Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

The Olympics 2016

Read 76380 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: The Olympics 2016
      Reply #69: Aug 06, 2016 06:39:22 am
      We have the most athletes ever this year but I don't know the exact number. 400+ athletes if i recall correctly

Really? Looked like 100?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #70: Aug 06, 2016 10:01:18 am
      I saw a comment that it looked like it had been produced by Milton Keynes County council with B&Q supplying the pot plants. I fell asleep but that seems a bit harsh
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #71: Aug 06, 2016 12:30:33 pm
      I saw a comment that it looked like it had been produced by Milton Keynes County council with B&Q supplying the pot plants. I fell asleep but that seems a bit harsh

Harsh. What it didn't have in spectacular appeal it made up with its strong message on Eco friendliness and global warming.

Everyone on Facebook and Twitter seemed to be comparing it unfavourably to Danny Boyle's effort 4 years ago but that is pointless when each games will present their own unique appeal.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #72: Aug 06, 2016 01:09:16 pm
      Harsh. What it didn't have in spectacular appeal it made up with its strong message on Eco friendliness and global warming.

Everyone on Facebook and Twitter seemed to be comparing it unfavourably to Danny Boyle's effort 4 years ago but that is pointless when each games will present their own unique appeal.

More importantly to me, the Brazilian public is very, very pleased. I've pretty much only seen and heard positive comments.
      Many of the cultural references and artists would be strange to foreigners but as a member of the organising committee I'm very happy, proud (and somewhat relieved) that it was a huge success for our people.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #73: Aug 06, 2016 01:18:22 pm
      Gotta echo that. I think they did a great job of the opening ceremony.

Some of it was lost on me but there was great colour, fireworks and music.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #74: Aug 06, 2016 01:30:36 pm
      Beautiful backdrop to the rowing!!

Not a bad view for the cycling either.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #75: Aug 06, 2016 01:35:24 pm
      Beautiful backdrop to the rowing!!

Not a bad view for the cycling either.

Lagoa is a beautiful place. One of my favourite parts of the city.

Watching handball now. Brazil v Norway
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #76: Aug 06, 2016 01:41:18 pm
      More importantly to me, the Brazilian public is very, very pleased. I've pretty much only seen and heard positive comments.
      Many of the cultural references and artists would be strange to foreigners but as a member of the organising committee I'm very happy, proud (and somewhat relieved) that it was a huge success for our people.

That's all that matters. If it energises and makes the host city and nation proud then that's the most important thing.

Loving the rowing setting as well. Got the road race on. You've got to love the setting of these Olympics. What a tour!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #77: Aug 06, 2016 01:49:24 pm
      Lagoa is a beautiful place. One of my favourite parts of the city.

Watching handball now. Brazil v Norway

It's easy to see why mate.

That's all that matters. If it energises and makes the host city and nation proud then that's the most important thing.

Loving the rowing setting as well. Got the road race on. You've got to love the setting of these Olympics. What a tour!

I've got the road race on (for now) :D. I'm always so undecided as to what to watch when the Olympics are on.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #78: Aug 06, 2016 02:47:20 pm
      That cyclist with a man bag full of goodies :D
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #79: Aug 06, 2016 03:08:47 pm

think the idea is that it appeals to a global audience of 3 billion.
      The rowers are having some difficulty  with the wind getting up and the boats filling up with water. Having done some sculling its a sport where the slightest balance problem ends up with the rower in the water. 
      This is going to be great because the Olympics from this point on is about the competitors and the public.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #80: Aug 06, 2016 03:15:26 pm
      Watching the Men's Road Race with Simon Brotherton and Chris Boardman who are both excellent commentators. It's strange not to be listening to Hugh Porter.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #81: Aug 06, 2016 03:22:32 pm
      Watching the Men's Road Race with Simon Brotherton and Chris Boardman who are both excellent commentators. It's strange not to be listening to Hugh Porter.

I have actually had Hugh Porter commentate on a race I rode in how cool is that.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #82: Aug 06, 2016 03:24:52 pm
      I have actually had Hugh Porter commentate on a race I rode in how cool is that.

You are officially cool.  :gt-happyup:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #83: Aug 06, 2016 03:28:50 pm
      Rowers having a struggle with the choppy conditions.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #84: Aug 06, 2016 03:47:07 pm
      That view of the waves in the background is stunning.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #85: Aug 06, 2016 03:47:32 pm
      Rowers having a struggle with the choppy conditions.

Did one team fall in?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #86: Aug 06, 2016 04:02:21 pm

Ha ha! That's brilliant! What sort of cycling did you race in?

Chris Boardman's a great commentator. Him and Hugh Porter in the games 4 years ago and in Beijing before were excellent. Brotherton's a good replacement.
      « Last Edit: Aug 06, 2016 04:40:25 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #87: Aug 06, 2016 04:18:00 pm

Chris Boardman's a great commentator. Him and High Porter in the games 4 years ago and in Beijing before were excellent. Brotherton's a good replacement.

Chris Boardman offers a lot of insight from his time as a professional cyclist and his subsequent involvement with the sport. It's hard to think of a former competitor in any sport who is as good as him.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #88: Aug 06, 2016 04:36:33 pm
      That looked a nasty crash into the wall by an Iranian cyclist.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #89: Aug 06, 2016 04:40:05 pm
      Chris Boardman offers a lot of insight from his time as a professional cyclist and his subsequent involvement with the sport. It's hard to think of a former competitor in any sport who is as good as him.

Totally agree. No one better than Boardman. It can often be difficult to understand the tactics being used in a road race but he is always informing as to what's going on. Martin Brundle used to be terrific commentating for f1 but these days he seems to have replaced insight with opinion.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #90: Aug 06, 2016 04:54:43 pm
      Just seen the rowing there on BBC 1. Uncomfortably big waves there.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #91: Aug 06, 2016 05:40:05 pm

Chris Boardman's a great commentator. Him and Hugh Porter in the games 4 years ago and in Beijing before were excellent. Brotherton's a good replacement.

world masters pursuit in 2005 I won my heat but fell a second or so short of a ride of for a medal but I can remember being in the starting gate when he said my name and I didn't recognise it because it was Hugh Porter saying it.
      I also did a bit of  rowing and choppy conditions are really difficult for these boats especially the lightweight crews

Quick Reply