Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Websites/search engines and other blah!

Read 6213 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Websites/search engines and other blah!
      Aug 10, 2016 04:20:26 pm
      It's looking likely that I'll need to quit my current job in the next few weeks and rather than get another job I'm considering going alone.

I need a website setting up for advertising but also need info on search engines as its pretty pointless having a website if folks can't find you.

I know there's loads of companies that offer free websites but how do I go about linking it to Google etc and anyone know what the costs are?  Or would I be better just using Facebook?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Websites/search engines and other blah!
      Reply #1: Aug 10, 2016 04:32:27 pm
      It's looking likely that I'll need to quit my current job in the next few weeks and rather than get another job I'm considering going alone.

I need a website setting up for advertising but also need info on search engines as its pretty pointless having a website if folks can't find you.

I'm sure JD will know a lot on this.

What is your line of work Deb?

I know there's loads of companies that offer free websites but how do I go about linking it to Google etc and anyone know what the costs are?  Or would I be better just using Facebook?

I think that when you set your website up you'll be approached by a few regarding getting yourself high up the list on searches, etc. Sure we did when I set up.

I'm moving office at the end of the month so our old school website will be getting tarted up.

And DO use Facebook and Twitter for networking as well as having your website.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2: Aug 10, 2016 04:42:45 pm
      I think that when you set your website up you'll be approached by a few regarding getting yourself high up the list on searches, etc. Sure we did when I set up.

I'm moving office at the end of the month so our old school website will be getting tarted up.

And DO use Facebook and Twitter for networking as well as having your website.

I'm a hairdresser mate so I don't need anything fancy, just something to put a few pics on, prices, products etc.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #3: Aug 10, 2016 04:58:29 pm
      I'm a hairdresser mate so I don't need anything fancy, just something to put a few pics on, prices, products etc.

The Ex-Missus is a hairdresser and all she done was set up her own Facebook page, and  done well with that only.

She just got all her usual customers to 'like' and share her page. She soon gathered up a big following.

EDIT: And from what I recall you can 'sponsor' posts. So say you have pictures of your work or offers, you sponsor them by paying a couple of quid and they show up on people in the area's Facebook feeds.

Hope this helps.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4: Aug 10, 2016 05:05:32 pm
      The Ex-Missus is a hairdresser and all she done was set up her own Facebook page, and  done well with that only.

She just got all her usual customers to 'like' and share her page. She soon gathered up a big following.

It's probably the route I'll take too mate, it's not like I need to be brimming with clients everyday to replace my current income.

Thanks for that added bit of info.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #5: Aug 10, 2016 05:20:54 pm

EDIT: And from what I recall you can 'sponsor' posts. So say you have pictures of your work or offers, you sponsor them by paying a couple of quid and they show up on people in the area's Facebook feeds.

Hope this helps.

Just to add to that, when you sponsor a post you can set a budget and it should tell you how many people it's likely to reach.

You can also target specific demographics by age/gender/location etc.

https://www.facebook.com/business/a/boost-a-post
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #6: Aug 10, 2016 05:26:15 pm
      A nice simple website, either do it yourself with Wix, or something similar, or pay someone (cost maybe a grand) and also set up a Facebook page for your company/product and advertise your services/website through that.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #7: Aug 10, 2016 08:53:43 pm

Start with Facebook and then build from there as necessary.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #8: Aug 11, 2016 03:07:52 pm
      For something a bit more technical and in depth than Facebook, Twitter etc.;
      https://moz.com/beginners-guide-to-seo

SEO is search engine optimisation, and is used to boost your visibility on search engines, however as others have said for small businesses Facebook, Twitter etc may suffice.

Quick Reply