Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Arsenal v Liverpool pre-match thread 14/8/16 4pm ko

Read 18011 times
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Re: Arsenal v Liverpool pre-match thread 14/8/16 4pm ko
      Reply #92: Aug 12, 2016 04:42:38 pm
      Far to many of them"gooners"round these parts,with their fake muppets cockney accents,hope we destroy em,we're due a big win at their place,no? but happy with a draw.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #93: Aug 12, 2016 04:46:09 pm
      Got absolutely no idea which way this will go.

The range of scorelines and results that I can see being plausible is unreal. I wouldn't be surprised to see us thump them 4-1 and at the same time I can see us losing 3-0.

If we play anywhere near the level we are capable of and showed against Barcelona (and minimise defensive errors) then I think we'll win but have to be at our best. Can't be thinking because they're weak at the back they don't have the quality to hurt us.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #94: Aug 12, 2016 04:50:46 pm
      I would love to see:

Clyne Lovren Klavan Moreno
                      Can
               Hendo   Coutinho
          Mane   Origi  Firmino

As mentioned, they should have a couple of inexperienced CB's playing, so I think we should go with a #9.

littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #95: Aug 12, 2016 04:54:09 pm
      Well, you better get on the blower to Klopp and tell him hadn't you.

Maybe you can advise him to play Klavan at LB.
      The most worrying and indigestible aspect of this game , is  that two of our worst players ,  Mignolet & Moreno , from last season , are starting this game.  We've had enough time to have avoided this.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #96: Aug 12, 2016 06:26:38 pm
      Did I miss something?  Is Origi injured?

If Sturbridge isn't fit then I don't see how so many people are having Origi on the bench.  He's shown he's more than capable of starting for us up front.  Him with Coutinho/Firmino/Mane behind would seem a no brainer.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,612 posts | 558 
      Reply #97: Aug 12, 2016 06:31:07 pm
      Possibly the best time to play Arsenal away - don't think their opening day fixtures have gone too well in recent years...
      Hope Jürgen has the Barcelona Liverpool ready and not the Mainz rabble.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #98: Aug 12, 2016 06:53:47 pm
      Really wish this was Saturday instead of Sunday. I can't wait that long!
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #99: Aug 12, 2016 07:09:40 pm
      There are about 3 places up for grabs:

I think Klavan has nailed down his starting spot, but Matip could come in for Lovren.  My guess is Lovren as Matip will still be short of fitness.

It's anyone's guess whether it will be Wijnaldum or Hendo to partner Can.  My guess is Hendo.

It looks like it will be either Firmino or Origi up top, but don't rule out our most efficient goal scorer (Studge) proving that he should be included from the start.  I'm guessing it will be Firmino based on the attacking trio from most of preseason.

Other than that:  Migs, Clyne, Klavan, Moreno, Can, Mane, Lallana, and Coutinho all seem nailed on to start. 

Think we are going to overwhelm Arsenal from the opening whistle.  A first half blitz followed by a dull second half ending as 3-0 to the good guys :)
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #100: Aug 12, 2016 07:32:08 pm
      I hope Origi starts, has been showing the same form he displayed last season. Would probably be the right time to play two up top with Arsenals injuries. I'll be in work, hungover most likely so won't get to see it until I'm home!
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #101: Aug 12, 2016 07:49:06 pm
      Always a toughie, but I'm confident of the win in our opening fixture. As long as the pace and high press is evident as it was against Barcelona the other week, then I can foresee a decent win. 1-3 red men!
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #102: Aug 12, 2016 08:34:57 pm
      They're looking at a defence of:

Bellerin - Chambers - Monreal/youngster - Gibbs

If we can't get goals against that...

Yep, if ever there's a time to do one over on them, with their defensive injuries, now is it.

I'd have Origi on from the start. Would be strange to start first game without a recognised striker, but I guess the result will justify whatever means. But they are deffo exposed at the back if we have the ambition to go at them - you have to think Klopp is the man for that :)
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #103: Aug 12, 2016 09:24:36 pm
      Nearly every time i see positivities going into a game (we'll win, easy game etc), we end up drawing or losing, can't we have more negativity? :D
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #104: Aug 12, 2016 09:47:45 pm
      Let's get the first win and set the right momentum early.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #105: Aug 12, 2016 10:04:51 pm
      I think Klavan and Lovren are going to make the CB spot their own this season. Think they look very comfortable together and should give us the solid platform at the back to get that goals against total right down especially once Mignolet can be relegated to the bench.

I think we may go 3 in midfield against Arsenal because they are so strong in that area, with Firmino and Coutinho as the attackers with Origi if fit as the focus. Ings or maybe Lallana coming in if Origi is not quite ready yet.

Mignolet

Clyne               Lovren              Klavan             Moreno

Henderson       Can    Gigi

Firmino           Coutinho

Origi (if fit)

Going for a tight 2-1 win as we cling on for that all important good start to the season.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #106: Aug 12, 2016 10:23:15 pm
      They're looking at a defence of:

Bellerin - Chambers - Monreal/youngster - Gibbs

Those makeshift CBs are indeed dodgy but I rate Bellerin and Gibbs. 
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #107: Aug 12, 2016 10:37:15 pm
      I actually wouldn't mind seeing Stewart in midfield, along with Can.  Stewart is defensively minded, he did very, very well against Barca, I think he'd be a far better option than Henderson.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #108: Aug 13, 2016 12:28:57 am
      I think it says a lot about Jürgen that we don't panic anymore when Sturridge gets injured. In fact, I can imagine that many of us may prefer Origi over Sturridge at the moment - purely on form.

This is a far cry from the start of last year and the season before when we had an existential crisis anytime Sturridge was injured. Massive credit to Origi himself, but he's come on leaps and bounds since Klopp arrived. I watched him against Crystal Palace in the league at home last year and I thought we had another David N'Gog on our hands - arguably the worst indictment a striker could have in Liverpool. It has been the most remarkable transformation in such a short space of time.

And who knows - perhaps we may have more stars lined up (e.g. Mane) if they can fulfil their potential.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #109: Aug 13, 2016 01:33:15 am
      6-0 to Us. If we can thump Barca 4-0 we can whip these cockney losers.

Although I work sundays in a pub, and Liverpool played a lot of games on sundays, and Liverpool lost a lot of games on sundays, trust me I fecking know this!

However I am confident we will have a good one this year, and we will get off to a stormer!
      rossyred

• 9,070 posts | 1615 
      Reply #110: Aug 13, 2016 09:11:23 am
                                  Origi

Lallana              Coutinho               Mane

No brainer for me but for whatever reason it wont happen .Couts probably shunted out on left which IMO is wasted and is through balls and creativity are negated.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,577 posts | 6635 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #111: Aug 13, 2016 09:18:03 am
      Not to put a dampener on the start of a new season, but from a personal point, Footy will never be the same again for me especially watching our beloved Liverpool.

As some of you may know from my Facebook posts, whilst I was away on my overseas trip, my mate who was also on his own trip was tragically hit and killed by a drunk and drugged driver in Ibiza. He was one of my best ever mates and a fanatical Liverpool supporter as well. We'd talk and text before, during and after every game. We travelled all over Australia together whenever the Reds came to town and our next trip together was going to be to Anfield.

I remember how on the first day I met he came to work where I work and he was being introduced, I said Hi my name is Ian, do you follow anyone in the Premier League and he said LIVERPOOL. We became friends for life, unfortunately his was cut short so I have many emotions flowing out of me at the moment.

I know he will be up there cheering us on and hoping he gets us over the line for Number 19 starting with a famous win at Arsenal on the weekend.

To my Bro, Ara in heaven....You'll Never Walk Alone....I love ya mate and am missing you like crazy.
      +18
      rossyred

• 9,070 posts | 1615 
      Reply #112: Aug 13, 2016 09:23:48 am
      Not to put a dampener on the start of a new season, but from a personal point, Footy will never be the same again for me especially watching our beloved Liverpool.

As some of you may know from my Facebook posts, whilst I was away on my overseas trip, my mate who was also on his own trip was tragically hit and killed by a drunk and drugged driver in Ibiza. He was one of my best ever mates and a fanatical Liverpool supporter as well. We'd talk and text before, during and after every game. We travelled all over Australia together whenever the Reds came to town and our next trip together was going to be to Anfield.

I remember how on the first day I met he came to work where I work and he was being introduced, I said Hi my name is Ian, do you follow anyone in the Premier League and he said LIVERPOOL. We became friends for life, unfortunately his was cut short so I have many emotions flowing out of me at the moment.

I know he will be up there cheering us on and hoping he gets us over the line for Number 19 starting with a famous win at Arsenal on the weekend.

To my Bro, Ara in heaven....You'll Never Walk Alone....I love ya mate and am missing you like crazy.

Tragic news and I hope you find a way of watching the team you both love and use as a way of remembering the times you had together. YNWA
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #113: Aug 13, 2016 09:48:31 am

Ian that is so sad mate and you have my deepest sympathy,take care mate and look after yourself.Football takes a back seat when something like this happens, stay strong and if I can help you in any way drop me a pm.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,272 posts | 1435 
      Reply #114: Aug 13, 2016 11:48:38 am

Awful awful news mate & tragic,my thoughts and condolences to yourself & both of your families.

Quick Reply