Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The Olympics 2016

Read 75847 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: The Olympics 2016
      Reply #1288: Aug 21, 2016 07:49:22 pm
      Inverdale is such a tw*t
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1289: Aug 21, 2016 07:50:02 pm
      Fair play but tough luck to Joe Joyce. Been amazing following him at these Olympics. Great words by Anthony Joshua towards Joe there.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1290: Aug 21, 2016 07:55:52 pm
      we can all go back now to being negative about football this positive stuff isn't all its made out to be
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1291: Aug 21, 2016 07:56:40 pm
      we can all go back now to being negative about football this positive stuff isn't all its made out to be

The Olympics took my mind off the pathetic display by us yesterday, I'm fu**ed from now on :D.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1292: Aug 21, 2016 08:05:05 pm
      Gold for Brazil in Volleyball to finish off a brilliant Olympics. That was so very special. Our country is so proud of our volleyball teams. The women didnt have much luck this time but they are also twice gold medalists. One player of the mens team in particular has done history: four Olympic finals in a row, 2 golds and 2 silvers. Serginho, what a legend. One of the greatest athletes this country has ever had. Olympic champion at home at the age of 40. I am drunk and so very proud to have worked in the organisation of the Games. We had our issues but in the end all went well. I am missing the Games already.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1293: Aug 21, 2016 08:11:16 pm
      Gold for Brazil in Volleyball to finish off a brilliant Olympics. That was so very special. Our country is so proud of our volleyball teams. The women didnt have much luck this time but they are also twice gold medalists. One player of the mens team in particular has done history: four Olympic finals in a row, 2 golds and 2 silvers. Serginho, what a legend. One of the greatest athletes this country has ever had. Olympic champion at home at the age of 40. I am drunk and so very proud to have worked in the organisation of the Games. We had our issues but in the end all went well. I am missing the Games already.

I'm not the biggest fan of volleyball but it was worth watching for the atmosphere alone. It's turned out to be a seriously good games, you're not the only one missing it mate. I'm just glad you managed to get into track cycling! :D

I'm always nervous when it starts and gutted when it finishes. Fingers crossed we don't hear of any doping from this one in the next few years.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1294: Aug 21, 2016 08:24:39 pm

He really, really is. How has he not been sacked yet is well beyond me. The real Alan Partridge.

Anyways, a good games and a great games for Team GB. Not having that boxing result at the end there like but F**k it. Got to love the Olympics, hope Brazil now show the paralympic game some respect and get their acts together.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1295: Aug 21, 2016 08:24:45 pm

the actual sport has been wonderful and the venues and backdrop stunning I enjoyed every moment of it even the Girls twirling stuff I thought they were great
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1296: Aug 21, 2016 08:44:23 pm
      Kate Richardson Walsh to carry the flag for Great Britain in the closing ceremony. Personally would have chosen Nick Skelton but it just goes to show the embarrassment of riches BOA had when it came to choosing!

The Olympics took my mind off the pathetic display by us yesterday, I'm fu**ed from now on :D.

Ha ha! I don't know what I'll do now! I've loved these games (no doubt helped by Great Britain's astonishing performance!). There was a real worry before the start of these games that it just would not be taken with the same enthusiasm as London or Beijing before it. The lack of attention paid to Rio in the run up made me question whether the Olympics were happening this year which really heightened anxieties that a post London hangover was about to happen. Thankfully it didn't!

The fact they were able to still pull it off despite that is an amazing achievement more so when you consider the controversies of the Russian doping scandal beforehand and the hysteria surrounded by the Zika virus.

Compare these Olympics to the f**king awful Euro 2016 and it's vulgar fan behaviour, violent policing and appalling football and you realise how much more the Olympics and all the other sports can provide in comparison to any football tournament. Because it offers so much more it leaves a bigger vacuum to fill which is why it's always a sad occasion when the Olympic flame goes out.
      « Last Edit: Aug 21, 2016 08:56:50 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1297: Aug 21, 2016 08:56:46 pm
      I have got the Tour of Spain for 3 weeks now Chris Froome going for a double Grand Tour
      MsGerrard
      Reply #1298: Aug 21, 2016 11:50:42 pm
      Watching the highlights of all our great Olympic GB winners, wow, how proud are we of all our girls and boys, for a country the size of Great Britain, we have done magnificently and to come second in the medal table deserves a massive round of applause  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: we are getting better and better all the time and what I've loved is seeing all the different sports that we don't see very often on tv like Fencing, hockey, table tennis, volleyball etc, all very enjoyable to watch.

My favourites have been Jason Kenny and Laura Trott, what a fab couple they are  8)

Roll on 2020 and Tokyo  :)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #1299: Aug 22, 2016 12:01:30 am
      Diego, I hope your at the closing ceremony and you enjoy it immensley if you're there  8)
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1300: Aug 22, 2016 12:09:14 am
      Can't wait for the victory parade in Manchester. Definitely getting myself to that.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1301: Aug 22, 2016 12:18:12 am
      Watching the highlights of all our great Olympic GB winners, wow, how proud are we of all our girls and boys, for a country the size of Great Britain, we have done magnificently and to come second in the medal table deserves a massive round of applause  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: we are getting better and better all the time and what I've loved is seeing all the different sports that we don't see very often on tv like Fencing, hockey, table tennis, volleyball etc, all very enjoyable to watch.

My favourites have been Jason Kenny and Laura Trott, what a fab couple they are  8)

Roll on 2020 and Tokyo  :)

Totally agree MsG! So many great moments. Bradley Wiggins topping his amazing career with another gold in that nerve wracking team pursuit against Australia. Mo Farah doing the double again - probably my vote for Sports Personality.

British sport has never had it so good...with current Tour de France, F1 World Champion and Wimbledon champion to boot!

Cannot wait for Tokyo. That will be amazing! Already excited for the Opening Ceremony of that one! Going to be beautiful!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1302: Aug 22, 2016 12:48:10 am
      Totally agree MsG! So many great moments. Bradley Wiggins topping his amazing career with another gold in that nerve wracking team pursuit against Australia. Mo Farah doing the double again - probably my vote for Sports Personality.

British sport has never had it so good...with current Tour de France, F1 World Champion and Wimbledon champion to boot!

Cannot wait for Tokyo. That will be amazing! Already excited for the Opening Ceremony of that one! Going to be beautiful!

I feel like Tokyo are really going to put on a show. Congrats on breaking the 1600 +'s milestones
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1303: Aug 22, 2016 12:49:58 am
      Singers barely audible on this closing ceremony similar to the opening ceremony. They should really give full sound and camera control to the director of the ceremony as they did for Danny Boyle in the 2012 opening ceremony rather than allowing the Olympic Broadcasting Corporation do it. Boy, did that make a difference.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1304: Aug 22, 2016 01:55:40 am
      Wow! This Tokyo handover section is immense! Japanese Prime Minister enters as Super Mario...no really! Never known these hand over segments not to be sh*t...until now!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1305: Aug 22, 2016 09:05:35 am
      So in the end, those were the events I actually attended:

04/08
      - Men's Football: Portugal v Argentina

06/08
      - Men's Basketball: Australia v France

07/08
      - Men's Football: Argentina v Algeria

08/08
      - Tennis (Men's & Women's): 2nd round (including Kerber and Del Potro games)

09/08
      - Men's Basketball: Brazil v Spain

10/08
      - Men's Basketball: Australia v USA

11/08
      - Tennis (Men's and Women's): Third round (including Nadal and Murray games)

12/08
      - Cycling Track (Men's and Women's): lots of different events, highlight of the Olympics for me

13/08
      - Men's Basketball: Brazil v Argentina

15/08
      - Cycling Track (Men's and Women's)

16/08

17/08
      - Taekwondo (Men's and Women's): QFs and SFs
      - Men's Basketball: QF (USA v Argentina)
      - Men's Basketball: QF (Croatia v Serbia)

18/08
      - Women's Volleyball: SF (USA v Serbia)
      - Men's Hockey: Final (Argentina v Belgium)

19/08
      - Badminton (Men's and Women's): Men's Doubles final, Men's Singles semifinal, Women's Singles final
      - Men's Basketball: SF (Spain v USA)
      - Men's Volleyball: SF (Brazil v Russia)

20/08
      - Men's Badminton: Bronze and Gold Medal matches
      - Men's Football: Final (Brazil v Germany)

I went to all of this working night shifts (from 10pm to 7am) in the Main Operations Centre (MOC) of the Rio 2016 Organising Committee.
      I can't put into words just how tired I am. But pleased with the work we've done and proud of the Olympics.
      Now looking forward to the Paralympic Games... and a few days later, I'll be in Liverpool! Not a bad year this...
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1306: Aug 22, 2016 09:13:47 am
      I think those two are the best pictures I took during the Games:

Olympic Football Final (this is seconds before Neymar's free kick goal)

Cycling Track

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1307: Aug 22, 2016 09:56:14 am
      MsGerrard
      Reply #1308: Aug 22, 2016 02:03:13 pm
      Can't wait for the victory parade in Manchester. Definitely getting myself to that.

Me too mcarz, would be brilliant to welcome back our stars of Rio2016.

We had so many great moments to cherish hun, sounds like a lot of them will be honoured too which is great.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1309: Aug 22, 2016 03:25:20 pm
      As someone who has loved the Olympics ever since the Montreal games in 1976, I always feel a sense of sadness when it's over. I haven't watched as much of Rio 2016 as I have with some previous Olympics, but enough to thoroughly enjoy it. I thought Rio did a fine job overall, in spite of doubts beforehand. The BBC did the business again with their coverage and the quality of their commentators and pundits.

My favourite moment was seeing Mo Farah complete the double double. What a fantastic achievement that is and of course the same applies to Usain Bolt.

Goodbye Rio 2016.  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:  :'(

I'm looking forward to Tokyo 2020 already.  :)
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1310: Aug 22, 2016 04:04:02 pm
      So in the end, those were the events I actually attended:

04/08
      - Men's Football: Portugal v Argentina

06/08
      - Men's Basketball: Australia v France

07/08
      - Men's Football: Argentina v Algeria

08/08
      - Tennis (Men's & Women's): 2nd round (including Kerber and Del Potro games)

09/08
      - Men's Basketball: Brazil v Spain

10/08
      - Men's Basketball: Australia v USA

11/08
      - Tennis (Men's and Women's): Third round (including Nadal and Murray games)

12/08
      - Cycling Track (Men's and Women's): lots of different events, highlight of the Olympics for me

13/08
      - Men's Basketball: Brazil v Argentina

15/08

16/08

17/08
      - Taekwondo (Men's and Women's): QFs and SFs
      - Men's Basketball: QF (USA v Argentina)
      - Men's Basketball: QF (Croatia v Serbia)

18/08
      - Women's Volleyball: SF (USA v Serbia)
      - Men's Hockey: Final (Argentina v Belgium)

19/08
      - Badminton (Men's and Women's): Men's Doubles final, Men's Singles semifinal, Women's Singles final
      - Men's Basketball: SF (Spain v USA)
      - Men's Volleyball: SF (Brazil v Russia)

20/08
      - Men's Badminton: Bronze and Gold Medal matches
      - Men's Football: Final (Brazil v Germany)

I went to all of this working night shifts (from 10pm to 7am) in the Main Operations Centre (MOC) of the Rio 2016 Organising Committee.
      I can't put into words just how tired I am. But pleased with the work we've done and proud of the Olympics.
      Now looking forward to the Paralympic Games... and a few days later, I'll be in Liverpool! Not a bad year this...

Didn't get to see much then huh? :D Happy for you and your country to host such an amazing event. There's nothing more unifying for a country than the Olympics IMO.

I'm going through withdrawal already :(.

Following on from what HTH said, I've got to give props to the BBC for their coverage. If you missed the early hours coverage then it was replayed minute for minute the next morning on TV. The wide range of sports that they covered was ridiculous and the commentators that they had involved were top notch. More countries won medals than ever before, so many countries won their first ever medals (Fiji & Kosovo just two of them).

Events for GB that impressed me the most: cycling, rowing, swimming, hockey & gymnastics.

Individuals that impressed me the most: Mo Farah becoming the most successful GB athlete in track and field, Nick Skelton showing that you should never give up on your dreams regardless of your age & Max Whitlock not only being the first GB gymnast to win gold but also the first GB gymnast to become double Olympic champion and also becoming the most decorated GB gymnast in Olympic history.

I also LOVED the women's hockey team in Rio. What performances!

Quick Reply