Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The Olympics 2016

Read 75827 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      The Olympics 2016
      Aug 03, 2016 03:05:29 am

Forget the World Cup, the Euros and the rest - this is the greatest sporting event of them all and it's not long now before the Olympic Games commence once more!

Has it really been 4 years since London came and went? Only seems like yesterday we were going mad for Bradley Wiggins, Jess Ennis, Mo Farah and countless others (not forgetting Danny Boyle and co after THAT opening ceremony!) in the most proud and entertaining two weeks I have experienced in this country.

But now it is Rio's turn. What better place to follow London?! As is usual for all Olympic Games the build up has been met with controversy, scandal and outright scepticism but once that Olympic flame is lit you can bet that everyone will be glued to their tv screens willing on and cheering at the endeavours of the best sportsmen and women this world has to offer. Bring it on!

What are you most looking forward to over the next couple of weeks? As ever all eyes will be on Usain Bolt on the track once more but I cannot wait for the cycling where I think (and hope) that Laura Trott will be the star of the show!
      « Last Edit: Aug 03, 2016 02:37:19 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: The Olympics 2016
      Reply #1: Aug 03, 2016 09:57:22 am
      I have a particular interest in the Track cycling its going to be epic and we all need to get behind Brad Wiggins a good Red and we get to beat the Aussies in what will probably be a world record time. Also Laura Trott who is just a superstar along with her other half Jason Kenny and Johnathon Dibben we are going to set the Velodrome a light.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2: Aug 03, 2016 10:28:41 am
      I'm with you FMS, the greatest sporting event of all! Can't wait for this to get started. I will say though that it's been nothing short of a disaster in the lead up to the Olympics this year.

- People being attacked near the volleyball stadium.
      - Some of the Australian contingent had things robbed from their rooms after a fire alarm went off.
      - Shi Dongpeng (Chinese hurdler) and a journalist had their stuff robbed upon their arrival at a hotel in Brazil.
      - A dead body or two being fished out of the lake.
      - Stadiums/arenas still not ready.
      - A woman is alleged to have been raped whilst staying in temporary accommodation in the velodrome.
      - Swimmers being told to not open their mouths as they swim in the open water as it's 1.4 million times over the safety limit for bacteria.
      - There is the potential for sewage over spill into the open water for events like rowing, swimming, triathlon etc.

I really hope they get their sh*t together in time for everything to start.

I have a particular interest in the Track cycling its going to be epic and we all need to get behind Brad Wiggins a good Red and we get to beat the Aussies in what will probably be a world record time. Also Laura Trott who is just a superstar along with her other half Jason Kenny and Johnathon Dibben we are going to set the Velodrome a light.

Whatever happened to Philip Hindes? I remember him in the London Olympics but not anything of him since.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3: Aug 03, 2016 10:43:27 am
      Hindes will be in the Sprint and the Team Sprint where we should be doing well enough to get a medal or two.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4: Aug 03, 2016 11:05:50 am
      People being attacked near the volleyball stadium.
      - Some of the Australian contingent had things robbed from their rooms after a fire alarm went off.
      - Shi Dongpeng (Chinese hurdler) and a journalist had their stuff robbed upon their arrival at a hotel in Brazil.
      - A dead body or two being fished out of the lake.
      - Stadiums/arenas still not ready.
      - A woman is alleged to have been raped whilst staying in temporary accommodation in the velodrome.
      - Swimmers being told to not open their mouths as they swim in the open water as it's 1.4 million times over the safety limit for bacteria.
      - There is the potential for sewage over spill into the open water for events like rowing, swimming, triathlon etc.

Jesus. And Britain is supposed to be bad.  :D
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5: Aug 03, 2016 12:33:05 pm
      Jesus. And Britain is supposed to be bad.  :D

just seen some footage of the water where the Canoeists will be and you wouldn't get me anywhere near it no matter how many injections I had before hand. Like you say maybe our little Country aint that bad afterall
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #6: Aug 03, 2016 12:38:46 pm
      just keep an eye out for Pensby lad Steve Cummins who could well sneak off down the road and win a medal.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #7: Aug 03, 2016 06:26:00 pm
      Andy Murray will be carrying the flag for Great Britain at the opening ceremony.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #8: Aug 03, 2016 06:33:59 pm
      Andy Murray will be carrying the flag for Great Britain at the opening ceremony.

Had a feeling it'd be either him or Farah. Farah's arms would have probably snapped off having to hold the flag all the way round the stadium :D.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #9: Aug 03, 2016 06:42:56 pm

I don't like the bloke but I have tremendous respect for what he has  done in his sport.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #10: Aug 03, 2016 06:54:31 pm
      I watched Brad's programme the Road to Rio on SKY 1 when he was twelve he wrote an essay about where he would be in 10 years time and he wrote he would win an Olympic medal and wear the yellow jersey. His Teacher admitted on screen her and her colleague laughed at this and I couldn't help but be extremely angry at her. Is this what todays kids have to deal with Teachers who have no ambition for their futures it made my blood boil.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #11: Aug 03, 2016 07:28:37 pm
      I watched Brad's programme the Road to Rio on SKY 1 when he was twelve he wrote an essay about where he would be in 10 years time and he wrote he would win an Olympic medal and wear the yellow jersey. His Teacher admitted on screen her and her colleague laughed at this and I couldn't help but be extremely angry at her. Is this what todays kids have to deal with Teachers who have no ambition for their futures it made my blood boil.

Just watched that.

Big fan of Bradley Wiggans.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #12: Aug 03, 2016 07:44:01 pm
      I don't like the bloke but I have tremendous respect for what he has  done in his sport.

Has to be looked at as Britains best ever sports star.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #13: Aug 03, 2016 07:52:54 pm
      Always keen to see Bradley do well. My interest in track cycling started when I first saw him racing in like 2003/2004. Been to the velodrome in Manchester a few times since (but not in the past few years), I'll never forget how much my arse dropped when I saw how steep the sides of the track were :D.

You hear about this type of thing so much these days from professional sports stars, actors and other successful groups of people. Kids are always passed off as being unrealistic and silly. It's almost as though the teachers think it's too late for them to realise their dreams so decide to sh*t on the idea that their students have big dreams and still have time in their lives to achieve them.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #14: Aug 03, 2016 08:05:03 pm
      just seen some footage of the water where the Canoeists will be and you wouldn't get me anywhere near it no matter how many injections I had before hand. Like you say maybe our little Country aint that bad afterall

I think I read Rio state has gone bankrupt over hosting these games. Weren't the teachers striking because the state couldn't afford to pay them properly?

I usually enjoy the Olympics but so far there's been too many ordeals and it's left a bad taste in my mouth. Mind you not as bad as anyone having to swim in the open waters...
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #15: Aug 03, 2016 08:07:11 pm
      You hear about this type of thing so much these days from professional sports stars, actors and other successful groups of people. Kids are always passed off as being unrealistic and silly. It's almost as though the teachers think it's too late for them to realise their dreams so decide to sh*t on the idea that their students have big dreams and still have time in their lives to achieve them.

Heard a joke about this being the big difference between a British and an American upbringing. In USA they tell their kids they can be president; in Britain kids are told it'll probably never happen...

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #16: Aug 03, 2016 08:17:48 pm
      I think I read Rio state has gone bankrupt over hosting these games. Weren't the teachers striking because the state couldn't afford to pay them properly?

I usually enjoy the Olympics but so far there's been too many ordeals and it's left a bad taste in my mouth. Mind you not as bad as anyone having to swim in the open waters...

The Olympics cost a huge amount to put on, as does the World Cup.
      They always say the host earns it back, but they never do.

So, yes, like you I'm not really feeling it, but I suspect I'll get into it at some stage, even if it's just the footy and athletics.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #17: Aug 03, 2016 08:25:01 pm
      The Olympics cost a huge amount to put on, as does the World Cup.
      They always say the host earns it back, but they never do.

So, yes, like you I'm not really feeling it, but I suspect I'll get into it at some stage, even if it's just the footy and athletics.

To some extent, it was hugely irresponsible to let the same country host them both so close together.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #18: Aug 03, 2016 08:26:33 pm
      To some extent, it was hugely irresponsible to let the same country host them both so close together.

That's how it seems to me.

Anyway, I'll leave it there as I don't want to put a damper on other people enjoying the spectacle.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #19: Aug 03, 2016 08:33:06 pm
      That's how it seems to me.

Anyway, I'll leave it there as I don't want to put a damper on other people enjoying the spectacle.

Yea good point.

I'm sure once it's in full swing I'll enjoy it. I like seeing the combat sports. Knowing how little money there is in something like amateur wrestling and that we're watching guys just doing it purely for the love of the sport is a beautiful thing. To some extent I wish football, basketball etc weren't in it to keep the attention on the athletes where this is their one big moment.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #20: Aug 03, 2016 08:37:10 pm
      Looking forward to watching the Women's soccer team put the smack down once again.

Other than that, just hope there's no terrorism or criminal issues and the athletes all get to compete fairly.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #21: Aug 03, 2016 08:39:02 pm
      Yea good point.

I'm sure once it's in full swing I'll enjoy it. I like seeing the combat sports. Knowing how little money there is in something like amateur wrestling and that we're watching guys just doing it purely for the love of the sport is a beautiful thing. To some extent I wish football, basketball etc weren't in it to keep the attention on the athletes where this is their one big moment.

:laugh: I forgot about the boxing, so I'll probably watch that, but the finer points of wrestling, judo etc escape me, probably because I've never bothered to learn.
      I think though, that they go through the rules, so maybe I'll give them a go.

The only problem is really going to be the time difference, but I think it's only 4 hours, so not too bad.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #22: Aug 03, 2016 08:45:08 pm
      :laugh: I forgot about the boxing, so I'll probably watch that, but the finer points of wrestling, judo etc escape me, probably because I've never bothered to learn.
      I think though, that they go through the rules, so maybe I'll give them a go.

The only problem is really going to be the time difference, but I think it's only 4 hours, so not too bad.

Yep! Boxing is definitely easier to sit down and have some level of understanding of! One problem with that is they changed the rule and are allowing professional boxers to compete which sucks a little bit but they've capped it so it should only include those who recently turned pro. It's a step in the wrong direction but I think the boxing community generally agrees they shouldn't be allowing top-tier pros in it.

Rules in wrestling have changed a lot since it almost got dropped as an Olympic sport. They've focused on making it easier to follow so we'll see how it goes!

Quick Reply