a few tickets....

04/08 - Football - Men's Group Stage (Honduras v Algeria & Portugal v Argentina)
      06/08 - Basketball - Men's Group Stage (Australia v France)
      07/08 - Football - Men's Group Stage (Honduras v Portugal & Argentina v Algeria)
      08/08 - Tennis - Men's and Women's Simple and Doubles - 2nd round
      09/08 - Rugby - Men's Group Stage (6 matches)
      09/08 - Basketball - Men's Group Stage (Spain v Brazil)
      10/08 - Basketball - Men's Group Stage (Australia v USA)
      11/08 - Tennis - Men's QF and Women's SF, plus other games
      11/08 - Rugby - Men's 5th-8th dispute, Bronze match and Final
      13/08 - Basketball - Men's Group stage (Argentina v Brazil)
      18/08 - Hockey - Men's Final
      18/08 - Volleyball - Women's Semifinal (both games)
      19/08 - Badminton - Men's and Women's Simple and Doubles - Semifinals and Finals
      19/08 - Basketball - Men's Semifinal
      19/08 - Hockey - Women's Final
      19/08 - Football - Women's Final
      19/08 - Volleyball - Men's Semifinals (both games)
      20/08 - Badminton - Men's Simple Finals
      20/08 - Handball - Women's Final
      20/08 - Football - Men's Final

Just a 'few' eh mate? :D
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #28: Aug 04, 2016 12:27:10 pm
      Has to be looked at as Britains best ever sports star.

There's an interesting debate to be had there, but I'd put Daley Thompson ahead of anyone else I can think of at the moment.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #29: Aug 04, 2016 01:49:10 pm
      17,315 posts |  1332

โ†’ Reply #20 : Yesterday at 08:37:10 pm ยป

he was just 20 in 2000 at Sydney and he is at his 5th Games. he quite often turned up at Rainford at the local TT and would chat like he was just one of the lads as did Steve Cummins they are so far removed from the other Sportspeople who feel they are special.
      He has won events from 4k to 3000km I cant see Bolt winning any marathons soon. The Team Pursuit is going to be something extra special you don't want to miss it.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #30: Aug 04, 2016 08:56:09 pm
      Programme on BBC1 at 9pm about Mo Farah
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #31: Aug 04, 2016 09:34:37 pm
      Completely forgot about this, think I'll watch it on iPlayer tomorrow. Easily one of my favourite sports stars. When I first started watching athletics about 13 years ago all I knew about distance running was that Ethiopia and Kenya were the sh*t and nobody else can touch them. What he's been able to do to them in recent years is ridiculous!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #32: Aug 04, 2016 10:15:46 pm
      Completely forgot about this, think I'll watch it on iPlayer tomorrow. Easily one of my favourite sports stars. When I first started watching athletics about 13 years ago all I knew about distance running was that Ethiopia and Kenya were the sh*t and nobody else can touch them. What he's been able to do to them in recent years is ridiculous!

he must be the skinniest strongest man in the world,
      271 Russians cleared to compete which I think is a good thing if these people have worked hard and have been tested then I don't think they should be guilty by association
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #33: Aug 04, 2016 10:42:13 pm
      he must be the skinniest strongest man in the world,
      271 Russians cleared to compete which I think is a good thing if these people have worked hard and have been tested then I don't think they should be guilty by association

I agree on the Russians mate. Always seems harsh to tarnish everybody with the same brush and punish everybody when some have been working their arses off  for years to compete at the biggest sporting event in the world.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #34: Aug 05, 2016 02:17:25 am
      Love watching Mo Farah race and win. Just an awesome athlete and a true great of British sport. Also seen a documentary on Jessica Ennis and reminded how she was the poster girl of London 2012. Completely forgot about the pressure she had to deal with 4 years ago. Her gold in the heptathlon was something special for a special athlete! It was her and Mo along with Greg Rutherford that provided the games with its peak moment 4 years ago. 3 golds within 45 minutes in the Olympic Stadium that sent the place into a frenzy which was off the scale. Capped off an unbelievable day of achievement for British sport. Will always remember that Super Saturday.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #35: Aug 05, 2016 02:46:43 am
      Went to Portugal 2-0 Argentina tonight. Haha it's always funny to see the Argies lose!

Best player on the pitch in my opinion was Portugal's number 5. He started the game as CB and then moved to RB when Ilori came in. Looks like a very good player.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #36: Aug 05, 2016 10:14:04 am
      Its going to be a late one tonight if you want to see the opening ceremony lets hope it a great one for the people of Brazil they deserve it
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #37: Aug 05, 2016 11:23:21 am
      Just watching that Mo Farah documentary. It's so weird when he records at night, he looks like a different person.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #38: Aug 05, 2016 02:49:20 pm
      Never been less excited for an Olympics before.

I'll still watch most of it though :D
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #39: Aug 05, 2016 03:53:28 pm
      Agree Crouch feeling very "meh"
      about the Olympics these days.

Have a neighbors daughter running in the 800m for the Aussies-Selma Kajan will be keeping an eye out for that.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40: Aug 05, 2016 05:09:30 pm
      Can someone explain when the qaulifying was for the football in the Olympics, the teams involved seems really weird, like for example Iraq???
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #41: Aug 05, 2016 06:14:53 pm
      I will be trying to go for the full hit even though its going to late night stuff But I love seeing events I would normally never watch, Canoeing,Shooting,Archery,Rowing and sailing but I hope to see all of the Velodrome stuff mainly .
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #42: Aug 05, 2016 06:37:03 pm
      You'd think after hosting the games and being gripped by Olympic fever, Britain would be a bit more excited for these games. But the lack of attention towards Rio from the media and the general public has really been quite surprising. I think the Russia scandal has really sucked the anticipation out of these games but I also think that having hosted the World Cup no one is really THAT interested in Brazil as a country because we kind of got our insight two years ago. Add in the political and economic difficulties that the country has faced recently and you get the impression that this comes at an awkward time where focus and meaning has been lost. When Beijing hosted everyone went big on it because it was a statement of it's emerging power and global outlook. Sydney and London gave the Olympic movement an open, 'progressive' and inclusive voice that was refreshingly without political bravado while Athens reasserted the spirit and historical significance of the games both ancient and modern. What Rio stands for I'm not sure. However, I'm sure that after tonight everyone will embrace it and make these games a massive success.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #43: Aug 05, 2016 06:48:56 pm
      Makes it all worthwhile to watch!

Rio's Olympic Golf Course Overrun with Capybaras and Crocodiles Days Ahead of Summer Games

With many of the world's top golfers having already bowed out of this year's Olympic Games, those intrepid athletes brave enough to make the trip to Rio may be counting on an easier path to victory.

While it's true that the likes of Jason Day, Jordan Speith and Dustin Johnson won't be a threat to the attending golfers' Olympic hopes this year, capybaras, mini crocodiles, monkeys, boa constrictors and other native wildlife will.

The course that will host Olympic golf next Thursday is located in western Rio's Barra da Tijuca, an upscale neighborhood situated between two large lakes and on the edge of the Marapendi nature reserve.

The course was constructed last year despite protests from environmental activists who feared the devastating effects of encroaching on the reserve that serves as a home to rare butterflies, pines and other species not found anywhere else on the planet, according to The Guardian.

Because of its location, the course has become a new home for a host of Brazilian wildlife โ€“ including the capybara, the world's largest rodent that can weigh up to 150 pounds.

"They chew down on the grass at night," Mark Johnson, director of international agronomy for the PGA Tour told the National Post. "There are about 30-40 of them inside the course perimeter, but they live here and we play golf here, we co-exist."

The course is also home to three-toed sloths, monkeys, boa constrictors, owls and caimans (small crocodiles that can grow up to five feet in length), according to The Post. These critters are such frequent visitors that they've got their own local haunts โ€“ holes, 2, 3, 5 and 9.

The abundance of ground-nesting owls on the course could also lead to problems: They burrow into the ground and create holes about 20 centimeters in diameter, which could certainly derail even the best of putts.

While Olympic organizers may not have foreseen these problems, with just days until the Games they're doing their best to address them.

According to Brazilian newspaper Folha De Sao Paulo, the IOC has arranged to have a team of at least five biologists at the venue to move the caimans out of the way during the match.

http://www.people.com/article/rio-olympic-golf-course-overrun-wildlife

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #44: Aug 05, 2016 06:49:09 pm
      I really don't buy into the legacy or the Political issues I just love the Sport . A guy from the BBC was asking how Brazil would beat the UK opening ceremony..what a cretin . Give Newcastle a watch later hoping for a good start for Rafa and then the Opening Ceremony.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #45: Aug 05, 2016 07:00:45 pm
      Give Newcastle a watch later hoping for a good start for Rafa
      Don't respect Ashley; do respect Rafa. Hmm... I'll have a few quid on Fulham @ 3/1

Oh... aye... the Olympics - love 'em.  :laugh:

Quick Reply