Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The Olympics 2016

Read 75859 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Re: The Olympics 2016
      Reply #46: Aug 05, 2016 07:32:10 pm
      Can someone explain when the qaulifying was for the football in the Olympics, the teams involved seems really weird, like for example Iraq???

They qualify through participating at several youth level championships, for instance Iraq qualified as the third-place team along with South Korea and eventual winners Japan for taking part in the Asian U-23 Championship back in January.

The link from wiki tells you how each team qualified for the competition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics#Qualification
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #47: Aug 05, 2016 07:33:08 pm
      Don't respect Ashley; do respect Rafa. Hmm... I'll have a few quid on Fulham @ 3/1

Oh... aye... the Olympics - love 'em.  :laugh:

Ashley is one of those people you would dearly like to give a slap too and then another one just to make sure. Rafa lives just down the road from me and he is a gentleman and a scholar I want him to do well.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #48: Aug 05, 2016 07:39:45 pm
      I will be trying to go for the full hit even though its going to late night stuff But I love seeing events I would normally never watch, Canoeing,Shooting,Archery,Rowing and sailing but I hope to see all of the Velodrome stuff mainly .

My record buttons are going to get abused for the next few weeks :D. I'll usually watch anything Olympic related as long as Britain are involved. I'm really not a shooting fan at all but for an hour or so during London 2012 I was a huge shooting fan as Peter Wilson won gold :D.

You'd think after hosting the games and being gripped by Olympic fever, Britain would be a bit more excited for these games. But the lack of attention towards Rio from the media and the general public has really been quite surprising. I think the Russia scandal has really sucked the anticipation out of these games but I also think that having hosted the World Cup no one is really THAT interested in Brazil as a country because we kind of got our insight two years ago. Add in the political and economic difficulties that the country has faced recently and you get the impression that this comes at an awkward time where focus and meaning has been lost. When Beijing hosted everyone went big on it because it was a statement of it's emerging power and global outlook. Sydney and London gave the Olympic movement an open, 'progressive' and inclusive voice that was refreshingly without political bravado while Athens reasserted the spirit and historical significance of the games both ancient and modern. What Rio stands for I'm not sure. However, I'm sure that after tonight everyone will embrace it and make these games a massive success.

I always look forward to the Olympics but it's definitely not been given the attention it deserves by the media IMO, certainly not for the good reasons anyway. My grandparents usually buy numerous papers during the week, watch the news regularly, go on line etc. and they've asked me a couple of times in recent weeks about when the Olympics is due to start. This time 4 years ago people knew everything.

I agree with practically everything in your post mate. I think the fact that the turmoil in Brazil, the conditions over there (the bacteria in the lake, athletes being robbed, buildings/arenas not being fully completed), the doping scandal etc. are all huge problems existing at the same time just makes it even worse. It also doesn't help when so many athletes from 2012 are being found to have cheated just puts a dent on the prestige of the event.

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #49: Aug 05, 2016 07:49:36 pm
      It's still the pinnacle  for any athlete that's  the very reason so many take the risk to get to the top. Looking forward to seeing Usain tearing the track up again , a once in a lifetime type of athlete , honest funny good with the fans and most of all fast as fck when it counts ,
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #50: Aug 05, 2016 08:47:02 pm
      It's still the pinnacle  for any athlete that's  the very reason so many take the risk to get to the top. Looking forward to seeing Usain tearing the track up again , a once in a lifetime type of athlete , honest funny good with the fans and most of all fast as fck when it counts ,

Bolt is worth staying up for I just love the guy he really does have life sorted doesn't he a born natural athlete I do wish he would take on the 400m he would destroy it
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #51: Aug 05, 2016 09:01:14 pm
      Bolt is worth staying up for I just love the guy he really does have life sorted doesn't he a born natural athlete I do wish he would take on the 400m he would destroy it

There was talk of him turning to the long jump towards the end of his career wasn't there?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #52: Aug 05, 2016 09:55:42 pm
      There was talk of him turning to the long jump towards the end of his career wasn't there?

I wouldn't bet against him doing anything he wanted to do and be the best at it.
      Sounds as if Pele will not be there tonight which will be gutting. For those of us who remember the world on a black and white TV this man was the first world superstar and I truly hope he will be fit enough to attend
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #53: Aug 05, 2016 10:29:35 pm
      I wouldn't bet against him doing anything he wanted to do and be the best at it.
      Sounds as if Pele will not be there tonight which will be gutting. For those of us who remember the world on a black and white TV this man was the first world superstar and I truly hope he will be fit enough to attend

I read that about Pele, something about having an operation a couple of weeks ago. I wonder who will light the torch.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #54: Aug 05, 2016 10:35:33 pm
      https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/761664760332980224

Hilarious when Americans try to interpret cultural references that can only be understood by the host nation as seen at the end of the video above. 'London 2012: The Bizarre Goodbye. The ceremony ended with Batman running out of a burning car'!  :lmao:
      « Last Edit: Aug 05, 2016 10:47:37 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #55: Aug 05, 2016 10:37:52 pm
      Watched a programme not long ago about the Brazil team of 1970 ,don't believe there has been another team like that in my lifetime , incredible footballing machine with Pele at the helm of it worth a watch for anyone .
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #56: Aug 05, 2016 11:59:01 pm
      Now the moment is upon us I actually can't wait for the opening ceremony. 4 hours though? Definitely not gonna manager to watch all of this tonight.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,116 posts | 4880 
      Reply #57: Aug 06, 2016 12:12:45 am
      Now the moment is upon us I actually can't wait for the opening ceremony. 4 hours though? Definitely not gonna manager to watch all of this tonight.

Surely the ceremony isn't 4 hours long?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #58: Aug 06, 2016 12:22:17 am
      Surely the ceremony isn't 4 hours long?

The London 2012 ceremony was. I'm sure I heard them mention 4 hours earlier. Might be a bit less but the programme is on til 4am.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,116 posts | 4880 
      Reply #59: Aug 06, 2016 12:23:49 am
      The London 2012 ceremony was. I'm sure I heard them mention 4 hours earlier. Might be a bit less but the programme is on til 4am.

I watched the London one live and a re run and it didn't feel like 4 hours.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #60: Aug 06, 2016 12:24:56 am
      I watched the London one live and a re run and it didn't feel like 4 hours.

I didn't think it was that long either at first but I found this on YouTube...

https://youtu.be/4As0e4de-rI
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #61: Aug 06, 2016 12:40:00 am
      I didn't think it was that long either at first but I found this on YouTube...

https://youtu.be/4As0e4de-rI

Got it on DVD, the BBC one where you have the option of commentary or no commentary. Much MUCH better sound on the BBC broadcast than the IOC broadcast. You really got the full thrust of Underworld's epic soundtrack on it!

Liking Rio's canvass floor performance I must say. A lot more sparse compared to London's stage show setting but  expressive with it...as you'd expect in the country of samba!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #62: Aug 06, 2016 12:41:56 am
      Got it on DVD, the BBC one where you have the option of commentary or no commentary. Much MUCH better sound on the BBC broadcast than the IOC broadcast. You really got the full thrust of Underworld's epic soundtrack on it!

Liking Rio's canvass floor performance I must say. A lot more sparse compared to London's stage show setting but  expressive with it...as you'd expect in the country of samba!

I kept meaning to get the DVD but didn't in the end. I sometimes watch videos on YouTube of some of the events and the Olympic channel commentary isn't anywhere near as good as BBC.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #63: Aug 06, 2016 12:42:50 am
      Flamengo is the only team mentioned during the ceremony :)
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #64: Aug 06, 2016 01:07:04 am
      Flamengo is the only team mentioned during the ceremony :)

How many more athletes are there for Brazil in this Olympics than in previous years (if there are more)?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #65: Aug 06, 2016 01:15:01 am
      I kept meaning to get the DVD but didn't in the end. I sometimes watch videos on YouTube of some of the events and the Olympic channel commentary isn't anywhere near as good as BBC.

Get it. Very cheap to buy. I always get shivers when the Olympic Rings start moving in on themselves and then light up in sparks and fire.

Which reminds me - where are the rings in Rio?! Have I missed them?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #66: Aug 06, 2016 03:03:36 am
      Ahh there are the rings! Nice touch!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #67: Aug 06, 2016 04:01:16 am
      How many more athletes are there for Brazil in this Olympics than in previous years (if there are more)?

We have the most athletes ever this year but I don't know the exact number. 400+ athletes if i recall correctly
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #68: Aug 06, 2016 04:01:24 am
      I love my city so much.

Quick Reply